Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

And I do not mean the same copy paste message that gets thrown onto every topic that discusses this, I mean no offense to the admins but a bit of clarification would be nice.

Things to clarify:

1 - A rough eta on same sex relationships (flirting ect) Were not after a nailed down etched in stone, be all end all date, Just a rough idea. A week/Month maybe 3 ect ?

2 - Those that happen to pick the "wrong" gender at creation are currently missing out with regards to there story arc, In my example Female sentinel missing out with Kira. There are 2 ways I see to fix this.

2a - Re-write those sections to include the same options for both genders and allow players already past to "Redo" there conversations. (Bit difficult and a lot of reworking)

2b - Create equivalent content for same gender romance at level 50 (or once the CURRENT story arc is finished) So by the end of it EVERYONE has had the same options REGARDLESS of the gender they chose.

3 - This is more of a given I think, but will there be more customization options for your companions. For example something to just change your companions hair color or skin tone. (I say its a given because its something so obvious that can be expanded upon and require very little work)

These are the questions to the Developers.

My question to the forum baring in mind we already know more companions are coming with these options enabled already.

Witch do you prefer option 2a or option 2b ?

Ps - Due to threads being closed due to flame wars ect, please keep it civil and just ignore/report those that attempt to start one, And please stay on topic. I will update a count of witch is preferred every 2 days or so. (WTB poll option)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

------Reserved for poll results

Witch is preferred option 2a or 2b in the above post.

I THINK ITS A LANDSLIDE VICTORY

Option 2a - 24

Option 2b - 7

Option 3 - 1

It has come to my attention that there appears to be a THIRD option so I am Including it here rather than the main post.

OPTION 3 (Its all becomes clear please read)

FIRST - At the character creation screen, just after you select your gender you get to pick your ROMANCE PREFERENCE.

Straight - Male > Female or Male > Female, romance options (You can ONLY romance the opposite sex)

Bi - Male > Male, Female > Female, Male > Female, Female > Male, (You can romance ANYONE that is romancable)

Homosexual/Lesbian - Male > Male, Female > Female. (Only those of the same sex)

Asexual (I think thats the right word) - No Romance options ever appear.

SECONDLY - Make EVERY single romancable companion BISEXUAL, This is crucial for this to work and you will see why in a moment.

THIRDLY - When the romance options normally appear the game does a quick check to see the characters preference and acts accordingly.

FORTH and FINAL - Reset EVERY ONES companion quests to the beginning, Not only would this put EVERYONE on the same page, But also allow those that wish to to record (using fraps or whatever) there own little companion story if they wish.

Unless I am very much mistaken Very little or even No dialog actually need to change, (Unless there is specific gender references any of the conversations. (ie one calling the other boy/guy or girl/woman. And even if there is it would take all of what 2 min to record an appropriate line.

This allows....

Those that do not wish to "See" the options able to toggle them off at creation, Or heck they can get rid of the romances altogether if they so desire.

------------Witch ones---------------

It has come to my attention that there are some people that belive only certain ones should be Bi/gay so simple question witch ones. (Ill try to keep up with you lot :p)

Kira Carsen

Doc

Zenith

LT Iresso

Theran Cedrex

Nadia Grell

Andronikus Revel

Ashara Zavros

Vette

Jaesa Willsaam

Malavi Quinn

LT Pierce

Aric Jorgan

Elara Dorne

Corso Riggs

Risha

Alcavi Spaar

Mako

Torian Caldera

Kaliyo Djannis

Vector Hyllis

Ensign Raia Temple

Take from http://www.hotrodacc.com/swtor/comp.html, If I missed one let me know.

Vote away.

• 1 month later...

Greetings folks!

Please remember, this thread is for discussing same-gender romances in Star Wars™: The Old Republic™. Please keep discussions game related! Discussions regarding real life politics, morality and religion do not belong in this thread or anywhere else on the forums. All replies must be on-topic, constructive and respectful or they will be removed.

Our official statement:

Official statement follows:

Due to the design constraints of a fully voiced MMO of this scale and size, many choices had to be made as to the launch and post-launch feature set. Same gender romances with companion characters in
Star Wars:
The Old Republic will be a post-launch feature. Because The Old Republic is an MMO, the game will live on through content expansions which allow us to include content and features that could not be included at launch, including the addition of more companion characters who will have additional romance options.

