Best class for completely newb healer?

ElevenBfour

Bummer, because based on a lot of comments I have seen, the community regards the classes you just ruled out as the easiest heal specs to learn.

With that restriction in place, your best bet(s) is/are going to be Combat Medic for Commando or Bodyguard for Mercenary. They are pretty "bursty" but are best when healing single targets.

The Scoundrel/Operative heal specs are largely regarded as the hardest to learn and require a lot of prediction and therefore knowledge of what damage is going to be coming out.

I'm average at healing, I think, so the healing mains could probably do this explanation more justice.

Edited by Automnal

• 8 months later...

Well I am a little bit late and you probably already have choosen a healing class, but I'll answer either way in case someone else also reads this thread. The easiest healer class is sorc/sage. They are very mobile (which really can be a life saver) and have a mix of burst heal and heal over time. They are easy because there are only a few abilities you have to keep an eye on (resurgance for the buff on all healing abilities and innervate for force management).

But since you ruled sorcerer out I'd say the 2nd easiest is the merc/mando. They have a very strong burst that can make someone from 10% health go back to full health in a very short time. Energy management can be difficult at times though and it can be a pain to keep multiple targets alive due to the weaker aoe heals (not that they are bad, but they can be lacking at times compared to the other two healers).

Operative/scoundrel can be difficult to use. They make heavy use of heals over time and that means that it requires more micro-management than a sorc/sage or merc/mando. It is also helps if you know certain boss fights (for pve) or are familiar with other classes (for pvp) as Heals over time take a little bit to kick in, which means you have to plan a little bit in advance. But if you know how to use operative/scoundrel you can make your team look invincible as they are really strong healers.

A final personal note though: I prefer to start with heals when I am around level 45-50 as they become somewhat enjoyable to me around these levels. With early healing you lack a lot of tools and that makes it more difficult and to me less enjoyable.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Is it viable to learn healing via playing with a DPS companion, or do you need to group as you level? I want to play healer as I level so I learn all the tools as I go, but am not sure if it's possible to solo play and not have to run group finder or constantly bug guildies.

I'd support leveling as a healer with a DPS or Tank companion. I did that and it helped me get a nice understanding of the abilities. It also allows you freedom to experiment and get a good sense of your combat proficiencies.

Grouping as a healer at lower levels to do non-MM content with PUGs is a hit-or-miss proposition but I did learn from it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all!

I've been playing this on and off for awhile now. A little bit ago I got an actual gaming pc that can run things better and have been diving pretty deep into this game now. Lucky for me my S/O has takin some interest and would like to give this game a try. However she really isn't into killing things all the time. I was wounding if anyone has any tips or ideas for someone looking for a more passive play though. Thank you for your time I hope someone can help me out here :D

-Lord Valnilmore

• 1 year later...

On 1/11/2022 at 12:42 AM, Valnilmore said:

Hello all!

I've been playing this on and off for awhile now. A little bit ago I got an actual gaming pc that can run things better and have been diving pretty deep into this game now. Lucky for me my S/O has takin some interest and would like to give this game a try. However she really isn't into killing things all the time. I was wounding if anyone has any tips or ideas for someone looking for a more passive play though. Thank you for your time I hope someone can help me out here :D

-Lord Valnilmore

I guess my biggest suggestion would be to focus on group play.  Make a new character, probably DPS spec, and level with her.  Killing things as a healer is painfully, painfully slow, even with a companion set to DPS and at max affection.   So group, and let someone else do the killing.   The social aspect will make play more fun in general, and it also solves the drawbacks of trying to level as a healer, which is probably the slowest and most grindy way to level, even more than as a tank.  Plus someone who knows the game mechanics in general can ease a lot of frustrations where things are easy enough if you know them, but hard if you don't.

I find sage/sorc to be a fairly easy heal style, but that's been my main since 1.0, and I picked it based on similarity to druid healing in WoW which was my raiding main there, so I have so much bias on this front that you should probably ask someone else about specifically which healer to pick.   All three work.