A Speculation upon the Race of the Inquisitor (Vanilla Spoilers)

RowanThursday

Spoilers for Inquisitor Class Story.

So, a certain deal was made at launch of Inquisitor being the only Imperial race that came bundled with Twi'lek as a race option, on account of the whole slave thing, and Twi'leks being primarily a slave race in Imperial space. They even came with a (pre-legacy unlocks) exclusive red skin and tattoo options.

Notably for Inquisitors there are three racial variations that affect story: Sith (basically as Human except for a small piece of flavour text which notes that you wound up a slave because of political machinations, Human, who get mild contempt, and Aliens, who get treated with utter contempt.

Anyway, there's always been the odd ambiguity with Twi'lek though, in that lore wise and in terms of the race's general position in the Empire, they fit extremely well...but you're

related to a former Sith Lord, Kallig, whose Force Ghost you meet and who doesn't have Lekku, and, indeed, whose mask you can wear which, as a helm, will magically vanish a Twi'Lek's Lekku.

My speculation is... maybe that's the point?

If you point out to Kallig's ghost that you're not Sith, he notes that to be his shame, implying that either he bred with an alien, or was an alien himself.

He also later urges you to claim and wear his mask, claiming it will aid you. Notably, he keeps his own ghostly mask on at all times. So... maybe Kallig was a Twi'lek in some story paths, a force sensitive alien in the anti-Taliban Empire, and that mask is important precisely because it's imbued with a force trick to conceal this? The vanishing lekku could be not so much poor coding as infact, the point of the thing?

At first when SWTOR started it was a bit more easier to speculate the race of the Inquisitor with the race limits to the starting class story, but as the story progresses ( and you unlock more of the game) and continues specially after the during the events of the Nathema arc... its basically (to my understanding) anyone guess what race the Inquisitor could be. Its up to the players own understanding.

Example: I made my Inquisitor a Chiss as so I got the dialog of being an alien... but also a bit of more for being race Chiss that Imperial Agent usually get with some NPC's that touch on that race.

I also got a good chunk of juicy lore in Nathema arc... about my "Impure" status among the Chiss Ascendancy for being a Force user...and how I was being closely monitor and help from the shadows by my fellow Chiss. Putting into question my Linage not only with Aloysius Kallig but with who on the Chiss Nobility Ascendancy my PC could be a descendant/related to? Making my PC start as a Slave possibly something plan from the start?

Point is the game SWTOR purposely throws you down the RPG rabbit hole of possibilities with no definite conclusion or confirmation, for you as a player to interpreted. So in anyway case your speculation could be just as right as any other players who gone through the story.

The only thing I found out to be a real possibility is that the master of the dark side, they are called Darth Nox; the one with "inscrutable reputation" (neutral) Darth Occlus and the one with a reputation for serving the Empire (light side) Darth Imperius might be 3 different people in that time who where related to Aloysius Kallig and/or were at the same academy at the same period/timeline...maybe even knowing/helping or battle each other... I'm stretching my speculation with that last bit... but you get the idea.

With SWTOR the stories can be almost endless as this part of history is clouded in a lot of mystery and maybes, perfect for an MMO (IMO). So yeah I can totally see your suggestion being another interesting possibility. :D

Edited by Zehal

There are a couple of Twi'lek(1) specific dialogs in the SI story so it was definitely intended for them to be a "canon" SI species (unlike Chiss for example, which makes no sense at all).

I don't think we can read too much into Kallig not having lekku, as this is more of an engine limitation with the helm rather than any kind of lore reason. Human and Twi'lek can interbreed though (despite a few comments in the game saying otherwise, this has been established in both Legends and Canon) so it doesn't mean much regardless.

(1) Ex. On Hoth when you are tracking the ghost, Telos Drellik inspects some tracks and comments "I've been studying alien tracks since I was old enough to tell a Twi'lek from a Tukata" and if you are a Twi'lek he adds "err... no offense"

"I've been studying alien tracks since I was old enough to tell a Twi'lek from a Tukata" and if you are a Twi'lek he adds "err... no offense"

Ha! Oh, Talos... :o

This is why, even without a romance option, in amongst all the [shock Him] dialogue options when dealing with the general public, the Sith Inquisitor should also get quite a lot of [Hug Lt. Drellik] options available, just to randomly glomp our little archaeologist whenever he does something adorable.

Example: I made my Inquisitor a Chiss as so I got the dialog of being an alien... but also a bit of more for being race Chiss that Imperial Agent usually get with some NPC's that touch on that race.

Out of curiosity, is this inquisitor-specific? The only class with Chiss I'm planning to catch up in the story with, is a consular. I wonder if all classes of force-sensitive Chiss get some kind of remark.

