Have to admit I am really disappointed. Subscribing doesn't unlock new races??

Habskilla

Just disappointed.

I know it doesn't say anything about unlocking new races but it did talk about unlocking the new expansion and I guess I just sort of assumed that included the new races

Just a little disappointed is all

The new species were not part of any of the expansions. They were separate Cartel Market purchases. However the cartel coins you get from subscribing, plus the security key will allow you to purchase one a month. Subscribing also lets you claim all of the subscriber Galactic Seasons rewards you didn't get when you were not a sub. There are more than enough coin rewards in GS to get all three species. Edited by Damask_Rose

Just disappointed.

I know it doesn't say anything about unlocking new races but it did talk about unlocking the new expansion and I guess I just sort of assumed that included the new races

Just a little disappointed is all

Just build up your free cartel coin wallet (500 ea month + 100 if you have security key = 600 / month), and unlock w/ your subscription over time.

No need to pay separately unless you want it now. Then welcome to the world of Micro-Transactions in video games.

Unless things changed I am pretty sure F2P do not have access to races such as Chiss, Miraluka, Mirialan, Rattataki, Sith Pureblood & Twi’lek. These get unlocked once you subscribe - again unless it got changed.

Unless things changed I am pretty sure F2P do not have access to races such as Chiss, Miraluka, Mirialan, Rattataki, Sith Pureblood & Twi’lek. These get unlocked once you subscribe - again unless it got changed.

That's correct. They only have access to Humans, Cyborgs, and faction-tied (red on Imp, brown on Pub) Zabraks. They can unlock access to opposite-faction Zabs (red on Pub, brown on Imp) by playing a Zab to level 50.

Our subscriptions have been systematically devalued. Every core system (gearing, crafting, and progression) has mechanics monetized beyond our subscriptions.

How? I just came back after 5yrs and I have yet to pay anything outside of my sub.

How? I just came back after 5yrs and I have yet to pay anything outside of my sub.

It's everywhere; every pay-not-to-wait transaction in the game is an act of sabotage against subscriber quality of life.

Remember, monetization isn't just a hard paywall. It's often soft paywalls, where players are frustrated into paying past grinds.

Monetization 101: The 'free' grind in any monetized system is always tuned to incentivize financial transactions. Subscribers have every core system festooned with 'free,' but monetized mechanics.

Galactic Seasons is nothing but monetized Conquest, and a giant front for the cash shop. Companion levels, tech fragments, end-game Augs, crafting, credits, and XP/RXP are all either directly or indirectly affected by cash transactions past a subscription.

Edited by FlatTax

Galactic Seasons: How? Someone has post that they completed it without spending any CC on it and it still has months to go.

Companion levels: How? You can buy companion gifts on the CM.

Tech fragments, end-game Augs, crafting, credits, and XP/RXP how is any of these affected by CM? They are all done by playing the game...

Galactic Seasons: How? Someone has post that they completed it without spending any CC on it and it still has months to go.

Companion levels: How? You can buy companion gifts on the CM.

Tech fragments, end-game Augs, crafting, credits, and XP/RXP how is any of these affected by CM? They are all done by playing the game...

I'll re-explain a little differently: the presence of a 'free' grind doesn't erase the fact that these systems are still monetized; every level of Galactic Seasons has a button on it to pay cash, and skip the grind EA never intended us to complete.

Same thing with Comp levels; you can grind it out, with even further monetized wait mechanics like gift-giving speed, or you can buy L50 for cash.

Pay the cash, and you have an advantage you didn't before. When you do this, you are acting as intended by EA, because these systems are monetized for a reason. Our QoL is sabotaged to incentivize the financial transaction.

As subscribers, our game mechanics shouldn't be monetized beyond our sub, and the clearly are.

Edited by FlatTax

I'll re-explain a little differently: the presence of a 'free' grind doesn't erase the fact that these systems are still monetized; every level of Galactic Seasons has a button on it to pay cash, and skip the grind EA never intended us to complete.

Same thing with Comp levels; you can grind it out, with even further monetized wait mechanics like gift-giving speed, or you can buy L50 for cash.

Pay the cash, and you have an advantage you didn't before. When you do this, you are acting as intended by EA, because these systems are monetized for a reason. Our QoL is sabotaged to incentivize the financial transaction.

