The Ship

OlBuzzard

The following is a story based upon a continuation of the SWTOR saga and those characters in my own profile : LS Republic. It is no way a reflection of choices that others might make or the possible designs of the future of the game.

It has been said that "Change" is the only real constant in the universe. It can, for some, bring the promise of a better tomorrow, hope, or perhaps the opportunity for growth. On the other hand for others: the fear of uncertainty and despair of waiting to see what change will bring to them as they wait and see. In any case ... CHANGE is coming !

For several months now the alliance has focused heavily on creating its own ship building facilities. Some of the materials have been utilized from captured or salvaged stations and or facilities left from the eternal fleet. Even a few of the stations that were at one time used by the throne of Valcorian have been salvaged / cannibalized and placed into orbit around Odessen. For the most part the alliance (despite all of the daily difficulties of growth and management) is still expanding with many looking to the alliance leadership for assistance and guidance.

Lana and Theron have been summoned by the alliance commander to the one ship yard on Odessen that has been closely guarded and the project under construction kept quiet.

Theron: " Any idea what Buzz has been up to for the last several months?"

Lana looking at Theron as they entered the outer security entrance: " Sort of ! He asked me to not discuss it with ANYONE!"

Theron looked at Lana sort of surprised: "ANYONE?"

Lana didn't want Theron to feel too badly ... tried to be somewhat tactful : " I know it sounds a little strange. Particularly when you consider all that we've been through together. But I do respect his requests... especially for this one."

Theron and Lana continued to walk to the secondary security passage in the building... the computer voiced automatically activates: " Bio scans in progress.. Please enter in single file." the female voice commanded.

"Anyone besides me ever wonder what would happen if several simply ran through this area in a disorderly fashion?" Theron cracked candidly.

Lana grinned ominously ... "Considering that Buzz and Oggurobb spent 3 day programming and perfecting the security measures ... I wouldn't recommend it !"

"Good point" !! Theron admitted laughingly !!

Both Lana and Theron comply with the instructions while continuing their discussion.

Lana wanted to insure Theron that there were no personal implications to the affair continued: " In this case Theron it's not the ship exactly ... it's more about what's inside."

Theron was not one to be totally ignorant of the technological advancements of Iokath. He looked at Lana then stopped in his tracks: " He did it didn't he !!! "

Lana motioned for Theron ... "That's what we're here to find out !"

By now Theron was increasingly curious! He loved technological toys. The more advanced ... the more fun to play with. His pace picked up considerably. His heart rate matched his pace. Like a child anticipating Life Day ... Theron was excited to see what awaited them.

They both approached the last security measure. Both stood still in front of a final check point standing over an oval glass plated platform. " Bio scans complete. Subjects approved for entrance."

Lana look at Theron and smiled: " Thanks for understanding"

Theron: " Truthfully ... I still don't understand the necessity to keep this from me personally. But, I support the commanders decision. He has to make up his own mind. And ... he did show me a great deal more trust than most would have.

Theron paused for a moment... then looked to Lana: "Exactly when did this start?"

Lana looked at Theron .. then sort of started into space for just a moment. " I supposed it started after we took out the first station under the control of the eternal empire. It became obvious that we needed to understand the technology better. It became even MORE obvious that we needed some of that technology for our alliance. As time moved on Buzz saw the need to do something about it !"

"But where does he find or make the time?" Theron asked. " Frankly I don't see how the two of you make the time for ... " (stopped suddenly realizing what he was about to say) .. " I mean .. wow! Ummm .. How ?"

Lana was not amused the slightest. " Keep it up ! This meeting could get cut short !"

"Cut short ?" Theron confirmed (looking a little unsettled).

"YES !! " Lana insisted .. "Cut short !"

"Well ... Since you're leading the way .. please continue !" Theron insisted.

" Good answer !" Lana quipped !

" Any idea when the commander is coming?" Theron asked.

Lana relaxed as they continued to make their way to the hanger area. They both stop at a small waiting area where three other corridors converge. " He was supposed to have already met us here. But something came up (again). He should be here shortly ".

Theron looked at Lana. "There has been a LOT MORE of that sort of thing here lately."

Lana stopped walking and looked into Theron's eyes. "I know".

Theron continued: "Add to that this project (that I knew nothing about) and the new space station that he was working out the details of the place just to get into it !!

Lana: "I know !"

Theron: " Then there's the Mandalorian situation."

Lana (getting more frustrated) : "I KNOW !!"

Theron: " And who knows what's going on next with Malgus."

