Can I turn off level shift?

Falconfury

Even with level synch - a 65 losing to a 15 (which isn't even possible, since the first planet open to both factions is Nar Shaddaa, where the areas except for the promenade are stictly separated - actual open world pvp doesn't happen prior to Tatooine) would require an exceptional difference in skill level that cannot be assumed. The same in a more realistic 30 vs 65 scenario. Sure, they may be both scaled down, but just as any somewhat decent player can wade through the hordes of lowly trash mobs (when I recently farmed the kill 500 enemy soldiers achievements on Voss, I pulled all the groups I could get without them resetting, usually resulting in about two dozen npcs shooting me at once), they can cut through players half their level, given the same skill level.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

L15s cannot enter hard mode flashpoints.

Regarding Tacticals:

I never mentioned HM FPs, so /ignoring your straw man.

Not sure what you think the link proves about tacticals. I never said they couldn't be done, I just said that a level 15 in a tactical FP has a different experience than a level 65.

I wasn't on a PVE server back then. I didn't know what PVE and PVP meant so I'd chosen a PVP server.

So your bad, then. Don't get mad at other people for mistakes you made.

I'm sorry but if you think it's okay to go bully low level players then you need to reevaluate how you treat people. It's rude and stupid to sit there and attack low level players when you're at max. When people were level 50 attacking the level 15 players back then it was absolutely disgusting.

Nah, actually it was pretty fun. And the guild I was in back then actually hung out on line waiting for lowbies in our faction to call out people ganking them and then we sent out an ops group to gank the gankers. That was [launch] OWPVP. I'm sorry you picked the wrong server type, but don't blame the people who knowingly chose their server type for not conforming to your error.

Level shift keeps buttholes like that from trying. They still have better gear but at the end of the day someone who wants to bully lower level players isn't looking for a level playing field because they know that they can't beat someone on their own level. They won't risk ganking now because there's a chance they can lose when everyone is put down to the same level.

LOL, read everything else I've posted. Level sync makes it *somewhat* harder to gank lowbies, but set bonus + extra skills + expertise (which currently still works) + experience at PVP means that even with level sync, a group of PVPers is still going to pwn a solo PVE scrub. If you are solo PVE lowbie in an OWPVP zone and aren't getting ganked, it's just because nobody thinks you are worth ganking.

And again, *most* PVPers didn't gank lowbies (even back in the day) for sport, it was usually to get high level attention for real combats. Now obviously, there were some *****, but there are plenty of PVE ***** as well.

Level sync does nothing to reduce your chances of getting ganked in OWPVP.

Just one of the reasons I wont be resubbing. There should be a switch to turn it on or off so you can do your own thing or help low level players -- But then you realize, nobody is running around leveling up and doing group content anymore. Planets are virtually dead.

They still have better gear but at the end of the day someone who wants to bully lower level players isn't looking for a level playing field because they know that they can't beat someone on their own level. They won't risk ganking now because there's a chance they can lose when everyone is put down to the same level.

I level 65 player, down-synced to level 15, is going to mop the floor with an opponent that is actually AT level 15.

The lowbie hasn't unlocked any passive skills that give synergy between abilities. Doesn't have any of the hard hitting abilities. No force/ammo/heat management abilities, either. He or she has very little chance against the max-level character with a fully unlocked ability set.

Level sync is quite silly in this regard. When you visit lower-level planets, you are so far overpowered that you may as well not be level synced at all.

Edited by Khevar

Planet Level sync also leaves your accuracy, critical, alacrity and defense alone. It only shifts your level, your endurance, power, and mastery, (not sure about shield/absorb, it probably leaves those alone too) reason why mastery stims don't even work if you're over level on a synced planet.

Edit: crit might be affected? I get 4% more when I drop down to a planet. But that's more not less. Multiplier stayed the same.

I feel the main purpose of the sync was for alliance heroics, make us spend a little more time per zone than just laughing at mobs and watching them fall over. Still easy, just more time sink, like skytroopers.

Edited by Krazhez

The annoyance is because this question is asked weekly (forum search time possibly for people wanting to post, yet again).

The reason for the shift is to stop people completing things they shouldn't be able to solo - so no, you can no longer solo world bosses and you can no longer solo the flashpoints in any mode except the "solo mode".

Those are the only things you do not totally and utterly dominate in the game. So this constant "but I want it switched off" I cannot understand, unless it is just the sheer demand to be able to solo WB's which does nothing but piss people off who wanted to do said boss in a group etc.

People should be able to do anything they want. The purpose of a video game is FUN and entertainment. If someone wants to solo something, they should be able to. What someone else does for fun in this game is of no concern to you.