As subscribers, our game mechanics shouldn't be monetized beyond our sub, and the clearly are.

You keep saying it but are not providing any proof of it. That as sub I have to pay more money than my sub to advance my character. Where? Every convenience you list can be bought with in game currency that is earned by playing the game.

As a sub, Galactic Seasons are extremely easy to keep up on. It's more of bomb that's set to go off in September, when people who haven't been playing the game suddenly panic and think they're missing out on something they'll regret not having. That's the target audience for Galactic Seasons, the ones who'll buy 100 bucks of cartel coins towards the end of September.

I agree with most your points, but at the same time, I think you just take it a few steps too far. If you're a subscriber who wants EVERYTHING, then yes, extra monetization certainly kicks in. However, if you're a subscriber, actively playing, who wants very specific things, it's pretty easy to minimize or eliminate all the extra swiping of your credit card.

You keep saying it but are not providing any proof of it. That as sub I have to pay more money than my sub to advance my character. Where? Every convenience you list can be bought with in game currency that is earned by playing the game.

If by "advance your character" you mean acquire weirdly shaped stat items that have no appearance to plug into a generic armor skin then no additional funds needed.

If advancing your character means more to you than statistical gain then no...you will need to spend money on the market.

Pretty much everything that drives my play longevity in other MMO(s) is removed from the SWTOR gameplay loop and has been placed on the Cartel Market. No running old content for gear skins, no running new content for gear skins/mounts/gadgets...

I subscribe one month out of about every 6 maybe...I play through whatever trivial story content they manage to coble together and then I let my sub lapse...the only reason I do that is the SW IP... This game just doesn't compare to any other MMO on the market in my opinion...its just Star Wars.

The only more monetized games I can think of have substantially more depth and appeal for a wide range of play styles...which is at least a reason to put up with the terrible money markets...SWToR is super basic in design and about to get worse it seems.

Honestly I can'twait for this game to get canned and the license removed from EA so we can get a decent SW MMO...Bioware lost their touch a long time ago.

Edited by Soljin

If by "advance your character" you mean acquire weirdly shaped stat items that have no appearance to plug into a generic armor skin then no additional funds needed.

If advancing your character means more to you than statistical gain then no...you will need to spend money on the market.

Pretty much everything that drives my play longevity in other MMO(s) is removed from the SWTOR gameplay loop and has been placed on the Cartel Market. No running old content for gear skins, no running new content for gear skins/mounts/gadgets...

I subscribe one month out of about every 6 maybe...I play through whatever trivial story content they manage to coble together and then I let my sub lapse...the only reason I do that is the SW IP... This game just doesn't compare to any other MMO on the market in my opinion...its just Star Wars.

The only more monetized games I can think of have substantially more depth and appeal for a wide range of play styles...which is at least a reason to put up with the terrible money markets...SWToR is super basic in design and about to get worse it seems.

Honestly I can'twait for this game to get canned and the license removed from EA so we can get a decent SW MMO...Bioware lost their touch a long time ago.

So pretty power. Ok

You're playing an RPG tough guy.

Why because I think it doesn't matter how my character looks. The 8 characters I am currently playing all look like they did when I created them as a level 1. That gray basic gear.

If a game wants to sit there and sell cosmetics items to keep the game up and running. Doesn't bother me. The market is flood with MMO. All of them are trying to be the next WoW. It will never happen again. There are too many MMO out there and all offering different things. No one game is going to offer everyone what they want. They will never have the massive sub base that WoW once did.

So pretty power. Ok

Even here, core mechanics are monetized. Our CM cosmetics are not cosmetic-only; they're also mules for money laundering.

It goes like this: you go to the CM and buy a 'cosmetic' mule for cash, march it over to the GTN where you convert it to credits, and use credits to buy your end-game Augments.

Cash, by design, is leaking into all our core mechanics. As subscribers, for $155.88 year over year, we deserve better.

Edited by FlatTax

Any mechanic that offers a pay-not-to-wait transaction is a monetized game mechanic. It doesn't get any clearer.

Why because I think it doesn't matter how my character looks. The 8 characters I am currently playing all look like they did when I created them as a level 1. That gray basic gear.

