Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

If they even give us the old companions. We don't know yet, but here's to hoping that they do. Because seriously, if I ever play a female Smuggler, I'm not sure I could live without doing very naughty things to Akaavi.

Wait.

Wait.

WAIT.

... Akaavi is not a man? :eek: My Smuggler just hit Balmorra, and hasn't left the cantina since so I can romance Risha (hopefully) once SGRA's get announced.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I completely agree with same gender romance options but completely and totally disagree with many of the stereotypes in this list.

Yes to SGRA!

No to this ridiculous list.

I fail to see what stereotypes you are referring to. As I said:

Sometimes you really can't tell if what a person's preference is by looking at them or hearing them talk for five minutes. Sometimes, it takes actually getting to know a person. Not that I know these characters very well...but you get the idea.

Take note of what I said:

As I said before, what I have posted is speculation and I even make mention, in some of my explanations (which should be in all explanations, but I didn't feel like repeating myself), that companion story line/personalities could change as the character experiences growth.

So, if there are stereotypes in the list I created, I greatly apologize. That was not intentional. I was just making note of some of the companions' personalities. That being said, the only one I could see as a possible stereotype is what I said about Elara Dorne:

Straight. Personally, I think she's too conservative for anything else,as of right now anyway.

Perhaps 'conservative' was the wrong word to use. But, she does seem very much into regulation. That being said, I have a male Trooper and plan on going through the romance story arch with Elara just to see how she reacts to it. Also, it will be interesting to see how she will react to a S/S relationship, if BW decides to make her Bi or even a Lesbian. Will she struggle with it or will she fully accept it right from the start?

Note: Edited for clarification and to avoid any off topic discussion, which I probably failed at anyway. :p

Edited by LadyNightArrow

In a suggestion I posted some time ago, long lost and ignored, I proposed something I thought would work more perfectly than any toggle option in that it'd be realistic, and also progressively drive results.

I'd like to see the romance system use the player's feedback to drive the progression. It's simple, really--you talk to a person, you choose to be flirtatious if the option appears, and that "input" indicates to the game that your player is perhaps more inclined to be flirtatious with a guy or a gal or both. This would trigger tthe game to offer increased flirt options with the companion or gender(s) of NPC that you elect to flirt with.

If you avoid flirting with a gender of NPC or with a companion 2 or 3 times, then that'd be a pretty good indication that, given a choice, you'd prefer not to flirt in that situation, and those options become less frequent. You might have a flirt option pop up when you meet a new companion, and if you avoid again, then back to not showing flirt. This might be resettable, just in case players manage to mess up and lock themselves out of flirt.

The advantage of such a system:

~You don't get an awkward system that doesn't know whether to continue to have flirting or not.

~Your character can become increasingly or decreasingly flirtatious rather than all or nothing

~BW can continue to grow flirting options out logically as they expand the game

~If you want to play around with gender in romance, start doing so and it magically expands

~If you don't, then avoid options you don't want and they go away

~...profit!

In theory that's a cool idea.

In practice I'll turn down a proposition from a co-worker or accomplice (because I'm a professional, damn it) and end up being "assigned" a sexual orientation based on that.

Wait.

Wait.

WAIT.

... Akaavi is not a man? :eek: My Smuggler just hit Balmorra, and hasn't left the cantina since so I can romance Risha (hopefully) once SGRA's get announced.

Aww, without spoiling you, I basically went OH WOW when I met her. My gay smuggler didn't really care but me but let me tell you, that's one damn fine voice actress.

Different. Though Kira has her own charms, of course. Both of those, Corso, Aric Jorgan and Vette and Mako are on my list of companions I absolutely want for SGR.

I can see everyone you listed except Aric as a same gender option. He seems way too uptight. I just don't get that vibe from his character. In fact, I have a hard time seeing his hetero relationship actions. Honestly, I'd rather have Vik or Forex, ha ha! Elara I could see going either way though. She is all protocol but it comes off differently to me. I guess it's all opinion really.

I think I need to level a trooper just to find out who these people are. :)

Then again, a straight-up military type is the kind of character I am least able to conceptualize without same-gender romance of some sort, so except to the extent that I can imagine my own, it takes a bit of getting into.

Then again, any class has got to be less of a challenge than Smuggler, where the ladies just can't take a hint. :rolleyes:

I am still curious what other option there is if we are at a toggle vs. Full implementation impasse.

It's not an impasse.

See, the way these conversations work in SWTOR, you simply do not select the option earmarked as [Flirt] for content you don't want to see. Example:

NPC: Help me, Hero! You're my only hope!

1. I'll save you!

2. Let me take your mind off your troubles... [Flirt]

3. Get lost. [Refuse mission]

So if you don't want to be flirting with NPC, you can still select option 1 or option 3 without opening up content you don't want to see. This is the option everybody already playing the game already has in regards to the content that is already in... And no one ever had a problem with it until it came to the eventual inclusion of same-gender content.

So I don't think that if it is the way all the other content is handled already it is reasonable to expect that same-gender content would be treated differently.

Nobody is making you play this game. It is plainly rated "T" by the ESRB for, among other things, sexual themes. If you cannot tolerate the inclusion of sexual themes in this game, it may be the wrong game for you.

Edited by Sireene
quote of deleted post

I am still curious what other option there is if we are at a toggle vs. Full implementation impasse.

Quite a few people, including myself, have explained what's offensive about a toggle, but I'll try again in fewer words:

There is a lot of behavior in the game, some of it sexual, that is extremely morally reprehensible from assorted viewpoints. There is no toggle for any of it.