Lana: " I KNOW !!!! "

Theron: " And in just a few more months there will be a little ... !!

Lana (cutting short his dissertation, giving him that LOOK !! ) : "THERON!!"

Theron: "Look Lana ... I'm just saying that there is a lot on his shoulders right now ! You two need a break ... or something. Everything is changing! "

Lana was still standing still in the corridor looking at a friend whom she had known for some time now. She knew that he meant well. She began to calm down.

Theron: " Care to fill me in on the details ... the ship I mean! I'm guessing there's a ship in the hanger.

Lana thought for just a moment : " I think I'll let Buzz fill you in. There is a lot to discuss ! Speaking of which .. There's something that came across my desk a few days ago. Seems like the Republic has been trying to recruit you!"

Theron trying not to appear as surprised that Lana knew about the contact. " You know about that?"

Lana: "Theron, you should be surprised when and IF something happens on the base that I don't know about it ! You're not the only one with contacts still alive in the Republic !"

Theron: " And apparently on this planet as well !"

Lana: " You haven't answered my question !"

Theron: " I haven't decided how to respond yet !"

Lana: "Does that mean you will be leaving us?"

Theron (now leaning up against the wall with his arms folded) : " No ! I don't think so !! I'm not sure !!! Depends !! Besides ... I haven't made up my mind yet !"

Lana: " You still haven't directly answered my question! You're avoiding something!"

Theron (now getting a bit uncomfortable) : "Can we change the subject?"

Lana: " You need to take this up with the commander!"

Theron: " I will ..."

Lana: "When ?"

Ol Buzzard walking through another corridor that led to the waiting area... stopped suddenly !! " Man !! My ears are burning !!! "

(More will come later ... as well as editing as needed)

Edited by OlBuzzard

After months of hard work: pushing both man and material to the breaking point three small but affective ship yards for the alliance has been completed and stationed on Odessen. Another "off site" larger facility was designed for the purpose of salvage operations in a close by location orbiting a small uninhabited planet. Surrounding that a large grave yard of sorts for the many ships from the Republic , a few from Zakuul and a larger number of bits and chunks of ships from the formerly known eternal fleet. There was even several smaller space stations or out posts that had been restored and moved to the area in order to provide lodging and security for the area.

Ol Buzzard reached the corridor intersection where Lana and Theron are in the middle of a "discussion" regarding Theron's future with the alliance.

Lana now getting a little agitated with Theron : " You should tell the commander about the entire affair !"

Ol Buzzard: " About what?"

Lana answering quickly: " Theron ... he's been approached by the Republic for something ... and refuses to discuss it !"

Theron: " When there is something to discuss, Lana, I will !"

The alliance commander looked at both of the friends then smiled. "Are you referring to the new department you were discussing on the station? "

Both Lana and Theron looked at each other somewhat surprised... then back to the commander.

"I have my sources too!" the commander continued. " OK .. they're not as extensive .. but when I need to know something inside of the Republic QUIETLY .. I have a contact or two these days !!"

Theron looked at Lana again as the threesome stood relaxed in the small waiting room which served as a hub for the convergence of the hallways. " Are we getting old? Slowing down? Or just getting sloppy?"

Ol Buzzard smiled: " NOPE !! None of the above! I wanted you to be able to think things over on your own! And besides ... You can manage things from here ! We're in a good position to help those who need trained away form some of the Republic politics before working with the SIS !! And if that doesn't work .. you can decide when, where and what changes need to be made !"

Theron (looking somewhat surprised) : " So you knew all along?"

"Not until the discussion in the space station for certain!" the commander replied. " After that I made some inquiries of my own! I also reached out to the new Republic Chancellor and had an interesting discussion. She is the one who set up the new office. And I told her that I could think of no one better suited for the job. As for your decision to stay here or not ... that's up to you!"

Theron (somewhat humbled) : " If it's OK with you I'm considering turning it down. At lest for now. There's a lot of work to be done here for now. Just like this new SECRET project!"

Ol Buzzard: " I wish you would reconsider. We need you at that post. It will benefit everyone if you did. As for this project being kept quiet ... It was secret for a good reason! Come on! I'll show you why ! Lana, did Oggurobb make it yet?"

"Yes," she replied. "He's already waiting for us !"

The three made their way down another corridor which came to a dead end with another security obstacle just outside the entrance to the hanger bay!

"Please confirm eye retina scan for access!" The facility computer requested.

A facial scanning screen with an appropriate guard provided emerged from the wall next to the door.

"Why do I get the impression that this security measure is not what it seems?" Theron asked as he offered his face to the screening device.

