KoToR Remake Delayed Indefinitely

TruBeliever

Title.

What do you guys think? The art team took the hit but I'm not so sure that's what caused the game to be delayed or slow development. The art direction was there and just had to be replicated for modern hardware. Maybe changes in the story or the d20 system was scrapped?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-07-26/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-game-paused-amid-studio-shakeup

The art direction was there and just had to be replicated for modern hardware.

Presumably it *wasn't* there, or not the way that someone relevant to the decision wanted it to be. In the end, replicating the original game's style is easy - just run the original game, with minimal bug fixes to make it run on modern operating systems, like what Ziggurat did with Bloodrayne Terminal Cut.

However, since the article is clear that it's *also* a console port, the developers have to do more than just fix up the OS incompatibilities, and presumably would want to also modernise the graphics, and the need for art direction lies *there*.

d20 system was scrapped?

As far as I know, they did not intend to keep the old system, as it is regarded as "outdated".

Rather than this remake, I'd love to see KOTOR 2 get properly finished and receive a Neverwinter Nights 2-like editor. It always seemed strange to me that the KOTOR games used the NWN engine, but didn't get editor for some reason.

And while the first one is unlikely(since probably there would be complications with VA and there seems to be a disinterest in KOTOR 2 compared to KOTOR 1 in general), the second one is quite realistic and would really boost the modding scene.

• 2 months later...
On 7/27/2022 at 12:56 AM, TruBeliever said:

Title.

What do you guys think? The art team took the hit but I'm not so sure that's what caused the game to be delayed or slow development. The art direction was there and just had to be replicated for modern hardware. Maybe changes in the story or the d20 system was scrapped?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-07-26/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-game-paused-amid-studio-shakeup

Oh man, but then again, wasn't the last person working on it a massively woke person that hated Starwars.....or didn't like it........oh well, i was looking forward to it too.

• 3 weeks later...

My guess the developer, Aspyr, bit off more than they could chew. This was a full remake, everything made from scratch. That means totally new game design and all new graphics & sound for every character, enemy, and environment. Aspyr has never made a AAA game like this, mostly just Mac ports of Windows games, so it wasn't a surprise to me they ran into problems. Hopefully, the new developer can do something, but I have a strong feeling it will be quietly cancelled (no announcement, just no talk about it ever again). It would be nice to be a quality remake (if they could pull it off), but KOTOR 1 & 2 are still pretty fun even after all these years. I mean it's easy for me to say because I grew up with them, but anyone that can get over the old D20 rules, will have a lot of fun.

If that Hasbro Black Series Darth Malak figure that was recently revealed is anything to go by we might be looking at some pretty crappy re-designs for some of the KotOR characters...

I really dislike the new design used in that figure, it completely changes Malak's original lean/muscular design with his skin tight armor to this very bulky silhouette with the loose clothing.

The Bastila black series figure however looks pretty much identical too old Bastila, however me and some friends all commented that her face looked slightly like Satele from SWTOR.