Stronghold Quality of Life Improvements

sharpenedstick

SH and decoration collecting has become the primary focus of my SWTOR experience (I have no clue why, irl idgaf about decor), but while there is a lot to celebrate in the game's housing, there's a good deal of frustration as well.

I wanted to start a thread about QoL improvements to SHs and decorating, with a special emphasis on achievable goals rather than huge projects we know we'll never get. I lay no claim to being the originator of these ideas, and of course not everyone will have an issue with the same things, but hopefully the ideas below and those added by others will find wide enough traction that we might get some movement.

1. Extend the x/y axis options. 20 points is just not enough, especially for many of the decorations that belong against walls but can't get there.

2. Menu improvements are desperately needed:

1) Individual decorations already list their source, so allow us to filter/search by source.

2) For used decorations in our collections, provide a way for us to see which SH the decoration is in.

Allow us to Favorite decorations similar to vehicles.

3) Speaking of vehicles, allow us to access mount/pet/companion decorations on a legacy basis rather than a character basis.

4) Allow us to search by usable decorations (those that interact somehow, like jukeboxes, fireworks, etc)

5) Allow us to hide some decorations from the menu. We may have collected them just to have them, but we may not want to use them.

6) Allow us to filter to easily see which decos we have our guild doesn't.

7) Remove from the menu decorations that don't currently exist in game, or at least provide some notation indicating they don't exist.

8) Allow us to filter by a hook type exclusively (like only Large, which wouldn't show decorations that can fit on large but also smaller hooks).

3. Allow us to "preview" a decoration. We can place a decoration we don't own (or don't have remaining copies available) and it will show as a ghostly version, allowing us to see what it would look like.

4. Add subhooks to starship hooks.

5. Allow us to donate decorations to guilds while we are decorating, rather than having to exit the decorating process, go to our personal collections, and donate, then resume decorating.

6. Add an indicator to guild decoration collections showing decorations that guild members own that the guild doesn't.

7. Allow us to preview the sounds a decoration makes, if any.

1. Extend the x/y axis options. 20 points is just not enough, especially for many of the decorations that belong against walls but can't get there.

Or just get rid of hooks and go for free placement in the style of ESO or Runes of Magic.

1) Individual decorations already list their source, so allow us to filter/search by source.

The list to select the source could get cumbersome - how many different texts for "source" are there? Should there be "summary" sources, e.g. "Any Flashpoint"?

2) For used decorations in our collections, provide a way for us to see which SH the decoration is in.

That would be ... a cumbersome list, and would need to be "clumped" ==> those fifty Temple Chairs in my Coruscant stronghold should be listed as "Coruscant: 50" rather than listing Coruscant fifty times.

But yes, good idea.

+1

3) Speaking of vehicles, allow us to access mount/pet/companion decorations on a legacy basis rather than a character basis.

+1

4) Allow us to search by usable decorations (those that interact somehow, like jukeboxes, fireworks, etc)

Probably best if the filter says "Interactive" rather than "Usable", since there's already a filter for something very close to "Usable" (for the ones you have unlocked some of, and still have some available to place).

But yes.

5) Allow us to hide some decorations from the menu. We may have collected them just to have them, but we may not want to use them.

With a filter option to say "show hidden decorations", but yes. (So that we can unhide them...)

Nice.

7) Remove from the menu decorations that don't currently exist in game, or at least provide some notation indicating they don't exist.

Presumably "don't exist" means "aren't released yet", and yes, it would be good to not show them.

8) Allow us to filter by a hook type exclusively (like only Large, which wouldn't show decorations that can fit on large but also smaller hooks).

I'm not 100% convinced by the value of this, but it could be useful. Probably less useful than the other filtering options above.

3. Allow us to "preview" a decoration. We can place a decoration we don't own (or don't have remaining copies available) and it will show as a ghostly version, allowing us to see what it would look like.

Preview in the sense of "see how it would look in this spot here of my stronghold", right? Good idea, especially as the current preview mode is aggressively limited in view options.

To place e.g. personnel by the ship? Like we have the big purple ones with a grid of greens? Yes, please.

5. Allow us to donate decorations to guilds while we are decorating, rather than having to exit the decorating process, go to our personal collections, and donate, then resume decorating.

Nice.

6. Add an indicator to guild decoration collections showing decorations that guild members own that the guild doesn't.

That's an interesting idea, although it would present a significant database access load compared to what's there now.

