Warning/Question About Chapter 9 Romance

Johnkorriban

Very Minor Spoilers ahead regarding Chapter 9/Romance

During Chapter 9, when relaxing in the Cantina, there is a point during the party after talking to Theron Shan at the bar, with the choices:

1. "I wish to speak to one of you"

2. [Flirt] "I wish to speak to one of you"

First time around on my main character I just assumed that was flirting toward Theron, when my goal was lana so just picked the first option which then allows you to pick a crew member to go have a private conversation with, so then I went and spoke to Lana Beniko in private, which leads to no flirt options.

While playing my 2nd character through Chapter 9 today I realise that option 2 doesn't give you a choice who to speak to, takes you directly to your romance interest/who you've flirted with, leads onto the same conversation with Lana (or whoever you've been flirting with) which then leads onto further flirt options within the private conversation, which "locks in" your relationship with Lana Beniko officially.

So my question is on my main toon have i now missed the opportunity to Romance Lana Beniko for good? Now that I have missed that trigger will another one present itself in future or is there a way i can go back and rectify this? I sure as hell don't wanna be missing out on the Lana romance on my Main Character

I wanted some answer for myself if anyone knows, and to warn others who did not know.

Edited by Johnkorriban

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really sure if that particular instance is the deciding factor, or if it even matters at all in the long run. It was my understanding that if you get a scene with the person where you kiss them, it seems to lock them as your love interest. I do not think I chose the flirt option in that case (I do not even remember there being an option for me), but I do remember having a kiss scene with her. So if you did get a scene like that already in your playthrough, there is a good chance you have locked it in. If not, don't forget that there are still several chapters left to go.

Of course I could be completely wrong and look silly :p

If you got the pop-up in the middle of the screen asking if you were extra super sure you wanted to kiss _________ as that would start a romance with them, then THAT is the trigger for the romance in chap 9. Whether you can trigger a romance with that character again at a later point, who knows.

Also, that pop-up is obviously a defense against people complaining they didn't realize they had started a homosexual relationship in subsequent chapters, because you know that would have happened, especially since these are the first actual same sex companion romances in the game, outside of random hookups with one shot NPCs.

Edited by Nothing_Shines

That scene is a little ambiguous, I rolled the dice and hoped that it meant I was going to chat with Lana, and I was. My assumption would be that (for now) if you didn't get the pop up to confirm that you are starting a relationship with Lana that you missed the only available step to do that so far.

Hopefully because of threads like this and tickets people create they will make a "second chance" way of confirming the relationship. There are I believe two kiss scenes, the first and then the second has the confirmation box.

If you got the pop-up in the middle of the screen asking if you were extra super sure you wanted to kiss _________ as that would start a romance with them, then THAT is the trigger for the romance in chap 9. Whether you can trigger a romance with that character again at a later point, who knows.

Also, that pop-up is obviously a defense against people complaining they didn't realize they had started a homosexual relationship in subsequent chapters, because you know that would have happened, especially since these are the first actual same sex companion romances in the game, outside of random hookups with one shot NPCs.

This is what i'm talking about, it is a official, definite indication of being "locked" into the relationship, rather than just a kiss here or a flirt there. It even pops up and says "are you sure you want to commit to a relationship with Lana" or words to that effect. But it can only happen if you choose the flirt option at the party AND flirt option in the private conversation. The flirt option at the party is just minorly misleading considering Theron Shan had just been talking....

Edited by Johnkorriban

I don't remember having any flirt option in that scene with Lana at all. But I was "dating" her since Revan and no one else. Don't tell me that now I'm not in an official relationship with Lana..

If you didn't get a pop-up then no, you're not. And there is just the flirt option that I said above, which is highly ambiguous and misleading since you're talking directly to Theron Shan at the time, and in no way does it make you think that'll swing into a convo with your current love interest.

As far as I know, this is the only point currently in the game where it actually confirms you're locking yourself into a relationship with a certain character through a pop-up window asking you to confirm this decision. (Which I'm guessing prevents you from any more Flirt interactions with any of the other characters)

Edited by Johnkorriban

If you didn't get a pop-up then no, you're not. And there is just the flirt option that I said above, which is highly ambiguous and misleading since you're talking directly to Theron Shan at the time, and in no way does it make you think that'll swing into a convo with your current love interest.

