Are the old bugs ever getting fixed?

Dasset

It frustrates me at times that the old typical bugs have not been fixed to improve the game experience in swtor.

I'm talking about the camera sensitivity bug, character-terrain-collision bugs/lags, UI and animation bugs when using abilities too fast, etc... Problems that have been in the game forever and influence the gaming experience for everyone.

How come they are never getting fixed? :rak_02:

And what about improvements to the UI with more options in the editor? Would love a slider for hp-bar-thickness etc. There is plenty of other gameplay or UI-related things that could be improved. Just seems like development in some core areas is stagnant. How come? :(

New content is always cool, but zero time or effort put into these areas just makes the game feel older and stagnant. Kinda lazy in a way.

The short answer is no, they aren’t fixing the oldest bugs. With the caveat that they do seem to occasionally fix some if it corresponds with another newer part of the game.

From a players perspective it feels like they gave up fixing bugs a long time ago. Even new game breaking bugs can take months or years to fix. It really is unacceptable, but that’s BioWare. Most of us have learnt to live with it or unsubscribed in disgust.

Some of the "bugs" you mention are more related to network connection/lag issues, and the way in which the game handles network traffic. There's only so much BW can do to make sure all the battle animations for all the players match up to a particular players ping rate.

And, of course, wanting UI changes is not related to bugs.

As I said in another thread - there are bigger, better bugs to worry about. 😇

And, of course, wanting UI changes is not related to bugs.

I'm aware of that. Just saying it's been a decade and they haven't really developed and improved much in the UI department. :(

I have also found that some people get frustrated scream it's a bug to only find they failed to understand how something works and have not been doing something correctly.

I'm pretty sure I know how riding a mount or just moving around works, and that getting stuck in terrain is not an intended feature. :rolleyes:

Sucks that the developers either 1) don't get enough resources to have people working on bugs or 2) don't love the game enough to make it better.

They have fixed the group members area loot bug. Where only the first person to loot a batch of dead npcs would have the area loot function work. Everyone else would have to loot every single corpse separately. This was a major frustration to the group I play with. So I’m much happier these days.

Some of the "bugs" you mention are more related to network connection/lag issues, and the way in which the game handles network traffic. There's only so much BW can do to make sure all the battle animations for all the players match up to a particular players ping rate.

Pretty much this.

OP, are you sure this isn't on your end? You can't expect the game to run well if you have 400 ping to the server.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

Fixing bugs would involve diverting resources ($) from creating cartel items.

That's not how profits work my friend.

Correction: that's not how *short-term* profits work. There's a reason that WoW and FFXIV dominate the marketplace and SWTOR does not...and it's not the lore. If anything, SWTOR has a huge advantage there and could easily be the far superior game.

Edited by Galbsadi

I'll toss some bugs out there that I've given up on ever seeing fixed!

Default Vector & Scourge not having skin textures.

Cartel sets that lose skin textures in cut-scenes. (Ex. fingerless gloves that turn into black tipped gloves. Short skirts that show as skirt over leggings.)

Gear showing as the wrong faction on companions in cut-scenes.

Companion color matching not working in cut-scenes.

And the one that I quit for 9 months over because Bioware wouldn't even acknowledge is a bug.

Romanced, happy, living Koth killed by launching Ossus.

Happy, living Arcann killed by launching Ossus, but Senya still alive.

For a game with such a huge content, which is still evolving, most bugs are really meaningless, they really are not worth to bother. SWTOR is an old game, but still brings profit to the makers which is good. I keep subscribing and trying to get the most of the game pros, while closing eyes for the cons. I want to believe that BW works towards some improvements and fixes, but I understand they cannot fix all. Some bugs are cute other irritating, it's wise to live to it, and get the most of this wonderful game. Thank you.

It has been almost a year that the mission granting NPC's on Onderon have been dodgy. This game will shut down and that bug on Jadus' ship at the end of chapter 1 will still be there. In answer to your question, OP, no, there are a number of bugs that will never, ever get fixed.

For a game with such a huge content, which is still evolving, most bugs are really meaningless, they really are not worth to bother. SWTOR is an old game, but still brings profit to the makers which is good. I keep subscribing and trying to get the most of the game pros, while closing eyes for the cons. I want to believe that BW works towards some improvements and fixes, but I understand they cannot fix all. Some bugs are cute other irritating, it's wise to live to it, and get the most of this wonderful game. Thank you.

That's not a reason to not fix bugs. WoW fixes their bugs, and they've been around nearly a decade longer than SWTOR. FFXIV fixes their bugs (in fact, they literally rebooted the entire game b/c of 1.0 bugs), and they're now the #1 MMO out there as a result. ESO fixes (most of) their bugs. This "you should just deal with it" attitude leads to games never improving, never really succeeding. Do you want this game to never thrive? Because that's what you're asking people to allow.

Edited by Galbsadi

That's not a reason to not fix bugs. WoW fixes their bugs, and they've been around nearly a decade longer than SWTOR. FFXIV fixes their bugs (in fact, they literally rebooted the entire game b/c of 1.0 bugs), and they're now the #1 MMO out there as a result. ESO fixes (most of) their bugs. This "you should just deal with it" attitude leads to games never improving, never really succeeding. Do you want this game to never thrive? Because that's what you're asking people to allow.

