Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also you're going to need lines/voicing to replace the flirts one they're not appearing.

This crossed my mind as well, and it also applies to the "hide via toggle" idea. However, the solution that comes to mind is to use whatever line is currently used to fill in conversations with a flirtable NPC for the same gender. What I mean is, currently, if female NPC provides male PC with 2 options and a [Flirt], she provides fem!PC with 3 non-flirty options. Take that 3rd option and offer it to the male PC instead of a flirt.

As far as new voice acting goes... let's be honest, a lot of the quest one-liners are recycled anyway. ;P

From playing my femBH side by side with my friend's male Operative, I've seen that a great deal of the conversation options are the same between genders and even classes. There *have* been some class differences, but the only gender differences we've noted have been flirts.

Edited by Jenovan

My problem with toggles is if it's added, then they should add it for O/S flirting. If many straight people are uncomfortable with the S/S flirting with them, what about the S/S people who are uncomfortable or hate all the flirting with the O/S? If they add a toggle, it should also be added for all sexual content. Just want the S/S content? Turn it on, want it all on ect.

There is no reason to just make one aspect of it toggle and the other not because of insecure people.

This crossed my mind as well, and it also applies to the "hide via toggle" idea. However, the solution that comes to mind is to use whatever line is currently used to fill in conversations with a flirtable NPC for the same gender. What I mean is, currently, if female NPC provides male PC with 2 options and a [Flirt], she provides fem!PC with 3 non-flirty options. Take that 3rd option and offer it to the male PC instead of a flirt.

From playing my femBH side by side with my friend's male Operative, I've seen that a great deal of the conversation options are the same between genders and even classes. There *have* been some class differences, but the only gender differences we've noted have been flirts.

There'd still be voicing to worry about, though.

Actually, on reflection, it was a silly point on my part; not like they have any problem making my SW say "time for some blood!" or whatever at totally inappropriate points in other conversations :D

There'd still be voicing to worry about, though.

Actually, on reflection, it was a silly point on my part; not like they have any problem making my SW say "time for some blood!" or whatever at totally inappropriate points in other conversations :D

:eek::eek::eek:

Implications... unpleasant.

:) Thanks for the replies, guys! (@Raiellyn--I did miss it between refreshes and page changes--sorry!)

Points raised in opposition to a feedback-oriented system are valid ones, definitely.

Those who do not want to grimace and avoid the a same-gender flirt option or two at the outset would prefer a toggle (although, by extension, those of us who never want to be brutally murderously cruel to people might want a "no DS toggle" too..), and having the option may leave people feeling awkward. I have no real solution for this one that doesn't wander into the political realm of "learn to respect people, avoid what you don't like."

There are pitfalls with avoiding flirting and then wanting it later. To that end, there'd need to be a reset in prefs that goes back to offering flirts where available for another round or two (basically, resets the data gathered).

The limited flirt options in existence probably are the hardest to get around. Most are not gendered as far as I recall, so existing dialogue can be rolled both ways, but if it doesn't exist, that's a bigger issue. I guess a sliding system like I was proposing would have "sort of" noted effects on the game now, most drastically in refining gender in relationships, but in future expansion, having that data would let the devs really play with how they write dialogue and companion expansions!

*fingers crossed* =D Ever wish that imagining made things real? ;)

@kraidy My idea (and I'm sure I'm not the first to propose it) is to have two toggles, something to the effect of 'Allow Opposite Gender Relationships' and 'Allow Same Gender Relationships). If you toggle both off, no relationships. If you toggle one on, you get that category of relationship. If you toggle both on you get the options for both categories. This would require another 2 bits per character profile, and some conditional programming around the flirt options. Very little effort, and we all get what we want.

As a fairly new mmo player, I think an all romances available option would add interest to the game, although I might not take advantage of them. Some of the romance situations presented currently are really unsettling, but not coercively so, and if willing to accept the consequences, I have found that a player can choose a way around them. I had never before played a game with such interactive content, and some of it was really a revelation.

I have to say I was surprised when my female smuggler Captian's first conversation with Corso included a flirt option and ignored it because I wasn't sure how I felt about flirting with the crew. I also chose not to flirt with my more inconsiderate NPC's, although I told one we had professional conflicts because I might have to work with him again in the future. I definitely would have chosen a no romances allowed option at that point had it been possible due to the unpredictablility that it adds into your companion relationships, whose affection points may be affected who are integral to your success on your missions. The game is so awesome though that I decided to see where it led, and kept playing.

