When to start Tanking?

Zartor

Hi all,

Returning player. Played in Beta to around 3 months after launch and have come back a few times since then to check out the story, nothing really serious though.

Every MMO I have played I have tanked in. I love it. I have checked out guides on dulfy and TORCommunity and I feel like I have the rotation and gear/stat priorities down, I am running into the issue of leveling too fast and the instance queue.

I remember getting to the capital around level 10-12 and going from there, I started a new Jedi Knight (Defense Guardian) and I am almost 30 now without stepping foot on the capital. I understand that it is a double XP event right now but damn this is going fast. Is this normal now? Gear I am not worried about as I saw you can buy Mods for yellow gear every 3 to 4 levels. Everything seems so easy now at lower levels, is this to hurry up and get you into new content? When does it slow down?

As far as the instance queue, from what I see, it is role neutral now correct? I have been in a few instances and it does not seem to matter that I am a tank as everyone goes full dps and destroys everything. When does this stop? I feel as though I am not really learning mechanics of the game/instances. Do I just rush to 50 - 60 and then worry about learning my class mechanics?

Anyway, maybe I am just over thinking this and it is not an issue. Thanks in advance for any help.

Zeph

They increased the leveling speed around 4.0 iirc. You can now level doing only the purple class/planetary quest. You also really only need to upgrade mods every 10-15 levels.

There's an alien on fleet near the skills trainer who sells a "white acute module" that will disable the 2xp boost if you want.

As far as FP roles, the specific roles only come into play with veteran and master mode. The easier modes let everyone que regardless of your Adv class.

Gotcha.

I did see that item from a vendor to stop the extra XP. Thank you^^

Just looked at the FP group finder and saw that I could filter out instances. I do not see where I can change from veteran/master to regular difficulty? I must be missing something.

Just looked at the FP group finder and saw that I could filter out instances. I do not see where I can change from veteran/master to regular difficulty? I must be missing something.

Veteran is the "regular" difficulty now. Right now, there are 2-3 difficulty modes per flashpoint. Solo/Story-mode, veteran-mode and master-mode.

As the name suggests, Solo/Story-mode is ment to be done allone with a companion and/or a gsi-bot to help you (not all fp's have a solo mode, only those with somewhat relevant story attached to them).

Veteran mode is ment to be done in a group of 4. They are role-neutral and from lvl 15-70 (everbody gets bolstered up to 70) and there are healing stations at the bosses.

Master mode is ment for a group of 4 people (1T, 1H, 2 Dps) from level 50-70 (everbody gets bolstered to 70) it's ment to be the hardest mode (allthough doing master-mode with a halfway decent group will be easier than doing some of the vet fp's with 4 dps at lvl 25 or something).

If you want to start tanking at lower levels, you'll have to do vet-mode. However, since a tank isn't really needed in those, people might not let you tank "properly" or if you don't have a healer you'll probably die a lot if you tank "properly". In theory it might me more helpfull to start with master-mode fp's, because you actually get to tank there and you'll have a healer. However, most people will expect you to know what you're doing in mm-fp's.

So best advice from me: If you aren't in a guild yet, look for one. You can then group up with some guildies and do some vet-mode/ easier mm fp's. Since you're in a full group, you can make sure that people will let you do your job and they won't yell at you if you make a mistake.

If for some reason you don't want to join a guild and don't have ingame friends, you can list for vet-mode and ask the group to let you tank (they might or they might not) or you can list for some easy mm fp's (black talon f.e.) and tell the group that you're new to tanking.

But if possible I would advice to learn a new role with friends/guildies. It's gonna be a more pleasant experience for you.

As the name suggests, Solo/Story-mode is ment to be done allone with a companion and/or a gsi-bot to help you (not all fp's have a solo mode, only those with somewhat relevant story attached to them).

Minor corrections:

* The assistant droid is "Combat Support Droid", but to my knowledge is not specifically GSI. It's commonly called the Jesus Droid or the God-Bot. If you want to practice tanking, dismiss it, because it is way far better at drawing aggro than you are. It doesn't matter how good you are at tanking. It is better.

* The Crisis on Umbara and Traitor Among the Chiss flashpoints have a solo mode but do not have the God-Bot.

If you want to start tanking at lower levels, you'll have to do vet-mode. However, since a tank isn't really needed in those, people might not let you tank "properly" or if you don't have a healer you'll probably die a lot if you tank "properly".

Yes, if you get into a veteran FP as a tank, and you actually want to tank, it's best to try to ask the other players to let you try to tank. Be aware that this generally means that you will attack first, and many players won't wait long for you to attack.

Also, if you are in a veteran mode FP without a healer, be prepared to be responsible for your own health. Don't be hesitant to break agro to go use a kolto station - the other players are not actually relying on you to be a "proper" tank. DO NOT try to insist that someone else take care of your health/koltos.