As a gentle reminder to everyone, please remember the following:

• Insults - Please do not resort to or use them in any way in your posts. Posts should be productive, not destructive.
  • Trolling - Please do not post messages that are purposefully designed to provoke, antagonize, or otherwise elicit a negative emotional response.
  • Agree to Disagree - Be respectful of others' viewpoints even if they are opposite of your own. Discuss disagreements constructively.
  • Flag, Don't Fight - Utilize the Flag Post feature to report possible rules violations, rather than responding to or fighting them.
  • Ignoring - If you feel you simply cannot get along with another community member, please place them on your ignore list.

The previous version, which reached the 1,000 post threshold, may be found here.

For anyone who wishes to discuss [Flirt] options, please do know that we also have a thread for that discussion in the Suggestion Box.

Thank you!

Hooray for a new thread! We got to 104 pages in the last one, it'll be interesting to see how far we'll get in this one.

And I think I agree, I think Watcher Two would make a good companion. I'd dig having Lord Praven, too. Maybe not for a DK companion, thugh - they already have a Sith Pureblood boy to run about with.

Hooray for a new thread! We got to 104 pages in the last one, it'll be interesting to see how far we'll get in this one.

And I think I agree, I think Watcher Two would make a good companion. I'd dig having Lord Praven, too. Maybe not for a DK companion, thugh - they already have a Sith Pureblood boy to run about with.

What I wouldn't give to recruit Hunter with my Agent in the end. Watcher Two would be fun, but she is your boss.

Lord Praven was awesome; just met him for the first time last night, and I have to agree, that would make a great romance for the Knight. The tension between their backgrounds, learning to look past the 'this is my sworn enemy' thing and trust one another/find common ground... you could do a lot with that. Even if not, he should still be a companion!

eta: though let me just remind us all to watch out for spoilers; I'm only at Tatooine on my Knight/Agent, personally, and while I know some of what happens later on... well, I just got spoiled on the Inquisitor quest, and I'd hate for anyone else to have that happen :(

Edited by sparklecat

Sweet, new digs!

So I've been thinking about the kind of characters I want. My favorite (and head canon) DA2 romance was and always will be male mage Hawke and Fenris. There is something about love and affection overcoming politics, personality and prejudice to such an extent. It's just incredibly rewarding for me to throw two opposite people at each other and see what happens.

For my Smuggler, there's pretty much only one. Corso or no one. If it turns out we don't get him I'll just leave that character in his slightly unhappy universe. Nothing good can come of it without the sweet love of a farmboy.

I think my Consulars would be fine with anyone along the Zenith/Qyzen line - hard people who have no use for Jedi crap but fall for the reluctant hero anyway. Banter and clashing philosophies and everyone ready to sacrifice for the greater good. Epic!

Trooper, hell, I think my adorable little Cpt. America is already pretty smitten with the kitten. But anyone sort of gruff and with a mountain of trust issues. A galactic vagabond may work well, someone with a sharp, sarcastic tongue to temper some of my Trooper's idealism.

I have to admit though, most of the characters I have already have the perfect love interest - the current companions work pretty well for me in that regard, now I just need them to be actually available :(

I have to admit though, most of the characters I have already have the perfect love interest - the current companions work pretty well for me in that regard, now I just need them to be actually available :(

Same here, all the companions I've already met so far are perfect for each character i'm playing, although how my agent will ever choose between Kaliyo, Temple and Watcher Two is anybody's guess, talk about kid in a sweet shop hehe:D

That's not to say I wouldn't be interested in future companions. One of Bioware's strengths is in the chracters it creates. Playing Origins I couldn't imagine anyone better than Leliana, then along came Isabela and Merrill. :cool:

I received a reply to an email I sent to feedbackswtor@swtor.com which apparently was sent on to Customer Service for a response.

First off, it was decidedly not a canned answer (I did receive an answer at the same time which was canned, in game as if in reply to a ticket, from someone else entirely who pointed me at the Suggestion Box forum, but I digress). The CS Rep who replied by email was at pains to reassure me that same-gender content is still very much on-track for future implementation and apologized that she could not be any more specific.

Here is an excerpt of that email. The bold font is my own emphasis of points I think worth noting especially:

We do appreciate your concerns and value you your suggestions on this topic, and we want to assure you that these concerns are actively being looked into because it is something we will be incorporating into the game.

We encourage you to continue post in the Q&A thread, however, as the Community team may be able to provide you with further information from the developers on the subject. Although not all questions will be answered directly in the Q&A blog, hot issues such as these are still at the attention of developers.

We sincerely thank you for your support and passion for this game and BioWare. There is a lot to look forward to in the next update, and same gender romance is a future aspect of the game that our developers are currently working on.

This isn't stock writing. It is good customer service writing, certainly, but it is also substantive.