Yes.

And one of my own:

* If there are decorations that we cannot donate to the guild by any means (because they are bound, etc.), do not bother showing that the guild owns zero of them.

8 - Decoration Duplication

This applies particularly to decorations obtained one way or another through the cartel market. Let us purchase duplicates of these with cartel coins rather than having to either buy multiple bundles, gamble on the in-game loot boxes (which should be removed btw, cosmetics or not, they're just loathsome) or shopping through the GTN. Something as simple as a wall-mounted light fixture can run into 8 figures. For just ONE light? It's insane.

Give us the ability to buy duplicates of cartel market-sourced decorations that we already have in our collection, and it will help stop the rampant hyper-inflation on decoration prices seen on the GTN.

And to be absolutely clear, when I say buy duplicates with cartel coins? Given that we're probably going to want to buy them in bulk in some cases, I don't mean like, 100, 200, 400, 600 CC's for a single copy. No I'm thinking 10, 20, 25, or at most? 50 CC's for a duplicate decoration.

Edited by Korithras

• 2 months later...
SH and decoration collecting has become the primary focus of my SWTOR experience (I have no clue why, irl idgaf about decor), but while there is a lot to celebrate in the game's housing, there's a good deal of frustration as well.

I wanted to start a thread about QoL improvements to SHs and decorating, with a special emphasis on achievable goals rather than huge projects we know we'll never get. I lay no claim to being the originator of these ideas, and of course not everyone will have an issue with the same things, but hopefully the ideas below and those added by others will find wide enough traction that we might get some movement.

Yes to all of this please. I am so frustrated right now trying to get some of these wall pieces to work somewhere. The Noble throne facade, Zakuulan walls, Zakuulan weapon racks and so many more items that use only the large block are worthless. I can't understand why Bioware did not think this through or how it made it through testing. Well, actually I can believe it made it through testing. They just release stuff broken and pointless as usual.

The range that we can move items is just way to small and needs to be adjusted so we can place these items against the wall. I know I won't be spending anything on cartel market decorations until they do something about it. It's been a problem for years now.

Edited by Darthmoriquendi

I'm going to add one too!

10. Raise the limit on all decorations to be at the very minimum the same number as the maximum number of strongholds we can have. I see no reason why some flashpoint drops are one per legacy. Why can't I have a Vinn Atrius in every stronghold? I have zero motivation to ever run Crisis on Umbara ever again since I have one of each deco.

Yes to all of this please. I am so frustrated right now trying to get some of these wall pieces to work somewhere. The Noble throne facade, Zakuulan walls, Zakuulan weapon racks and so many more items that use only the large block are worthless. I can't understand why Bioware did not think this through or how it made it through testing. Well, actually I can believe it made it through testing. They just release stuff broken and pointless as usual.

The range that we can move items is just way to small and needs to be adjusted so we can place these items against the wall. I know I won't be spending anything on cartel market decorations until they do something about it. It's been a problem for years now.

I would LOVE to be able to put the copero cantina flat against a wall.

I'm going to add one too!

10. Raise the limit on all decorations to be at the very minimum the same number as the maximum number of strongholds we can have. I see no reason why some flashpoint drops are one per legacy. Why can't I have a Vinn Atrius in every stronghold? I have zero motivation to ever run Crisis on Umbara ever again since I have one of each deco.

I've said this for ages. One of the things that frustrates me to no end is that the stone torch decorations from Ossus have a cap of 50. 50. For a light fixture. I want to fill the walls of my Yavin stronghold with these, but 50 is nowhere near enough. 9,999 cap for all decorations!

11. X and Y 20/-20 aren't enough in some cases. For instance I want to use the Scorpion, Republic, and Imperial Weapon Rack decorations because my smuggler is an arms dealer, so these are meant to showcase the wares he has for sale. The problem though is that they only go on a large floor hook and even if I wanted to put them flush to a wall they only go from middle of the square to partway back on the square, leaving a gap between the back of the rack and the back of the wall. This is just one example.

Consider expanding how far we can move these decorations to, I would say as high as X/Y 50 may be warranted.

• 2 weeks later...
Unsure if this has been mentioned, while decorating a guild SH, allow us to directly purchase copies without having to close the decorating interface, going to our list and then looking for the deco. Would also be nice if it allows us to buy decos based on the available list from guild members.