I felt a little akward when Corso's continuing conversations raised his flirting assertiveness to the point where I wasn't sure if I would keep his affection, protection, and Crew Skills if I didn't respond moderately positively.

Pleasantly, while somewhat aggressive, he didn't force my character to interact with him outside the traditional methods of courting, although the option was offered, and so far I have been very pleased with him. Risha, on the other hand has indicated that she might date one of the Hutts and frankly this terrifies me about her character because I'm not sure what else I don't know, so I would probably never date her. I'm still not sure how I feel about the Captian flirting with the crew, but I didn't really get the choice with Corso until we were already in the conversation and he was flirting aggressively and the option besides flirting back was really very harsh.

Still I have to say courtship very interesting and while I have made my choice with Corso, I am curious about certain things in the future for my alts.

For instance, I also run a male Sith Marauder and I have a lot of difficulty trying to figure out whether to romance Vette,

because she says these fairly flirty things, but she is a slave, and not even mine. So, do you get involved with a slave who might feel coerced and that you cannot free because you do not own her and furthermore whom might be taken from you at anytime as you have no legal claim? However, after the 15th companion courting gift she brought back in a row, literally they were filling up my inventory, I took the hint and gave her one and got back an astounding +12 affection. I thought, forget this, Quinn is more ornamental and less apt to tell me I have no resources in my toolkit, so I gave him one and got +40 affection and, "You honor me, my lord!" and I thought, "Whoop! They've added intergender relationships, like they said they would I'm going to court Quinn!":cool: Sadly, having taken him out to eat multiple times, filled his room with weapons, given him formal clothing and sets of cologne his response has diminished to +24 affection and, "You have my thanks." :confused: I was very disappointed because you can only choose one companion and I want to marry Quinn, who is free to say yes or no, and shares the same goals in my career path! I went lightside so Vette is getting more and more flirty and given my experience with Corso, I'm not sure how long I can hold her off waiting for the opportunity to choose Quinn before I have to choose her or lose her affection.

I love playing my Marauder, and the storyline has really secured my interest, but if I knew I would have the choice to choose the one I really wish for in a few months, I might place his toon in storage. With no ETA I will probably just play out the written storyline, but if Bioware really does roll out this new relationship content even with no way to alter previous toon courtship dilemmas, I will roll another male Sith Warrior from scratch to see how it turns out, I really can't wait! ;)

Edited by qamic

@kraidy My idea (and I'm sure I'm not the first to propose it) is to have two toggles, something to the effect of 'Allow Opposite Gender Relationships' and 'Allow Same Gender Relationships). If you toggle both off, no relationships. If you toggle one on, you get that category of relationship. If you toggle both on you get the options for both categories. This would require another 2 bits per character profile, and some conditional programming around the flirt options. Very little effort, and we all get what we want.

In I post I already made which this may be the most objective solution.. its also the one that requires the most work and time for the devs with needing a total of 4 fully voiced conversation combinations

Edited by Tenebram

I just want to know why they should add in a 'romance toggle' to this game specifically considering:

1) no other game has ever included such a thing.

2) Plenty of other games have shipped with SGRA and no toggle for it.

Edited by Sireene
reply to deleted post

I just want to know why they should add in a 'romance toggle' to this game specifically considering:

1) no other game has ever included such a thing.

2) Plenty of other games have shipped with SGRA and no toggle for it.

Not to mention there is far worse things in this game then S/S. I don't liek the toggle idea but if it must happen then make two toggles.

In a suggestion I posted some time ago, long lost and ignored, I proposed something I thought would work more perfectly than any toggle option in that it'd be realistic, and also progressively drive results.

I'd like to see the romance system use the player's feedback to drive the progression. It's simple, really--you talk to a person, you choose to be flirtatious if the option appears, and that "input" indicates to the game that your player is perhaps more inclined to be flirtatious with a guy or a gal or both. This would trigger tthe game to offer increased flirt options with the companion or gender(s) of NPC that you elect to flirt with.

If you avoid flirting with a gender of NPC or with a companion 2 or 3 times, then that'd be a pretty good indication that, given a choice, you'd prefer not to flirt in that situation, and those options become less frequent. You might have a flirt option pop up when you meet a new companion, and if you avoid again, then back to not showing flirt. This might be resettable, just in case players manage to mess up and lock themselves out of flirt.

The advantage of such a system:

~You don't get an awkward system that doesn't know whether to continue to have flirting or not.

~Your character can become increasingly or decreasingly flirtatious rather than all or nothing

~BW can continue to grow flirting options out logically as they expand the game

~If you want to play around with gender in romance, start doing so and it magically expands

~If you don't, then avoid options you don't want and they go away

~...profit!

