Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

If we actually do get same-gender [Flirt] prompts beyond companion romance, I may in fact start another Smuggler just to see them, at least up to the spot I have gotten my main to so far (foot-dragging because the Presumption of Heterosexuality Factor is so terribly high. I wonder if the writer responsible was as well, not to think that the player might have different ideas).

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to reroll either. Some people claim you can get to 50 in 1 week or less. Meh... can't imagine how,but whatever

I'm slowly leveling my trooper, but what I'm doing is holding off Elara's convos. If she becomes available, the flirts and option for the romance path should be there. Also, I'm skipping the planets' bonus series, so I'll have something to do after I hit 50. I don't want to just stream one conversation after the other with nothing in between.

Too bad those quests won't scale to your character, but well.... that's the best I can think of to be prepared and play the game at the same time.

EDIT:

Though it does suck entering to a cantina and seeing Elara's quest mark on her head, having to refrain myself :(

I stopped leveling my SI at 30, just before she met Ashara, but I got tired and eventually kept on leveling her, avoiding conversation with ashara. I'm 48 now with more than 8000 affection with ashara, so she must have a lot to tell me, poor girl!:o

If we actually do get same-gender [Flirt] prompts beyond companion romance, I may in fact start another Smuggler just to see them, at least up to the spot I have gotten my main to so far (foot-dragging because the Presumption of Heterosexuality Factor is so terribly high. I wonder if the writer responsible was as well, not to think that the player might have different ideas).

I hope they do include [Flirt] prompts, because it's hardly equal treatment if they leave them out. I know it's a lot more work, but it's something they do need to include if they want to do the job properly. Perhaps this is why it's taking them so long to finish the SGR content *looks hopeful*.

Anyone think the hold up on SGRA might be due to the E.S.R.B. making them change the rateing from "T" to "M" if they put them in?

I believe this has already been addressed, but I think it might have been a while ago so it's worth reposting. Someone here contacted the ESRB regarding same-sex content and the response was that it does not in itself get you a higher rating. I suspect the hold-up is more to do with them actually working on the content itself and dealing with the upheaval with the switch to F2P.

Edited by Eleuril

Anyone think the hold up on SGRA might be due to the E.S.R.B. making them change the rateing from "T" to "M" if they put them in?

Here is the ESRB reply to precisely that question. The upshot is no, same-gender content does not merit a higher rating than the opposite-gender content already in the game as T.

Thank you for contacting the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB). We sincerely appreciate your taking the time to write.

The ESRB is a non-profit, self-regulatory body that assigns age and content ratings for video games and mobile apps so parents can make informed choices as to which are suitable for their children and family. As part of its self-regulatory role for the video game industry, the ESRB also enforces industry-adopted advertising guidelines and helps ensure responsible online privacy practices among companies participating in its Privacy Online program.

We understand that sexual themes have the potential to be of concern to consumers, which is why all such content must be disclosed during the rating process. In specific regard to your question, ESRB’s ratings criteria do not distinguish between heterosexual and same-sex content when it comes to addressing sexuality in games.

We hope this information is helpful, and thank you again for writing.

Best regards,

Entertainment Software Rating Board

I don't want to reroll either. Some people claim you can get to 50 in 1 week or less. Meh... can't imagine how,but whatever

I'm slowly leveling my trooper, but what I'm doing is holding off Elara's convos. If she becomes available, the flirts and option for the romance path should be there. Also, I'm skipping the planets' bonus series, so I'll have something to do after I hit 50. I don't want to just stream one conversation after the other with nothing in between.

Too bad those quests won't scale to your character, but well.... that's the best I can think of to be prepared and play the game at the same time.

EDIT:

Though it does suck entering to a cantina and seeing Elara's quest mark on her head, having to refrain myself :(

It's called they have no life and stay up all week til they hit 50. :p

Haha, sounds like a good idea. :p I need to work on my male trooper... >_>

Edited by Silthir

Soo, just came across this on my twitter feed:

Link

Perhaps someone should remind them of our little thread?

