Game keeps losing connection to server

MistoVahn

Not a new player, but not sure where else to stick this question. Up until last Friday or so, I've been able to play the game with zero technical glitches. Nothing changed, but all of a sudden, I lose connection when I am in the midst of missions/questions (specifically flashpoints, even more specifically the final stage of the Shadow of Revan prelude). I have reinstalled my Wifi driver, closed other programs, tried different networks (all based off of the same router though), and it still happens. I have no problems with internet connectivity in any other apps or on websites, including streaming 4K video. I thought maybe the update or patch or whatever today might have helped, but nope. I am at a loss as to what the problem could be. Thought I would check with the SWTOR hivemind (which WILL find a way) before submitting a ticket and being told to move closer to my router or whatever.

This forum is really more for player communication, interaction, and bug reporting (not the New Player section specifically, but the swtor.com forums in general). There are a number of people on these forums who are willing to help with technical issues, but the official tech support forum is on EA Answers. If you follow the link below and post in the Technical Issues section you will be able to receive official tech support (or, at least, support from people who are able to do more with your account that any non-BW employee on here can).

https://answers.ea.com/t5/STAR-WARS-The-Old-Republic/ct-p/star-wars-the-old-republic-en

Connections dropping intermittently but frequently has been a bit of a feature recently.

Sometimes the issue is an issue with a specific server, while at others it is something within the gateway infrastructure.

Unfortunately, there is not a fat lot you or anyone else here can do to insulate you against those causes of the problem, and it needs one of the EA technicians to replace a dead hamster to get things running again.

The option you can try to make the connection more reliable from your end is an ethernet connection directly to your broadband router - a similar issue occured for me a few months ago out of the blue. Turned out to be a neighbour who had changed his ISP and got a new broadband modem that was powerful enough to microwave popcorn and send a video feed of the event to Mars. Only swtor seemed to be affected, and swtor does seem to be very sensitive to client network drop-outs, so even if everything else is streaming/playing ok, the client side can still be a problem.

Without (yet again) going into a long blurb about internet connections, I'll just point out that there is a whole lot of internet substructure between you and the servers. If there's a glitch in the system anywhere between you and the BW servers, your connection can be affected.

You have different "routes" to different places on the internet - like you have different streets to go down to get to different places in the city - so it's not unusual to have problems with one "route" while the others are just fine.

Usually, these things clear up on their own after a day or two.

When these issues start happening out of the blue, it's best to not immediately jump into reinstalling things, etc, in case you break what aint broken. 😉

Of course, there's always the possibility that it is a problem on your end, but that would affect more of your internet connectivity. It could also be a problem on BW's end, but that would be fixed by them, eventually.

Edited by JediQuaker

I posted this here to see if anyone else was having a similar problem. (I am generally aware of how the internet works.) I mentioned that nothing else is affected just to underscore the fact that I don't think it's my connection. It's also been more than a day or two, and I've not heard any replies from customer support after filing my ticket a few hours after posting this. I don't really play other games, but since Battlefront II is free right now I am going to try that and see if I have a similar problem with that.

Anyway, I've continued to try to play the game. As long as I am not engaging any enemies, my connection is fine. As soon as any of my toons get into battle, the signal drops out. It's the same for high-level enemies and start planet ones. It also happens across servers. This used to happen in the past, the signal dropping out I mean, but it would happen whether I was fighting or not. It also would often lag and then go back to normal, etc. With this problem, I engage some enemies and before I can take them out, the signal lags and I am sent to the server screen. It's very disappointing. I had hoped to try out the new content before my sub expired. Anyway, thanks to all who have replied trying to help.

• 1 month later...
It occasionally happens to me, usually lowering your settings helps. I know it suck to do that, but it helps. Plus it literally depends on the day, some days I can go hours, others 10 to 20 min. I think it has to do with a wifi connection and it being interrupted.

• 4 weeks later...
Last night reboots of Windows, reset of Internet Modem and tests on network showed problem is not my computer or my network here. Checking internet ping also shows the problem seems to be at server, it just locks up and kicks me off line. Call COMCAST to check if there was a problem and the ping they checked and said there is a problem at SWTOR server that is the issue.

To be honest I did have in the past week some issues the ping rocketing to the sky while not allowing me to do anything in the mean time and then after 3-5 min coming back to normal! Im in the UK, internet is working fine on anything else also my ping in game usually stays betwen 20-30 ms so dunno, the last days didn't have any issues so....its weird XD

• 1 year later...

I think it is SWTOR server related, it seems to do this whenever there is a new router, or computer, or any form of identification for my account that is different.

Over the years every time I have made a change to my set-up the SWTOR servers seem to want to drop me whenever they can, there is nothing you can do about it other than stop playing the game for a few months, cancel your subscription and move on to other things for a while.

The fact that they have never fixed this issue after years of so many players complaining about it, is a problem in and of itself.

The fact that they have never fixed this issue after years of so many players complaining about it, is a problem in and of itself.

Indeed, but it isn't *BioWare's* problem. When Internet infrastructure goes south, it's not BioWare's fault, unless the said infrastructure is at the edge of BioWare's networks, but in such a case, it would affect *everybody* playing on that datacentre. (One datacentre is in Virginia, US somewhere, containing Satele Shan and Star Forge, while the other is in Ireland somwhere, containing the three EU servers.)

A classic "tell me you know nothing about the internet without saying you know nothing about the internet". 😂😂