Returning player on Wifi 2G connection

The-Eradicator

The "2G" connection is only between you and your router. If you are specifically having wireless issues it would be a matter of your computer's or router's settings (or glitches).

Beyond that, there's many reasons for connection problems. Most often it's just a bad hub somewhere between you and the BW servers.

I can't connect to a 5G network and I'm experiencing disconnection issues. Is there anyway to keep connected to the server on a 2G Wifi connection?

5G / 2G are mobile / cellular connections, and aren't WiFi at all(1).

2G in particular (more properly "GPRS") has a horrible maximum data rate (no more than about 100Kbits/sec == 12 Kbytes/sec), which could easily be reason that you get disconnected.

And no, there's more or less nothing you can do unless you can wheedle access by actual WiFi from a neighbour, or maybe find a spot in the room where the cellular device can sustain a better signal, maybe getting 3G to work.

(1) "WiFi" doesn't mean "wireless Internet access". It is a local-area network technology that is commonly used to give e.g. smartphones and tablets, but also laptops(2), access to the Internet without using cellular data allowances. The various "xG" cellular technologies (2G, 3G, HSPA, LTE, etc.) are *wireless*, but they aren't *WiFi*.

(2) I recently had to replace the motherboard in my main desktop(3) PC. The new one has a WiFi interface.

(3) So-called because it sits on the floor under my desk.

5G / 2G are mobile / cellular connections, and aren't WiFi at all.

My router has the option for "5G". But I suspect that 5G WiFi is not the same as 5G cellphone.

(I can connect to the 5G WiFi with this tablet (MS Surface), but it doesn't seem to make much difference.)

Edited by JediQuaker

Will using my Android phone connection via USB Tethering and hotspot work better instead?

Depends on how good your cellular signal is. If your WiFi reception is horrible (hinted strongly by the inability to use 5GHz and the apparently poor signal in 2.4GHz), then yes, it probably will be better. Watch out for data charges on your cell plan, though, since caps tend to be lower on cell plans than fixed-line plans. (Caps on fixed-line plans are a form of modern-day barbarism, by the way.)

Or move your PC and/or your router so there aren't as many walls between the two of them. (Needless to say, if it's your neighbour's router, investigate getting your own.)

Or get some CPL gear to link your router to your PC via your house wiring.

EDIT: Ugh. Languages. CPL is an abbreviation of the French-language name for high-frequency Power-line Communications, as defined by the HomePlug Alliance.

Edited by SteveTheCynic