Unpopular opinion, net is not broken.

xXSchmedlyXx

Before I start I have to get it out of the way. Yes I play merc, no I do not main merc. I am an operative main. Net is the bane of my existence in pvp. I can't roll, and I can't stealth. But I do not have a problem with net. It's there for a reason. And it's not broken. Net's can carry ranked matches, a good net can win an unwinnable game. Please note the words "good net." A ****** net does nothing. Using your net properly requires skill. It's not just, pop net and the dude dies. You have to use it carefully. And you have to pay attention to when the guy you're going breaks, in order to net them at that moment. It takes a good amount of skill. And it's not busted

And no, being netted does not mean that an op, or a sin, or a mara, or a sorc, or a slinger, is just dead. I see people complaining that they break net, and immediately stealth, and net pulls them out of stealth. Simple solution. Don't immediately stealth. You have to face tank the net for as long as possible. and only if you absolutely have to, do you use your breaker and stealth. The only reason you are getting consistently globaled by a net, is because you just don't know how to counter it properly.

Leave net in the game.

Sincerely, Operative Main

i am a merc main, have been since beta, and i realize net is hated, but i assure you no more than ranged classes hate spammable low slash or a bazillion gap closers.

The thing is this, every mongoose has to have its snake, every class needs a counter, net, low slash, vanish, shouts, all that stuff classes have outside the common mez/stuns we all share... these are all part of that equation.

Learning to counter these, and the mechanics of this, is where the discussion should be as i assure you they can be. Yeah, sometimes you get caught out of position or whatever and there is little you can do... trust me we all have those moments.

There are people who get it, i see them every night, when i start glowing they do the right things and it makes it a tough fight, but an enjoyable one.

So i fully agree, net is not broken, unless you wish to throw a bunch of other abilities onto that fire.

Net is not a problem.

It is a problem in ranked when you get two or more Mercs/Commando. Then yes Net is a problem.

But how much have it been said that class stacking is a problem. More so when certain classes have some special abilities.

Edited by limenutpen

Before I start I have to get it out of the way. Yes I play merc, no I do not main merc. I am an operative main.

Honest, but also not surprising. Mercs obviously tend towards feeling net is fine, and operatives (aside from being the singlemost overpowered pvp class for a very long time) have a decent chance compared to certain other classes to survive a net. Heck, against an operative it can almost be considered a fair counter.

I hate being electro netted; but when playing a shadow (probably my main currently) that is what resilience is for. pop resilience; then combat stealth if necessary.

there are so many operatives running around; I think most mercs are hardwired to save their net for the Ops. I don't get it all that often.

for the most part I think electro net is fair ability; and it rarely is the cause of me taking death in PVP. usually only causes my defeat if I am caught in low health without my DCDs.

for the most part I think electro net is fair ability; and it rarely is the cause of me taking death in PVP. usually only causes my defeat if I am caught in low health without my DCDs.

so weird to read this b/c the two classes I find net most effective against are sorcs and sins. whereas ops can break more liberally and benefit from video lag with the frequency of their roll resist.

iunno. that's just my experience.

• 2 weeks later...
Before I start I have to get it out of the way. Yes I play merc, no I do not main merc. I am an operative main. Net is the bane of my existence in pvp. I can't roll, and I can't stealth. But I do not have a problem with net. It's there for a reason. And it's not broken. Net's can carry ranked matches, a good net can win an unwinnable game. Please note the words "good net." A ****** net does nothing. Using your net properly requires skill. It's not just, pop net and the dude dies. You have to use it carefully. And you have to pay attention to when the guy you're going breaks, in order to net them at that moment. It takes a good amount of skill. And it's not busted

And no, being netted does not mean that an op, or a sin, or a mara, or a sorc, or a slinger, is just dead. I see people complaining that they break net, and immediately stealth, and net pulls them out of stealth. Simple solution. Don't immediately stealth. You have to face tank the net for as long as possible. and only if you absolutely have to, do you use your breaker and stealth. The only reason you are getting consistently globaled by a net, is because you just don't know how to counter it properly.

Leave net in the game.

Sincerely, Operative Main

It depends what class you are fighting operatives for example have counterlay to net , not mutch but some,

even sin has shroud , sorc flatout can't use there defensive jugg can't play los to survive anymore

net is a problem because its fair against some and game braking against others one single skill should not decide the outcome of a game especialy when it is not even the hardest skill to use properly,

should net be removed ? no should it punish certain classes as hard as it does now ? no, imo change the interaction for it against certain classes eg sorc bubble, no clue how you'd fix the interaction with jugg

but lets be real bioware can't stand both of em so

Net itself isn't broken. Hinder overall is broken when chained. For many classes there is no counter to being chain netted or to a lesser extent gored. Simple solution: any time a player is hindered, grant them a buff that prevents being hindered for the length of the cooldown of the ability that hindered them. This won't affect 1v1s at all, but prevents teams of multiple mercs from using the ability on the same target.

Net itself isn't broken. Hinder overall is broken when chained. For many classes there is no counter to being chain netted or to a lesser extent gored. Simple solution: any time a player is hindered, grant them a buff that prevents being hindered for the length of the cooldown of the ability that hindered them. This won't affect 1v1s at all, but prevents teams of multiple mercs from using the ability on the same target.

I main merc and I agree 100%. They should do the same to slow and roots.

• 1 month later...

Your post basically admits its broken.

The solution to not being hit out of stealth by net after using CC BREAKER and stealth out isn't to hold it out and face tank as you suggest. The solution is for bioware to fix the problem that cc break + stealth should protect you and not hit you out of stealth. The fact that CC break doesn't truly break the net as it its knocks you out of stealth THATS THE BROKEN BIT.

Your post basically admits its broken.

The solution to not being hit out of stealth by net after using CC BREAKER and stealth out isn't to hold it out and face tank as you suggest. The solution is for bioware to fix the problem that cc break + stealth should protect you and not hit you out of stealth. The fact that CC break doesn't truly break the net as it its knocks you out of stealth THATS THE BROKEN BIT.

I mean, DOTs can pull you out of stealth. Being invisible isn’t a guaranteed escape from everything. And you’re right about the solution not being to try to face tank a Merc. Instead, use los, rely on teammates, and save your DCDs as much as you can. I’ve survived net multiple times on both Sin and Op because I played smart. Just because you can’t just press one button to get out of an ability doesn’t make it broken. There needs to be a hard punish for sloppy play.

Edited by Enticy