Bracket Changes, and What's Next

ChrisSchmidt

They didn't listen to the community. They implemented changes pre 6.3.1 that once again NO ONE asked for. Didn't communicate those changes. THEY MADE A MISTAKE WITH THE BRACKETS MERGING. THEY DECIDED TO DO THAT WITHOUT ANY INPUT FROM THE COMMUNITY. AND INSTEAD OF SAYING WE AS A DEV TEAM MADE A MISTAKE, WE ARE NOW LISTENING TO THE COMMUNITY. Do you really buy that? If so you are sadly being taken for a ride.

Chill dude)) Don't you think it is obvious they realized it was a mistake if they reversed this change? I'm not asking here for apologies, I want to have fun in PVP and actions speak more than words. They fked up with the lowbie brackets, everyone told them this is stupid, they made it as it was before. No point discussing it anymore, as there are many other problems that aren't fixed that we can point out here (like having 1/3 tank specs viable in ranked lol).

Edited by Voroschuk

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone,

Based on the feedback we received from the community, the PvP brackets were reverted back to what they were prior to 6.3. The brackets are now 1-42, 43-74, and 75. This update was implemented with 6.3.1, but was missed in the patch notes. We are updating the patch notes to reflect this change.

OMG Thank you!!! Thank you for this and listening to the community!

They just so happened to "Miss this in the patch notes"???

They wanted use to find out without saying. They didn't want to state they made a mistake with the PvP brackets and are now chalking it up to player feedback. We all know that is BS

Not everything is a damn conspiracy dude.

They didn't listen to the community. They implemented changes pre 6.3.1 that once again NO ONE asked for. Didn't communicate those changes. THEY MADE A MISTAKE WITH THE BRACKETS MERGING. THEY DECIDED TO DO THAT WITHOUT ANY INPUT FROM THE COMMUNITY. AND INSTEAD OF SAYING WE AS A DEV TEAM MADE A MISTAKE, WE ARE NOW LISTENING TO THE COMMUNITY. Do you really buy that? If so you are sadly being taken for a ride.

Dude, calm down.

They made a change. It wasn't well received. They changed it back again. It's all good...

Edited by Alssaran

Hi everyone,

Based on the feedback we received from the community, the PvP brackets were reverted back to what they were prior to 6.3. The brackets are now 1-42, 43-74, and 75. This update was implemented with 6.3.1, but was missed in the patch notes. We are updating the patch notes to reflect this change.

Good news being communicated is always welcome. But I’m a little disappointed players had to find out this way and it wasn’t in the patch notes or from a named dev (no offence community team).

We’ve still had no direct “official” communication from ChrisS since his original post in this thread or in the last few weeks about his changes to pvp and he hasn’t even been seen in Discord lately. Is he still on the swtor team?

Does this mean you guys are looking at getting rid of or modifying the other silly changes like lockouts in regs and win only requirements to finish missions?

Hi everyone,

You know if you actually played PVP in the game you work on you would have known 2 brackets would not work. You are currently the PVP guy correct? I have no idea who does what in this game since I have recently started playing again. Could you also play use dev cheats to play 3 Vandins in a row and tell us what you think because most of us would prefer not to do that because quite frankly, Vandin is a terrible map. I know there are a vocal minority of people who praise Huttball but I can promise you as someone who has been playing strictly PVP in this game since 2013 that MOST pvpers would actually be fine with no Huttball pops at all. Especially in the current state with most people playing solo or in 2 or 3 man groups with little to no voice com. I also noticed that this leaver lockout for PVP seems fairly unpopular. Personally I am fully geared on 9 toons and have no need of tech frags or whatever so even if I am stuck in a bad map I am just gona deathmatch. I am just gona deathmatch regardless and just maybe pick up an obj along the way because there is just no incentive to Win regs. Nothing I get from winning regs is worth trying to coordinate with 7 other players through ingame chat what obj needs help because I am too busy like I said, doing actual PVP. Fighting other players. Another suggestion I have seen is separate brackets for ranked which I think would be a great idea. If you queue for SR tonite; its gona be the same handful of highly skilled, sweaty and or allegedly wintrading players. Many of these players are gona have top 3's or golds and years of experience. There is very little incentives for new players to jump in this current state so they can get globaled and if they are lucky eck out one of those ugly clone flairs(which brings me to another point. NEW FLAIRS PLEASE. It would take less time to design new ranked flairs each season then it takes to reskin some cartel market junk, seriously. 15 minutes in photoshop.) I'm getting offtrack but I think whoever made that bracket post's point is that there should be ranked for newbs? Or at least a queue that keeps people with low rating together...TLDR good to see that you are paying at least some attention to PVP hence reverting that insidious regs bracket consolidation but much more effort is going to be needed going forward.