I am sick and tired of cheating bosses with cheating stats and cheating immunities to CCs and some debuffs. Mob stats and abilities should be forced to conform to the game's narrative, not live separate from it. If the game says you are some super ****** and has you single handedly mowing down an entire army and actually references that fact, then the rest of the game needs to be informed of your character's strength. So no boss should have 10-100 times your stat points, no boss should be out damaging you and no boss should be immune to your ccs. Bosses should be more like player characters and a good boss fight should be the equivalent of a good pvp fight againt two EQUAL opponents.

This is the kind of crap that makes me only occasionally play MMOs now because I am sick to death of bosses with unrealistic cheating stats and abilities. I'm only playing SWTOR right now because of the story element. I find the cheating bosses to be insulting.

Now its just a pain to do 5 year old stuff, at lvl and with pugs who cant even play their class with these idiot proof nerfs!!

I blame this one on the solo modes with the droid. You can literally do them with your comp set to dps and that droid and stand in all the stupid. It doesn't teach a thing, sadly Tacticals are even worse due to how they've been tuned poorly for 4 dps players (on some notably harder than running a HM flashpoint with trinity).

I was quite happy running lvl 50 HM flashpoints solo at lvl 55, I was quite happy running lvl 55 NiM Ops at lvl 60. It was fun actually, going into fights with tight mechanics you couldn't brute force due to level or gear, that you wouldn't have survived for whatever reasoning of not being able to get a decent group (or able to dedicate time to a raid group) at level. Sadly, with level sync and bolster, it isn't fun now.

Raiding is less relevant now to me, due to level sync. Not more relevant. Shame, I did enjoy that part of the game when I had time, pre-4.0.

Complaints about level sync still get ignored (such as story bosses, loot drops for planets etc). I guess it isn't so brilliant as it could be. Certainly needs refinement, certainly not one of the better uses of development resources used on an expansion.

People should be able to do anything they want. The purpose of a video game is FUN and entertainment. If someone wants to solo something, they should be able to. What someone else does for fun in this game is of no concern to you.

People *can* do anything they want. It seems like what you want is just a button that says "YOU WIN" and be done with everything.

The purpose of a video game is FUN and entertainment.

If it's not FUN for you then I suggest you move on to something that is instead of trying to force the game to change to fit your specific wants. Or else where does it end? Do you really think it's viable or even *possible* to make one game that suits every singe person's individual wants? I don't play ranked PvP but I should be able to get all of the rewards, right? Ridiculous, right? So where do you draw the line?

If someone wants to solo something, they should be able to.

No, they should NOT be able to. Not everything is available to every person and that's ok. Not everything is achievable to every person and that's ok.

What someone else does for fun in this game is of no concern to you.

Fair enough, but these same people shouldn't be trying to selfishly change the game just to suit their own specific wants.

Edited by PetFish

I blame this one on the solo modes with the droid. You can literally do them with your comp set to dps and that droid and stand in all the stupid. It doesn't teach a thing, sadly Tacticals are even worse due to how they've been tuned poorly for 4 dps players (on some notably harder than running a HM flashpoint with trinity).

I was quite happy running lvl 50 HM flashpoints solo at lvl 55, I was quite happy running lvl 55 NiM Ops at lvl 60. It was fun actually, going into fights with tight mechanics you couldn't brute force due to level or gear, that you wouldn't have survived for whatever reasoning of not being able to get a decent group (or able to dedicate time to a raid group) at level. Sadly, with level sync and bolster, it isn't fun now.

Raiding is less relevant now to me, due to level sync. Not more relevant. Shame, I did enjoy that part of the game when I had time, pre-4.0.

Complaints about level sync still get ignored (such as story bosses, loot drops for planets etc). I guess it isn't so brilliant as it could be. Certainly needs refinement, certainly not one of the better uses of development resources used on an expansion.

Yup exactly!!

• 1 year later...
What if pvp players want to play with people around their own level on a fair playing field? If someone is a low level PVPer and wants to do that with other low levels they should be able to enjoy the experience without some level 65 dude coming and killing them.

The game should be fun and fair for people of all levels. Ruining someone else's enjoyment isn't okay, it's mean. If you want to do pvp you should be doing it with players of your own level not by bullying others.

I'm just curious now, where exactly on any planet other than the high level ones is pvp not an optional thing? So, the argument of pvp hurts my feelings and game is rather irrelevant unless you actually accept pvping. I've been challenege on multiple occasions and you know what, I just refuse the bs. Pvp doesn't ruin your game play on any planet which is required for storyline game play.

And if you're dumb enough to accept a challenge from a lvl 65 at level 7, you deserve to get your face smashed into the ground.

Now, if you're one of those people that keep your pvp on constantly, guess what, that's your own fault for inviting misery.

