Disney VS StarWars

Kuytar

Hi!

I have been asking myself this a lot the past couple of years, I hope Devs or anyone else here have a good informative response for this.

- Will Disney's involvement in Lucasfilm Ltd have any impact of how this awesome game and epic story evolves?

- Will Disney have as much impact on the story presented in this game as they had with the movies or are you doing your own parallel independent thing/storytelling at the side of Disney's heretic ways?

(I really hope you do your own thing independently as Disney have no sense of storytelling or creativity)

In my opinion (and everyone else i know) Disney buying Lucasfilm Ltd is the worst thing every happen to the Starwars franchise in terms of storytelling and character development. I do understand that new advertising will make the player base and fan base go up which is good, but at what cost...

It actually makes me angry to see them butchering the movie franchise with these new false lore they implemented as an attempt to keep the already solid ended story alive.

In my opinion the balance of the force in the universe is restored to normality with the ending of episode 6. thus no more need for Death-planets or jedi's/Sith's anymore.

Best Regards

M

Disney are very thorough with all of their IPs, to make sure the stories being told are on-message with what Disney want (which is usually American conservative family-values that hit their core demographics and drive sales of merchandise).

I suspect the Star Wars universe will be no different to any of their other IPs in that respect.

That does not necessarily mean that Star Wars will turn into a Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck adventure, because some of the stories Disney tells can be quite dark in places, but they are full of moralising and heroic heroes versus villainous villains. Not many shades of grey there.

On the positive side, Disney have the financial and technical resources to push Star Wars in a number of exciting directions, but on the negative side Disney does tend to be very risk-averse and prone to milking their franchises like any good cash cow.

• Sad 1

I have done a pretty good search on the LUCASFILM GAMES and https://www.starwars.com/games-apps sites and I can’t even find a mention of Swtor at all. It’s like it doesn’t even exist as a SW game.

But I can find references to old Star Wars game from 30 years ago. Not sure if that means anything at all except maybe they don’t care about swtor?

I wonder if Disney / Lucasfilm games would consider buying Bioware from EA and making swtor 2 :D

That would be awesome :cool:

I can't give you a direct quote, but I am pretty sure that when Disney got the license, they declared the entire Old Republic timeline including all of the introduced characters like Revan as non-canon and therefore as non-existent in terms of the overall Star Wars lore. Which is why you don't find any mention of it in the official lore timeline that they gave us together with the new High Republic comic.

So in their eyes there is nothing before the High Republic era and the devs should be able to do whatever they want for as long as they don't meddle with the canon timeline and stick to the family friendly values of the company.

Lastly, it is also important to note that the licensing deal for this game was made solely with LucasArts before Disney took over, so any change in the licensing deal between Disney and EA would not directly affect the game unless EA decides to do something.

Edited by Phazonfreak

I have done a pretty good search on the LUCASFILM GAMES and https://www.starwars.com/games-apps sites and I can’t even find a mention of Swtor at all. It’s like it doesn’t even exist as a SW game.

But I can find references to old Star Wars game from 30 years ago. Not sure if that means anything at all except maybe they don’t care about swtor?

I wonder if Disney / Lucasfilm games would consider buying Bioware from EA and making swtor 2 :D

That would be awesome :cool:

SWTOR is featured 3 times in their sizzle video on the announcement page/YouTube channel.

https://www.starwars.com/news/lucasfilm-games

(Roughly at 0:27, 1:30, and 1:34)

It is strangely not on the PC games section of the website itself though, I'll give you that.

To OP in particular: This thread is silly, please stop.

Edited by jedimasterjac

• 4 weeks later...

I still think Disney doesn't know/cant decide what they want to do if anything at all about Revan, Old Republic, Origins of the Sith, Early Jedi any of it really. I have seen interviews of KK where (ofcourse) Revan was mentioned, she gave a non committal answer and ended that answer with something similar to "Things are happening" something like that.

If they do Commit to anything, it push's other elements off of the table of possibilities and brings in others. *If they're going to, they may be trying to make the best decision with the widest latitude of possibilities. As much as I would *Like, to see a Larger Old Republic platform, considering......Disney, I'd be Very Cautious they follow continuity and fan accepted (preferred) Lore.

Disney hasn't pleased as much of Star Wars fans as they could've.

Edited by MikeCobalt

In regards to the whole situation with Disney and Lucasfilm, if they haven't done anything yet they probably wont do anything in the near future.

Disney acquired Lucasfilm back in October of 2012 just a year after Star Wars: The Old Republic's (SWTOR's) global launch announcement in October of 2011 and subsequent launch in December of the same year. Since then, Lucasarts the game division of Lucasfilm Ltd., was shut down in April of 2013 by Disney after which all development rights for Star Wars video game media was given to EA just a month later. At this point SWTOR had entered its 2nd year and had already made a steady profit for EA, after the few ups and downs that were experienced with regards to the Subscription/Free-to-play hybrid business model of the game.

As most should already know Disney announced back in April of 2014 that they would forego all of the material in the Star Wars Expanded Universe (EU), which included all previous Star Wars games, books, and comics, and label it all as Star Wars Legends. Disney has since pulled plot elements from the vast EU and incorporated those ideas into the Sequel Trilogy and related content.

Now where does that leave SWTOR? Well it falls under the same banner as the EU, a "Legend," except for the fact that we have had constant content updates for SWTOR over the last 6 years. SWTOR is developed by Bioware a subsidiary of EA since 2008, and EA has given freedom to Bioware to continue to support SWTOR, I believe in part, due to it being a profitable venture as well as the fact that it doesn't interfere with any of Disney's plans for the Star Wars Franchise due to the in game timeline.

In conclusion, SWTOR has a thriving community, receives new content regularly, and is turning a steady profit. I do not believe that EA or Disney will shut down this cash cow.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.