Will we be able to reroll existing characters in 7.0?

JediJabroni

When I first read about combat styles, my first thought was that my Imp Agent could now wield 2 blasters instead of a sniper rifle (which never made sense to me). A few other ideas came to mind, ideally for my existing characters.

But if I'm reading some threads on the topic right, this won't be an option? Only Force characters can switch to their darkside mirrors, but Tech can't? I don't understand why. After Chapter 3 they can select a second form and then switch, so the mechanics exist.. Why not let us switch up front with the Skill Mentor?

"reroll" to me means deleting a character and starting anew. You can always do that.

I think you mean reassigning existing combat styles. It remains to be seen how many more phases on PTS we'll have of 7.0 before it drops to see if anything changes, but right now, existing characters are locked into 1 additional combat style instead of customizing two.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Why not let us switch up front with the Skill Mentor?

Because it broke something. They didn't provide details, but as others have done, I'd vote for it being something to do with weapon differences. (Assassin <=> Shadow doesn't change your usable weapon types, but Sniper <=> Gunslinger does.)

It seems like a weak justification, given that your Sniper will be able to take Gunslinger as a second style, and then switch, but thirty-plus years as a professional developer have taught me not to assume anything about weird interactions inside large old codebases. (Or, frankly, in small new ones either...)

• 4 weeks later...

You will remain a Sniper on your first build, and have the freedom to choose ANY tech build for your second. Any means exactly that, ANY. You can be a Mercenary, Powertech, Operative, Vanguard or Commando, in DPS, Healer or Tanking roles. What you cannot be is a Force user.

Force Users will have the option to reset their force alignment on their primary combat style (Light for Republic and Dark for Sith) if it differs from normal. Then they will have the option to choose a second force user role, similar to how the Tech role works. Yes, a Sith can heave a T7 Droid, and a Jedi can shoot lightning. What they CANNOT do is be a tech user.

Keep in mind that you will not have the ability to add a second combat style until you complete your story class chapter 3, and there might be additional requirements to changing your force alignment.

I hope this helps

Keep in mind that you will not have the ability to add a second combat style until you complete your story class chapter 3, and there might be additional requirements to changing your force alignment.

You also have to be a subscriber two have two combat styles, which the OP is currently since they could post, but may not be true down the road.

• 4 weeks later...

Existing characters will be "stuck" with whatever their initial selection was. You chose Sniper? That character will remain a sniper, but can have a second build that can be any tech-using set.

New characters will be able to pick. You could re-roll the Agent and pick a Smuggler, BH, Trooper, or Agent set to start according to your preference, and still have a secondary set option to choose from as well.