WTH? 15 min ban from PVP when YOUR server disconnects me during a match?

Jarbarian

Do the developers not care that their own servers are unstable that causes player disconnects (not my network, I know when my network goes down, I get alerts. Plus I work from home, I'd lose my work connection too!).

So why am I getting a 15 min ban from PVP when YOUR server DC's me?

"Your connection to the server has been lost. If this problem persist, please visit http://www.swtor.com/support to contact our Customer Service Team".

IOW, "We'll not do anything about our servers disconnecting you during PVP matches".

PS: That's not even the right link to support anymore.

Edited by Jarbarian

Do the developers not care that their own servers are unstable that causes player disconnects (not my network, I know when my network goes down, I get alerts. Plus I work from home, I'd lose my work connection too!).

"Your connection to the server has been lost. If this problem persist, please visit http://www.swtor.com/support to contact our Customer Service Team".

IOW, "We'll not do anything about our servers disconnecting you during PVP matches".

It's not about your network or their servers but more about the path in between the 2, there are lots of fiber lines and switches and configurations and 1 little problem with any of those can cause a disconnect on your end. Do a pathping to the servers IP and it will show you the hops along the path and the packet loss. Significant packet loss is a problem. There are other threads in the forums that can go more in depth on troubleshooting issues like this.

I'm not saying there are not issues with their servers, they do have their issues but intermittent signal loss can usually be attributed to the path.

Edited by -Bob-

get a mate to queue you up and you will get a pvp invite and get around the 15min penality... they can't ban you for teaming up i guess

Hey folks,

What we were experiencing is a DDOS attack against our NA datacenter, which impacted the Satele Shan and Star Forge servers. The situation has mostly recovered and we are continuing to monitor. Thank you for your patience.

-eric

Musco reports they are under a DDoS attack. That is why some people are being DC’d.

But I agree with the OP, if you want to have a deserter timer, the system should be able to recognise the difference between DCing or leaving. It’s not the players fault.

World of Warcraft can tell if you DC or leave. That should be a requirement or remove the deserter timer.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Musco reports they are under a DDoS attack. That is why some people are being DC’d.

But I agree with the OP, if you want to have a deserter timer, the system should be able to recognise the difference between DCing or leaving. It’s not the players fault.

World of Warcraft can tell if you DC or leave. That should be a requirement or remove the deserter timer.

I'll go out on a limb and say it's China, they've been wanting lightsaber tech for years!

Truly a miserable piece of sith who does DDOS attacks. Period.

Go do a flashpoint while you are time out. Its not the end of the world

What for? Flashpoints are extremely uneventful, most PvPers I know never bother.

Once you've done any of them once its no longer worth doing

It's not about your network or their servers but more about the path in between the 2, there are lots of fiber lines and switches and configurations and 1 little problem with any of those can cause a disconnect on your end. Do a pathping to the servers IP and it will show you the hops along the path and the packet loss. Significant packet loss is a problem. There are other threads in the forums that can go more in depth on troubleshooting issues like this.

I'm not saying there are not issues with their servers, they do have their issues but intermittent signal loss can usually be attributed to the path.

I'm in IT, I thought that was well. However in several games yesterday we were getting major lag, like 20+ seconds of it. Any longer and we all would have been disconnected.

It's not the network in this case, their game is busted. Recall they just applied a patch.

End result though, players in BGs should not be punished for things 100% out of their control.

What for? Flashpoints are extremely uneventful, most PvPers I know never bother.

Once you've done any of them once its no longer worth doing

Especially for me, where I don't do any PVE at all unless it's "mandatory".

I spend 100% of my time in battlegrounds/starfighter games.

Apparently they have learned nothing from WOW.

I'm in IT, I thought that was well. However in several games yesterday we were getting major lag, like 20+ seconds of it. Any longer and we all would have been disconnected.

It's not the network in this case, their game is busted. Recall they just applied a patch.

End result though, players in BGs should not be punished for things 100% out of their control.

For that alone I think the deserter debuff should be rescinded. Fortunately, I don't usually have connection problems, but I would be incensed if I were punished for something out of my control.

For that alone I think the deserter debuff should be rescinded. Fortunately, I don't usually have connection problems, but I would be incensed if I were punished for something out of my control.

Yeah that was my issue yesterday. If it's true it was a DDOS attack, then maybe they do need to reconsider the deserter buff OR use WOW's system to tell if you quit or were DC'd.

Yeah happens to me to, I get dced from server, lose elo from ongoing ranked match and get 15 min penalty. Oh well, what can I do? :)

you shouldn't be punished for their garbage design decision

15min penalty is stupid as hell, i'll only accept it under one condition

• 1 year later...
We only ended up with degenerate moba leaver punishment because of the endless loudmouth solo regs playing knuckleheads whining endlessly over the past several years and what has that left us with? Unavoidable HB,VS and Quesh and these same loudmouths will STILL happily take the 15 minute lockout if the RNG god dares stuff them into an unranked arena and tries force them to actually PVP for a few minutes.

I expected as much.

Also PVP is unplayable right now.

Tanks/Healers (nothing else) is dominating PVP.

All other classes are trashed/trash.

By this statement alone you prove you sure don't know a single thing about what you are talking about. I remember seeing a post before....someone said most of you constant posters aren't playing with a full deck of Pazaak and he was right.

We only ended up with degenerate moba leaver punishment because of the endless loudmouth solo regs playing knuckleheads whining endlessly over the past several years and what has that left us with? Unavoidable HB,VS and Quesh and these same loudmouths will STILL happily take the 15 minute lockout if the RNG god dares stuff them into an unranked arena and tries force them to actually PVP for a few minutes.

That's not exactly how solo ranked, or ranked in general works but sure.

Leaving ANY PvP match should have a drawback for yourself, the reason why it was a problem in solo ranked is that you drag other people down too, which is obviously untrue for normals since you lost nothing if you lose because of a leaver, the one having the punishment is the guy that left, not the ones who got screwed because he left.