This is interesting, and I do think that it would put everyone on the same footing. What I do wonder about is feasibility.

If you are no longer seeing [Flirt] for one gender or the other or both, would that simply reduce your conversational options to two? Otherwise, there is a need to introduce a neutral, non-flirt conversational prompt. Now, a lot of these are pre-voiced ("What's in it for me?" or "How can I help?") so it would not necessarily mean more VA. But it would certainly mean a lot of script wizardry to pull the whole thing together (recognizing frequency of selection, etc.)

Also, I don't want to miss my chance to [Flirt] just because the first three times I have an option, the NPC is no one my character would touch with someone else's ten-foot pole.

So I appreciate your thoughtfulness in arriving at an equitable suggestion. But I wonder a bit at how feasible it actually would be in terms of scripting, and worry about unnecessarily limiting choice by needing to take the opportunity to flirt in order to keep the option available later in play.

Okay.. minor nitpick. How many games with SGRA are "plenty"? I only count Sims, Fable, and Dragon Age... and sort of Mass Effect?

There are not that many. It's a fairly new thing in games, with Bioware having the seniority of the issue being handled in a serious fashion.

And agreed on sooner being better! Though depending on how Mass Effect 3 handles it (Ashley? Tali? Pleeeeeeaaaase?), Bioware MIGHT be able to buy me off for a few months...

But as of right now, I'm completely bored with SWTOR. Can't play most of my characters, for fear of missing out on the future romances that might be put in, and those that I can play are... not holding my alt-ADD interest for long. :(

Edited by Raiellyn

I had actually posted this in another thread. It is updated to include other companions I or my husband have acquired.

Remember this is my opinion and my opinion only. I have no delusion that my opinion = fact. That being said here are my thoughts on some of the characters. I know the list is short compared to what is in the game. I'm in college right now, so playing hasn't been happening too often. Thus is the life of a student. -shrug-

Just as a side note: Sometimes you really can't tell if what a person's preference is by looking at them or hearing them talk for five minutes. Sometimes, it takes actually getting to know a person. Not that I know these characters very well...but you get the idea.

Jedi Consular:

Theran Cedrex: Bi/Gay. Could be the reason he has a holographic girlfriend...Just speculation of course. (I haven't gotten him on my Jedi Consular yet, but my husband has, so I have only been able to see the part of the Consular's story where you acquire Theran as a companion.)

Trooper:

Aric Jorgan: Bi/Gay/Straight... No idea. I'm just barely in Act 2 on my Trooper and have just high enough affection with Aric that he is starting to open up.

Elara Dorne: Straight. Personally, I think she's too conservative for anything else, as of right now anyway. (I actually had her in my party when I was on Nar Shaddaa. She really doesn't like it when your Trooper goes against regulation and flirts with the SIS agent. I did it just to piss her off. :jawa_evil: )

Bounty Hunter:

Mako: To be honest, she comes across as being a little sister to even be a romance option. That aside, I would say straight.

Smuggler:

Corso Riggs: Straight. It could be his good ol'boy attitude, or the fact that with him it seems to be "what you see is what you get", I don't know, but it just seems to me that he doesn't come across as being into men. Though, this could change with whatever BioWare has in mind for future companion romance story lines.

Risha: Bi or just straight-up lesbian. She mentions having a history with an NPC on Taris. Where I am in the story line, that could mean anything. Until I see what BioWare's future plans are with this char, I'm going with partners in crime.

Imperial Agent:

Kaliyo: Iffy/Bi. Of the characters I've run across this far in the game, she is the hardest to figure out. At least on the Sith side.

Vector:Straight/Bi. I can't explain why this is. Maybe he just seems as though he would be a little more open to other options.

Sith Warrior

Vette: Straight/Bi. I don't know that I can see her as a complete lesbian, then again my SW is only level 13, so I haven't played long enough on this char to get a handle on Vette's personality other than she seems to be very happy-go-lucky.

Again, what I have listed is merely speculation from someone who likes to write and pays attention to the character of people, fiction and non-fiction. To state the obvious, a lot of these characters have current story lines and personalities that could progress as the game progresses. It will be really interesting to see what BioWare has in mind for them.

Behind the scenes:

1- I wonder if BioWare already has some script written for future romance interactions.

2- It wouldn't surprise me if BioWare already has voice actors all lined up and ready to go for future story lines.

3- I understand this is a business and BioWare needs to do what is most financially beneficial to them (after all, if the company takes a financial hit because of a bad decision, future content will most likely not happen). If that means making the current companions/romance options Bi, so be it.

