Open world PvP

frennky

we have at start of game, didnt work well, so end it. and we are all happy.

The very existence of this thread (as well as the other threads on this topic) proves that not everyone is happy...

Edited by Voroschuk

the threads at start were way more and more aggressive, so you are wrong about it.

About what? You can clearly see people want to participate in open-world PvP, but it was always lacking content and rewards.

People didn't like getting flagged by trolls who exploited the previous open-world system back in a day, so PvP and PvE were separated with their own instances but since there isn't much to do on those PvP instances they are pretty much empty now. And this is what OP is complaining about.

Literally the only reason to have open world PvP is to gank people to bully them or to try and ruin their day.

What else do you expect people to do if the PvP instance is a PvE instance clone with no actual PvP activities? And the PvE equivalent of Outlaw Den is a plain field with mobs, really, so much fun, no wonder it's so populated.

Literally the only reason to have open world PvP is to gank people to bully them or to try and ruin their day. We have open world PvP in every other sense. Don't make people PvP if they don't want to.

I mean, OWPvP is more about the experience. Instead of fighting in the same designated PvP maps that have to be queued for, there is something more special, immersive, and thrilling about randomly encountering enemy players, anywhere on a planet. It's the fact that a battle could happen anywhere, at any time, and you have the option to either fight or run, or call on guildies and friends to help. You don't get the same experience in a PvP warzone match, or empty PvP instances. It really brings to life the war between the Republic and Empire, and increases the tension between factions, which is something you don't get when pub and imp players are right next to each other with no option to fight. So ganking and bullying isn't the only reason OWPvP exists.

Literally the only reason to have open world PvP is to gank people to bully them or to try and ruin their day. We have open world PvP in every other sense. Don't make people PvP if they don't want to.

not really, no one is talking about bringing back pvp to pve instances, just doing something to make OWPvP viable on PvP instances, and TBH, if you're on a PvP instance, it's your own fault if you get ganked, I play on the PvP instances as they are quieter, and if I happen to bump in to people, I usually give them a wide berth, but the odd time, people are there for pvp, so we fight, and I die (mostly, i'm not a great pvp'er), but I can't complain, it was my choice to be on the pvp instance. Most people kill you and move on, but I've had one of two <redacted> who'd sit there and wait for you to respawn. So I'd usually just stay dead and go and make a cuppa, they eventually get bored...lol

But as I've said, people need to start organising events, and show BW that people want it, with enough things organised, and people participating, they might then look at it again.

But as I've said, people need to start organising events, and show BW that people want it, with enough things organised, and people participating, they might then look at it again.

It's not an easy thing, organizing such an event, you need to gather equal teams on both sides (that's a lot of people), you need to create your own quests, rules, make sure everyone follows them, have a price pool, etc. That is a thing only some major influencers can organize (don't even know if this game has those) or a really large guild.

Ganking only occurs if there's no objectives. That's why you introduce PvP focused quests. And nobody is forcing anyone to PvP. We're talking about PvP instances. It's your choice to switch to PvP instance or stay in PvE.

Ganking only occurs if there's no objectives.

And rewards. Don't forget about rewards). People still DM in regs mostly because they don't see any point in doing those objectives or winning the warzone. And those objectives should be fun to do. Ganking can also be addressed by putting every player in a group once they travel into PvP instance, just like in warzones.

Edited by Voroschuk

having the "No companions" thing for pvp actually stops people from gaining certain achievements: i.e. HK-51 pvp achievement (kill x amount of players with HK-51 as your active companion).

I'm sure those that are for revitalizing OWPvP can live without 1 achievement. On the other hand, the game has evolved over time, so how about evolving the achievement into something else?

Simply put, we don't need companion meta, because there's so many of them and they don't perform the same.

I think that all had to do with companions. Our comps are technically NPCs. Once a comp "entered a battle" with another player that was flagged for PvP, it would also flag the player character. I always played on PvP servers, so never really noticed it happen, but I remember forum posts complaining about it.

It happened too often on the pve servers. I even filed a report thinking it was a bug but it kept happening but then they made the different instances and therefore it doesn't happen anymore. If they want to reward people into playing on the pvp instance, more power to them as it will not affect me so I have no problem with it.

This part? Not true, never has been and never will be. There are people who will gank for "teh lulz" and because they *enjoy* ruining another persons day.

If you think BioWare should add quests/objectives specific to the OWPvP instances, then fine go for it. It won't affect me. Just don't try to say ganking won't happen. It will.

Defeating other players should be the objective of OWPVP. The challenge is that we need more reason that just achievements to go out and do it, so there is activities ouside of scheduled murderball events.

Also, ganking can be managed through a bounty system where you rack up disreputable the more you kill to incent other players to hunt you for bounty. Make it legacy wide as well so you can't hide on your alts. Set a limit that if you get really high disreputable you can be hunted my your own faction as well

I mean, OWPvP is more about the experience. Instead of fighting in the same designated PvP maps that have to be queued for, there is something more special, immersive, and thrilling about randomly encountering enemy players, anywhere on a planet. It's the fact that a battle could happen anywhere, at any time, and you have the option to either fight or run, or call on guildies and friends to help. You don't get the same experience in a PvP warzone match, or empty PvP instances. It really brings to life the war between the Republic and Empire, and increases the tension between factions, which is something you don't get when pub and imp players are right next to each other with no option to fight. So ganking and bullying isn't the only reason OWPvP exists.

If any of that were true the PvP instances would be bustling with activity today.

Edited by mike_carton

The fact that PvP instances are often empty, doesn't mean he's not right. It means that population interested in such a content is small and/or spread out too thin. This is the reason it needs to be organized as events and add additional incentives in order to get more players in those instances.

It's not an easy thing, organizing such an event, you need to gather equal teams on both sides (that's a lot of people), you need to create your own quests, rules, make sure everyone follows them, have a price pool, etc. That is a thing only some major influencers can organize (don't even know if this game has those) or a really large guild.

true, but if you want the devs to put time and resources in to it, you need to show an interest, you need to show that people want it. People need to organise it, like the gsf community has organised some GSF events. Get guilds involved, poll the people in game, here, discord, etc. Start by organising small events, even if it's just for a bit of fun, and see how it builds up.