Official Q&A Thread for April 20th, 2012 Q&A Blog Post

JovethGonzalez

update 4/13: This Q&A will be postponed until next week, April 20th.

Hello and welcome to the official Q&A thread for questions to be answered for the April 20th, 2012 Q&A blog post.

As a reminder, we’ll be starting up a weekly Q&A blog series in which we will select ten questions from the community and post answers to them every Friday. We’ll have the next set of answers next week on April 13th, 2012, but before that, we need your questions!

Please use this thread to ask your question (one per community member, so make it count!). On Tuesday at 2PM CST (8PM BST/9PM CEST/5AM AEST), we will close this thread, select ten questions, and get answers to them for Friday’s blog post.

In order to increase the chances of having your specific question answered and to help us keep the thread manageable, here are some guidelines on asking questions:

1. Keep your question relatively short. Background details are welcome, but don’t go overboard.
  2. Please actually ask a question. We want to hear constructive feedback elsewhere in the Forums.
  3. Use common sense – we cannot answer everything, especially on far-reaching content.
  4. This should go without saying, but be respectful.
  5. Limit yourself to one question in this thread, please. You can always ask another question next week!
  6. And finally, as a reminder, this is not a discussion thread. Do not comment about what somebody else has posted.

Any other posts apart from questions in the thread will be removed. With that being said, please ask away!

Edited by JovethGonzalez

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What was your reasoning behind allowing vehicles in inappropriate places like indoors and fleet station? Fleet station is now a jumble of over sized speeders and all the nonsense associated with that in confined spaces. You now opened up more indoor locations with the coming update 1.2, yet still have not addressed speeders in outdoor tunnels like the Dune Sea tunnel?

I guess my question is: is the guy in charge with speeder use allowances not actually playing the game to see how messed up it is?

The Legacy system that is being introduced works on a per-server basis. As such, has consideration been given to the effects future character transfers -if implemented- could have on Legacy? i.e. Transferring between 2 servers you currently have a legacy on, or transferring a character (say level 50) to a brand new server?

Edit: Beaten to it :rolleyes:

Edited by Craigozo

Are there currently any plans to introduce a flashpoint wherein the player can take his or her companions as the party? Such as, one where instead of needing other people to run it, my smuggler could instead take Bowdaar, Risha, and Guss along with him? It seems reasonable that, while not feasible for normal play and other flashpoints or Operations, there could be instances where our companions could (and story-wise, should) work as a team.

A lot of roleplayers would like to know when our playstyle will get some attention. We've got some new stuff coming in 1.2, but some of it will have to be earned. Other playstyles (PvP and PvE) get access to their content right from the start, so it seems weird to me that roleplayers have to do other things in order to get the tools to do what they want.

What about sitting in chairs? More cross-faction interaction? What about something like out-of-combat Force powers?

Edited by Dezzi

With the legacy system coming in and able to use skills from top lvl chars in our legacy on other classes, are there any plans to allow the use of companions that are maxed out affection within the class section on other characters too.

I ask this as it would allow for darkside republic and lightside imperials to make choices and not impact upon there companions at lower levels with negative affection.

Edited by Shingara

I read that your current plan is to release operations consisting of 4-5 bosses each so that the experience of raiding them isn't too overwhelming, but I am concerned that as a result you are 'fracturing' tiers unnecessarily.

If we consider Explosive Conflicts as the first half of tier 2, and whatever operation comes in 1.3 to be the second half, then tier 2 is going to consist of four to five months of Explosive Conflict and then two to three months of whatever Operation comes next.

Would it not be a better plan to craft two operations at a time, meaning the raiding community has a choice of what to run at any given time, without having to face an extended run over a period of time in one Operation, and a curtailed run in the other Operation of the same tier which could be released months after?

Are you still on track to provide server transfers for Asia-based players in April? We have not received the promised emails in March and are getting anxious that this has dropped off your radar.

Would you care to comment on your reasons why the GTN/Mail limits are so [iMO] tiny?

