Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?

Uluain's Avatar


Uluain
02.27.2012 , 05:54 PM | #461
Quote: Originally Posted by Cykun View Post
Because BioWare has put same sex romances in every game they've released with a romance option since Dragon Age and, this may come as a shock to some people, but sometimes gay people like to role play as gay characters in role playing games.
As do, believe it or not, many straight people, men and women, of all ages.

Personally, I have expected this as a matter of course in roleplaying games since 1990 or so. But then, I come to RPGs from the world of old-school, pencil and paper, table-top RPGs and this stuff stopped being questioned around the time White Wolf took roleplaying in a story and character-driven direction rather than number-crunching dungeon-crawls.

Nozybidaj's Avatar


Nozybidaj
02.27.2012 , 06:14 PM | #462
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthEpitaph View Post
This game is advertised as a story-based MMO. The companion interaction with your character is a focal point of these stories; so much so that the companions have a part driving the story forward. The game allows romances between your character and one of your companions - if the companion is the opposite gender from your character.

So the fact is that we are part of a story driven game with a romance option that is available to some people, but not all.
Actually it would be more accurate to say we are not part of the story driven game.

For story being the major pillar of the game, BW doesn't seem to be very bothered by the fact that the pillar is broken for a significant part of the player base.

Suaine's Avatar


Suaine
02.27.2012 , 06:56 PM | #463
Quote: Originally Posted by KCjoker View Post
I wasn't aware this was an issue....bottom line is they either don't think it's important or atleast not important enough for the pr problem. Have to say I agree, the small % of people that want this are likely minimal to the amount that would be upset by it. Bioware has much larger issues with the game that need to be fixed/updated than this IMO.
The small percentage of people that want this is most likely bigger than you think, unless you're just simply surrounded by bigots in which case I'm sorry to hear that. Honestly, how many people do you think would stop playing the game over this? How many do you think would enjoy it?

A company like Bioware comes with its own audience, and a significant portion of that audience are people who want to be able to play same-gender romances, due in no small part to Bioware's backlog of games. So I think it's safe to say that the number of these players is higher in a Bioware-made game than other games of this type. Possibly because if you want to play any significant SGRAs in a PC-RPG, there really is not much in the way of competition, it's either Bioware or bust.

Additionally, there really aren't any hard numbers about men who want to play f/f romance and women who want to play m/m romance because they like it, but let's just assume that they aren't insignificant - the latter are certainly part of a group big enough to support an entire, if relatively new genre of novel and an enormous and diverse online community. Those people, I'm sure, want this option, if perhaps not with the same vehemency as people who are also tied up in it through their identity.

How many players are here for the story? One would think quite a few, since that is the main selling point of the game. How many of those want to play romances as part of their character or even just try it out? A lot of them.

You say there will be large amounts of people (enough to outweigh those invested in the content as I laid out) upset by this, but there's really no substantial evidence for that. How many do you seriously believe would be upset by other people being granted the same opportunities they have? How many people like that do you know?
We have to create the future, or others will do it for us. We have to care for one another, because if we don't, who will?
~ Susan Ivanova, Anla-shok Na, space bisexual

MusedMoose's Avatar


MusedMoose
02.27.2012 , 07:02 PM | #464
Pulling a quote from a ways back since this thread gets so much activity while I'm at work :

Quote: Originally Posted by sparklecat View Post
I'm actually pretty curious how many people play characters who romance a gender they're not personally attracted to; you've got the stereotypical straight guys playing lesbians, of course, but how many of them will play gay men, or straight women, for instance?
Stereotypical or not, I'm a straight guy who plays a lot of female characters, and if there's an option to romance a female while doing so, I'll usually take it. Not because of any "Woohoo, lesbians!" thing - this is the internet; if I want lesbian [adult-oriented entertainment], I can get it for free and without having to level up first. It's because I generally find female characters more interesting than male ones. I tend to care for them more, and if given the option between following a side quest for a male character or a female one, I'll choose the female one. It's just the way my mind works.

To be honest, I started playing my female JK knowing that SGRs weren't yet in the game, and the chemistry between my character and Kira took me by surprise. I've mentioned it before, they've got this Xena/Gabrielle thing going on that's unreal. (Probably helps that my JK is female body type 3.) Having to stop playing the character and leave that story hanging really sucks, and it's a huge part of why I'm hoping that the current companions become SGR-capable.

The weird thing is that if that happens, my male Smuggler could easily end up with Corso, and playing a man who's in a relationship with another man is something I've never done before. It's mostly that my Smuggler is a genuine Good Guy, and as much as I liked having him flirt with Risha at every opportunity, the fact that she disapproves of him doing the right thing instead of asking for more money kind of grates on me. I haven't got Akaavi just yet, but it remains to be seen if she suits my Smuggler better or if he and Corso end up being the most awesome Republic freelancer couple ever.

Uluain's Avatar


Uluain
02.27.2012 , 07:09 PM | #465
Quote: Originally Posted by KCjoker View Post
I wasn't aware this was an issue....bottom line is they either don't think it's important or atleast not important enough for the pr problem.
Stephen Reid, commenting on the announcement last September that same-gender companion romances would be post-launch content in SWTOR seems to suggest BioWare feels otherwise:

Quote:
"First of all, this is definitely not an audience that consists of a 'couple of people' and we're aware of that. We take this decision very seriously."
Quote:
Have to say I agree, the small % of people that want this are likely minimal to the amount that would be upset by it.
That hardly seems to be borne out by the small number of posts to the Q&A thread that question this decision (two to four a week, on average) compared to the number of players who are requesting some sort of status update on same-gender content, which is roughly 10%, this week and last.

You are welcome to your opinion of the relevance of the content to your enjoyment of the game, of course. Others feel otherwise.

Quote:
Bioware has much larger issues with the game that need to be fixed/updated than this IMO.
No one has ever suggested otherwise. Only that it would be helpful to have further clarification of how same-gender content might be implemented.

Please familiarize yourself with the subject of the thread, and what it is addressing, before leaping to unwarranted conclusions.

DarthEpitaph's Avatar


DarthEpitaph
02.27.2012 , 07:31 PM | #466
NM, mods are quicker than I am. Sorry for feeding the troll.

MusedMoose's Avatar


MusedMoose
02.27.2012 , 07:56 PM | #467
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthEpitaph View Post
NM, mods are quicker than I am. Sorry for feeding the troll.
No worries, man; it happens to the best of us. Just remember: flag, don't fight. If someone is deliberately being a [horrifically rude phrase in Huttese], just hit the 'flag' button and report them.

DarthRamette's Avatar


DarthRamette
02.27.2012 , 08:15 PM | #468
What about those people who don't want SGR, will they be able to turn that option off or will they have to deal with it?

emusan's Avatar


emusan
02.27.2012 , 08:21 PM | #469
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthRamette View Post
What about those people who don't want SGR, will they be able to turn that option off or will they have to deal with it?
that is the topic of another thread, located here: linky. Quite a bit to read up on, but the basic gist is that there are some people on either side of the debate, and a few that fall in between XD.

DarthRamette's Avatar


DarthRamette
02.27.2012 , 08:27 PM | #470
Quote: Originally Posted by emusan View Post
that is the topic of another thread, located here: linky. Quite a bit to read up on, but the basic gist is that there are some people on either side of the debate, and a few that fall in between XD.
Cool thank ya much, I will catch up on that when my kid goes to bed.