Lana smiled .. " You're good !! And absolutely correct. While the device is doing a retina scanner is doing exactly that ... there are two other scanners doing a full bio scan right now. In addition to that: there are three monitors watching this entrance!"

"Don't forget HK-55 is inside as well!" the commander added.

"HK?" Theron asked with a grin! "Seriously? That would proved interesting!"

"Approved!" the security computer acknowledged.

Theron began to step to the door. But it did not open ! "That's odd!" he pointed out !

Ol Buzzard spoke up: " Not really!"

Theron looked at the commander a bit curious ... "REALLY?"

The commander continued the explanation : " The computer knows that there are three of us out here! It will not open up until ALL of us are cleared! That should help prevent a hostage from being used to gain entrance without having a special reception inside waiting for them."

"AH !! Makes sense ! And HK ?" Theron asked as Lana (the last of the 3) completed the scan.

"Back up !" Ol Buzzard replied lightly ..." JUST in case !"

With that the wide door opened up. Inside there were only a few technicians still around as the project was completed. Oggurobb was discussing a few details to another member of the assembly task force and once finished with the discussion began to make his way to the commander.

Theron was surprised to see the ship that was in the hanger.

"Ah commander it's indeed good to see you here at last !" Oggurobb began. " Finally my latest creation is ready for her maiden voyage! It's a work of art if I do say so myself ! Granted it's frame work and overall design concept was borrowed from another ship ... but the end results are out standing!"

Theron looked at the commander a little puzzled. " You had all of this kept secret? Why?"

The commander sat down next to a desk where Oggurobb and the remaining technicians were located. "What do you see?"

Theron and Lana both looked at the ship. Theron was not as impressed as Lana! It was nice! It was an obvious improvement over the previous model !

"OK!" Theron finally responded with a sigh of obvious frustration ... " I'll bite !! What's this REALLY all about?"

Lana spoke up: " You're on the right track Theron !"

Oggurobb spoke up: " The commander has all but been obsessed with the idea of salvaging as much of the Iokath technology from all of the ships and stations we've encountered and either disabled or destroyed over the years. Since we still don't have control of Iokath or seem to be able have the blessings of Scorpio we found it necessary to begin research of our own."

Theron began to fill in the blanks: " And after Zildrog got through with the eternal fleet ... there was only a few scraps left over. So much of the fleet was essentially vaporized. "

Lana interrupted ... "And there is more! A LOT more !

Theron stopped and sat down in one of the chairs to think for a moment ... He was beginning to get the bigger picture. " You know ... if WE are getting this?"

Ol Buzzard: " You're catching on I can see !"

"Great !! " Theron commented (somewhat frustrated) " I supposed we already know who's coming to dinner?"

Lana looked at Theron: "Unfortunately no! But my resources are suggesting that several, shall we say, enterprising groups are already reportedly scavenging what they can. BUT that is not the real question?"

Theron looked to the commander and to Oggurobb ... something tells me I'm NOT going to be happy with the answers that you've found here ... am I?"

Theron was now beginning to see the bigger picture. But that still left a number of unanswered questions. Why this particular ship was at the top of the list. It made little sense to use such an older ship to remodel or otherwise modify in order to simply alter it's design.

"OK! Theron finally admitted .. " I'm REALLY curious as to the explanation as to WHY this ship?"

The commander was about to provide his long time friend with every detail when he was interrupted with an urgent request from Senya for him to return to the command center immediately!

"Can't this wait 5 minutes ?" He insisted

"Sorry commander it's the admiral!" She insisted " General Daeruun ... And he's upset about something! You need to get here 5 minutes ago !"

"I don't believe this !" the commander grumbled! "Lana, Theron ... Oggurobb HK ..."

Lana interrupted "Just GO !!" There's an emergency speeder next to the ship !! " She exclaimed ... but the commander was already at a dead run and had jumped on the craft by the time she had finished.

"We might as well sit this one out!" Theron sighed. "The last time he received a call like that from the general Buzz didn't even so much as sit down before he was on a shuttle !"

"Tell me about it!" Lana complained!

"Meat bags display a curious sense of excitement and determination when the occasion calls for it!" HK-55 pointed out as he walked near Lana and Theron who had just found a seat near the table where the technicians were located. " Observation: It's a wonder that they don't burn out prematurely under such extreme conditions."

Lana was visibly upset.

"Thanks HK for the rousing and informative encouragement!" Theron pointed out sarcastically. "Have you ordered the flowers yet?"

