Today's surreal moment...

Coming out of the Korriban Academy and seeing a character whose name was letter-for-letter identical to the name of one of my characters, except for a space where my character has an apostrophe.

Probably not as surreal as it was for some other players when I switched accounts and logged on as *my* character and went to Korriban and the Academy. See, the other character was a different species and the opposite sex. Several people stopped to stare at this character whose name was almost the same as the name of a character they saw a few moments previously, but who doesn't look remotely like that other character.

I shall spare the copy-cat's blushes by not naming my character here, thanks, and just mention that one of my "mantras of MMORPGs" gaming rules is named after my character.

Before you ask, no, she's not called "Jennurs'horde"...

Given the millions of characters that have been created, it's not surprising that some would have similar names, no matter how obscure the name seems.

Similar, perhaps, but identical except for one separator? It's like someone saw me discussing the exploits of this character and decided to create one of the same name, except it was still taken (er, by my own character, duh).

It's a funny coincidence that you'd be online at the same time as this other character, but that's really all it is. I named a character of mine after a member of a band I like and ran into someone else who named their character after a different member of that group. We acknowledged each other, but that's about it.

Or someone simply coincidently came up with the same name and found it was 'in use' so they had to jig the spelling. 🤔

This is what I'm thinking. While I wasn't on my version of the name, I saw someone using the same name, spelled slightly different (I had Korilynn...forget how they spelled it exactly).

I had a name, no idea how I lost it, and not it looks to be taken by someone else. So, people picking the same name is going to happen.

Just lame that the game can't set it up to allow you to pick the same names. As if no one repeats names in the universe :p

I was accused of being "woke" because apparently my character shared a name with one in a star wars cartoon that is so vague I never have been able to find it. I usually carry over names from previous games some going back decades. It is always interesting when you come across someone with same or similar name but not shocking and I never assume I influenced their choice, no matter how random the name. Just too big a planet.