4- It doesn't matter how well a game is made or what changes are implemented , people will still complain. Not everyone can be satisfied.

Edit: Blarg. I should have posted this after I had some sleep. Just to clarify, I haven't gotten far on some story lines. As I said before, what I have posted is speculation and I even make mention, in some of my explanations (which should be in all explanations, but I didn't feel like repeating myself), that companion story line/personalities could change as the character experiences growth. Again, this is all dependent on what BW has in mind for the future of these, and other, companions.

I completely agree with same gender romance options but completely and totally disagree with many of the stereotypes in this list.

Yes to SGRA!

No to this ridiculous list.

Okay.. minor nitpick. How many games with SGRA are "plenty"? I only count Sims, Fable, and Dragon Age... and sort of Mass Effect?

I hear Skyrim also has some sort of same-gender marriage, but I'm not really a fan of sandbox games so I haven't tried it myself.

And this might be a little weird to suggest, but Zynga has same-gender marriage in at least one of their vaguely more RPG-ish facebook games. That's a huge audience normal RPGs can't even imagine ;)

Skyrim, Fallout 2 and 3 I think, Fallout: NV had some gay characters....there were some Rockstar games I think.

Wiki gives a nice list of LGBT characters in games: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LGBT_characters_in_video_games

There's not an option to toggle any of them away as far as I know.

I hear Skyrim also has some sort of same-gender marriage, but I'm not really a fan of sandbox games so I haven't tried it myself.

And this might be a little weird to suggest, but Zynga has same-gender marriage in at least one of their vaguely more RPG-ish facebook games. That's a huge audience normal RPGs can't even imagine ;)

Yes. You can marry certain NPCs, regardless of your gender and some characters will flirt with you depending on your gender.

New Vegas had two perks that open up S/S dialog, sometimes which could lead to sex.

Theres lots of other games that have lots of referances or even homosexual people you encounter, Rift has same sex marriages, Borderlands has a few referances to homosexual relationships between some of the people you encounter, Oblivion had a couple of sessions of flirting, NFS: The Run has a lesbian couple you race against.

But this is getting off topic

Edited by Tenebram

I think sooooo many people make this about politics or content for gay gamers when in reality it is just about being flexible and letting people play how they want.

For example I (like many many many others) am a male who plays, almost exclusively, female characters. I have no interest in perusing romance arcs with the male companions (looking at you and your moles Quinn) but I do want to see those story lines with Vette and Jeasa. I've actually parked my SW until the SGRAs are in the game as I'm afraid BW won't make them backwards compatible so to speak.

People are so uptight about this it really boggles my mind. It isn't about straight or gay....I mean who really cares? You are NOT your character, what they do or who they shag has no impact on your personal sexuality.

Hey everybody!

Recently we've had to remove several posts, and the discussion itself is starting to get a little off-topic. When replying to threads regarding Same Gender Romances in Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ please refrain from making comments containing real-life issues or opinions on the subject matter as it is inappropriate for the forums.

Additionally, please note that this discussion isn't for whether Same Gender Romances should or should not be implemented into the game. Posts containing such content are considered off-topic.

Finally, please remember to:

• keep all replies constructive and on-topic
  • be respectful of others even if there are differences in opinion
  • Flag posts if you believe a user to be disruptive or violating one of our Rules of Conduct

Thanks!

Edited by Sireene

I think sooooo many people make this about politics or content for gay gamers when in reality it is just about being flexible and letting people play how they want.

For example I (like many many many others) am a male who plays, almost exclusively, female characters. I have no interest in perusing romance arcs with the male companions (looking at you and your moles Quinn) but I do want to see those story lines with Vette and Jeasa. I've actually parked my SW until the SGRAs are in the game as I'm afraid BW won't make them backwards compatible so to speak.

People are so uptight about this it really boggles my mind. It isn't about straight or gay....I mean who really cares? You are NOT your character, what they do or who they shag has no impact on your personal sexuality.

If they even give us the old companions. We don't know yet, but here's to hoping that they do. Because seriously, if I ever play a female Smuggler, I'm not sure I could live without doing very naughty things to Akaavi.

Btw, I know many men who play female characters and also want to romance the female companions. My brother, for one, but funny thing happened to him - played Dragon Age: Origins and ended up romancing Alistair. I glared daggers at him because I also played a mage, but a male one, and I didn't get that option. More choice isn't just a matter of inclusiveness, it's also simply more choice and I hear that's something of a selling point for these games.