" Should I be selecting any particular collection of organic adornments ?" The mechanical enforcer requested without hesitation.

With that Lana simply stood up and stormed off looking for the lounge to rest and grab a bite to eat.

HK thought nothing about the departure ... " Perhaps they prefer to make the choice on their own!" With that he simply continued his normal patrol routine inside the hanger bay area, making certain that it was secure.

Those silly fruit roll-ups sounded good ... (again). Some how this time something more healthy to drink though seemed more appropriate. Moments later Theron entered the room. Oggurobb began to make his way to his private office to meditate on the project and the next step in planning.

"Lana, looks like the boss needs us to join him in OP's"! He informed.

Lana looked at Theron. Her appearance seemed different. It wasn't so easily described. But Theron could sense it! "I'm not feeling well!"

"I can see that" Theron concluded sympathetically.

"It's not what you think!" Lana insisted.

"I'm not so sure!" Theron argued ever so calmly. " You take it easy. Stay here for a bit! I'll tell the commander you'll be along shortly. Besides ... somehow I don't think we're headed anywhere this time. This feel more like another security issue."

"Or the Jedi are needing our help again!" Lana pointed out! "It's been a rough few months! Don't misunderstand I'm glad we're doing it!

Theron helped Lana find a more comfortable seating arrangement... a booth was considerably more appropriate under the circumstances. "This must be starting to feel quite awkward to you by now ! The Republic really isn't your home now. And the Sith council .. Let's just say .."

Lana cut Theron short: " I get the picture! The simple fact is this is my home now! I've made some choices. I stand and live by them. I'm not ashamed either. To tell the truth.. I guess even my outlook on the force is changing a bit. I see the balance! I understand compassion much better now!!"

Theron looked surprised at Lana "REALLY".

Lana finding yet another fruit roll up close at hand smacked him with it !!

"I can tell!" Theron quipped as Lana gave him a stern look that he had seem on numerous occasions! " I guess I should be grateful for the change !! There was a time that would have been something considerably more lethal !!"

Getting up from the booth Theron looked at Lana with kindness .. " Look Lana. It's going to work out just fine ! I'll go see what's happening. Call us on the holo communicator and I'll fill you in!"

For some reason when Lana called Theron was unable to answer right away. The meeting with the general was taking considerably more time. Before long Gnost Dural was called into the discussion.

The commander turned to Senya "Where's Lana?" he insisted.

Theron spoke up immediately: " Still at the hanger! And frankly I'm not so sure she's feeling well!"

"Commander !!" Senya called " Hylo Viz needs you on the double!"

"NOW??" Buzz insisted somewhat frustrated!

"Yes! NOW !" Senya reaffirmed!

With a sigh under his breath the commander stepped away from the meeting with the general and departed immediately to see what was urgently needing his attention with Hylo Viz! Before they could complete the business at hand the commander was interrupted with requests from two heads of state and the Republic Supreme Chancellor! In short ... time simply slipped away. Lana was no longer in the hanger but rather had retreated to their personal quarters on Odessen. Theron was at the cantina.

Ol Buzzard called Theron on his personal holo! "Meet me at the hanger!"

"At this hour?" Theron asked.

"Ten minutes !!" the commander insisted.

"You do know that Lana has gone back to your place ... right ?" Theron reminded !

"I know ! No need to remind me! Please ... let's just put out one fire at a time right now!" Ol Buzzard pleaded !! " That means get moving! I'll see you in 10 !"

Surprisingly enough Theron was able to get through the security measures with time to spare !! And once again the twosome stood at the base of the ship!

The ship: looked something like this: http://area51.alienmedia.net/SmugglerNewShip.jpg

"OK .. Before something else falls apart tonight let me fill you in on this whole operation!" the commander instructed as he opened the entry ramp to the redesigned ship. " Let me give you a quick review of what was done:

** New engines

** A whole new power source

** Better armament

** Different and improved hull plating in key areas

** Sleeker design for atmospheric concerns when needed

Theron interrupted: " better crew quarters?"

The commander smiled: " Yes .. that too! Although not much bigger!"

"Still ... just one question: WHY? Why this sort of a ship. Why not a gun ship or something else more adapt to what we need?" Theron asked somewhat puzzled.

The commander and Theron made their way to the newly designed cockpit.. "There were several reasons." The commander started. As he sat down in the pilots seat he began to bring some of the systems on line.

"Some of the main ones :

** We didn't want to attract the wrong attention. If we created a superior combat vessel right up front that would announce something to everyone else what we had discovered. And frankly we were not sure how this would work out at first?"

