PSA. Don't que Ranked if...

• You don't have 306ilvl.
  • You don't have a tactical.
  • You don't have a set bonus.
  • You can't guard swap as a tank.
  • You are new to pvp.
  • You do under 2k dps.
  • You do under 5k hps.
  • You aren't at the top of the boards on a regular basis in regs.
  • You get pummeled in regs on a regular basis.
  • You haven't mastered your class.
  • You haven't mastered basic skills in pvp (awareness, APM, defensives...etc)
  • You haven't mastered your basic healing/damage rotation/priority system.
  • You don't have a basic understanding how the other classes in the game work.
  • You break the first hard hardstun/root/slow.

Ranked is not a starting place.

Edited by septru

Agree and also think it's worth adding: If you find that you're better than most other players, and having to tell others how to play or that they suck, consider:

#1 Playing arranged matches where you can choose your quality teammates and challenge other similar-quality teams (Group PvP Challenge).

#2 Playing Starcraft 2 and winning ladder/tournaments non-stop and even real $$. No-one's stopping you or standing in your way except an opponent who you're definitely better than. I love watching good players play tournament matches. Also, I guarantee you a teammate will not hold you back. Go get'em, you know you're the best =]

• You are new to pvp.
  • You do under 2k dps.
  • You do under 5k hps.

I fit all those requirements, yet still suck in ranked tbh. lol

I fit all those requirements, yet still suck in ranked tbh. lol

I fit all of them except...defensives. Still, after all the practice, I still manage to panic and use two at once more frequently than I like. Even if I didn't, I have no doubt I would suck at ranked. Of course I have one excuse. The meta does not favor my favorite class: Sentinel. That's my excuse and I am sticking with it! :p

Biggest issue I've noticed this season, apart from the handful of bots and trolls, is the massive match-making imbalance between camo and non-camo classes. Beyond infuriating

It's not uncommon to see a 4 dps match nearly go to acid because everyone can camo and regen 50 billion times in a round and no one knows how to chase.

So if you're against any combo of mara/sin/oper and you got a jugg/pt/mando (non-pw classes), you're scr3wed

Biggest issue I've noticed this season, apart from the handful of bots and trolls, is the massive match-making imbalance between camo and non-camo classes. Beyond infuriating

It's not uncommon to see a 4 dps match nearly go to acid because everyone can camo and regen 50 billion times in a round and no one knows how to chase.

So if you're against any combo of mara/sin/oper and you got a jugg/pt/mando (non-pw classes), you're scr3wed

It was worse at the beginning of last season when everyone was on sins and ops. With both nerfed, the all stealth matches are less common. I agree though, they can be quite annoying. Bioware should definitely add an anti-class stacking factor to matchmaking.

• You are new to pvp.
  • You do under 2k dps.
  • You do under 5k hps.

Based on your posts....I'd rather BW just ban you for constantly abusing the vote kick feature.

If you are at the top, you are not playing objectives and are not welcome to regs. The only way you can keep up with number farmers / death matchers if you take part in it instead of countering them for side turret capture, ball carrying, bomb planting, defending, AH tactical thinking or odessen objectives.

Also, most damage done does not make you a good player if you have a pocket healer that ignores everyone else to keep you and themselves alive (which is always the case with pug farmer guilds).

The behaviour behind this requirement why casual players and objective-focused players find less and less fun factor in regs.

Edited by varietasplus

If you are at the top, you are not playing objectives and are not welcome to regs. The only way you can keep up with number farmers / death matchers if you take part in it instead of countering them for side turret capture, ball carrying, bomb planting, defending, AH tactical thinking or odessen objectives.

The problem is that objective skills does not translate to ranked skills. Certain tactics like sap-capping the node, guarding, passing the ball, will never get you prepared for ranked.

If you want to prepare yourself for ranked you need to focus on practicing your damage in regs. That doesn't entirely mean you aren't doing objs though. In almost every single map, with the exception of OPG, you can help your team win the match by focusing on dps. I'm not talking damage farm, but you don't have to be the complete opposite of damage farming either.

One of my longtime friends who used to be on a pretty successful 8v8 ranked team, only plays objectives in regs. He, however, always tops the charts damage wise.

Edited by septru

The problem is that objective skills does not translate to ranked skills. Certain tactics like sap-capping the node, guarding, passing the ball, will never get you prepared for ranked.

If you want to prepare yourself for ranked you need to focus on practicing your damage in regs. That doesn't entirely mean you aren't doing objs though. In almost every single map, with the exception of OPG, you can help your team win the match by focusing on dps. I'm not talking damage farm, but you don't have to be the complete opposite of damage farming either.

So you are saying you are entitled to ignore objectives so that you can prepare for SR at the expense of everyone else trying to win the warzone to which you are not (or only indirectly) contributing.

Guess your teaching is the reason why everyone is playing deathmatch in regs, seems like everyone has been preparing for Season 13.

Edited by varietasplus

So you are saying you are entitled to ignore objectives so that you can prepare for SR at the expense of everyone else trying to win the warzone to which you are not (or only indirectly) contributing.

Guess your teaching is the reason why everyone is playing deathmatch in regs, seems like everyone has been preparing for Season 13.

