Steam Launcher problems

laonglalan

I used to play on the browser's launcher until I went to steam to do my sub. I had the browser's launcher fully installed and made steam recognize the existing downloaded files, until it registered as a steam launcher. For that one day, I had no problems with launching it, got to buy the sub and play. But after a day, the launcher won't go through with it. Steam will launch it and after you log in and click play, it'll die down and exit. I can see this since steam can't recognize it running, nothing in task manager too.

I did a couple troubleshooting like: editing the client_settings where I add/edit a couple files like Fullscreen=False RefreshRate=60 D3dFullscreen=False, but to no avail it didn't work. Can't troubleshoot the launcher with the bitraider solution since there isn't one. Tried antivirus, nope. Deleted the patch folder, downloaded the repair file, even reinstalling it on steam doesn't work.

So far the only solution or workaround I can see is to download both steam and browser launchers, which is a huge pain in the butt. Having to type in my long *** password and security key everytime I try to launch steam's launcher is also a huge pain in the butt.

If anyone can suggest a better workaround for this rather than having two launchers, that would be great.

Edit: I have to stick to having a steam launcher cause swtor won't link my steam acc and swtor acc if I don't have it installed. I have my own preferred way of payment methods too but sadly swtor's payment methods are too rigid and unfamiliar that I will either have make adjustments IRL just for that or buy it off of amazon as a redeem card or smth.

Edited by laonglalan

I'm pretty sure they have changed things since Steam version first came out. The two installs aren't interchangeable. It used to be you just had to copy the files (with non-Bit Raider install) into the Steam folder, but now there are differences between them. For example, Steam downloads patches now, so the Steam launcher doesn't even check for patches. You can still pay for subscription and cartel coins on swtor.com and it will work with Steam version as long as you login to the same account. I still paid for everything on swtor.com for over a year after switching to Steam.

Now, if you have multiple SWTOR accounts, that is problematic with Steam launcher. It doesn't support more than one SWTOR account, so you'd need a separate install from swtor.com for the other accounts. It's pretty clunky, so most people with multiple accounts are sticking with swtor.com launcher.

Edited by ThanderSnB

Have you tried to verify the game files ? https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/0C48-FCBD-DA71-93EB

ensure both steam and swtor are running as administrator and check if any change

also try under a clean boot https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows-da2f9573-6eec-00ad-2f8a-a97a1807f3dd

Edited by OwenBrooks

I'm pretty sure they have changed things since Steam version first came out. The two installs aren't interchangeable. It used to be you just had to copy the files (with non-Bit Raider install) into the Steam folder, but now there are differences between them. For example, Steam downloads patches now, so the Steam launcher doesn't even check for patches. You can still pay for subscription and cartel coins on swtor.com and it will work with Steam version as long as you login to the same account. I still paid for everything on swtor.com for over a year after switching to Steam.

Yeah, it looks like i might have to make do with having two clients before i make changes with my payment methods so I can just play using the swtor.com launcher. I doubt that the steam launcher checks for patches since i made several reinstalls on that one. I just wished that swtor offered more flexible payment methods. Living in Asia made some of swtor's payment methods restrictively limited. Hence, why i resorted to steam.

Have you tried to verify the game files ? https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/0C48-FCBD-DA71-93EB

ensure both steam and swtor are running as administrator and check if any change

also try under a clean boot https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows-da2f9573-6eec-00ad-2f8a-a97a1807f3dd

I did verify the game files on steam, and ran both launchers as admin. I have no problem launching and playing with swtor's launcher. It's just that I think the steam launcher doesn't update the patches, so i guess it doesn't run full through? I'm not entirely sure tho, I'll try the clean boot method and see if anything changes.

But if nothing happens, it still may be on steam, like a bug or problem of some sort. Or then again it may be some system complication.