Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?

ZenMondo's Avatar


ZenMondo
03.01.2012 , 05:43 PM | #861
Quote: Originally Posted by Calimwulf View Post
One of the problems with mixing game features with social issues is this, what if I wanted the addition of responding violently to a specific type gender flirt from an NPC? That is certainly realistic and might actually add to the story, especially if an NPC is programmed to respond that way, but would it be acceptable to those that are espousing freedom of choice? Such violence is distasteful, but the poignancy and learning experience from a story perspective certainly exists.
I must say that some of the Darkside choices are distasteful, but a response of inflicting violence for a pass is really beyond the pale. I am all for living out your fantasies of Galactic Domination or what have you but to turn a flirt into an excuse for violence hits a little too close to home for someone living in Matthew Sheppard's hometown.

Not the only Bisexual in space -- get used to it.

AquaSky's Avatar


AquaSky
03.01.2012 , 05:44 PM | #862
The heart of the matter seems to be that anti-toggle/selection folks are upset because they feel that having a method to select orientation will mainly be used to filter SGR options, that it's trying to pretend homosexuality doesn't exist. The pro-toggle/selection crowd wants some kind of method by which they can customize their prompts, for various reasons that run the gamut (some are uncomfortable with the idea of being hit on by same-sex NPCs, some just don't plan on utilizing the SGR options and would rather not be prompted for it).

I don't think it's okay to throw around words like "bigoted" just because a person doesn't want to explore SGR content. Everyone's entitled to their own sexual preferences, and those often extend to the character they're playing. But often it seems like some users aren't just advocating for the SGR content they want, but want it implemented in a way that maximizes exposure, even at the cost of making some players uncomfortable. They can say "Well, too bad, that's their problem", but in reality an MMO is about making the game enjoyable for the entire player base. And if that means letting people choose which options they're shown, then so be it. How one player chooses to customize his gameplay experience doesn't affect me, you, or the next guy.

Xeres_Ajani's Avatar


Xeres_Ajani
03.01.2012 , 05:51 PM | #863
I'm not sure what gender Khem is but my Inquisitor wants him, in bed, like now

emusan's Avatar


emusan
03.01.2012 , 06:02 PM | #864
Quote: Originally Posted by AquaSky View Post
Everyone's entitled to their own sexual preferences, and those often extend to the character they're playing. But often it seems like some users aren't just advocating for the SGR content they want, but want it implemented in a way that maximizes exposure, even at the cost of making some players uncomfortable.
Everyone pushing for same gender content in this thread and elsewhere wants it implemented just the same as opposite gender, no more and no less(in terms of exposure or whatever else you want).

Rayla_Felana's Avatar


Rayla_Felana
03.01.2012 , 06:05 PM | #865
Quote: Originally Posted by AquaSky View Post
The heart of the matter seems to be that anti-toggle/selection folks are upset because they feel that having a method to select orientation will mainly be used to filter SGR options, that it's trying to pretend homosexuality doesn't exist. The pro-toggle/selection crowd wants some kind of method by which they can customize their prompts, for various reasons that run the gamut (some are uncomfortable with the idea of being hit on by same-sex NPCs, some just don't plan on utilizing the SGR options and would rather not be prompted for it).

I don't think it's okay to throw around words like "bigoted" just because a person doesn't want to explore SGR content. Everyone's entitled to their own sexual preferences, and those often extend to the character they're playing. But often it seems like some users aren't just advocating for the SGR content they want, but want it implemented in a way that maximizes exposure, even at the cost of making some players uncomfortable. They can say "Well, too bad, that's their problem", but in reality an MMO is about making the game enjoyable for the entire player base. And if that means letting people choose which options they're shown, then so be it. How one player chooses to customize his gameplay experience doesn't affect me, you, or the next guy.
The biggest problem for the Pro argument is that first of all, if SG content gets a toggle, why not the more extreme violent scenes? why not black lightsabers? why not so many other things that some people may find offensive/hurts immersion/etc...

Second of all, Stephen Reid's final statement on the matter made it very clear that in no way will anyone be tricked into SGRAs, the way he worded the whole thing sounded very much like they have zero intentions for such a thing to be done.

ZenMondo's Avatar


ZenMondo
03.01.2012 , 06:17 PM | #866
Who wants to start a pool as to when this thread will be closed and the 4th version started? Maybe someone with better oddsmaking facilities can put a weight for before or after tomorrow's Q&A Blog.

Not the only Bisexual in space -- get used to it.

emusan's Avatar


emusan
03.01.2012 , 06:26 PM | #867
Quote: Originally Posted by ZenMondo View Post
Who wants to start a pool as to when this thread will be closed and the 4th version started? Maybe someone with better oddsmaking facilities can put a weight for before or after tomorrow's Q&A Blog.
well they close when they get to 1000 posts I think, and mine should be ~878/879, so probably some time tomorrow or early Saturday, though really the posting hasn't been too consistent lately...

AquaSky's Avatar


AquaSky
03.01.2012 , 06:31 PM | #868
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post
The biggest problem for the Pro argument is that first of all, if SG content gets a toggle, why not the more extreme violent scenes? why not black lightsabers? why not so many other things that some people may find offensive/hurts immersion/etc...

Second of all, Stephen Reid's final statement on the matter made it very clear that in no way will anyone be tricked into SGRAs, the way he worded the whole thing sounded very much like they have zero intentions for such a thing to be done.
It depends on who you ask. For myself, it's not a matter of finding SGR offensive, I'm just not into ladies. I'd rather be able to skip the girl prompts by clicking once than to just not use it every time it comes up. In that respect, I think it's like making any other character setting (race, gender, appearance) that we should be able to customize, since sexuality is less fluid than morality or personality. And it still lets those who want to experience all of the prompts do so. It seems like the best compromise, to be honest.

emusan's Avatar


emusan
03.01.2012 , 06:37 PM | #869
Quote: Originally Posted by AquaSky View Post
It depends on who you ask. For myself, it's not a matter of finding SGR offensive, I'm just not into ladies. I'd rather be able to skip the girl prompts by clicking once than to just not use it every time it comes up. In that respect, I think it's like making any other character setting (race, gender, appearance) that we should be able to customize, since sexuality is less fluid than morality or personality. And it still lets those who want to experience all of the prompts do so. It seems like the best compromise, to be honest.
Why have those that are not interested in opposite gender content not had that option? Why is it that this topic only comes up and gets support when the idea of same gender relationships is put on the table?

I'm guessing if they add characters they will only try to flirt with you at most twice, if at all, it's not like you will be bombarded with thousands of prompts(I get very few as my bounty hunter, can't say much about any other classes right now though).

Also, not meaning to sound rude, but have you read through the last ~3-4 pages in which the lack of fluidity that you bring up is discussed at length?

ZenMondo's Avatar


ZenMondo
03.01.2012 , 06:40 PM | #870
I have to wonder what it is that make people think a compromise of any kind is needed.

Romance is part of the game. No part of the storyline based aspects of the game is opt-out, the storylines have many branches some of which you will never see, but it all boils down to choice.

Now if romance was to be part of the game, it makes no sane sense in 2012 to put out an interactive medium with a "Gays need not apply" sign in the window. But that is the situation that we have, one that we have been assured will be remedied "post launch".

I have oft seen the argument of how SGRAs are only wanted by a "small minority" but they never seem to see that those in favor of the "no gays filter" is even smaller...

Not the only Bisexual in space -- get used to it.