Why would a bounty hunter not join the Mandalorians?

CloudCastle

I recently created another bounty hunter. Previously, I've joined the Mandalorians, but this time I want to refuse. Problem is, I can't think of a good reason why my BH would do that. For those of you who chose this option, why did you choose it?

I'm still working on ideas for my BH's backstory. My first issue is how to explain the BH's lack of Imperial accent, which means she needs to have grown up somewhere outside Imperial space. She's a Sith Pureblood, so my idea was that her family was driven into exile for some reason, forcing her to grow up on some backwater planet. Later she arrived at Korriban Academy not as well prepared as she thought she was, and ended up failing the trials and leaving Korriban in disgrace. She's angry, she's bitter, and now she enjoys nothing more than to see authority figures and those with power and wealth brought low.

I can think of many reasons why she might want to join the Mandalorians - to restore her sense of honor, to belong to something, to have a family or allies to count on...but I can't think of many good reasons why she would reject them. Maybe she feels that joining them would be turning her back on her own language and culture? I'm struggling with ideas on this.

Perhaps your BH feels like she wouldn't fit in? I mean, Mando'ade are generally pretty accepting of aliens(yes I know about the thing with the Cathar, don't start a flame war), but she sounds kinda bitter about not making it on Korriban. She also would be heading into a very different culture, albeit one that supports the Empire. I assume she is Force sensitive, so you could say she might not fit in regarding that.

As for other BHs, I could see where a dark side BH might cringe at the thought of having to be honorable and stuff. I could also see a Cathar BH rejecting the offer because, well...you know.

I could also see where a BH who's more like Gault would want to stay independent(even though if you don't bring Gault with you to Mandalore's ship, he congratulates you and says that you made the crew some good friends in the Mando'ade).

Perhaps your BH feels like she wouldn't fit in? I mean, Mando'ade are generally pretty accepting of aliens(yes I know about the thing with the Cathar, don't start a flame war), but she sounds kinda bitter about not making it on Korriban. She also would be heading into a very different culture, albeit one that supports the Empire. I assume she is Force sensitive, so you could say she might not fit in regarding that.

Yeah, my only thought was that she already comes from a proud family tradition, and may feel like taking on the new language and culture of the Mandos is akin to giving up her own. It's also occurred to me that she sees their culture of warrior honor to be a bit hypocritical. After enduring the trials on Korriban, she saw nothing honorable about all the killing and backstabbing. She'd rather you call it like it is, survival of the fittest.

I was considering a Cathar BH, since she would already have a built in reason for disliking the Mandalorians, but I just couldn't seem to get a hold of any good background or personality for her.

My Rattataki BH didn't join because she came from a different tradition, one she saw no reason to abandon just because Mandalore suddenly asked her to. In fact, she was more than a little offended by his offer. She's just as proud of her culture as Mandos are of theirs; why the heck would they expect her to throw it away? Right after she'd used that training to beat them at their own game?? If anything, she expected them to be clamoring to learn from her.

Yeah, my gal walked away from Chapter 1 with a very low opinion of Mandalorians.

I recently created another bounty hunter. Previously, I've joined the Mandalorians, but this time I want to refuse. Problem is, I can't think of a good reason why my BH would do that. For those of you who chose this option, why did you choose it?

I'm still working on ideas for my BH's backstory. My first issue is how to explain the BH's lack of Imperial accent, which means she needs to have grown up somewhere outside Imperial space. She's a Sith Pureblood, so my idea was that her family was driven into exile for some reason, forcing her to grow up on some backwater planet. Later she arrived at Korriban Academy not as well prepared as she thought she was, and ended up failing the trials and leaving Korriban in disgrace. She's angry, she's bitter, and now she enjoys nothing more than to see authority figures and those with power and wealth brought low.

I can think of many reasons why she might want to join the Mandalorians - to restore her sense of honor, to belong to something, to have a family or allies to count on...but I can't think of many good reasons why she would reject them. Maybe she feels that joining them would be turning her back on her own language and culture? I'm struggling with ideas on this.

On some bounty hunts you cannot refuse to do them, sadly they go on and on and on with some Streethood Thug wanting to make themselves grand or some Imperial Officer I would normally shoot on sight wanting to make himself up to be a Major from a Lieutenant or private even Captain. My Bounty Hunter Character right now is locked in 2 bounty hunts he does not want to do for it means killing the Colliods Nests while the second hunt is killing thousands of street thugs of several gangs so a Laughing boy Twi'lik can become Nar Shadda's newest Cartel Crime Lord whom is NON HUTTA.

As for other BHs, I could see where a dark side BH might cringe at the thought of having to be honorable and stuff. I could also see a Cathar BH rejecting the offer because, well...you know.

I could also see where a BH who's more like Gault would want to stay independent(even though if you don't bring Gault with you to Mandalore's ship, he congratulates you and says that you made the crew some good friends in the Mando'ade).

Josephinec, you'd be surprised just how Shadow Force a Dark Sith Lord Could be at accepting Bounty Hunting Contracts and how not wanting to lifetake they are if half given a chance. We hate to kill sometimes and we dislike killing wantonly so we have mercy and honor all at the same time.

one thing worth noting is, by time the offer has been made you've had a chance to see just how DEEP the rot within Mandalorian society goes. and then, you're offered the position, not nesscarily just because of your merits, but simply to preserve the Mandalorians place at the table (which honestly came off to me as a not very subtle hint Mnadalore expected Tarro Blood to win) I think by time the offers made the BH is in a pretty good position to see just how deep the ROT in the Mandalorians is.

My first Bounty Hunter was a Cathar. I thought it would be cool and fun, and we have other examples (including a certain rival). And when I got to that part of the story, I fully intended to tell the whole bunch of them to **** off, having proven myself their better.

Then I found out that when Bioware added the race, they didn't really do anything to support it in terms of new dialogue options or recording new lines - people notice you're a non-human, but there's nothing about the *ahem* history they have with the Mandos. So, after a few days of grumbling about the prospect of having to play out the class story with one eye closed, and ignoring or flat out making up my own dialogue, I threw up my hands and just rerolled Human.

Edited by cmdrzoom

• 6 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...