Y'know, some-one with better diplomatic words than me?:D

The link was broken in your post, it came through in the quote. Should be clickable now. :)

EDIT and fixed.

Well, I am not sure who we'd remind, since our go-to people in BioWare Austin already claim to be escalating our concerns. I did leave a comment on the page, however.

Edited by Uluain

Ah- finally this is working.

On the subject of the Twitter thing, I tried it, sent a message to GaymerCon about asking EA about SGRA's in SWTOR (long shot). Not sure if I did it correctly, though, Twitter's a somewhat alien beast to me. I guess we'll see.

At the very least it should shut up the 'EA won't allow it' crowd.:cool:

It almost seems that nothing does. It doesn't matter if we point out SGR content in other BioWare or EA titles, or if we point out George Lucas' personal $50,000 contribution to support marriage equality in California, or the ESRB saying flat out that same-gender affection is rated just like opposite-gender content.

People who oppose this are desperate to find a reason why it would be excluded that doesn't amount to "I don't like it so you can't have any." We can only try to be patient with debunking each of these as often as they arise – and if nine months of this thread have given us nothing else, we at least have responses to these objections.

Edited by Uluain

I wonder if the writer responsible was as well, not to think that the player might have different ideas.

FWIW, the Smuggler class (from my understanding) was co-written by Hal Hood (I've heard primarily Chapter 1) and Jennifer Hepler (I've heard Chapters 2 and 3, where most of the Romance content would be).

I can't speak for Mr. Hood, but Ms. Hepler wrote for Dragon Age: Origins and was responsible for writing Anders in Dragon Age 2, so I'm guessing the concept of same sex romance options would be something she's familiar with and might think of. :)

Edited by AlixMV

Well, if you play a male Smuggler and meet a female NPC in Chapter One, chances are you have a chance to [Flirt] with her. I don't think all of these – or even most of these – lead to the BSOCK. But the options are prevalent and this is true in class missions and in world missions alike.

I mean, you really get hammered with these opportunities, sometimes getting a prompt in the very next conversational fork after declining to [Flirt] with the NPC once already. In some cases, you have a choice between a [Flirt], losing affection with one companion, or losing affection with two companions.

It's just infuriating to me to have it decided for me that my smuggler will be a ladies' man. I don't mind him being a smart-*** - that's fine. But the relentless opposite-gender [Flirt]s are disheartening when there is no option anywhere to [Flirt] with guys.

I'm into Chapter 2 now, and taking a break from Smuggler because I was getting pissed off when I was trying to have fun.

Edited by Uluain

It's just infuriating to me to have it decided for me that my smuggler will be a ladies' man. I don't mind him being a smart-*** - that's fine. But the relentless opposite-gender [Flirt]s are disheartening when there is no option anywhere to [Flirt] with guys.

I'm into Chapter 2 now, and taking a break from Smuggler because I was getting pissed off when I was trying to have fun.

I was going to write something scathingly sarcastic about how Bioware's writers really want you to have the most enjoyable experience when going through their stories, but to be honest, I haven't the heart. It's a terrible situation to be in and Bioware's writer's/developers/managers/whatever should feel bad for having put players in it, but I imagine their too far deep in writing new story/bug fixes/vodka to notice and/or care.

Of course we'll never know. They likely won't even issue a minor apology for what's been done to this game. As asked earlier, what would Bioware put in the patch notes:

• New conversation options have been added to some Companions and World NPCs.

Again, without any word, the impression is certainly negative.

All of this could be, if not perfectly mended, at least greatly improved by better communication from BioWare. I will give the community team the benefit of the doubt that our concerns are noted and escalated in a suitable manner. But whatever it is that prevents a considered and considerate reply from those involved in this content is not helping, like at all.

