Should I Just Give Up on (Bug Free) Story Content in this game?

Kass

So the TL;DR for this post is:

With serious bugs constantly being allowed through into live release of story content, even before LotS, should I just give up holding out hope to play bug free story content in SWTOR?

I'll keep this brief, but would very much like feedback on playing any LotS content (I haven't played any of it).

Back when the 7.0 combat and class changes were announced I walked away from SWTOR - having ptsd from Star Wars Galaxies I had zero confidence of a positive outcome. However at the end of May this year a family member pleaded and coaxed to get me back into playing, but this time with a focus on PVP...

At first I protested that I wasn't going to pay for a game with broken story content - that every time before I un-subbed and left late 2021, the content had major immersion breaking bugs - and you can't replay the story content on the same character... no redo's.

Well I relented and re-sub'd.

I've been having fun in PVP, the class I like to main improved tremendously and PVP has been engaging and fun, to the complete exclusion of any story based content (which is what I have always played SWTOR for)

I honestly thought that by forgoing any story content and giving Bioware EA a chance to clean up the bugs, that it would be worth waiting... but the bugs keep coming... and they consistently ruin my fan experience!

So my question to those that are story buffs as well, and probably even more so than myself, is it worth clicking on that "Launch" button for 'Retaliation' to start Legacy of the Sith, when the Dev thread "Game Update 7.1 - Known Issues" shows that story content is still being released with serious bugs?!

Mini Rant: Dev's should be embarrassed that they can't release bug free fully voiced story content; which is the main service of SWTOR.

Thanks in advance for any serious/thoughtful replies - cheers.

:d_wink:

Edited by Kass

I'm not sure why your stating the obvious regarding coding in general...

What I'm refering to is trash Quality Control that allows massive game breaking bugs like "Players can't defeat Darth Malgus in Ruins of Nul Flashpoint - Story Mode." as posted about for known issues - this became a known issue right after release of 7.0... it's still listed as a known issue with 7.1 'with a player work around' suggested by the Devs. 5 months later! *(Like they don't plan on or don't know how to fix it?)

And now story breaking bugs like:

• Players are stuck on the ground after interacting with the artifacts in Digging Deeper.

• Explorer of Manaan Achievement cannot be completed.

• The conversation with Commander Qrukk in the Daily Manaan Mission "Veiled Threats" is not starting for SOME Inquisitors, preventing them from completing this mission.

• Theron Shan appears in Digging Deeper regardless of being dead.

----

So your post wasn't helpful or insightful in the least - because I'm pretty confident that Theron Shan showing up (as has happened in the past after the Nathema Conspiracy, despite being dead or exiled) is a pretty inexcusable example of trash QC that should not be tacked up to 'human error'.

I don't consider someone spitting in my food order to be 'human error', and when I'm paying a subscription to fund story content, massive epic game breaking experience ruining story bugs are almost to the same level... when they happen patch after patch after patch.

Edited by Kass

(Like they don't plan on or don't know how to fix it?)

Incorrect. (non-BioWare developer here)

Like they can't reproduce the problem even vaguely often on their pre-PTS internal test systems, and they can't afford the performance hit of activating all the detailed debug logging and stuff on the Live servers. Once they find a way to reproduce the problem on their internal systems, where all that debug logging is activated, they will know where to look in the code to fix the problem.

That is, they don't yet know *what* (from an internal point of view) the problem is, so of course they can't fix it.

Incorrect. (non-BioWare developer here)

Like they can't reproduce the problem even vaguely often on their pre-PTS internal test systems, and they can't afford the performance hit of activating all the detailed debug logging and stuff on the Live servers. Once they find a way to reproduce the problem on their internal systems, where all that debug logging is activated, they will know where to look in the code to fix the problem.

That is, they don't yet know *what* (from an internal point of view) the problem is, so of course they can't fix it.

Okay that's fair.. and I did put that in parenthesis, as I'm frustrated, so sarcasm laced with bitterness. But that doesn't excuse the Dead/Exiled Theron repeatedly showing up in story expansions.

It's your own fault for playing the game wrong not bringing Theron home for the hero is.

Grammar is hard... :d_tongue:

Edited by Kass

Okay that's fair.. and I did put that in parenthesis, as I'm frustrated, so sarcasm laced with bitterness. But that doesn't excuse the Dead/Exiled Theron repeatedly showing up in story expansions.

Indeed, it doesn't. Well, that particular aspect doesn't, but any bug where there isn't a clear thing that causes it, or there is but it doesn't do so *consistently* (walk down the left side of this corridor == the server crashes, for example, is consistent, but "sometimes it crashes" is not), well, that's the worst possible kind of bug.

Or the ones where you go looking for them and they stop happening. Ugh.