Out of curiosity, is this inquisitor-specific? The only class with Chiss I'm planning to catch up in the story with, is a consular. I wonder if all classes of force-sensitive Chiss get some kind of remark.

Chiss get some dialogue in the Agent story, I believe, especially on Hoth. Twi'lek get special dialogue in the Inquisitor story, and not just the dialogue noted above(1). PBS on Impside (especially the Sith classes) will get some dialogue specific to them, but do not get generic "for aliens" lines.

Rattataki agents, rather disappointingly, don't get modified dialogue about (or from) Kaliyo. On several occasions, NPCs will refer to *her* as "the Rattataki", which can occasionally lead to bizarre requests:

Guard: "The Rattataki must wait outside."

But you, a Rattataki, can go in...

Chiss get *nothing* special on other classes, especially not on Pubside. (I've actually *played* through a Chiss Shadow. She got no special dialogue outside of the handful of "generic alien" lines that are available to generic aliens.

(1) When you go to Korriban to retrieve one of Kallig's gear pieces, the guy you're there to rob will say something different to a Twi'lek than he does to any other species.

I shall definitely have to set a Twi'lek Assassin in motion, then, and probably also a pure blood Sorcerer (the Sorceress needs a hood, and the whole "disgraced Sith reduced to slavery and fighting her way out of it through sheer darkside force-twisting malice" seems to suit Sorcerer, whilst "downtrodden overlooked alien, acting as a behind the scenes agent for her master with her true threat cloaked in shadow seems to fit assassin.

Chiss get some dialogue in the Agent story, I believe, especially on Hoth. Twi'lek get special dialogue in the Inquisitor story, and not just the dialogue noted above(1). PBS on Impside (especially the Sith classes) will get some dialogue specific to them, but do not get generic "for aliens" lines.

Rattataki agents, rather disappointingly, don't get modified dialogue about (or from) Kaliyo. On several occasions, NPCs will refer to *her* as "the Rattataki", which can occasionally lead to bizarre requests:

Guard: "The Rattataki must wait outside."

But you, a Rattataki, can go in...

Chiss get *nothing* special on other classes, especially not on Pubside. (I've actually *played* through a Chiss Shadow. She got no special dialogue outside of the handful of "generic alien" lines that are available to generic aliens.

(1) When you go to Korriban to retrieve one of Kallig's gear pieces, the guy you're there to rob will say something different to a Twi'lek than he does to any other species.

But I was talking about the traitor/nathema flashpoints, since that's when Zehal is talking about, I'm aware of the Chiss references in the original agent story, I know Chiss were originally restricted from most other classes. I remember force-users in Chiss society being mentioned on other characters, but Zehal made it seem as if they were specifically remarking upon their Inquisitor as a force-using Chiss, which is the first time I've heard of a class/race combination outside the original restrictions being mentioned.

But I was talking about the traitor/nathema flashpoints, since that's when Zehal is talking about, I'm aware of the Chiss references in the original agent story, I know Chiss were originally restricted from most other classes. I remember force-users in Chiss society being mentioned on other characters, but Zehal made it seem as if they were specifically remarking upon their Inquisitor as a force-using Chiss, which is the first time I've heard of a class/race combination outside the original restrictions being mentioned.

I try to look for the e-mail I got after the completing it, sadly it got erase... It s been a while.

Probably I got too exited and read to much to it, (probably because nothing was mention with this class/race combination beyond the alien dialog since its an unlock and not in the traditional story) maybe you are right and its the same e-mail all Chiss character would get as a "generic dialog" like Cynic Steve so eloquently point it out... ;)

Now I'm sad that Chiss Inquisitor is nowhere near canon not even in Legends SWTOR... Then again what I read about the Chiss and the cool stories about Thrawn and how they treat force user in their society...leave very little possibility for a Chiss Inquistor even in Legends... Aw...:confused:

Got to much into my head canon I guess...add a "dash" of wishful thinking with a bit of "sprinkles" of to much fandom with the Chiss and the final "cherry on top" with the possibilities in SWTOR led to a perfect "dish" of personal disappointment! lol :rolleyes:

Oh well, "c'est la vie" Haha :D ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Now I'm sad that Chiss Inquisitor is nowhere near canon not even in Legends SWTOR... Then again what I read about the Chiss and the cool stories about Thrawn and how they treat force user in their society...leave very little possibility for a Chiss Inquistor even in Legends... Aw...:confused:

I don't really see the conflict. The Inquisitor was a slave and any race could realistically fall into slavery.

For my own consular I just had a head canon that she was abandoned outside Chiss space when her force powers manifested and then got a lucky break, being discovered by a jedi that happened to encounter her.

