Remake of this game in the Unreal Engine?

kyledll

How would people feel if they remade this game in the Unreal Engine? If they brought it to the Unreal Engine, it would be a good choice as there are already so many things good with that particular engine. Plus the graphics alone would be astounding, they already used them in their most recent cinematic trailer, so it would be cool to see in the game. Also, considering what the engine is capable of, I suspect it would be easier for them to make the game in Unreal than with the current engine. Plus, Coruscant is good today, but I would love to see what they can do with the Unreal Engine.

everyone would love better graphics and an easier engine to work with, even the developers, but at that cost you may as well make a new game. I think WoW was the only MMO that completely remade their game using a new engine without replacing the game as a whole.

It's just too costly.

everyone would love better graphics and an easier engine to work with, even the developers, but at that cost you may as well make a new game. I think WoW was the only MMO that completely remade their game using a new engine without replacing the game as a whole.

It's just too costly.

WoW was never remade it from scratch. They just updated a few parts each expansion for new features until all the original code was replaced. ESO was sort of remade with the alpha client being Hero engine (same as SWTOR) and a brand-new engine for beta and the live game. FF14 was totally remade, but of course they shut down the game for a year to relaunch it. That's something that SWTOR would have greatly benefited, but EA wasn't about to spend that kind of money shortly after spending 200m to launch the original game. SWTOR could have been as successful as FF14 with the right leadership. SWTOR developers would probably love to do this, but their hands are tied by EA.

Edited by ThanderSnB

The game would look great if there was enough money to invest into doing all the assets and artwork again - testing all the items again.

It's a great dream but it's also not going to happen for this game.

Maybe whoever gets the rights for the next mmo can do that.

The game would look great if there was enough money to invest into doing all the assets and artwork again - testing all the items again.

It's a great dream but it's also not going to happen for this game.

Maybe whoever gets the rights for the next mmo can do that.

The assets and artwork are the least of their problems, unless they've lost the external source files(1) (e.g. stuff built in Maya or Blender or whatever) to recompile the assets into the new format.

The core SWTOR-to-engine link and the mission scripts, on the other hand, are likely to be a lost cause.

(1) Don't laugh. This sort of thing happens. At not my current employer, but the previous one, there a few compiled object files that couldn't be updated because the source code (Fortran, as it happened, but whatever) no longer existed. They did eventually bite the bullet and write new ones that worked the same, and kept the source code this time.

(1) Don't laugh. This sort of thing happens. At not my current employer, but the previous one, there a few compiled object files that couldn't be updated because the source code (Fortran, as it happened, but whatever) no longer existed. They did eventually bite the bullet and write new ones that worked the same, and kept the source code this time.

FORTRAN (FORmula TRANSlator) - there's word I haven't heard in a while. 🙂

Edited by JediQuaker

Do you have any other reasons for why the game should be remade beside graphics?

There is. I would like to see better gameplay in the style of the Star Wars Battlefront games for the Blaster combat and the type of Jedi Fallen Order for the Lightsaber Combat. With an additional mode for roleplay.

Do you have any other reasons for why the game should be remade beside graphics?

It would improve performance in group content areas like WZs and 16M operations and could revive the non-existing OWPvP by allowing the return of things like the original OWPvP area on Ilum that was removed due to performance limitations of the hero engine. It would also allow players to take advantage of technological advancements made during the last 10+ years.

Whether or not that financially viable is a different topic.

There is. I would like to see better gameplay in the style of the Star Wars Battlefront games for the Blaster combat and the type of Jedi Fallen Order for the Lightsaber Combat. With an additional mode for roleplay.

Who said those combat systems are “better?”

I would very, very much oppose this. Those are both fine games- but they are console games. I am playing a MMO, I want it to feel like a MMO.

This would just outright ruin every combat experience in the game.

I play as a tank. I enjoy tanking immensely. What role is there for me, in an Operation, if I was forced to play as a reskinned Cal Kestis?

Edited by Anysao

Who said those combat systems are “better?”

I would very, very much oppose this. Those are both fine games- but they are console games. I am playing a MMO, I want it to feel like a MMO.

This would just outright ruin every combat experience in the game.

I play as a tank. I enjoy tanking immensely. What role is there for me, in an Operation, if I was forced to play as a reskinned Cal Kestis?

Good point but at the very least have the animations look like actual Star Wars lightsaber duel

How would people feel if they remade this game in the Unreal Engine? If they brought it to the Unreal Engine, it would be a good choice as there are already so many things good with that particular engine. Plus the graphics alone would be astounding, they already used them in their most recent cinematic trailer, so it would be cool to see in the game. Also, considering what the engine is capable of, I suspect it would be easier for them to make the game in Unreal than with the current engine. Plus, Coruscant is good today, but I would love to see what they can do with the Unreal Engine.

+1 Would~ be nice. More investments in this game is something we haven't seen in a long time; as much as it sounds wonderful, I'm not holding my breath. At the very least, never say never, I suppose.

• Like 1