On a side note, not one person deserves to have their character nerfed to starter level, no matter where they go. If I make my way to dark council there is no reason in the 9 hells that I shouldn't be able to go to the sith academy or any number of low level planets and be able to wipe the floor with things. Same goes for low level flash points.

Especially since I am paying to play the damn game every month.

If nothing else, a toggle to turn off this stupid level nerfing needs to be added for people who sub. And the whole pvp issue is very invalid so far as game play goes.

Pre-4.0, many FPs had unique gear drops, and some people liked to use them, so it was easy to run the FP solo and get it (for the looks, not the stats). The new solo modes don't drop this loot. .

And this is where the "Want gear? Work for it." philosophy comes in. The bottom line is none of that content was ever meant to be soloed or farmed by yourself, level sync fixed this and now group finder for flashpoints is a lot healthier than it was before 4.0.

And this is where the "Want gear? Work for it." philosophy comes in. The bottom line is none of that content was ever meant to be soloed or farmed by yourself, level sync fixed this and now group finder for flashpoints is a lot healthier than it was before 4.0.

Removal of the gear is an issue and the main reason I stopped running the flashpoints. There is no reason to run them now except farming CXP. It would be even better for group finder if they could set up two different group finder queues. One for the farmers and one for the people who want to actually play them. There is nothing more frustrating than watching two people spend 10 minutes trying to jump on top of scenery to get around a fight that would take 30 seconds if everyone worked together.

I agree that lvl synch is good for flashpoints and PVP, I also agree that it should not be in effect on planets. I miss getting to max level and then going to a lower planet to help a friend or finish a companion mission and be able to use the huge power I gained while leveling, to destroy the opposition. Plus i'd love to be able to solo my way to "big game hunter" oh well, i should have hustled when I heard lvl synch was coming.

• 4 years later...
I'm just curious now, where exactly on any planet other than the high level ones is pvp not an optional thing? So, the argument of pvp hurts my feelings and game is rather irrelevant unless you actually accept pvping. I've been challenege on multiple occasions and you know what, I just refuse the bs. Pvp doesn't ruin your game play on any planet which is required for storyline game play.

And if you're dumb enough to accept a challenge from a lvl 65 at level 7, you deserve to get your face smashed into the ground.

Now, if you're one of those people that keep your pvp on constantly, guess what, that's your own fault for inviting misery.

On a side note, not one person deserves to have their character nerfed to starter level, no matter where they go. If I make my way to dark council there is no reason in the 9 hells that I shouldn't be able to go to the sith academy or any number of low level planets and be able to wipe the floor with things. Same goes for low level flash points.

Especially since I am paying to play the damn game every month.

If nothing else, a toggle to turn off this stupid level nerfing needs to be added for people who sub. And the whole pvp issue is very invalid so far as game play goes.

I am returning, and this and the items capped are killing it for me.

Sadly, because when i left there was no endgame content (now its not like there are tons, but better than when i left).

Now there is the content but there is this stupid level sync and stupid item level capped to do basically everything.

Opposite question, Can I turn UP level shift?

The only change is a stat squish to power, mastery, and endurance. So if you squish it far enough you can have a challenge while doing the solo content, but not feel like garbage when it comes to crit chance/alacrity procs.

Does that condescending tone you constantly hum ever start to make your throat soar? Like ever? I can understand being snarky some of the time and sometimes playful, but every single one of your posts is phrased to be antagonistic as possible, not to mention your logic and reasoning for backing your beliefs makes me believe your some kind of troll as one of them was solely to see others in a misfortunate position. Some trolls are funny, I mean heck, Crazy CT and even Bruticis has me cracking up most of the time, and every now and then they do have a good post, or, if there's a blue moon, a few good posts every now and then. With you its always insults, antagonism, and bashing. Please, try to rephrase your posts in a more constructive manner..

As for the OP... I think you put a T in there by accident, but, unfortunately for you, there is no way to turn this off.

Toxic people are incapable of compassion, Peter. Take a look around these forums, and you'll see a lot of the same. Which is why more than 3/4 of the player base avoids these forums like the plague, and yes, I refer to Subscribers.

no one forces you to read or reply to these posts. You do it because you want to. Some people understand that level shift was just a way for bw to avoid making new content.

People will always find a reason to complain, Ivan. Even if the thread was praising Bioware for some reason, Pro-Bioware cronies will still find a reason to bash it.

Toxic people are incapable of compassion, Peter. Take a look around these forums, and you'll see a lot of the same. Which is why more than 3/4 of the player base avoids these forums like the plague, and yes, I refer to Subscribers.

I find it incredibly ironic that you chose you to quote and reply to a comment from 5 years ago that seems to be describing your presence here on these forums down to a T.