I have five crafting professions at 400 and OCD not logic will drive me to max poor armstech. I want to avoid six slow logout and six log in screens; it is easier to just buy everything on one alt. But it is quite easy to exceed the 200 item mail cap just from purchases. Add in expired auctions and character/character transfers (/beg legacy bank) and I am way over.

I would emo-rage-pout :-) in different ways whether Bioware thought this was just a "let's see how performance and bots behave" launch phase versus "working as intended". The existing system works fine if you want to make a few items for yourself and an alt or two. If your "Elder Gaming" is crafting, then existing constraints are quite constraining.

Other game: Blizzard dev posted that mail transfer works well for a few dozen items between friends/alts but in retrospect they wish they did not also use it for AH(GTN) transactions. I think I managed to buy 600 items while waiting to kill Deathwing (WTB prompt raiders.) When some special snowflake puts up forty single items and that generates forty mail messages, it can add up.

In the original Knights of the Old Republic games, light-side and dark-side played a big role in the game. It changed the storyline and you received bonuses for being maxed out. What bonuses are there for reaching the different light-side or dark-side leve now that it has been removed from the items? Are there any current plans to expand on this aspect of the game?

What is the reasoning behind the change to Corso Riggs' Harpoon? We are 4 months past release and you are making a major change that has a negative impact on most Scoundrel and some Gunslinger playstyles. This is a huge change and many in the Scoundrel community would like an official explanation for why you are ruining the only companion we can use effectively.

Are there plans to introduce a mentoring/Sidekicking system? It's already hard to stick with friends and harder still to invite new ones because the lack of such a system all but requires making new characters and tying them to only one group of friends.

I watched the video about saving the new changeable HUD layout, and lately I've been learning to keybind and remap my combat and movement keys to get away from mouse-clicking all the buttons for more fluid actions. In 1.2, will we be able to save the keybind changes we've made on one character to import to another? It saves having to make the same keybind changes to the quickslots for every alt, and it would be icing on the cake to be able to pre-map abilities to those slots - even those that you haven't already gotten yet but will do so in the future.

For example, when I change from DPS to Healing on my Sorc, I have to sort around all my icons again to match with the preferred keybound quicklots. It would be easier to have a DPS version of the HUD saved and able to be swapped out with the Healing version, with their specific ability icons included.

Edited by SupernovaRU

My question is about the philosophy behind the Skill Tree system. It's clearly based on another game's system which is now being completely redesigned. Given the reasons for the change, why did you go forward with the Skill Tree system as it currently stands in SWTOR? Have you considered using a different model, and if so, can you give us an example or two?

Curious to know what the ranking for all both AC's are played from most to least. Since i have 3 different classes am i playing one there is to many of one that is more unique (aka less played).

For example: Which one is played most, played least.

Assassin

Sorc

Powertech

Mercenary

Marauder

Juggernaut

Sniper

Operative

As you stated in the last Q&A, Scrapper DPS is closer to target in 1.2. However, this does not account for the issues that the scrapper has in DPS uptime, either in PVP or PVE. This can be a issue when a boss has strong attacks that must be avoided, or when a great distance is created between player and opponent. While other melee classes have the ability to leap or sprint back into combat, Scoundrels do not have anything to fulfill this role while in active combat. Are there any plans to introduce a new ability to facilitate this role?

As of patch 1.2, Centurion and Champion gear will be phased out, replaced by Recruit gear. Battlemaster gear will have the valor rank requirement removed and be purchasable with warzone commendations now instead. Compared to Rakata gear (equivilant rating), Battlemaster boasts a large amount of expertise, while Rakata only has a lead of a small amount of primary stat points. It sounds like a week of dedicated play can fully gear someone in battlemaster. What will be the point of organizing groups for hardmode flashpoints or normalmode operations for columi gear? Why bother with rakata mods/enhancements when battlemaster mods/enhancements have the same stats plus expertise?

Will using other faction races have any impact on conversations?

For example, Chiss Smuggler.

During one class quest, he tries to pretend as not-so-blue chiss pilot. What if he is blue?

Or republic quest on Hoth, where your character says something like 'blue guy called?', and that don't really fit if player is also chiss.