Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Feldraeth
01.21.2015 , 07:13 AM | #5381
or we could cheat and use a search engine. It's #1196 posted on 25/08/2012.

Remember, even Heracles cheated on his 10 labours (5th). he diverted a river to wash out King Augeas' stables in a single night, thereby earning him a tenth of his herd. Augeas begrudgingly paid this but refused to count it as one of his ten labours, since Heracles had been paid. It's is one of the reasons why he had to do 12.

CapnJayde
01.21.2015 , 02:10 PM | #5382
Comments and Replies

Spoiler

Now for a story! Its also posted in my thread if any of you want a bit less confusion..:P

Title: What The Force Binds Together...
Prompt: Inheritance
Character: Taya Rand (JK) Annyala Rand (Mother)
Setting: Meditation Chambers in Senate Tower on Coruscant set after her Nightmares/Dreams post.
Spoilers: Jedi Knight Story Missions from Tython and Coruscant, mentioned only.

Spoiler
MJayde66, CapnJayde, Jaydzia, The Rand Legacy

AKHadeed
01.21.2015 , 11:03 PM | #5383
Spoiler

So my husband and I have been (as well as getting Zeedor and Angie through Rishi) leveling our Republic characters. A lot. These are our Jedi, Ophona and Omisthal. Ophona is my knight and a tank (like almost every toon I play I like tanking okay) and Omis is a shadow who throws a lot of rocks. Special thanks to my husbot for singularly ruining the end of Jedi act 2 with a well timed "I'm sorry, but you've thrown off the Emperor's groove" and causing me to laugh too hard to hear any of Scourge's lines.

Disclaimer: I dunno Jedi very well. HadeedAK probably caught anything horrible though. And if not, blame him.

Spoiler

Striges
01.22.2015 , 03:37 PM | #5384
@CapnJayde: I liked the image of Annyala’s mother coming out of the ocean of the Force. Despite being given to the Jedi as a child, eschewing connections and family, the Force has other plans. For everyone.

@AKHadeed: I enjoyed the interplay between the twins. Very much like a brother and sister. The idea that they complement each other, making up for each other’s shortcomings and being stronger together because of it, is a good one. I liked that there was an inherent danger as well--Ophona knew her brother influenced her mood, and not always for the better. Had to giggle at the “throwing rocks” comment. My best friend says his sage “abrades enemies to death” so I always see Force Project as sandblasting. (don’t get me started on the disco ball of doom)

CapnJayde
01.22.2015 , 06:31 PM | #5385
Spoiler

I always liked the idea of "force ghosts" as it were since the movies. My apologies on the confusion, Annyala is the mother of all the Rand sisters. I knew i should have gone over it again. :P I'm glad you enjoyed though!
MJayde66, CapnJayde, Jaydzia, The Rand Legacy

Mirdthestrill
01.22.2015 , 08:47 PM | #5386
Thank you everyone who liked my stories! Eyrie's Chronic Hero Syndrome has been going on for a very long time, and it's going to get her in trouble one of these days.

@Charmedseed- congrats on the boy! And yes, this actually happened to me over Christmas break, although it was Arrow, rather than CSI.

@Bright- As I said with the last one, WOW! I love reading these, and I'm pleased that I managed to make it on there a couple of times (3rd most prolific consular, one of the repeated names, and I believe the new inquisitor as well.) I had no idea I would show up at all. And now I know why the name Amurri seemed so familiar- I must have read it here. Sorry to whoever used that originally! Thanks again for doing this, it must have been a ton of work.

Comments, with more to come later:

Spoiler
I <3 alts!

Mirdthestrill
01.22.2015 , 11:34 PM | #5387
I'm back, with the rest of my comments and a story!

Spoiler

How come whenever something weird is going on in my romantic life, I end up writing about Mallena's? I never plan for it to turn out this way, it just does. Anyway, enjoy!

Title: Return to Duty
Prompt: Changes/New Paths
Characters: Mallena Dayne (trooper), Aric Jorgan, Elara Dorne
Length: 1,300 words
Spoilers: The opening conversation for Trooper Act 2

Index after Constant Interruption, of which this is a continuation

Spoiler

Note:

Spoiler
I <3 alts!

Striges
01.23.2015 , 10:52 AM | #5388
Another Friday, another prompt.

Week of January 23, 2015
Lifespan: A human in the Star Wars universe might easily live to 100 standard years. Wookiees live four times as long. Chiss, on the other hand, typically reach only 80, and Talz are luck to get to fifty. In a galaxy where beings of such differing lifespan can meet, interact, become friends, enemies, partners, or more, how do they deal with the knowledge that one of the pair will outlive the other? Perhaps by a significant amount? Does your character accept their (or a loved one’s) natural span or desire more? Were they reckless in their youth and less so in age, or the reverse? The Force is known to prolong lives--perhaps even to immortality or near-immortality. How does a character plan for that? This week, write about how your character approaches differences in expected lifespan.

And, as ever,

Night of the Living Prompt: Keep on using any prompt you like! Check out the list at http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...=7489974post=2 and http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...=7489991post=3 (yes, we’re up to two full posts!). Many thanks to Alaurin for maintaining these lists.

This week's featured NotLP:

Mea Culpa - Our characters have probably done a lot of wrong or perceived wrong, one way or another. Sometimes they think an apology is necessary. Sometimes they really don't. Sometimes they may want to apologize even when they didn't do anything. Sometimes the wronged party accepts it; sometimes they reject it; sometimes they're not there to hear it. Write about a time when your character or someone they know was prompted to apologize.

Got an idea for a prompt? Send me a pm!

frauzet
01.23.2015 , 01:04 PM | #5389
Comments and replies:
Spoiler
Author of "Trouble, Destiny and Other Complications" and the AU "Caught"
Participant of the "Short Fic Weekly Challlenge Thread!"
All my stories from TDaOC and SFWC in chronological order

Striges
01.23.2015 , 05:25 PM | #5390
Commentary!

@Mirdthestrill: I can only echo Frauzet’s comments on your promotion story. The in-game version is rough enough and Mallena has one heck of a complication. Like so many events in the Trooper story, it presents the player with a real-life kind of decision for their character. I don’t know that there’s any “correct” choice and I think that’s the point. I think Mallena’s reasoning is sound. Question is, will Aric accept it?