A Tale of Two Games: ToR and WoW - Review!

dvvx

You seem to have a high opinion of yourself, this actually makes your post less valid.

I skimmed over the rest, and I don't see the issues that you do. TOR has brought back some of the magic that other MMOs have lost. I won't go into too much detail but:

Combat is awesome, having no white damage is truly a step in the right direction. In EQ white damage was your damage, but in most MMOs since then white damage is only 10-30% of your actual damage output. When white damage is that insignificant, then it might as well not exist.

The story is awesome. Even the side quests feel a lot more significant than kill ten rats. Whether this is because they are more relevant, or simply because of the VO would be a subjective matter.

Companions are awesome. They have their own personalites and make solo play a joy.

I am just quoting this because I like what you said..

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear this thread:

I was a in a top 3 guild on Mannoroth pre-bc.

I won a Toronto tournament in Halo.

I can hardly find why people like eggs for breakfast so much.

I like SWTOR because it's insanely fun.

Does my opinion count for anything because of the **** I posted previously?

Ah...the WoW comparison rant.

Playing WoW = repeatedly hitting the lever of your complicatied skinner box

Playing TOR = being involved in "character" and "story." Yes, I acknowledge that at times that story seems a bit hollow and flat. Thing is....I care about my character. I've had an emotional response to making light/dark decisions.

TOR is certainly flawed, no disputing that, but its the game I was looking for before I even knew I was looking for it. A game that attempts to balance the story and character of a single player rpg with the social interaction of an mmo. It's not perfect, far from it, but its a step towards exactly what I want in an mmorpg.

And for now...thats good enough for me...and most others I talk to who escaped the skinner box trap.

I hope one day, you can get out of there too.

Can we please get some mods in here to get rid of the trolls. If i wanted to read this crap, I'd go read SOE's forums...

That's an unfortunate comparison. Do you think this game will go the way of SOE?

That's an unfortunate comparison. Do you think this game will go the way of SOE?

SoE had a game that was the competitor to WoW, but the scuttled that when they implemented the NGE patch which... well, made it a WoW clone in space.

SoE had a game that was the competitor to WoW, but the scuttled that when they implemented the NGE patch which... well, made it a WoW clone in space.

SW:TOR won't have that problem, it was WoW in space from the get go, lol.

But since miracles like that can happen they might happen backwards too, let's hope the first expansion will turn it into pre-NGE SWG then :D

Edited by yomanaaiton

Instead of comparing a 7+year MMO to a MMO released today, compare SWTOR to WoW in November of 2004.

There is no comparison that SWTOR is by FAR a better game. Just wait until they roll out the patches to fix/upgrade the game.

There is no comparison that SWTOR is by FAR a better game. Just wait until they roll out the patches to fix/upgrade the game.

Only leveling wise is it really better.. Everywhere else, WoW was better from the get go. You can try proving me wrong but you won't, because it's a fact.

And no, battlegrounds are not real PvP so WoW was way more fun PvP-wise before the BGs came out. It had real world PvP as the game's main PvP.

Edited by yomanaaiton

And no, battlegrounds are not real PvP so WoW was way more fun PvP-wise before the BGs came out. It had real world PvP as the game's main PvP.

I don't know if you remember this, but it was absolutely terrible before battlegrounds.

Tarren Mill and Southshore were notorious for large scale pvp warfare that would impede people from leveling and questing, and would often kill continent servers causing massive outages all over the place.

People not only hated not being able to do anything pve related because they were constantly dying from players of the opposing faction constantly. It was actually one of the biggest gripes in the early days, so don't say that everyone loved it.

Battlegrounds were implemented so that players would't be crowding areas, killing lowbies, etc.

Only leveling wise is it really better.. Everywhere else, WoW was better from the get go. You can try proving me wrong but you won't, because it's a fact.

You like to complain about ToR fanboys, but that's a huge fanboy statement if I ever heard one.

There are many areas that I (subjective) believe ToR excels at or has that WoW didn't at initial launch.

1. Implementing "battlegrounds" right off the bat.

2. Flashpoints are much more interesting than dungeons ever were.

3. Space combat (Again, my opinion)

4. Strong end-game content

5. High replayability (Different stories for different classes)

To each his own.

I believe that ToR is still going to be a strong game, if not stronger, one year down the line with a burgeoning fanbase, and I can't wait to see how this game progresses.

Edited by Jhonen

Who am I? I'm some dude that led a top-US CS:S team for many years, was a part of two top-10 WoW guilds, and played in several WoW Arena Tournies (including the CGS invitational) and many many CS tournaments, including the CPL. I also had a stint working for an indie game developer several years ago. I like to think that I know what I'm talking about, and usually, I do.

Who you are than? In wich clans and guild you played? What was youre CSS nick and youre WoW Char? you are sooo UBER PRO .....

Edited by oriwan

Go back to WoW already! This review contributed with nothing. Why are you complaining about the fundamental ideas of the game? You knew these feauters would ship with the game, so why even bother trying it?

That you're leading arena charts and whatnot is irrelevant. This game is supposed to cater to casuals as well! Perhaps it's good that Bioware should start there, and make it more complex after a time? It's not like Wow players enjoy their own PvP, even. Ever seen the WoW forum? This is as good as it'll get.

Who am I? I'm some dude that led a top-US CS:S team for many years, was a part of two top-10 WoW guilds, and played in several WoW Arena Tournies (including the CGS invitational) and many many CS tournaments, including the CPL. I also had a stint working for an indie game developer several years ago. I like to think that I know what I'm talking about, and usually, I do.?

Arrogant much?

You're a dying breed, hardcore 'pro raiders' are so last decade, enjoy your retirement.

