Malora & Lord Renning

EAFSAMWISE

When you first meet Malora on Korriban, she's apprenticed to Lord Renning who oversees bio-experimentation on various beasts and you're tasked with finding and extracted the brain of Renning's biggest Tukata that ran off. Malora of course gives you the option to bring it to her first in exchange for a bribe and she will of course frame Lord Renning as a fraud by marking the brain with something. The idea is that she can use it as a way to get him dismissed or worse so she can advance, and if he finds out then he tortures her and eventually releases her from service.

However regardless of what choice you make, two things happen: first on the Republic side when Korriban is invaded during the Shadow of Revan Expansion, Lord Renning is killed and this is confirmed; he is shown in his old post with tukata in the beast pens and unleashes them on invaders. But then on both sides in 'Jedi Under Siege,' Malora has indeed advanced and the codex entry for 'Darth Malora' just makes out that she got away from Lord Renning's service.

With this in mind, is it more appropriate or according to the main story to sell out Malora or to help her undermine Renning?

Please share your thoughts

Malora recognizes you when she appears in the Empire version of Jedi Under Siege, and has different dialogue depending on whether you helped her or not. Clearly, BioWare doesn't want there to be a specific canon.

I say, just do what you like and use your imagination as to how things worked out the way they did.

Edited by rashencyberspeed

Malora recognizes you when she appears in the Empire version of Jedi Under Siege, and has different dialogue depending on whether you helped her or not. Clearly, BioWare doesn't want there to be a specific canon.

I say, just do what you like and use your imagination as to how things worked out the way they did.

Right but that still creates the problem of why Lord Renning would still be at his post when Korriban is attacked if Malora had intended to undermine him. On the Republic side for the raid on Korriban, you fight him as a boss and he's clearly still there with the same job so that's why I asked if this means Malora canonically failed or was betrayed by whoever she asked for help

Edited by EAFSAMWISE

Please share your thoughts

My thoughts... this is one of those decisions that actually make SWTOR such an interesting game; there is no right or wrong, clear cut answer, no matter what kind of character you're playing.

Sell out Malora for your own benefit? Because she's trying to betray her master? Because you actually wonder if Renning might be right in some way? Because you're secretly anti-Empire/Sith and want time and resources wasted?

Do what Malora wants because she's paying you? Because you think Renning's idea is ridiculous? Because you think Renning's idea is a waste of time and resources? Because you don't like Renning's attitude? Because it will create a disruption in the Sith hierarchy that you might be able to take advantage of?

Ultimately, it's the same with their future positions, it's not made clear cut, so a Player can assume anything that fits their prior actions and personal beliefs.

• Malora was tortured and released from service, Renning continued his studies and died in the invasion.
  • Malora's framing worked and Renning was demoted to merely an animal keeper in the beast pens and died in the invasion.
  • The player betrayed neither, Malora found another way out from Renning's service while he continued his experiments and died during the invasion.

I think they're all equally valid as being in line with the overall story.

I think another possibility is that Renning has enough influence that his actual position isn't strongly affected even if you do help Malora. In this case, the way Malora herself is affected is the meaning of the quest. (I imagine it as her either leaving Renning on her terms through a surge of influence courtesy of Renning's rivals that gives her a head-start on her future career, or knocked down to the bottom of the barrel when Renning kicks her out and forcing her to claw her way up.)

Right but that still creates the problem of why Lord Renning would still be at his post when Korriban is attacked if Malora had intended to undermine him. On the Republic side for the raid on Korriban, you fight him as a boss and he's clearly still there with the same job so that's why I asked if this means Malora canonically failed or was betrayed by whoever she asked for help

Not really a problem. Obviously whatever Malora's machinations, she fails to actually undermine him significantly.

Keeping in mind, in order to expose him as a "fraud", she needed to fraudulently tamper with the brain (ironic and typical Sith hypocrisy). It seems entirely possible that even if you help Malora, the tampering is detected and she just gets delayed electro-shock therapy courtesy of Renning.