An Easy Guide to Primary Stats and Others

BlackRifle

Note that even an imperial agent benefits from Aim. Aim increases the imperial agent's ranged damage, and so does cunning.

So, you'll get an x bonus to Tech and Ranged from cunning, and a y bonus to ranged alone.

Therefore, as an agent, you technically do more damage than a trooper with ranged abilities, as you get a bonus of x + y. The sniper uses mainly ranged, and different specs vary the exact amounts a bit.

In the same way, a trooper's heals, for example, are Tech moves, so raising cunning will help. HOWEVER, since aim increases both cunning AND ranged, aim is the way to go. It's not vital - although it is beneficial to get the "tertiary" stat, which is:

Primary stat: Aim, Tertiary stat: Cunning

Primary stat: Cunning, Tertiary stat: Aim

Primary stat: Strength, Tertiary stat: Willpower

Primary stat: Willpower, Tertiary stat: Strength

So increasing both cunning and aim (Although mostly aim) will yield the maximum damage/healing.

It is also worth noting that:

Ranged and Melee have a 90% chance default to hit, and proc shields, which are placed in the offhand of a tank. Accuracy over 100% doesn't raise armor penetration, it just lowers the defending character's chance to dodge/parry/resist/deflect, or Defense Chance, raised by the stat known as Defense Rating. In the same way, a Defense rating over 100% lowers the attacking character's chance to hit. Even though Force and Tech move's default accuracies are 100%, I still have seen a yellow "Miss" or "Resist", meaning their defense chance is either above 100%, or they were using a cooldown.

In addition, Melee and Ranged take damage modifiers from your main hand weapon (And offhand, if you're a duel wielder), but Force and Tech only benefit from: Your primary Stat, possible a secondary stat, Power, Tech/Force power, and the move you are using. For this reason, Ranged and Melee attacks would be generally more powerful (Which would balance out the fact that they're not 100% accurate by default), because Ranged would get damage from your weapon, the move, power, and stats, and Tech power would only get Power, stats, and the move.

However, this is where Tech and Force Power come in. This is a stat that is essentially Power, but only affects the ability type it specifies. Tech Power and Force Power serve as the "Weapon" - so it doesn't matter whether your lightsaber does 70000000 - 80000000000 damage, if it's a force move, it won't use that calculation, it would use the +180 Force Power.

The only exception some people think is the Imperial Agent, who's vibroknives have a damage on them. However, this would make their Tech moves more powerful than the Tech moves of a Bounty Hunter or the Force moves of an inquisitor and Jedi Knight, because it would have a weapon damage AND force Power, and power, and even stats.

This is not the case, so the vibroknive's damage rating DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING. If it were to actually raise Tech power, then the inquisitor's Focus would have to raise Force Power, and same with shield generators... which would be just... bleh.

Edited by Zunayson

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Silly question, probably, but does absorption have any effect on the bubbles for sages and sorcs. Also, are there any bonus stats that one class or another doesn't need?

No, the sorcerer's bubble is effected by a stat called BonusHealing, which is increased via power (And Force Power, but Power raises the damage and healing of Force, Tech, Ranged, AND melee. Although each class will either have only [Force + Melee] or [Ranged + Tech] moves).

Edited by Zunayson

• 1 month later...
One tab for all numerical values, then one tab per chart.

I made this chart to help me decide which stats to focus on as a level 50.

SW:ToR Melee dps : strength, accuracy, critical, force power, surge, power and their return

There is somme basic facts

Post and googledoc updated with some new values, analysis and 1.2 expertise values

For you information, a full rakata sentinel going with full battlemaster gear in pvp, goes from 24.72% in damage reduction to 43.07% damage reduction against level 50 players. (kinetic and energy)

damage go from 766-919 down to 680-835 to which you add 22.48% which result in 832.8-1022.7

with datacron relic 766-919 down to 692-845 to which you add 21.76% which result in 842.6-1028.9

Edited by Delrusant

• 4 weeks later...

Okay! So I am a little confused. Just say I have a Consular which has a primary stat of willpower. Are you saying that if I find an item that increases my willpower but reduces armor that I should just ignore the armor stat and equip it anyway?