** That reason is a big part of the main reason for the project: To test the feasibly of merging Iokath technology with our own. Sure we can piece together a few of their ships and make them work. And we have already started that process. BUT ... !"

Theron interrupted: " We needed to know what would happen IF someone else could do what you just did .. and modify existing ships with the other designs."

The commander smiled : " In a word .. YES !"

"And?" Theron asked dying of curiosity.

"Yes and no!" Buzz replied ! He could see the expression on Theron's face. Not good !! " It took Oggurobb and a team of experts over 6 months to do the designs. I helped when I could. Some things took longer than others."

"Like the new engines!" Theron pointed out !!

"Precisely!" the commander said with excitement! "Overall we know now that there are some components that in the right hands can be used and become a real challenge!"

Theron began to move out of the cockpit area .. " Funny thing is ... I've never met the RIGHT people in those cases."

The commanders holo communicator began the familiar sound ... it was Lana !

"I'll leave you two alone," Theron responded, hearing the ring tone and the familiar voice. "It's late ... another few more hours and the sun will be coming up. And frankly .. I'm exhausted!"

"See you then!" the commander replied!

Ol Buzzard made stood to his feet while talking with Lana and began to make his way to the cabin that was set aside for him and Lana. " I really love this ship!" He assured his bride ! " I'm actually going over the ships systems before firing up the engines. I'll notify the security team and make final preparations. I'm thinking that we make a test run in three hours. That should be plenty of time!"

"Any place in particular?" Lana asked.

"How about that new place of ours?" Buzz asked. "Just the two of us!"

"Any chance you can disconnect the communications panel?" Lana asked sternly. "Seems like you hardly have time for us any more !"

"Lana?" Her companion questioned "Why ? No please !"

"I'm not so sure about this!" she began. "So much is changing! Nothing seems to be the same!"

Lana hung up the holo communicator. For whatever reason she still felt strongly about returning to the hanger. Upon arrival she wasted no time making her way through the security system to the ship. HK-55 acknowledging her presence escorted her to the entrance. As she made her way to the cockpit it was obvious that Ol Buzzard was not at the controls.

"I wonder what in the name of common sense he's doing now !!" Lana mumbled to herself . "BUZZ ?" she called loudly. "What are you doing now?"

There was no reply!

"He's probably in the engine room!" she complained "He's ALWAYS in the engine room or playing with the design computer !! ALWAYS !!"

Upon entering the engine room she discovered he was not there! Finally Lana made her way to their cabin. There laying on their bed was her friend, her husband fast asleep. On a desk adjacent to the entrance was a small package with her name on it ... signed by the Ol Buzzard.

She took the package to mess area where there was ample room to open the package and without disturbing the commander. Inside ... a holo message which played as follows:

"Lana. I know that the last few weeks and months have been tough! Unquestionably they have been tougher on you. I just wanted you to know how proud I am of who you are. And yes... the simple fact is that you HAVE changed since we first met! I owe you my life since the days of your rescue from the emperor. But now you are so much more! I found a couple of things I wanted you to listen to. Even though they are from a different place and time ... I hope you understand just what you mean to me !"

Lana felt curiously at peace in side. The stress of the last few weeks and months seemed distant. She wept ... not with bitterness but a happiness she had not previously quite understood before. The sentimentality so often displayed in so many times by the lover of her life no longer seemed so out of place or ill-timed.

With that Lana walked to the cockpit of the newly completed ship, sat in the pilots seat and began to throw switches for the engine ignition sequencer. After speaking briefly to the security personnel contacted the control room inside the hanger. All systems had already been prepped and were ready for launch. All personnel had been notified and the area vacated aside from HK and two remaining security agents. Even the Odessen flight control center had already been notified by the commander prior to her arrival to the large room where experimental vessel awaited take off. All that was needed was the clearance from either Lana or the commander.

"Have HK report to the ship for lift off!" she ordered. "Our destination has been codded as security level 5. Both Senya and Theron know how to contact us if needed."

"Acknowledged" replied the operations manager.

With that ... the massive rooftop hanger doors to the outside opened for the first time, making it possible for the ship to take off vertically! The new engines began to whine as they increased with speed and powered up. Moving ever so cautiously at first ... then once it cleared the building the ship quickly raced to the outer edge of the planets atmosphere. In a few moments time Lana had downloaded the coordinates of the new station into the navigational computer.

In a blink of an eye ... the ship disappeared as it jumped into hyperspace.

Destination: The Station

Edited.

Edited by OlBuzzard