One, she told me flat out that the topic of same-gender content is not something waiting for someone to notice it. It is being explored right now. We may reasonably suppose that regardless of what they are not willing to say, they are reading what we have to say.

Secondly, again while she cannot promise a reply this or any other week, I was encouraged to continue to ask in the Q&A thread. My email went out last Friday, after we had two Q&A replies without any answer. But the reply came today, the day after they had finished up this week's Q&A thread for consideration.

So no - they are not asking us not to ask, even if some community members here have seemed a little upset at our persistence.

Thirdly, even if they aren't answering this week, having spoken up has demonstrated plainly that this content has a lot of player interest. It's good to know that we do in fact have their attention.

And while she couldn't promise we will see an answer in the Q&A blog, neither did she say it isn't going to happen. In fact, she said that it's something they may answer.

Finally, for the second time (I forget who mentioned it before, maybe jediknightcub) an email from CS has stated in so many words that same gender content is currently in development. So it isn't something that is on the back-burner waiting for a slow stretch in the studio. Same-gender content is being worked on now.

Good news, I think, even if we don't hear anything more this Friday. It has not been abandoned, it is currently in the works, and yes they certainly have noticed that it is something that matters to a fair number of players. :)

and EDIT to reply to a post above:

I thought he sounded like he was going to eat the baby, personally.

"Hmmm, a flesh-raider baby...om nom nom."

LOL!

Yes, I can totally see that.

But I meant relative to, oh, the aliens who either just sound human or else speak Huttese, I like the Cathar voicing.

Edited by Uluain

Uluain, between that email and a private message I've received on BSN, I am incredibly heartened. I agree that we should keep asking for something a little more substantive than that so as to be able to make more informed choices in our play and give more substantial feedback also, but this is good.

I think I might actually resub after all, at least for another month, as soon as I can figure out my finances :D

That's excellent news, Uluain, and I'm very happy to hear it.

That said, it's news that should have been given to all of us earlier on, not to one person in an email while other people were being told there would be no further comment on this issue, full stop. I sincerely hope that this is a sign of things to come; open, substantive communication from Bioware on this topic.

Back on the topic of which characters we'd like added (just for flirting, even), I thought of two more: Sith pureblood chick who's there to kick off the Nar Shaddaa bonus series for the Imperial side (I'd bet almost anything she was a flirt option for males, in fact), and... Lord Whatshisface, the guy on Taris who refuses to speak to you for most of his quest chain and then bemoans the fact that he's apparently the only competent Sith in the galaxy. My warrior felt they had a lot in common!

I think I might actually resub after all, at least for another month, as soon as I can figure out my finances :D

This, so much. I'm not completely satisfied with the current answer that you just got, Ulu, but it is enough of a show of good faith that I'm willing to keep waiting a bit longer for more details to emerge. I'll likely keep my subscription going for another two months or so after it runs out in March, and if they say anything more in that time-span, I'm sure I'll stay hooked. :D

See? Was that so hard Bioware? :cool: I want to hug that representative.

Sith pureblood chick who's there to kick off the Nar Shaddaa bonus series for the Imperial side (I'd bet almost anything she was a flirt option for males, in fact), and...

You win the bet! She is both a flirt option and fade-to-black option at the end of the bonus series...

I, of course, would love to see Thana Vesh as a companion and romance option. Not just for an inquisitor either, but really any Empire faction character.

That's excellent news, Uluain, and I'm very happy to hear it.

That said, it's news that should have been given to all of us earlier on, not to one person in an email while other people were being told there would be no further comment on this issue, full stop. I sincerely hope that this is a sign of things to come; open, substantive communication from Bioware on this topic.

I hope so, too. And is is a sign of things to come. It is just hard to anticipate how soon. Here's another bit, from the lead paragraph of the email amongst the "thanks for contacting us" stuff:

The information on this topic is very limited at the moment as it is a future, but not current, content feature. When we are closer to the release of this content further information will be available.

Again, emphasis mine.

Yes, they might have said something similar to us all sooner. They may say something similar to us on Friday. I don't know.

But, seeing as this is coming now, after our showing in this week's Q&A thread, I think that there is an effort to say as much as they can where they can. If indeed they are following these topics, then they certainly know that we keep each other informed.

I am pretty sure that I got that reply so that I could bring it here, and try to let off some of the pressure. And you know, given those assurances, I do feel our point has gotten across and I for one don't feel as frustrated or as grimly determined to push as hard as I can (and I have not yet had to push as hard as I can - I was just getting warmed up ;)).

And on to possible future companions...