No one really disagrees with that.

But those of us who’ve been here the longest know that BioWare can’t fix many of the bugs because the old coders have left and the game is built on a Frankensteined customised Hero engine. Its why so many new things break old and seemingly unrelated parts of the game. It’s also why they have trouble changing or implementing the simplest QOL things if it’s old code.

We’ve just come to accept that Bioware don’t have the resources or the people to fix most of the old bugs or even understand how new changes break old content.

Remember that FFXIV and WoW run full subscription models and paid for expansions. Swtor is free expansions for subs and cash shop for Free to play (so much less income). EA also run swtor on the smell of an oily rag and take out most of the profits the game makes for other projects, shareholders and excessive executive remuneration.

Face it, if this game didn’t have the Star Wars IP propping it up, it would have failed miserably years ago from neglect.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I'll toss some bugs out there that I've given up on ever seeing fixed!

Default Vector & Scourge not having skin textures.

Cartel sets that lose skin textures in cut-scenes. (Ex. fingerless gloves that turn into black tipped gloves. Short skirts that show as skirt over leggings.)

Gear showing as the wrong faction on companions in cut-scenes.

Companion color matching not working in cut-scenes.

And the one that I quit for 9 months over because Bioware wouldn't even acknowledge is a bug.

Romanced, happy, living Koth killed by launching Ossus.

Happy, living Arcann killed by launching Ossus, but Senya still alive.

In Fallen Empire Koth's crew appears on the Gravestone in the chapter before you meet them in Asylum.

In War For Iokath when you complete the droid mission moving the blue energy balls you remain as the droid in that room. You have to log out and log back in to continue the game.

In Spirit Of Vengeance, after defeating the third boss you need to click the shiny to run the cinematic that shows you traveling to another ship to continue the game. When it is over you are still in the same room where you fought the third boss and the shiny is still shiny. Clicking it again only shows the cinematic again, and you're still where you fought the third boss. You have to log out and log back in to continue playing on the other ship, and even then you need to hit the esc key a few times before the game acknowledges your existence and you can move your character.

In Shadow Of Revan when fighting Revan, the first time your friends are sent spinning at the pillars sometimes you don't see Theron. If you can't find him you can still free everyone else and wait for the game to free him. If you do find him he is spinning a significant distance behind a pillar. To free Theron you take the appropriate color ball to the pillar he should have been spinning against.

In Eternal Throne, if you choose to save Vette either you or your Companion will aggro the bad guys surrounding Vette whom you are supposed to kill as a separate quest goal. You have to kill them before the game gives you that goal because of the aggro. When the quest is given there are no bad guys to kill, so you cannot continue the game. You have to log out and log back in to do the entire rescue mission again. This time you don't aggro the bad guys surrounding Vette.

Don't get me started...

Lady of Sorrow chapter doesn't change your level to 70 in the instance - not sure when it started but it's been going on for a year

I am STILL missing crafting missions while leveling, and missing the grade 6 rich artifact fragment mission even at 700 archeology.

Koth's crew is still in the Gravestone before you pick them up...

Probably doesn't help that posts get ignored when you post in the bug section too.

I'm talking about the camera sensitivity bug

You can make this better by editing a text file. The file is in Users\(your windows user name)\appdata\local\swtor\swtor\settings and your account name_account.ini There is a line called Controls_camerarotationspeed= change that to a smaller number and it will slow camera rotation which will help eliminate camera flipping.

I agree that they should do more to fix these long running issues, seems to me for this one it should be easy to reduce where 0 is on the camera slider in game, and allow the slider to move up more. I have an ultrawide monitor which they don't properly support, it causes a lot of lighting issues. hitting an action and getting the universal CD on the ability bar when nothing actually happened is also a terrible bug that has been around forever, and when they changed the Social Bar they were told it wasn't locking in place properly and that still isn't fixed.

They did fix a bug relating to sending mail in game to an alt (it used to give an erroneous message as you'd send each item in the mail which made mailing items a real pain) earlier in the year...it was only broken for about 8 years so yes they do fix old bugs sometimes but it can be a horrible wait.

There is one bug that is ruining it for me in the long run and that is my camera just shoots off in a direction. It happens anytime and frequently which is unacceptable for me personally, especially in PVP and could make you distracted/disoriented enough to lose a game.

I also have some perfomance issues that makes it unplayable sometimes, that I'm trying to fix.

The UI customisation is cool, but it could need some fixing. For example I have sorted and split my chat windows so that

system messages, like yellow text and guild announcement, are separate from chat. I would like to be able to set my default typing window and lock the other. When I press enter it's always not my chat chat-window that activates. If I could lock it I wouldn't also accidentally select and move it all the time. Otherwise I really recommend splitting them up.

Please, make it easier to log into the game aswell. What other game asks for your password everytime you log in these days?

Among a few other things, I wonder why my ship really needs to leave the station when I just want to enter it in the hangar. Then you have to wait for cutscene out and in again, if you don't fast travel. And those shuttles. Why would you shuttle around everywhere, when you have your own freaking starship. That would have a way cooler feel to it. The space game is kind of lame though.

This game would be like almost my only MMORPG alternative for my taste right now. It worries me that you guys say BioWare ignore bugs and don't further improve the core game, but if they don't fix that camera bug I might rage quit my subscription.