If a game wants to sit there and sell cosmetics items to keep the game up and running. Doesn't bother me. The market is flood with MMO. All of them are trying to be the next WoW. It will never happen again. There are too many MMO out there and all offering different things. No one game is going to offer everyone what they want. They will never have the massive sub base that WoW once did.

I don't want SWTOR to be like WoW. I would much rather it be like KoToR... Especially since this is essentially the sequel to that game...

I want SWTOR to be better at something than those other MMO's (RPG Elements: Story/Character building) and they already have the formula to do it...they just won't. What they did instead was suck the soul out of the game, set it on a shelf and slam a price tag on it...

Bioware deserves massive criticism for how they have treated this game and people are so happy they even have a Star Wars game they settle for mediocre or terrible with a huge smile...it's sad and honestly its at the core of what's bringing down the quality of games across the industry.

Your points on your gear choices are fine with me...its subjective and I'm glad you are happy with very plain gear appearances.

I would think that if you really don't care about character appearances that you would play any of the other MMOs which have superior PvP/PvEcombat design and performance... Surely not a tab target game w/ no dodge mechanic...probably one of the lowest skill cap combat systems out there for PvP and PvE next to WoW (ironically) which is also terrible.

Edited by Soljin

Even here, core mechanics are monetized. Our CM cosmetics are not cosmetic-only; they're also mules for money laundering.

It goes like this: you go to the CM and buy a 'cosmetic' mule for cash, march it over to the GTN where you convert it to credits, and use credits to buy your end-game Augments.

Cash, by design, is leaking into all our core mechanics. As subscribers, for $155.88 year over year, we deserve better.

Which you don't have to do to advance your character. You could go over to the mission terminal pick up a mission. Click the quick travel to that area (its free) complete the mission which in most cases gives you the reward without having to travel any place else. There you go credits to buy whatever you want. You can even buy pretty power from those people that are selling cosmetic items on the GTN.

Any mechanic that offers a pay-not-to-wait transaction is a monetized game mechanic. It doesn't get any clearer.

What pay not to wait is only available from the CM? Everything can be bought in game for in game currency or given to you for completing quest?

Again you don't have to pay anything more than your sub to advance your character.

The GREAT part about allowing CM items to sold on GTN is that it allows those that don't have same disposable income as other people people to get all the pretty power they want.

Edited by Warrgames

I don't want SWTOR to be like WoW. I would much rather it be like KoToR... Especially since this is essentially the sequel to that game...

I want SWTOR to be better at something than those other MMO's (RPG Elements: Story/Character building) and they already have the formula to do it...they just won't. What they did instead was suck the soul out of the game, set it on a shelf and slam a price tag on it...

Bioware deserves massive criticism for how they have treated this game and people are so happy they even have a Star Wars game they settle for mediocre or terrible with a huge smile...it's sad and honestly its at the core of what's bringing down the quality of games across the industry.

Your points on your gear choices are fine with me...its subjective and I'm glad you are happy with very plain gear appearances.

I would think that if you really don't care about character appearances that you would play any of the other MMOs which have superior PvP/PvEcombat design and performance... Surely not a tab target game w/ no dodge mechanic...probably one of the lowest skill cap combat systems out there for PvP and PvE next to WoW (ironically) which is also terrible.

So you want SWTOR to be a single player game?

There isn't any MMO out there great at anything. Go to any game forums and see the same post. New expansion with changes. Death to the game. You don't listen to the player base. Why is X class so OP and Y class so weak. There not enough content. You need more OP. You need more PVP.

I play SWTOR for the story, no other MMO in my opinion has as great of a story as SWTOR. When I get bored with it, I cancel my sub and uninstall the game. Maybe in 6months or 5yrs I'll come back and see what is going on.

Being realistic there is no way for BW to produce enough story content to make everyone happy. Just the pure amount of man hours involved in creating story content vs what every player wants. Personally I want more tough choice like Trooper story asteroid prison colony A-77 with Jaxo. What I don't want to is to be Austin Powers in SW. Some people what to be Austin Powers in SWTOR and want more of that type of content. I don't ,which was my because complaint about KotFE. Anytime I talked to anyone it was do you want to shag now or shag later.

Edited by Warrgames