I can't think of any Republic side NPCs I see for more than a mission or two that have really caught my attention in that way. A SIS-type might make an interesting companion for any class, and there's one on Coruscant for whom you retrieve Justicar shipping manifests who I wouldn't mind getting to know better.

Then again, I haven't progressed that far. I am levelling my alts by turn, and my main is still on Alderaan, so maybe there are more interesting NPCs to come.

We'll see if they answer our question(s) in the Q&A thread this friday. While my sub doesn't depend on their answer, I AM really curious and eager to find out what they intend to do with the SGRA stuff.

C'mon, Bioware, I wanna romance Vette and Mako and Dorne! :D

Here is an excerpt from a response I received yesterday from customer support:

We can assure you that our Community Team does care about all members of the Community for our game and if the GLBT members of the Community felt ignored, it was certainly not intended. As mentioned in the statements, our developers have every intention of implementing same gender romance in the game. As far as this is concerned, our Customer Support team cannot provide any further information on the topic.

You are welcome to post in the Q&A thread, however, as the Community team may be able to provide you with further information from the developers on the subject.

Thank you so much for your passion and interest in the game. There is a lot to look forward to in the next update, and same gender romance is a future aspect of the game that our developers are currently working on. We hope that you continue to post in the forums and provide us with your valuable feedback on this topic. Our developers are listening to you!

The customer service representative was wonderful. She has singlehandedly managed to convince me to retain my subscription for a while longer despite a truly lackluster Community Team response.

However, as sparklecat stated:

That said, it's news that should have been given to all of us earlier on, not to one person in an email while other people were being told there would be no further comment on this issue, full stop.

In keeping with that theme, here is an excerpt of my response to her:

You wrote:

"if the GLBT members of the Community felt ignored, it was certainly not intended."

I respectfully disagree. If Bioware is indeed reading our posts, is aware of our requests for information, is aware of the level of hostility brewing in the various threads asking for information, and is yet still instructing customer service representatives to refer us to a post made by Stephen Reid that no longer even exists in its original form and tell us that this statement is the only statement that will be made...then their decision not to engage the GLBT community is pretty darn intentional.

[Removed CR,s name], I know that you, personally, cannot tell me anything to alleviate my concerns. I hope you do not in any way feel that this means I think that your involvement in this matter is inconsequential. Nothing could be further from the truth. Your efforts have managed to convince me to retain my subscription for at least a while longer, while I wait to see if the Community Team (or their superiors) can be persuaded to reach out to its GLBT players, or whether it intends to continue to rely on its customer service representatives to do so in secret.

Best wishes,

So while I'm pleased that SGRA's *seem* to be on track ( if customer support information is reliable), I'm still left feeling a bit put-off that Bioware has required us to jump through all these hoops to get what small amount of information we have obtained, and is taking a hands-off approach and just expecting the individuals who have received responses from emails to take on the responsibility of communicating this information for them.

I feel like they kinda sorta wanna support us, as long as they don't have to say it out loud and in public. Um, thanks. Kinda feeling like someone's "dirtly little secret" about right now. :rolleyes:

However, in the larger scope of SGRA content, it is somewhat encouraging.

Edited by mrcaptainpants

I can't think of any Republic side NPCs I see for more than a mission or two that have really caught my attention in that way. A SIS-type might make an interesting companion for any class, and there's one on Coruscant for whom you retrieve Justicar shipping manifests who I wouldn't mind getting to know better.

Then again, I haven't progressed that far. I am levelling my alts by turn, and my main is still on Alderaan, so maybe there are more interesting NPCs to come.

Got a Knight who's been through Tatooine yet?

Got a Knight who's been through Tatooine yet?

A Knight? No. My main is a Consular. My Sentinel right now is sitting on her ship because I'm not ready to face Taris again yet. :rolleyes:

Good stuff there? At least on Tattoine I at least get to look at the Thunderdome guys.

A Knight? No. My main is a Consular. My Sentinel right now is sitting on her ship because I'm not ready to face Taris again yet. :rolleyes:

Good stuff there? At least on Tattoine I at least get to look at the Thunderdome guys.

Taris is so much better from the Empire side, in large part due to being able to speeder past most of the rakghouls. Also, awesome NPCs along the way, like the aforementioned Thana Vesh.

Tatooine has Lord Praven in the Knight's class quest, whom I briefly mentioned earlier. You have one conversation with him, and he became one of my favourite NPCs. Other than that, it has sand. And sand people. And sandcrawlers with datacrons sitting on top of them you have to ride balloons to reach. Also a sand demon!