Why is there a limit on number of active missions?

Ulrah

Clarification: active Crew Skill missions (limit 8) or active missions for the character that appear in the mission tracker? (limit 25)

Good question... I was referring to the active missions for character in mission tracker.

The limit (25) seems arbitrary to me. There obviously isn't a technical limitation on tracking objective completions since they added tons of them that are always active with conquest. There is potentially a performance issue with the path-finding (highlighting flight points etc. to get to objectives), but this could be addressed with a limit on tracked missions instead of blocking accepting new missions entirely once limit is reached.

Well, you have to remember that bonus missions (lower case so as not to be confused with the Planetary Bonus Series missions) also count towards that 25 mission limit., so the number can start adding up.

For an example; Say you have a Planetary Mission (1), with bonus mission (2); a class mission (3), with bonus mission (4), and then you've picked up some Exploration missions, let's say three of them for math's sake (7), plus you have some Heroics and a Wrapper for them, say four Heroics (12), with bonuses on two of them (14), maybe a Companion mission (15), then you might have the Macrobinocular quest stuck open like so many do (16)...

For an example; Say you have a Planetary Mission (1), with bonus mission (2); a class mission (3), with bonus mission (4), and then you've picked up some Exploration missions, let's say three of them for math's sake (7), plus you have some Heroics and a Wrapper for them, say four Heroics (12), with bonuses on two of them (14), maybe a Companion mission (15), then you might have the Macrobinocular quest stuck open like so many do (16)...

Well then, say you actually complete some missions rather than just collect them. 🙂

Well then, say you actually complete some missions rather than just collect them. 🙂

Why? Because arbitrary limit?

I can think of good reasons we have limited cargo space. It makes sense in terms of RP (I can't carry infinite stuff). Also, inventory items are often infinite supply (at least if given infinite time).

There is an inherent limit on the number of active missions one can have (even if given infinite time). I believe the arbitrary forced limit (25) only serves the purpose of annoyance.

Here’s the thing: for those of us who actively do conquest, there are a lot of points to be gained from heroic missions. Sometimes, we pre-load next week’s conquest by not turning in completed missions until after conquest rolls over. I don’t want to have to continuously go through a cycle of turning in missions/traveling back and forth from fleet just because of an arbitrary limit. Frankly, if there were a good reason for it, I’d be less bothered.

Curious as to why a player would need/have that many at once.

I hit that limit daily.

Class missions, heroics, flashpoints, exploration missions, etc pile up quickly. Then, there's star fortress and other missions.

I run heroics daily on all characters to accumulate credits and to increase my in-game funds. I do about 20 - 25 Heroics daily if possible.

Personally, I think they should increase the cap to 40 total missions in the mission log.

but then again, these people (devs) give us the ability to collect around 40+ companions and only allow us to place 20 - 25 of them in our strongholds... But, that's an entirely different discussion, yet the same discussion isn't it.

I hit that limit daily.

Class missions, heroics, flashpoints, exploration missions, etc pile up quickly. Then, there's star fortress and other missions.

I run heroics daily on all characters to accumulate credits and to increase my in-game funds. I do about 20 - 25 Heroics daily if possible.

Personally, I think they should increase the cap to 40 total missions in the mission log.

but then again, these people (devs) give us the ability to collect around 40+ companions and only allow us to place 20 - 25 of them in our strongholds... But, that's an entirely different discussion, yet the same discussion isn't it.

But all that doesn't answer "why" you keep so many missions in your log, without doing them. You say you keep hitting the limit 'daily', but isn't that simply because you have so many incomplete missions in your log? How many of those missions could simply be abandoned and picked up again when you're actually willing to do them?

P.s Not that I'm against increasing the size of the quest log, but....

Here’s the thing: for those of us who actively do conquest, there are a lot of points to be gained from heroic missions. Sometimes, we pre-load next week’s conquest by not turning in completed missions until after conquest rolls over. I don’t want to have to continuously go through a cycle of turning in missions/traveling back and forth from fleet just because of an arbitrary limit. Frankly, if there were a good reason for it, I’d be less bothered.

this sounds like a reason to keep the limit, no? for the same reason they changed the way the timer works for vendor refunds on tech frags...hoarding CQ points like that is viewed similarly to hoarding tech frags on "sleeper alts."

edit: I don't personally care, btw. but it sounds like a similar situation, and BW curtailed it.