We have been more than patient, and sometimes less than patient, over the more than twelve months since Stephen Reid's initial (and, as it happened, final) word on same gender content, over the more than nine months and nearly half a million views of this thread – the only permissible SGR discussion, which has received one grudging and wholly unhelpful staff reply, and over the more than six months which have passed since the last (and, for that manner only, ever) word from the developers at the Guild Summit.

We are asked to believe that this content will come, that it will come this year, that this thread is read and our concerns escalated. We are asked to confine any discussion to this single thread. Considering what we have been offered in return, it seems like we are asked a great deal. So let us ask this, by way of quid pro quo:

• Are we still on track to see same-gender relationships in-game this year? If not, what is a reasonable time frame in which to expect this?
  • Will same-gender relationships be available with some current companions and, if so, with which?
  • How will this content be made available to players who may already have progressed companion stories?
  • Will there be an additional charge, in real currency or in-game credits, necessary to unlock this feature?
  • Will we see same-gender [Flirt] options in the game beyond the limited scope of companion character relationships?

Many of these questions have been asked – but never addressed – since the inception of this thread. Others have arisen in response to changes at BioWare Austin and in the direction of the game. Answers to any would be greatly appreciated. If discussion is to be kept in one thread, then Bioware should show us in no uncertain terms that they are in fact listening.

Edited by Uluain

It would be nice if the Community Team could engage in this discussion more readily (as a part of the general promise they made about more communication and better player relations) but I honestly find it highly doubtful that they ever will. All that has been shown to us thus far from Bioware are some begrudging, half-hearted comments which say nothing in particular and do not do anything to dissuade the ever mounting disillusionment that I ( and I assume others) am feeling.

I've said that before and I'm saying it again. I don't believe for one second that the Community Team are actually reading this thread. I certainly don't believe that anyone capable of making a decision actually care about our concerns.

Edit: Cruel, I know.

Edited by Tatile

It would be nice if the Community Team could engage in this discussion more readily (as a part of the general promise they made about more communication and better player relations) but I honestly find it highly doubtful that they ever will. All that has been shown to us thus far from Bioware are some begrudging, half-hearted comments which say nothing in particular and do not do anything to dissuade the ever mounting disillusionment that I ( and I assume others) am feeling.

I've said that before and I'm saying it again. I don't believe for one second that the Community Team are actually reading this thread. I certainly don't believe that anyone capable of making a decision actually care about our concerns.

Edit: Cruel, I know.

I think you are saying what everyone is thinking.

If it's coming, why not just gives us a "it's still coming, sit tight."

The silence only seems to indicate that they don't care, and it isn't coming.

I'm just PRAYING that Bioware does include same gender relationships in Dragon Age 3: Inquisition. After how amazingly same sex friendly ME3 was, I would have thought for sure DA3 would, but after the lack of it or communication about it now I'm worried.

Are you kidding? If they drop the ball here, this is the last dime of my money BioWare, EA or LucasArts will ever see. Either you are inclusive and support diversity, or you aren't and you don't. It's not a difficult concept. It is 2012, not 1953. There is no excuse for any timidity or hesitation in regards to this content once they have taken a stand. They need to at least say or better still do something soon.

They have already lost players over this. Much more delay or second-class treatment and they will lose me (and Joveth, and Allison and community support people I have not met, I know you do not intend it that way, but honestly and truly, that is what it is and it is the result, not the intention, that counts). A shame, because I like SWTOR. I do. But I like myself better, and I can't justify paying money to be treated this way.

Edited by Uluain

Man, after a brief google search, I was really excited to discover that Bioware had been playing to implement SGCR into SWTOR... but then that excitement quickly led to disappointment after reading through a few pages of this thread. Mostly, I'm bummed that there haven't been any recent updates or news from Bioware letting us know that SGCR is still in the works. I really hope they haven't forgotten about it or scrapped it.

I'm just PRAYING that Bioware does include same gender relationships in Dragon Age 3: Inquisition. After how amazingly same sex friendly ME3 was, I would have thought for sure DA3 would, but after the lack of it or communication about it now I'm worried.