As far as I know, this is the only point currently in the game where it actually confirms you're locking yourself into a relationship with a certain character through a pop-up window asking you to confirm this decision. (Which I'm guessing prevents you from any more Flirt interactions with any of the other characters)

Are you kidding me? I picked every flirt option with her since Revan and kissed several times during kotfe. In the bar I only remember to have had the three options talk with Lana, Theron or Koth. I don't even remember if there was a flirt option before that. This is ridiculous. Now what? I'm I going to be a stranger to Lana from one second to another? Of course there is absolutely no way to replay kotfe with your character. Stupid mmo ****. Just make a singleplayer game and save function :mad:

Are you kidding me? I picked every flirt option with her since Revan and kissed several times during kotfe. In the bar I only remember to have had the three options talk with Lana, Theron or Koth. I don't even remember if there was a flirt option before that. This is ridiculous. Now what? I'm I going to be a stranger to Lana from one second to another? Of course there is absolutely no way to replay kotfe with your character. Stupid mmo ****. Just make a singleplayer game and save function :mad:

Play another toon through chapter 9 while romancing Lana, and look for the "I need to speak to one of you/(flirt) I need to speak to one of you" option in that scene, and it'll lead into a Kiss with Her (or other love interest) and then a pop-up notification of locking in your relationship. It's probably on youtube actually.

My problem is the "I need to speak to one of you" flirt option while Speaking and Staring at Theron Shan is highly misleading imo.

This shows a slightly different variation actually, whereas he's obviously flirted with Koth (I assume) and then Koth rejects him then he goes for Lana. But in my instance I pressed "(Flirt) I need to speak to one of you" and took me directly to Lana. Didn't pick the "Flirt" option here the first time, only "I want to speak with you" and I didn't get the flirt option in the Private Conversation.

Aside from that you can see the pop-up notification stating that you are "starting a romance with _______ are you sure?" Which is the lock-in point for the romance.

Edited by Johnkorriban

Since there's so much we still don't know, I just wanted to throw another theory out there. What if the "are you sure" message is only for people who already romanced another character in the earlier game, and is a warning that there will be consequences later? This could explain why the person in this thread with a free 60 who flirted with Lana didn't get the "you are starting a romance" message. Their romance with Lana could still be active, just there's no chance of cheating, so no warning needed?

Either way it would be nice to get a message when the romance flag is triggered since people have been trying to figure those things out for ages.

^Nope, Cloud. That's not it. My femBH only romanced Lana the entire game.

I did the same thing others did at first and mistakenly thought the first (party) flirt option was for Theron so I didn't pick it. But when the following conversation started and I didn't have a follow up option to flirt with Lana, I escaped out and chose flirt when prompted by Theron. The subsequent convo options were then choosing between Lana or Theron. The private convo with Lana provided the pop-up warning about locked in romance with Lana.

It's obviously a mistake in the wording for the conversation tree which should have been picked up in QA.

It should not have been directed at Theron and it should have said:

Continue Convo with Group

Continue Convo with Group (Optional Flirt)

So many people are going to screw this one up that my guess is BW will have to include a second romance trigger chance in the upcoming chapters to avoid further rage from players.

Edited by Nothing_Shines

I have the exact same problem. After the conversation with Lana didn't go anywhere I had a bad feeling, wondering if I mistook what the conversations options were conveying. I tried to reset the chapter but I couldn't find a way to. Even in my log the reset button was grayed out.

It's really frustrating. I wish there was a way to fix this because it wasn't a "I didn't get the story I wanted because of my choices" issue, but a "SWTOR interface didn't convey the information to me clearly" one.

At this point, seems like all we can do is hope that there's a second chance later on. Would be a shame if over a year of [flirt]s (for Lana and Theron, at least) went to waste because we didn't take this option.

Agreed.

Also hoping we will still get to resume romances with our old companions when they eventually return...