And just say I know someone that has been playing a Jedi Knight and hasn't geared them up by focusing on the strength stat so much, how would you recommend that they change all their gear? Using credits or by using WZ comms?

• 8 months later...
Okay! So I am a little confused. Just say I have a Consular which has a primary stat of willpower. Are you saying that if I find an item that increases my willpower but reduces armor that I should just ignore the armor stat and equip it anyway?

And just say I know someone that has been playing a Jedi Knight and hasn't geared them up by focusing on the strength stat so much, how would you recommend that they change all their gear? Using credits or by using WZ comms?

Looks like I may be responding to a dead thread, but hopefully this will help you. Yes, you should concentrate on increasing your primary stat. If you haven't been doing that, you will not be competitive (pvp) and will have more trouble completing quests (pve). What other stats does the item increase? You didn't mention what advanced class you are pursuing, either - shadow or sage? Either way, as DPS (shadow) or healer (sage) armor should not be a great concern.

As long as you are not trading a higher level item for a lower level one (eg, a resolve mod 5 for a force user mod 4) increasing your primary stat is the action that you should be taking. Armor values should increase with each higher level item mod.

• 3 weeks later...

Holy crap, I am so glad that I found this!

My main is a Jedi Sage, but on all of my Jedi / Sith characters, I had been stacking Willpower. Seemed to make lore sense to me.

In any case, my highest level of these "mistake characters" is a level 20 Marauder. For quest rewards, I usually ignored most of the gear, since it didn't have Willpower! and when drops with WP showed up, I snatched them up.

So, is there any way to fix this? Or should I just delete the character and start over?

Thanks in advance, dudes.

• 10 months later...

In relation to the question of whether to raise the character's primary stat or to raise endurance.

Endurance only improves health, which determines the total ampunt of damage a character can absorb.

However, the primary stat will presumably improve defence ratings (avoiding getting hit in the first place or avoiding damage if hit) and will also improve healing powers.

It is also possible to gear up with various armour types with secondary defensive stats or to use shields, depending on class specialization.

So increasing endurance isn't the only way of increasing the 'survivability of the character?

However, the primary stat will presumably improve defence ratings (avoiding getting hit in the first place or avoiding damage if hit) and will also improve healing powers.

Havimg checked into this, primary stats do not seem to affect defensive stats directly but the basic point I am making is that by investing in the primary attribute you can brimg enemies down more quickly, (and stun or impair them using powers) giving them less chance to harm you (especially a grpup of weaker foes) and you can heal better, so you may not need quite so much health.

And you can mitigate direct damage to health by investing in class appropriate armour and boosting defensive secondary stats.

So endurance is important but I would not invest in it at the expense of my character's primary attribute.

Holy crap, I am so glad that I found this!

My main is a Jedi Sage, but on all of my Jedi / Sith characters, I had been stacking Willpower. Seemed to make lore sense to me.

In any case, my highest level of these "mistake characters" is a level 20 Marauder. For quest rewards, I usually ignored most of the gear, since it didn't have Willpower! and when drops with WP showed up, I snatched them up.

So, is there any way to fix this? Or should I just delete the character and start over?

Thanks in advance, dudes.

Just go on the GTN and buy a bunch of Orange or Cartel Gear that you like the look of and put Strength Armorings and Mods in it. along with Power and Endurance Enhancements.

Edit: I would also like to add something that the OP from ages ago didnt even scratch.

If you find a Datacron with say Cunning if your a Bounty Hunter, go ahead and pick it up! Cunning is a minor boost to tech damage as a Bounty Hunter, and the majority of damage that the BH deals is Tech, for both Merc and PT. But say a Strength Datacron, that's particularly useless because there are no Melee damage abilities for Merc or PT, Rocket Punch is NOT a Melee Damage type ability, it is a Tech Damage Type ability.

Damage types in SWTOR are divided into 4 catagories

Ranged, Melee, Tech, and Force.

All abilities are classified by atleast one of these 4 types. There are also damage Modifiers like Internal and Kinetic, those modifiers do different things depending on what they are. For instance Crushing Darkness is an Internal Force ability, it will pierce some amount of armor due to it being an Internal damage ability.

Edited by Kaos_KidSWTOR

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...