The "toggle" camp is implying that same sex relationships are more upsetting than, for instance, a group of war-widows being forced to trade sexual favors for vital supplies like food and water.

That's offensive.

I can see everyone you listed except Aric as a same gender option. He seems way too uptight. I just don't get that vibe from his character. In fact, I have a hard time seeing his hetero relationship actions. Honestly, I'd rather have Vik or Forex, ha ha! Elara I could see going either way though. She is all protocol but it comes off differently to me. I guess it's all opinion really.

Heh, my Trooper is basically also this uptight, shy kid who tries to do good because that's the right thing. Their courtship would be the most awkward, adorkable thing in history. I have an active imagination XD

@Uluain The issue I have with simply having SS flirting as an option is that it is forcing me to contend with something I am offended by. Whether or not I choose the SS flirt options, they are in front of me. And in front of my kids. That's why I favor the two toggle approach. That way those that want relationships at all get them, in whatever flavor they prefer, and those who don't desire that can of worms in their game don't have to have it.

@Tamaranis My idea is two toggles, one for 'Allow Opposite Gender Relationships' and one for 'Allow Same Gender Relationships.' If both are off, no relationships. If both are on, either category relationships. If only one is on, only that category of relationship is available.

The reason I keep reposting this same idea is that people keep saying that toggling off Same Sex relationships is discriminatory, and so it shouldn't be implemented. My idea treats all categories equally. It allows the player to define their preference per character.

Edited by Paralassa
content

Heh, my Trooper is basically also this uptight, shy kid who tries to do good because that's the right thing. Their courtship would be the most awkward, adorkable thing in history. I have an active imagination XD

Lol that would be interesting and awkward. Things like that make me physically uncomfortable to watch, but it's still fun to watch them all the same. Mine is more... I dunno. She does the right thing most of the time, but sometimes feels the "wrong" thing is actually right so it's weird to be with Aric. I think I also need to customize him a bit because his physical appeal is totally lacking. Vik is a bloody monster but I find him more appealing and a better match for my character since she doesn't mind bending rules or busting heads now and then. =)

I'm still waiting/hoping for the romance with Balkar to take off. Seriously, if I accidentally did something that keeps me from woohoo'ing with him I might cry in real life... just a little. Also I felt afraid after flirting with Aric a few times because then he wanted to go further and there was no "don't touch me" option. *gonk* Maybe I just wanted to lead you on Cat Man! *cries in the corner*

EDIT: As for the topic at hand, I was really surprised there are no same gender relations available. Some of the companions really strike me as such. It'd be nice to see it implemented, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it either. I could see why some want the toggle option but the games have ratings for a reason. If the "romance" in these games is too fierce for you or your kids, may you never play Sims 2 or 3, lol.

Edited by SimplyKupo

To that point, where is the Q&A answers we were supposed to get? I think we will find any answers (or lack there of if it so happens) to be rather enlightening on what to expect. Personally if they don't have an ETA for this within the next billing cycle I don't see any reason to come here anymore. Edited by Paralassa
content

To that point, where is the Q&A answers we were supposed to get? I think we will find any answers (or lack there of if it so happens) to be rather enlightening on what to expect. Personally if they don't have an ETA for this within the next billing cycle I don't see any reason to come here anymore.

The Q&A should be up soon - I assume they are basically fiddling with it until the end of the work day, so it may yet be another hour or so. Those crazy kids, who really wants to go home before 7 on a Friday anyway? ;)

But in all seriousness, between server population, PvP balance and hood toggle questions, the SGRA were consistently asked for in that thread (and yes, I did read all 171 pages of it) and we really should at least get a ballpark figure. I don't need to know every detail, but it would be nice to know if this is something I can expect soon or next year and at least whether it will be new content only or include what I most want, the old companions. I have spending to plan.

But in all seriousness, between server population, PvP balance and hood toggle questions, the SGRA were consistently asked for in that thread (and yes, I did read all 171 pages of it) and we really should at least get a ballpark figure.

Aye, I'd like an answer on the hood toggle as well. :p Other popular ones were character customization (this game desperately needs an appearance tab) and the legacy system. PvP balance is something that will only happen with tweaks over time, there is no way to have some grand one time fix for it, hope they don't waste an answer on that.

I agree with ya Shaynee. As sensitive a subject as that is it would be nice to have more control over such content, especially when your children are playing.

It doesn't affect me personally because I would ignore such dialogue options and play through as though it wasn't even there.

I agree with ya Shaynee. As sensitive a subject as that is it would be nice to have more control over such content, especially when your children are playing.

It doesn't affect me personally because I would ignore such dialogue options and play through as though it wasn't even there.

If you or your children aren't mature enough to see a same gender romance option on the dialogue wheel and continue playing without being personally offended, then you/they certainly aren't mature enough to read the General Channel, group with other people, or be confronted with any number of the Dark Side dialogue options, as all of those will contain things far more offensive than two men/woman wanting to flirt with each other.

I'd suggest you stop letting your child play the game all together if they are that sensitive.

Edited by Nozybidaj

Personally, I think the ideal "toggle" would be something really simple, during chargen (or something you can set immediately after you get into the game, via little choice window that could pop up, using the little three-choice wheel.

Is your character:

A) Straight

B) Lesbian/Gay

C) Bisexual (+100 light side points, cause you're being open to everyone! *ahem*) :p

That would be the easiest one to implement, IMO. Plus it has the added advantage of using their 3-choice wheel graphic. :D

Edited by LyriaFrost