I don't really see the conflict. The Inquisitor was a slave and any race could realistically fall into slavery.

For my own consular I just had a head canon that she was abandoned outside Chiss space when her force powers manifested and then got a lucky break, being discovered by a jedi that happened to encounter her.

Oh that's actually would make a great story! Awesome! :eek:

The fun part of this game is that you can make next to any race combination work with any character.

There are problems, of course.

You can certainly have a Sith Pureblood who's renounced the dark side and trained as a Jedi - just look at Lord Praven if you spare and recruit him on Tatooine. On the other hand, if you are playing a pureblood Sith Jedi, then unless you're masked, that scene makes Praven look spectacularly unobservant. Conversely, whilst you can certainly be an alien Sith Warrior, after all, back in better days, the Warrior Advance Class choice quest NPC

was just that, if you are alien, it makes Tremel's choice of you somewhat odd, to put it mildly. You can of course choose to read his line about "mixed blood" as merely referring to mixing of races, rather than prejudice against aliens themselves, but that seems not in keeping with the Sith traditionalism he espouses.

The fun part of this game is that you can make next to any race combination work with any character.

There are problems, of course.

You can certainly have a Sith Pureblood who's renounced the dark side and trained as a Jedi - just look at Lord Praven if you spare and recruit him on Tatooine. On the other hand, if you are playing a pureblood Sith Jedi, then unless you're masked, that scene makes Praven look spectacularly unobservant. Conversely, whilst you can certainly be an alien Sith Warrior, after all, back in better days, the Warrior Advance Class choice quest NPC

was just that, if you are alien, it makes Tremel's choice of you somewhat odd, to put it mildly. You can of course choose to read his line about "mixed blood" as merely referring to mixing of races, rather than prejudice against aliens themselves, but that seems not in keeping with the Sith traditionalism he espouses.

There's no doubt some classes have more obvious conflicts than others. I think the non-force classes can all make sense with any race for the most part. Although I'm still kinda curious about ranged weapon Miraluka, I still don't quite get how extensive their "force sight" is.

The Jedi can also be pretty much anyone, like you mentioned. It's only really the sith that are very restrictive and one of the classes makes up for that with the slave background.

I don't know how much the warrior meshes with aliens, but given the supposed ancient bloodline I just have difficulties imagining the class as anything other than pureblood or human myself.

Heh, yesterday I finally had the pleasure of having that idiot on Ord Mantell explain to my Cathar smuggler what Cathar are. Still, I suppose "Republic troops on Ord Mantell appear to be crass and stupid" isn't actually in any way inconsistent with the intended storyline on that planet.

Other than the aforementioned "humiliation of slavery" login text, I'm curious as to whether anyone else will treat my pureblood inquisitor as anything other than human, as the game progresses. I suspect not, as I seem to recall that one being a late decision that the devs were in the fence about allowing at all.

What about Sev'rance Tann?

• 2 weeks later...
I'm currently playing through the inquisitor storyline as a togruta, and I find it odd that, not only is Kallig obviously not a togruta, but the fact that we are apparently of different species is not addressed at all when we meet. Am I supposed to assume that Kallig had a child with a togruta? And that child and their descendants also bred only with togrutas, since my character doesn't look like she has mixed blood at all? I guess this could fit into the shame thing Kallig mentions (although he says that to humans too), but since twi'leks were one of the original species, and since there is alien-specific dialogue in other circumstances, it seems really bizarre to not provide any explanation here.

I'm currently playing through the inquisitor storyline as a togruta, and I find it odd that, not only is Kallig obviously not a togruta, but the fact that we are apparently of different species is not addressed at all when we meet. Am I supposed to assume that Kallig had a child with a togruta? .

As a matter of interest, does a Togruta Inquisitor get the various 'alien scum' reactions from other NPCs - such as the Assistant Overseer who directs you to the trainer on Korriban?

I'm not sure whether the game reliably recognises "new" alien species as non-human.

As a matter of interest, does a Togruta Inquisitor get the various 'alien scum' reactions from other NPCs - such as the Assistant Overseer who directs you to the trainer on Korriban?

I'm not sure whether the game reliably recognises "new" alien species as non-human.

I'm pretty sure it does. My first Inquisitor was a togruta, but I never finished the story with it, but I'm pretty sure his being an alien was commented on, on occasion.

Yes, mostly. There was one weird occasion where the first time I played through a cutscene the dialogue was just "slave" or something, but the second time (I usually esc out in order to see all the dialogue options) it was "alien scum." Realistically there is no way of knowing if one scene here or there might have glitched out and given me the wrong line, but I have definitely gotten a fair amount of alien-specific dialogue.

• 1 month later...

And what about Sev'rance Tann?