Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Returning player.....Are Snipers really that bad now?!?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Returning player.....Are Snipers really that bad now?!?

thefishdude
09.15.2021 , 10:17 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by CheesyEZ View Post
I think you're conflating "ease of play" with "most effective."

I suspect there are quite a few sniper mains who will be upset if your complaining about snipers leads BW to lower the skill floor for the class but also (as they should) lower the ceiling along with it (just as merc ceiling is lower than sniper)..
1) I'm definitely not conflating the two. I understand the sniper class in great detail and more importantly, I know it juggles a lot of abilities.

2) Nothing written in this post will get snipers nerfed by Bioware. It was like that at launch and a decade later still seems to be the case. Devs pay lip services to the forums, but they decide nerfs based of their internal data.
Forum Warrior Apprentice

LordCamTheGreat
09.15.2021 , 11:41 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by thefishdude View Post
First, thanks for the detailed response. Second, I'm just not gonna roll a merc or commando (seriously, that ability that heals them is nuts....I've learned to simply stop firing at them or CC them). I've always loved snipers, so I'll continue working on that front.

With that said, Engineering is definitely my favorite spec, but I just don't think its burst is enough. I want it to be, but it just doesn't measure up to my least favorite spec....MM. Unfortunately, as always, MM is/was always the best spec in PVP.
Engineering does put out less burst damage than Marksman, but it has a lot more tricks up its sleeve especially vs melee. Plasma probe alone gives an 8m radius of 50% slow and using interrogation probe + plasma probe + emp gives you another hard stun that's part of your rotation. Also a lot of your damage is internal vs white damage of marksman, so it's harder to negate.

Lastly, what heal are you talking about with the commando/merc? They have 3 with the right utilities!! Kolto heals to 70% hp and is practically impossible for any one or two people to get through, the reflect shield heals while making them immune to single target damage and their basic normal 25% damage reduction shield can go down to a minute cooldown while also healing for 40% hp...(joking aside I know which one you mean lol)

Just be warned that things may change drastically by the time 7.0 comes out - but, it has been implied that we'll be able to pick new combat styles even for current characters. That means that if commando gets giga nerfed for 7.0, you'll be free to pick whatever suits your fancy.
Jack of all classes, master of some. Always remember that cake is a lie.

CheesyEZ
09.15.2021 , 12:51 PM | #23
1) I'm definitely not conflating the two. I understand the sniper class in great detail and more importantly, I know it juggles a lot of abilities.

2) Nothing written in this post will get snipers nerfed by Bioware. It was like that at launch and a decade later still seems to be the case. Devs pay lip services to the forums, but they decide nerfs based of their internal data.
snipers are difficult to play. they aren't bad or even middle of the pack. when you play at the class' skill cap, they are the best ranged class in the game.

in the current meta, mercs are the easiest ranged class to play, and they also have the weakest upside of the three dps classes. sorcs are in the middle and, imo, they are best ranged class for solos and regs. but seriously, any class and any spec is completely viable in regs. if that's where you experience problems, it really is a L2P issue.

you're going to think whatever you think, though. and that's cool. I wouldn't expect to change someone's mind on this forum.

thefishdude
09.17.2021 , 07:46 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by LordCamTheGreat View Post
Engineering does put out less burst damage than Marksman, but it has a lot more tricks up its sleeve especially vs melee. Plasma probe alone gives an 8m radius of 50% slow and using interrogation probe + plasma probe + emp gives you another hard stun that's part of your rotation. Also a lot of your damage is internal vs white damage of marksman, so it's harder to negate.
Wanted to say thank you. Since I love Engineering so much, I took your post to heart and went back to. Worked out a few kinks in the rotation (including defensive abilities) and I'm loving it again! So, thanks for your response and feedback.
Forum Warrior Apprentice

LordCamTheGreat
09.17.2021 , 02:06 PM | #25
Wanted to say thank you. Since I love Engineering so much, I took your post to heart and went back to. Worked out a few kinks in the rotation (including defensive abilities) and I'm loving it again! So, thanks for your response and feedback.
Glad you're enjoying it so much! That's what playing video games is all about

Engineering is also getting some fun options on the PTS to look forward to such as explosive probe resetting on kills and laze target provides a buff to probe damage as well as the auto crit.
Jack of all classes, master of some. Always remember that cake is a lie.

limenutpen
09.20.2021 , 10:03 AM | #26
I love Eng it is my favorite DD class in the game. So much control.
Sniper - GL is the real turret class in the game.

In ranked I fail miserably in it, especially when you have double mellee's with burst spec.

But in regz there is no such class that gives me so much fun.

The thing with Sniper is that it is so much different to the other classes in the game in the way you play it defence wise, that for me when I switch from other classes it takes me a bit of time (2-3 games) to get used to it. Then I am on a roll, top DD in most games and I always do 1.5k HPS with healing roll .