I got the impression it's probably 'hero-sexual' again, but I've nothing to back that up.

Edited by Palar

There has been a lot of questions from the newcomers in the thread, so I wanted to tell you guys to check out my SGR FAQ linked in my signature. Many of those questions can be answered there and I'll update it when we get some new information.

Here's the part of the FAQ regarding "herosexuality:"

11)Is this going to be like DA2?(aka everyone is bi/"herosexuality")

The developers, at the Guild Summit, stated that they have known from the beginning who was going to be available for SGRs. No more information has been given at the time of this writing, so we enjoy speculating about whom may be available when the SGR patch drops.

Sorry for the lack of information, but that's all I have at this time. :(

I also wanted to say to the new posters thanks for coming in and showing your support! The more posters that come in, the better chance we have of getting our voice heard. The silence on the part of the devs been frustrating, but the community of players in this thread has been great. :D

Edited by natashina

Off-topic, but a funny story I wanted to share with everyone. So last night, I was working on my Commando. He's in Coruscant atm, and I usually tune out any general chat while I'm questing. Anyhow, I was crafting in the Outlaw's Den when I noticed someone trying to troll in chat. It wasn't even good trolling, but rather sad. Amused, I took a minute to read. When no one responded to his/hers comments, they remarked that it was a sad thing that there was no real drama in ToR. They had tried the same thing on the Imp side, and got the same results. At least it was all spelled correctly. :rolleyes:

It said a lot to me about the level of maturity and dignity players in this game try to maintain in the light of such trolling.

Someone's sig on mmo-champ summed it up for me(edited slightly for language):

Arguing with a troll is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what you do or say, he will just knock over the pieces, take a crap on the board and strut around like he won the whole darn thing.

Edited by natashina

I really hope they haven't forgotten about it or scrapped it.

I guarantee you that there is no earthly way that they have forgotten about it, as I go to the trouble to remind them frequently. As far as scrapped, I doubt it. If they had, I am confident they would have said something along the lines of last September's announcement, leaning a little more towards "this is something we hope to revisit in the future, but at this time we don't have the resources to commit." Not quite "it's been scrapped" but more "it's been pitched into developer hell and may never see the light of day again".

Now, a lot of people are feeling that is actually where things are, but from what I have personally been told by the Community Team, and the terms in which it was stated, I am fairly certain that this is very much in the works, but they are not at liberty to talk about it.

That's pretty much the best case scenario, though a better one would be the Shadowy PR Overlords getting smote with a cosmic 2x4 and realizing that the gag rule is hurting much more than it is helping. Experience teaches me, however, that it is far easier to make a policy without thinking through the actual ramifications than it is to change a policy once it has taken root and become The Way We Do This, so I am not holding my breath.

Instead, I try to keep people up with what little we do know and otherwise make caustic but I hope useful criticisms.

So last night, I was crafting in the Outlaw's Den when I noticed someone trying to troll in chat. It wasn't even good trolling, but rather sad. Amused, I took a minute to read. When no one responded to his/hers comments, they remarked that it was a sad thing that there was no real drama in ToR. They had tried the same thing on the Imp side, and got the same results. At least it was all spelled correctly. :rolleyes:

It said a lot to me about the level of maturity and dignity players in this game try to maintain in the light of such trolling.

What server do you play on, Natashina? And what flavor is it (PvP, PvE, RP)? I always roll on RP servers because I do in fact roleplay, but also because I find the trolling much less prevalent. I have only ever seen phobic trolling on SWTOR once. :)

I have updated the FAQ with Uluain's list of questions(it'll be at the bottom before the closing statement.) I felt that his list covered many of the questions posters have been asking about for about a year now. I'll repost it when the thread is locked(it'll be at ~2000 posts from what I have been told,) and restarted. I'm really hoping for some more solid information by that point. I doubt it, but I'd like to think that could happen.