Spoilers ahead, based on my experiences...

As far as I can tell from playing thing through a couple of times, when you enter the cantina and get the option speak to someone in private and choose the flirt option, it'll bring up anyone you have been flirting with (except Senya, who I think only has one flirt...), and you will be brought to a private conversation, provided they don't dislike you. By dislike, I mean a lot of disapprovals. This does not seem to be influence based, but is more about them actually liking your decisions. In other words, if you seriously piss off Koth but then tell him you want to make out, he'll probably say no. This also makes sense as all of the romance parts seem to be taking place during the story arc now.

This then leads to the conversation to "lock-in" the romance with that person.

People who have flirted a lot but aren't able to lock-in a romance may have high disapprovals - just a guess. The lock-in/warning also happens whether or not you were married before, as I've done this both ways now.

The chronic vagueness of Bioware's conversation options strikes again.

This. In every other BW game, when the time comes to GET SERIOUS with a companion for romance, it is made quite obvious if for no other reason than you're talking SOLELY to that companion. Plus, there's no stupid "ARE YOU SURE?" line like you're a dummy, it's just very obvious by the dialogue and the sole focus on that companion what is about to happen.

Since there's so much we still don't know, I just wanted to throw another theory out there. What if the "are you sure" message is only for people who already romanced another character in the earlier game, and is a warning that there will be consequences later? This could explain why the person in this thread with a free 60 who flirted with Lana didn't get the "you are starting a romance" message. Their romance with Lana could still be active, just there's no chance of cheating, so no warning needed?

Either way it would be nice to get a message when the romance flag is triggered since people have been trying to figure those things out for ages.

Anyone that's got any history with BW on their forums can tell you; where romances are concerned, ninjamancing is a thing, and that's what that pop up is for. My guild leader got it, and asked about it, and that was my first thought, they made sure no one would be able to claim ninjamancing.

Well this topic was an odd read. At the first post that mentioned a confirmation warning pop-up I took it as a joke post, poking fun at the series of confirmation boxes to start KotFE. And then the topic filled up with posts backing it up as a thing that was really in there.

Spoilers ahead, based on my experiences...

As far as I can tell from playing thing through a couple of times, when you enter the cantina and get the option speak to someone in private and choose the flirt option, it'll bring up anyone you have been flirting with (except Senya, who I think only has one flirt...), and you will be brought to a private conversation, provided they don't dislike you. By dislike, I mean a lot of disapprovals. This does not seem to be influence based, but is more about them actually liking your decisions. In other words, if you seriously piss off Koth but then tell him you want to make out, he'll probably say no. This also makes sense as all of the romance parts seem to be taking place during the story arc now.

This then leads to the conversation to "lock-in" the romance with that person.

People who have flirted a lot but aren't able to lock-in a romance may have high disapprovals - just a guess. The lock-in/warning also happens whether or not you were married before, as I've done this both ways now.

Nah this is not it, this is simply not choosing the Party flirt option when speaking to Theron, and instead picking the "I need to speak to one of you" instead of the "(flirt) I need to speak to one of you"

You get the private conversation with that character either way, but can only go for the lock-in if you pick the flirt option during the party which is vague.... to say the least.

^Nope, Cloud. That's not it. My femBH only romanced Lana the entire game.

I did the same thing others did at first and mistakenly thought the first (party) flirt option was for Theron so I didn't pick it. But when the following conversation started and I didn't have a follow up option to flirt with Lana, I escaped out and chose flirt when prompted by Theron. The subsequent convo options were then choosing between Lana or Theron. The private convo with Lana provided the pop-up warning about locked in romance with Lana.

It's obviously a mistake in the wording for the conversation tree which should have been picked up in QA.

It should not have been directed at Theron and it should have said:

Continue Convo with Group

Continue Convo with Group (Optional Flirt)

So many people are going to screw this one up that my guess is BW will have to include a second romance trigger chance in the upcoming chapters to avoid further rage from players.

This guy gets it, and as for future chances, I hope so man, I hope so. I'm pretty bummed about fudging this one up on my Main. Really not very clear imho during that Theron/Party scene.