Weekly rep caps are ridiculous and need to go

Rolodome

How is this considered reasonable game design? I will explain to you how unreasonable this system is: I currently have a number of characters who have rep tokens I can't use because of a weekly cap and I have had to make a list just to keep track of who they are, so that I know who to log into one by one the next time a week rolls over, so I can finally use their tokens (and I may not be able to clean out all of them because of the cap, who knows how many weeks it will take). What in the sam heck does that have to do with playing a game? These are like grocery list habits.

It's bad enough cycling out events constantly, so that you have to show up at just the right time to ever participate in them. I mean, this is a 10 year old game starved for fresh content and you literally hide portions of it so you can adhere to some illusion of having "events" that happen. Then you make it even more ridiculous with rep caps.

I know it's been this way for a long time, I'm not shocked or anything, it just didn't quite hit me until recently the visceral extent of its absurdity in practice. Prob something to do with finding myself with a list of characters to go through after a weekly change like I'm doing a shopping list. That kinda thing is unsurprisingly making me wonder whether this is a video game or a MS excel simulator. The best word I can think to describe it is pathetic. I can't imagine any professional video game designer actually thinks this is a fun system, I assume it's just because your upper management doesn't want to fund actual content on a regular basis.

Presumably the original intent was to reduce the rate at which the players reach reputation caps, although that was always a weak reason at best, especially for event reputations. (If I manage to earn enough tokens to go to max at this month's BBA event, I'll just spread my use over the next N weeks, and, these days, reach max BBA rep before the next one anyway...)

Presumably the original intent was to reduce the rate at which the players reach reputation caps, although that was always a weak reason at best, especially for event reputations. (If I manage to earn enough tokens to go to max at this month's BBA event, I'll just spread my use over the next N weeks, and, these days, reach max BBA rep before the next one anyway...)

Exactly, well said. With alts, there's no stopping us from accumulating more than the cap anyway and then it's just tedium to keep track and make sure they get used at some point.

They could double down on the presumed intention and block alts from doing dailies/weeklies if they're already done on one character, but that would just cause people to play the game even less, so they are between two systems in a way that is just annoying for us.

Not sure about event tokens, but aren't every-day reputation drops auto-consumed now?

You can't warehouse them now to spread out their use over time or accumulate them across alts.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Not sure about event tokens, but aren't every-day reputation drops auto-consumed now?

You can't warehouse them now to spread out their use over time or accumulate them across alts.

They are auto-consumed until you reach the weekly cap, and then they get placed in your inventory.

Yea its bloody stupid, take that swoop track event for example, it was on for what, a week? All the stuff locked behind rep levels kinda kneecaped anyone who did not do it before.

It's a recurring event, not a one-off, so you just:

* Save the unused "excess" rep tokens for the following week (after the event is over - you can still use the tokens).

* If you didn't have enough to hit max even then, play it some more the next time it's on.