Edited by CheesyEZ

Well, you have to remember that bonus missions (lower case so as not to be confused with the Planetary Bonus Series missions) also count towards that 25 mission limit., so the number can start adding up.

25 is an arbitrary number set during the game's launch. 10 years ago. I think its time to expand that mission tracker number to keep up with the times.

class mission, content story mission stuck in log permanently

class mission, content story mission stuck in log permanently. usually there's two of them

Gotta have my star fighter weekly

gotta have my star fighter daily

gotta have my unranked warzone weekly

gotta have my unranked warzone daily

gotta have my ranked solo weekly

gotta have my ranked solo daily

gotta have my ranked team weekly

gotta have my ranked team daily

gotta have my 8 medals from ossus weekly challenge

gotta have veteran flashpoint weekly

gotta have master mode flashpoint weekly

gotta have story uprising weekly

gotta have veteran uprising weekly

weekly searching for allies. never seems to work

achievement aratech ice

achievement aratech coral

achievement aratech nightscythe

achievement aratech fire

weekly for my operation

weely for x

weekly for that

gee how many mission tracker slots do I have left to do some actual content

New World doesnt seem to have a limit on their quest log. but its filed into categories

Edited by Falensawino

But all that doesn't answer "why" you keep so many missions in your log, without doing them. ...

Many people have stated in this thread that they regularly run out of room for more missions. If you don't, obviously they play differently than you.

There are all sorts of weekly missions etc. that either can't be completed in one day or will result in higher rewards if spread out over multiple days. They add up. Then you have even more from events/etc. like the current one (Feast of Prosperity), where you are likely holding 5 weeklies there for at least a few days.

I often like to grab a single heroic from each planet and burn through them in one outing (that way each heroic I do completes a heroic mission daily conquest objective for each of those planets). Retaining the ability to do this without needing to go to heroic mission terminal multiple times, means 40%+ of my mission count is reserved even when I don't have those missions active.

But all of that above is irrelevant if this is indeed an arbitrary rule. That's why I asked for the justification of this limit as the title of this thread. The question should not be "How do you run out of room?" (as you keep asking for some reason), but "Why is there a limit, given that it annoys many players?". And if there is a good reason to have a limit, could it be higher than 25? A lot of missions have been added to this game over the years... I think the mission limit has never been increased.

I could be wrong on this but I think the 25 mission limit is mostly based on the tech limits. I do remember that a number of years ago this question came up. I could swear that the official answer was that they limited it to 25 for tech/performance reasons. If that is the case, then personally I think that the 25 mission limit was an ‘arbitrary’ limit only in them having to choose how many missions we could have active at once.

Hey everyone,

We have seen a few requests since the launch of Rise of the Hutt Cartel for the Mission Log size to be increased above 25 and I wanted to explain why that limit is currently in place. The Mission Log, just like all other components of the game, directly affects a player's performance in game. The goal in limiting the log to only 25 missions is to help mitigate potential area server hitches and ability lag they may encounter. Simply put, players could see decreased game performance with a Mission Log larger than 25.

Hopefully that helps explain a bit why the limit is what it is. There are currently no plans to change that limit but it is something we will continue to monitor.

Thanks!

-eric

This is why the limit will most likely never be increased......

Some time after this post was made BW tested increasing the Mission Limit and it caused a major increase in lag. Everybody already complains about the amount of lag in the game as it is now, and you want them to add MORE?

This post was from 2013. People have been complaining about the mission limit since 2012. It would seem that BW is serious about NOT increasing the Mission Limit.

• 3 weeks later...

Since I haven't had the opportunity to play with the game's code, I'll take your word...

But I would also like to point out that, at least from the user perspective, conquest objectives seem very similar to missions - and we have all been given a bunch of those that are always active. I have a hard time believing this is a technical limitation rather than a technical challenge.

Edited by Ulrah