Why are Random names unavailable?

Screaming_Ziva

When you click random name when creating a character, is is really that difficult for the game to check if the name is taken before it is displayed? I've now gone through five random names I liked that are unavailable.

Yes, it would be nice if the random name generator checked for availability first. Not an absolute necessity, but nice.

It isn't really a random name... It's a random pick from a surprisingly short list of pre-generated names.

At this point, it's a fairly useless feature because it's almost a certainty that every name on the list is in use.

What I like to do is cycle through it until I find something that looks interesting and then change the spelling a little bit.

They're usually taken in WoW too. I wouldn't hold it against BioWare.

Hell, I feel like in WoW. Blizzard had a list of names that it went through. But than it also went through names that people had used for toons. Which made the problem worse.

They're usually taken in WoW too. I wouldn't hold it against BioWare.

At some point they changed that game to do a server check each time you click random, so no that's no longer true.

There'd be a delay (probably large) if they were to use that tech in this game.

You'd also end up with names you'd likely NEVER (instead of rarely) use :p

Edited by hadoken

I agree, it would certainly improve the feature. As it is it's annoying enough to cycle through the names to find something good, adding that it could already be taken just makes it worse. Thankfully I don't find myself using the random button too often.

You base this on...what knowledge?

At some point they changed that game to do a server check each time you click random, so no that's no longer true.

You'd also end up with names you'd likely NEVER (instead of rarely) use :p

That's cool news, I haven't actually tested it in some time. I usually have a name to use unless I'm just trying to preview items/sets on a race/class/gender I don't have.

It would be reasonable to update the available list just once when you start the char creation... it could easily load in the background while you are working on the looks. Then it would not update any more until you start the char creation again. To prevent choosing names, that were taken in the meantime, there would still be the same check that is already in place now.

There would be no visible delay with that method.

It would be reasonable to update the available list just once when you start the char creation... it could easily load in the background while you are working on the looks. Then it would not update any more until you start the char creation again. To prevent choosing names, that were taken in the meantime, there would still be the same check that is already in place now.

There would be no visible delay with that method.

Yea I'm sure there are ways around it, I was just using the WOW example where it pings each time (with a very small delay) and how that wouldn't work very well given the behavior I've seen of the client we have here.

So conjecture based on completely unrelated functionality. Got it.

Yes because searching for a name is so different from...searching for a name.

Look I get you have a stick up your *** but there's no reason to try to beat me down with it too. This is not the thread you're looking for.

Look I get you have a stick up your *** but there's no reason to try to beat me down with it too. This is not the thread you're looking for.

I agree with all your points.

I'm not sure if it has to do with the pre-alpha HeroEngine we're using for this game, but running a /who or opening a Friends List I have noticed that "lag" moment.

You've profiled the code then. You know exactly where the slowdown is and that that's the same process required to check for name availability? How long do you have to pause while waiting to see if the name you've chosen is taken now?

If you want to make a claim feel free to back it up with more than "some other thing is kind of slow".

It isn't really a random name... It's a random pick from a surprisingly short list of pre-generated names.

At this point, it's a fairly useless feature because it's almost a certainty that every name on the list is in use.

What I like to do is cycle through it until I find something that looks interesting and then change the spelling a little bit.

^This

• 8 years later...