Hi everyone,

Since this reversal for 4 days on star forge I've been queuing for lowbie/mid pvp. All I've gotten are really long queue times and arenas against premades during the day. Before this change I would queue for hours and get instant pops and have a variety of 8v8 and 4v4. I talked to a player in my last match that took them 5 days to get an 8v8. I really dislike this change and after today I'll just queue for the galactic seasons daily or the seasons weekly if that's what pops up as an objective. If you would like pics of a 4v2 match from yesterday I would be happy to provide one to the devs.

Since this reversal for 4 days on star forge I've been queuing for lowbie/mid pvp. All I've gotten are really long queue times and arenas against premades during the day. Before this change I would queue for hours and get instant pops and have a variety of 8v8 and 4v4. I talked to a player in my last match that took them 5 days to get an 8v8. I really dislike this change and after today I'll just queue for the galactic seasons daily or the seasons weekly if that's what pops up as an objective. If you would like pics of a 4v2 match from yesterday I would be happy to provide one to the devs.

This is why the made the change to begin with, but a level 10 facing off with a level 74 is not exactly great. Its honestly a lose-lose situation right now. Lowbie pvp slowed down as they sped up leveling speeds, but removing pvp gear and the commendation rewards from it that you could earn at low levels pretty much put the nail into lowbie pvp. I don't even bother queuing for it when I'm leveling alts anymore where as back in the day I'd queue all evening while doing pve quests and leveling because I could stock up on wz comms. Now a days there's just no point and its not as fun as max level pvp.

This is why the made the change to begin with, but a level 10 facing off with a level 74 is not exactly great. Its honestly a lose-lose situation right now. Lowbie pvp slowed down as they sped up leveling speeds, but removing pvp gear and the commendation rewards from it that you could earn at low levels pretty much put the nail into lowbie pvp. I don't even bother queuing for it when I'm leveling alts anymore where as back in the day I'd queue all evening while doing pve quests and leveling because I could stock up on wz comms. Now a days there's just no point and its not as fun as max level pvp.

Then maybe they need to tackle that issue, bring back the mission format the way it used to be, as it is with GSF, queues might start popping more, if people still got the missions, when stuck with bad players, or even if both teams are good, and it comes down to the wire, both teams will still come out with something. Maybe they need to improve the rewards for wins, so that might encourage people to try better. Merging the brackets was a bad idea from the start, what we need is possible ideas for the future.

Then maybe they need to tackle that issue, bring back the mission format the way it used to be, as it is with GSF, queues might start popping more, if people still got the missions, when stuck with bad players, or even if both teams are good, and it comes down to the wire, both teams will still come out with something. Maybe they need to improve the rewards for wins, so that might encourage people to try better. Merging the brackets was a bad idea from the start, what we need is possible ideas for the future.

Exactly this ^^

An incentive system to queue and win via rewards is definitely part of what’s needed to rebuild pvp in lowbies and mids and would probably help at max lvl too.

"if people got the missions, when stuck with bad players, or even if the teams are good, and it comes down to the wire, both teams will still come out with something" Hmmmmm! Glad there are a handful of you all speaking for the rest of us who do not agree. But oh well, I think you called me "back handed" when I disagreed with you the last time....I better be careful what I say here.

"if people got the missions, when stuck with bad players, or even if the teams are good, and it comes down to the wire, both teams will still come out with something" Hmmmmm! Glad there are a handful of you all speaking for the rest of us who do not agree. But oh well, I think you called me "back handed" when I disagreed with you the last time....I better be careful what I say here.

