Amplifiers for tanks?

ThatGuyToo

From what I've ready on the theroycraft discord it look like for tactical it weapon penetration to help with dps. As far as armor goes I would say any resist that help with tech and force DR or keep stacking weapon pen. Edited by swiftrav

Aural Resistance - Reduces the damage taken from attacks that affect an area.

Force Protection - Reduces the damage taken from Force attacks.

Fortuitous Redoubt - Deflecting, dodging, or parrying an attack generates a redoubt to absorb a percentage of incoming damage for five seconds.

Periodic Resilience - Reduces the damage taken from periodic effects.

Reinforced Armor - Reduces the damage taken from weapon attacks.

Shield Reflection - Reflects a percentage of shielded damage back at the attacker.

Tech Aegis - Reduces the damage taken from tech attacks.

Weapon Expertise - Increases the damage dealt by weapon attacks.

I could see these all being useful. However, they are from the primary set and only come on Armorings/Hilts/Barrels.

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/news-article/20191022-1

Aural Resistance - Reduces the damage taken from attacks that affect an area.

Force Protection - Reduces the damage taken from Force attacks.

Fortuitous Redoubt - Deflecting, dodging, or parrying an attack generates a redoubt to absorb a percentage of incoming damage for five seconds.

Periodic Resilience - Reduces the damage taken from periodic effects.

Reinforced Armor - Reduces the damage taken from weapon attacks.

Shield Reflection - Reflects a percentage of shielded damage back at the attacker.

Tech Aegis - Reduces the damage taken from tech attacks.

Weapon Expertise - Increases the damage dealt by weapon attacks.

I could see these all being useful. However, they are from the primary set and only come on Armorings/Hilts/Barrels.

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/news-article/20191022-1

I suppose I was not clear in my request since I am aware of what amplifiers exist. The purpose was to get an idea of what worked better for tanks, not a complete list of what could possibly work for tanks. But thx.

• 1 month later...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QmDklkEIBE6yBCTZNGb3zCLA3SPExJU_vNwSaJ6XTKE/htmlview#gid=567879846

I found the link above in a thread asking about amplifiers for a DPS class. The spreadsheet looks at each spec for each class including tanking to find the amplifier type that would provide the most benefit for each build. We can even see the attack type and damage type for each damage skil.

So it would seem the answer to my question above is Armor pen.

• 2 weeks later...
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QmDklkEIBE6yBCTZNGb3zCLA3SPExJU_vNwSaJ6XTKE/htmlview#gid=567879846

I found the link above in a thread asking about amplifiers for a DPS class. The spreadsheet looks at each spec for each class including tanking to find the amplifier type that would provide the most benefit for each build. We can even see the attack type and damage type for each damage skil.

So it would seem the answer to my question above is Armor pen.

for DPS increase that is correct but this is a tank discussion .. . . .

Edited by RikuvonDrake

for DPS increase that is correct but this is a tank discussion .. . . .

It is good for both DPS and tanks. Even some builds are suggesting tanks use either aural resistance or the amplifier that increased damage done just as tanks have often used mods with power vs defense though for most of end game content it is more useful to use warding mods since power is predetermined when bolstered.

It is good for both DPS and tanks. Even some builds are suggesting tanks use either aural resistance or the amplifier that increased damage done just as tanks have often used mods with power vs defense though for most of end game content it is more useful to use warding mods since power is predetermined when bolstered.

You can also run fully hybrid tank builds in non-capped content because the game doesn't punish you very hard for it. With BiS healers, tanks can go almost half-damage and still live through all of HM Dxun right now.

When NiM drops it will probably force full mitigation sets, but for now...

• 8 months later...
All my available armoring amps on my sin tank are set to either +.45 or .5% Fortuitous Redoubt. It's been working well for me so far.

I run a guardian tank for PVE and raids. I found DPS is not my role so that link you posted says they do not recommend the DPS Amplifiers for tanks. I found using Lugnuts suggestion is the best option for tanks being dependable to stay on there feet and most reliable.

I run a guardian tank for PVE and raids. I found DPS is not my role so that link you posted says they do not recommend the DPS Amplifiers for tanks. I found using Lugnuts suggestion is the best option for tanks being dependable to stay on there feet and most reliable.

armor pen is better for 95% of pve content, only for the most difficult nim fights do you actually need aural res, but for a new/inexperienced player/tank i guess it can have a placebo kinda effect

Edited by RikuvonDrake

armor pen is better for 95% of pve content, only for the most difficult nim fights do you actually need aural res, but for a new/inexperienced player/tank i guess it can have a placebo kinda effect

lol you refer that not using armor Penetration you are considered new? Maybe if they need the tank to dps ya but if you need the tank to tank than I would thank the newbie would be the tank that wants to dps. and 95% would be an exaggeration of what pve content needs good tanks.

lol you refer that not using armor Penetration you are considered new? Maybe if they need the tank to dps ya but if you need the tank to tank than I would thank the newbie would be the tank that wants to dps. and 95% would be an exaggeration of what pve content needs good tanks.

not really but in general the variety of type of damage tanks take in most content is so large that the tank amplifiers have pretty limited effects, for example in dxun you want reinforced armor, gods tech aegis and palace/fortress aural res. armor pen is generally recommended for tanks running mostly flashpoints/open-world content and story/hardmode level operations as the dtps is generally quite low and overhealing by healers is already very high

having amplifiers that ALWAYS gives you an advantage is thus pretty smart decision, I dunno if you do many operations but look at the raid tab of starparse and check your dtps/healers effective % and you might be surprised. but again for a new/inexperienced player that is new/bad/inexperienced at tanking having actual tank amplifier can have a placebo kinda effect and if they are afraid of getting "called out" by their group for having "improper" amplifiers it helps, I guess?

I don't think you understood what I wrote, what I mean is that in 95% content you don't need a player in a defensive role who "only" is soaking damage, like a tank with defensive amplifiers. I think that 95% might be a low estimate, think about how much story/open-world content there is, you don't need a tank for any story mode content, same for all story mode, all veteran and the majority of the master mode flashpoints, same for uprisings, for ops you don't need a tank in any story mode , so that leaves you with ONLY hardmode and nightmare ops, that's not 5% of the swtor content, its less

Edited by RikuvonDrake

not really but in general the variety of type of damage tanks take in most content is so large that the tank amplifiers have pretty limited effects, for example in dxun you want reinforced armor, gods tech aegis and palace/fortress aural res. armor pen is generally recommended for tanks running mostly flashpoints/open-world content and story/hardmode level operations as the dtps is generally quite low and overhealing by healers is already very high

But, the only damage type that ignores armor is internal/elemental, and most people can't afford to have five different sets of amplified armorings and hilts/barrels, so it seems either Aural Resistance or Reinforced Armor is best (dxun data notwithstanding)?

For example, take my sin/shadows. I have Aural Resistance amplifiers on the armorings in the Efficient Termination set for a mitigation build, and Armor Pen on the (Resistive) armorings in the Death Knell set for extra damage while tanking. Naturally not all of those are capped amps or unlettered armorings (though they are all 306) simply because it takes a lot of time and money to acquire capped amps on unlettered armorings x 3 amplifier types (Armor Pen, Aural Res, Reinf Arm) x 6 tanks. But even if I did have all those item modifications (162 including hilts/barrels), I'm not sure I would want to pay to swap them out each time. Not to mention that none of that includes considerations of Tech-heavy ops vs Force-heavy ops.

Is reinforced armor as effective on a class with a lower armor rating by default, like sins/shadows?