Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Do you support a Mac OS X client in Star Wars the Old Republic?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Do you support a Mac OS X client in Star Wars the Old Republic?

notebene
03.15.2012 , 05:25 PM | #491
I'm a hard core PC person myself, but I think they ought to start putting more effort into making straight Mac versions of these games, all our great games. The make 2-3 console versions of many of the games we enjoy these days, yet the Mac still gets the shaft.

I'll admit, I'm not terribly knowledgeable about Macs, don't own one, not 'sure' if I'll ever buy one (toying with the idea of a Macbook Pro for my next work rig, since most of my 'work computers' are all virtual machines I connect to and work on these days, 'what' I use to do that is becoming less and less important), but to think after all this time, this is where we're at, it's kinda sad.

A Mac is a PC. Just like Puffs are Kleenex. Doesn't matter what got coined as the name, it does the same thing. It just happens to be a tightly coupled hardware/software marriage.

Not sure why I decided to post. Maybe it was because I took a bit of the Apple today and my first iPad (first Apple product, I think...oh wait, I had an old *** iPod with a big hard drive in it once) is on it's way. April 11th though - heavy sigh.
MOTD - One Giant Server - When I'll Need To Make My 'Bucket-List' List 1. I'm not having fun any more. 2. Puritans. 3. One or more characters were renamed in a server merge. 4. Something given to 'all characters on account' are not given to 'all characters on account'. 5. Design by Committee.

Pencilvania
03.15.2012 , 05:26 PM | #492
Quote: Originally Posted by kjfett View Post
You assumption fails to take into account that company X is doing well because of a product line unrelated to gaming, unless you are in fact proposing an iOS ipad client. The computer sales can not be translated into their stocks when their sales pail in comparison to ipads, ipods which are in fact the reason the company is growing at all. One only needs to look at the company X before their trendy little windows CE knockoffs to see how little their computer sales are in the scheme of things.

Oh and Alienware owner's are trendy hipsters smart enough to get actual power for their money, not waste it on an apple logo. Gaming geeks build their own PCs, spend a lot less on hardwarr that makes company X's product look like company F.

Anyways, you bought Mac knowing full well that game devs as a whole did not code for it. Learn to adapt with tools already available instead of demanding someone else foot the bill for you. They arenot obligated to provide you with a Mac client(period)
I made no assumptions in my pervious post. You may have added them after the fact but it doesnít change the market. Adequate proof of market share and support was given. The onus does not fall to me in such a case. The computer sales have grown year after year if you wish to belabor the point. Those statistics are not in dispute.

A company that makes computers gains market share and brand loyalty year in year out. Is this not enough of an indicator? I suspect that perhaps you problem lies more in a company name and itís perception than in itís worth in the gaming community.

Your bias towards a particular brand of computers does not change the market trend and strength I had outlined previous. If you would like to debate maybe how strong that momentum really is then I think a dialogue is more than acceptable.

Simply saying Company X is nothing but itís mobile line is a skewed view not taking into account the rest of the company hardware and the loyal users they garner.

Your did not give a counterpoint to what you had asked for. You did not acknowledge the point previously made. You pointed out a large wing of a company and skipped the portion of the company that you had asked to be clarified.

I would ask that you give a response related to the answer of your original question.
SWTOR FOR MAC! SWTOR FOR EVERYONE!

Pencilvania
03.15.2012 , 05:34 PM | #493
Quote: Originally Posted by Iandayen View Post
Mac users are grossly overstating the actual number of mac gamers vs pc gamers.

Trust me on this - Mac users are the 1%ers.

You are a HUGE minority - and from a monetary standpoint it is not worth it.
The hundreds of thousands of Mac World of Warcraft subscribers may disagree with your viewpoint.

Many guild started in SWTOR have said in many other SWTOR forums that their guilds are taking 20-30% hits because of the Mac users in their guilds. This of course is an indicator from another game however it is SWTORís main competitor, all MMORPGS main competitor in fact.

If you like I can find some of those links for you to take a look at.

kjfett
03.15.2012 , 06:00 PM | #494
Quote: Originally Posted by Pencilvania View Post
I made no assumptions in my pervious post. You may have added them after the fact but it doesnít change the market. Adequate proof of market share and support was given. The onus does not fail to me in such a case. The computer sales have grown year after year if you wish to belabor the point. Those statistics are not in dispute.

A company that makes computers gains market share and brand loyalty year in year out. Is this not enough of an indicator? I suspect that perhaps you problem lies more in a company name and itís perception than in itís worth in the gaming community.

Your bias towards a particular brand of computers does not change the market trend and strength I had outlined previous. If you would like to debate maybe how strong that momentum really is then I think a dialogue is more than acceptable.

Simply saying Company X is nothing but itís mobile line is a skewed view not taking into account the rest of the company hardware and the loyal users they garner.

Your did not give a counterpoint to what you had asked for. You did not acknowledge the point previously made. You pointed out a large wing of a company and skipped the portion of the company that you had asked to be clarified.

I would ask that you give a response related to the answer of your original question.
and yet with all this time and effort on your part...wasted. How's that feel?
Harbinger Server- Wild Legacy
Thornz
< Burning Chaos >

Pencilvania
03.15.2012 , 06:15 PM | #495
Quote: Originally Posted by kjfett View Post
and yet with all this time and effort on your part...wasted. How's that feel?
If you choose to invalidate yourself from the discussion I take no offense. You may taunt me if you choose but it won't elisit an angry response on my part.

My answer was clear and accurate, I still awake a counterpoint to the question you asked.

kjfett
03.15.2012 , 06:23 PM | #496
Quote: Originally Posted by Pencilvania View Post
If you choose to invalidate yourself from the discussion I take no offense. You may taunt me if you choose but it won't elisit an angry response on my part.

My answer was clear and accurate, I still awake a counterpoint to the question you asked.
It's more an issue of me being too busy queueing up for WZs and only have a few minutes to pester you on this thread between them....can't type long winded responses and PVP at the same time. You're welcome to join me on Ajunta Pall...that is if you have a Windows PC sitting around....
Harbinger Server- Wild Legacy
Thornz
< Burning Chaos >

Toxen
03.15.2012 , 06:32 PM | #497
Quote: Originally Posted by notebene View Post
A Mac is a PC. Just like Puffs are Kleenex.
I hate to be that guy but:

Puffs aren't Kleenex. Puffs and Kleenex are both brandnames of facial tissue.

EDIT: but you're right, Macs are PCs.
"Peace is a lie, there is only pancake."

Pencilvania
03.15.2012 , 07:11 PM | #498
Quote: Originally Posted by Toxen View Post
I hate to be that guy but:

Puffs aren't Kleenex. Puffs and Kleenex are both brandnames of facial tissue.

EDIT: but you're right, Macs are PCs.
It's what makes the argument so convoluted and silly. What people are really saying is "My PC is better than your PC." Either way the topic is worded it still has nothing to do with our thread.

Darth_Gao_Gao
03.15.2012 , 07:15 PM | #499
if they can produce a mac client version without diverting resources into making the game not completely terrible, then sure, why not.

so, yeah, the answer is no.

Toxen
03.15.2012 , 08:09 PM | #500
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Gao_Gao View Post
if they can produce a mac client version without diverting resources into making the game not completely terrible, then sure, why not.

so, yeah, the answer is no.
Your avatar is the first one I've seen.
"Peace is a lie, there is only pancake."