Agree with me, or disagree, I don't really give a carp, but when someone has to resort to start personal attacks or snide remarks, because they've put themselves in a corner, it's not my fault they get themselves in to trouble.

(disclaimer: I don't do lowbie pvp, but if the queues are really a problem...)

Why not just make the brackets 26-74, and then 75?

Should levels 10-25 queue for pvp anyway? Just level up and learn the game more (and acquire more abilities) before you do pvp. It will simplify things and make the experience more enjoyable. With XP level ups, or leveling armor suits (dark vs light) and double xp weekends twice a year, its not like you can't get to level 26 within 2 hours anyway.

Edited by SOULCASTER

Should levels 10-25 queue for pvp anyway? Just level up and learn the game more (and acquire more abilities) before you do pvp. It will simplify things and make the experience more enjoyable. With XP level ups, or leveling armor suits (dark vs light) and double xp weekends twice a year, its not like you can't get to level 26 within 2 hours anyway.

I would suggest that 60(?)-74 should be its own bracket. I think by the time you're 60 or 61(?) you have access to heroic the first heroic tier utility. That means by that point, you have access to essentially all of the mobility, escape, closer, and CC abilities/perks in the game (with minor exceptions like a 2nd rocket out at 75).

The biggest problem I've encountered playing between 10-50 is access to these movement and CC abilities. Even at 50, you're missing a very valuable skill tree point (the equivalent of transcendence breaking roots and being 30% faster for a sent).

iunno. It feels to me that once I hit the 60s, I was was on par with anyone in their 70s, but below 60, it's just like...yeah. I can be effective-ish. I'm not shedding focus or escaping burst in an arena though.

I also think there's a bottleneck of players in the 60s-70s, so it would survive just fine on its own. but that's ye ole anecdotal experience.

I would suggest that 60(?)-74 should be its own bracket. I think by the time you're 60 or 61(?) you have access to heroic the first heroic tier utility. That means by that point, you have access to essentially all of the mobility, escape, closer, and CC abilities/perks in the game (with minor exceptions like a 2nd rocket out at 75).

The biggest problem I've encountered playing between 10-50 is access to these movement and CC abilities. Even at 50, you're missing a very valuable skill tree point (the equivalent of transcendence breaking roots and being 30% faster for a sent).

iunno. It feels to me that once I hit the 60s, I was was on par with anyone in their 70s, but below 60, it's just like...yeah. I can be effective-ish. I'm not shedding focus or escaping burst in an arena though.

I also think there's a bottleneck of players in the 60s-70s, so it would survive just fine on its own. but that's ye ole anecdotal experience.

I get the abilities and competitiveness aspect but I don't think lowbie pvp probably should be designed too much around that fairness or competitiveness. It's lowbies. So I would think making it 1 bracket (like 26-74) would make the queues pop more. But yeah again, I don't bother with that so I don't know.

Hi everyone,

good, we're back at zero.

low/mid is still horribly balanced.

Edited by meddani

What they should do is something similar to FFXIV (don't get me wrong, XIV's pvp is bad, but certain concepts/ideas are really good.)

In XIV you have a pvp zone called wolves den where it changes your character sheet to a pvp template, has the dueling area, training dummies, the ranked leaderboards, npc's to buy cosmetic items from pvp tokens etc....

SWTOR could do something similar where at level 10 you unlock this area and it boosts you to 75. Here you can set up your hotbar and choose your utilities for pvp, have a training dummy to practice on, duel people etc...and also with this system just completely get rid of lowbie pvp. When you queue you'll be queued into the lvl 75 queue with your pvp template. It would also be nice to have pvp gear again and at level 10 you get a free set of recruit gear and then have a tier 1 and tier 2 pvp gear you can earn from pvp comms.

• 4 months later...
rofl - we'll find out soon enough if alrik fassbender still has a sub. we'll get a quote from niche or foucalt about systems of power and dominance masquerading as mechanisms of justice or freedom.

I can deliver that :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Male_warrior_hypothesis

And, not unimportant, too : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birka_female_Viking_warrior