Good review, a bit too abrasive on a few comments, I'd say give it a little time on somethings. Overall I'd say it was fair, besides the companions as pets, that's just not true. Companions feel like that sidekick, and you grow attached to them if you actually care about the story aspect of the game. It's very refreshing to have that added level of immersion.

In other words, this game isn't WoW, I don't like it as much. Which is fine. Choose your game, and go and play it. Your complaints are mostly subjective, others like the things you don't. If you prefer the way Blizzard do it, then you are free to go and play their game. You've been bashing this game and praising WoW on these boards for as long as I can remember, so am I surprised to see a post like this from you? Nope, not at all.

Yet Bioware chose to cater to them for endgame instead of trying something new :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Talk about hypocrisy.

It's a continuation of the story with more people and added difficulty.

I don't think that's "pro raiding" at all.

I stopped reading after you said "This leaves the player spaming 1-1-1-1"

Honestly? Did you play the game? Where is your experience? I use the auto attack once every about 3-4 abilities, and it doesn't leave you spamming anything. Playing a Sith Marauder is easily one of the hardest and most complex rotations I've had, and there really isn't a rotation. What I do know is that I use the auto attack less frequently than any the combination of other moves.

You do make some valid points, and to each his own. WoW was a great game until Cataclysm, and it's end game has not been matched by any MMO. WoW struck the MMO genre at a perfect time, and who knows what caused it to blow up so fast around the 2007 era. I personally love SWTOR, and will be playing it for quite some time. I stopped and realized how much right is in the game, and while there is plenty of things wrong (your character getting stuck doing an animation while it's not actually using the ability :mad: ) and the gameplay feeling a little bit familiar, but the story is all that I think really counts right now. We're not even in end game and you ARE making a review that shouldn't be made without having thoroughly played through PvP and Operations. Like I said, to each their own.

Edited by Shamiez

OP, your review was horrible and blatantly bias. You call insult to TOR "fanboys and fangirls" while coming off as a giant WoW fanboy yourself. And, your highly self regarded pre review credentials of playing CS and WoW is arrogant and amaturish, considering CS and WoW isn't a lot of gaming experience to give such a heavy handed review of TOR.

Your time wasted review can be summed up in one sentence; "SWTOR will fail because it's not like WoW".

Edited by Dropadeuce

@OP: Your credentials as a CS player have no relevance. Likewise, working for (not as?) an indie game developer makes it sound like you could've swept the floors for two weeks and still be accurate in leaving that on your resume. Also, over-use of similes or crude humour betray the point you're trying to make.

Instead of comparing a 7+year MMO to a MMO released today, compare SWTOR to WoW in November of 2004.

This never works for two reasons. One, you have the shoulder of giants effect. WoW was designed ten years ago, TOR wasn't. TOR has been able to learn from all the mistakes and additions to that game, and pick and choose what they want to put into their game. WoW had to copy off of Everquest. It gets progressively harder to design an MMO as the rival MMO's get better and better. The list of "what your game needs out of the box" is MUCH longer for TOR than it was for WoW back in 2004, which launched without raids or battlegrounds e.g.

Yes, it's unfair, but it's true. If you release an MMO today it will be compared to MMO's with several years of content development. Why? Because if you go out and buy WoW today, you get the 2011 version, not the 2004 version. The excuse "well our game didn't have as much time to become good" won't matter one bit to the customer who just wants to have a good time.

Also, your statement seems to rely on the assumption that TOR will improve, over time, to equal or rival WoW. This may be true, but when? You can't ask a customer to pay for something that, in three years time, will become better than the competitor today. He'll wait three years and (maybe) buy it then, instead.

Edited by Livianicen

"Blah blah blah Swtor

Who am I? I am have been the worlds first both therapist and analyst ________.

I was also cast as frightened inmate number 2 and played G. Bluth senior in scandal makers.

Because of this I know more than the average sheep, I mean reader.

Insert review here

Insert magic eight ball predictions and terminal lifespan claims"

Seriously, I am satirizing your post because despite your good points stated, you come across as a pretentious snob.

:cool:Pro Tip: If you are going to list a resume to impress us with your qualifications, find away to convey your message in a less vinegar solution bag arrangement.

:DBonus Pro Tip: Claiming this, that or the other is dead, will be dead or has terminal case of womp rat fever is not a great exercise in credibility. If you could predict things so accurately, you should stop wasting time and contact a Wall Street firm for a job.

Edited by Beccaali

Zomg another WOW comparison as with earlier posts instant ban for mentioning WOW on forums should be implemented : )

But....

As a real old schooler of MMO, Ultima Online, still have my account is it what 15 years : )

Anyways I was playing on tatooine yesterday and out of nowhere I was ganked by a few rebels, thats what im talking about.

Non Consensual PVP !!! about time. EvE had it, but UO was the first there you are taming a dragon and boom 5 pk's (player killers) jump out and kill you.

That thrill of doing stuff while looking over your shoulder is why I play online.

In my opinion, as many agree UO was awesome until noobs came along crying that they got killed, so a PVE section was created.

What would have made TOR better was all servers PVP, the world of star wars isnt safe so why should your server be, you want to experience star warsy feel then take away the safety net or go back to WoW

I tried WoW, A little part of me died inside. nough said.

This game has just been released so give it a break, as a former SWG player im loving it, I miss the advanced crafting system of SWG but this is better than some others, I miss housing and showing off my fancy stuff.

Even Skyrim has houses to show off your pimped ar on mannequins

Give me a house and all more PVP and ill terrorise the community.

If any old school UO are reminiscing remember factions before it got crap and brit x roads pk central.

Rant over

Go back to WoW cry babies

Xawe