That is not at all what I said. But thank you for misinterpreting my post because it gives me a opportunity to give examples of how damage is used to win you the match.

Clearing out mid in huttball so that you are always prepared to get the ball after a score.

Clearing out the enemy team in voidstar so that you can plant the bomb.

Clearing out the enemy team in Novare and Civil War so that you can cap the node.

Doing damage is fundamental in a player versus player environment. Get good enough at it and you will be ready for ranked.

Thats exactly how i read his post.

Honestly though, this isn't an issue the devs are going to address anytime soon, you'll either have to stop participating in ranked for the time being or accept the fact that Queing up for ranked is going to subject you to this sort of abuse and deal with it. It's the Crappy reality the game currently sits in.

Thats exactly how i read his post.

Honestly though, this isn't an issue the devs are going to address anytime soon, you'll either have to stop participating in ranked for the time being or accept the fact that Queing up for ranked is going to subject you to this sort of abuse and deal with it. It's the Crappy reality the game currently sits in.

Bob is right 100%. I stopped playing last year because solo ranked was a toxic cesspool then, too. I am sitting out now, and will not play it until they make some significant changes to it.

I mean arrogant as his post seems there is a point: you should have some modicum of skill, and be in BiS gear to queue for ranked of any kind. Surely we can all agree on that much?

That said, on regs, yes you can contribute to a team without node guarding. But as someone who likes winning, I frequently wind up guarding the node. If more people were willing to take a turn every once in a while, I wouldn't get stuck doing it so much, thus I might queue more, which gives more good matches to everyone.

As it is, I get stuck node guarding in half or more of the matches I play. And then have continuous 1 or 2 on ones im expected to finish by myself because the "good" players are busy "actual PvPing". I even had someone tell me they wanted to vote kick me for not participating in the match. We won because the other team was death matching 8v7 at mid and the only node that ever capped was mine. Literally no one else left mid.

So yes, you can be productive in a regs match w/out node guarding. But I, and perhaps others, would deeply appreciate more people choosing to assist every once in while. If we all guard 1 in every 8 matches, each person has to do it less often individually.

Teamwork, after all, makes the dream work.

306 gear with a tactical equipped should be a requirement to queue ranked, full stop. It doesn't matter how good a player you are, q'ing up in 280s means you will live for no more than 10 seconds under focus.

Coding a requirement for set bonus might be too difficult, but iRating 306 with a tactical equipped should be easy.

306 gear with a tactical equipped should be a requirement to queue ranked, full stop. It doesn't matter how good a player you are, q'ing up in 280s means you will live for no more than 10 seconds under focus.

Coding a requirement for set bonus might be too difficult, but iRating 306 with a tactical equipped should be easy.

Yep. People have discussed variations of increased valor requirements and stuff, but a 306 and tactical requirement is the least they can do. I think they should also consider preventing people from equipping tacticals that their class/spec literally can't use to avoid confusion for some newer players (just in general, not to benefit ranked specifically).

We won because the other team was death matching 8v7 at mid and the only node that ever capped was mine. Literally no one else left mid.

I wonder what would have happened, had you not capped that node. Perhaps they would still be fighting :p

If you are upset people join ranked without being maxed out stop ************ at them and start ************ at BW/EA to make it so you CANT queue for ranked at all without your arbitrary requirements.

If the game lets them join, you have no right to ***** at them for not being maxed out, only if they refuse to try and listen to work as a team.

Prum and I are rarely on the same side of an argument, but in this case I 100% agree with what he said and I think you completely misinterpreted what he was saying and then spun what he said to suit your argument.

And to be fair, I don’t fully agree with everything in his OP. I’m just commenting on the post you replied to.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

We’ve had gear gates in the past and I think that was a good thing. I don’t see why they couldn’t setup one based on this.

I mean arrogant as his post seems there is a point: you should have some modicum of skill, and be in BiS gear to queue for ranked of any kind. Surely we can all agree on that much?

That said, on regs, yes you can contribute to a team without node guarding. But as someone who likes winning, I frequently wind up guarding the node. If more people were willing to take a turn every once in a while, I wouldn't get stuck doing it so much, thus I might queue more, which gives more good matches to everyone.

As it is, I get stuck node guarding in half or more of the matches I play. And then have continuous 1 or 2 on ones im expected to finish by myself because the "good" players are busy "actual PvPing". I even had someone tell me they wanted to vote kick me for not participating in the match. We won because the other team was death matching 8v7 at mid and the only node that ever capped was mine. Literally no one else left mid.

So yes, you can be productive in a regs match w/out node guarding. But I, and perhaps others, would deeply appreciate more people choosing to assist every once in while. If we all guard 1 in every 8 matches, each person has to do it less often individually.

Teamwork, after all, makes the dream work.

These are all good points as well.

• You are new to pvp.
  • You do under 2k dps.
  • You do under 5k hps.

Dear Prum,

You need to realize the fundamentals of a game like swtor. All the subscribers are paying customers and you cannot tell them what to do or not. They can do what ever they want unless its against what the Devs say. The Decs have their rules in order to keep balance for the other paying customers, but that doesnt include hindering u to try ranked with any skill or gear.

So deal with it. Its just a game.