Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Vector Hyllis: Worst Romance Ever

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Vector Hyllis: Worst Romance Ever

Spiili
04.07.2012 , 02:56 AM | #501
I've not tried romancing any of my companions, I'm a male playing as a female agent, but feel it was be too far for me to romance with a male ingame. How ever Vector is a boring character, and his obsession for the Hive is tiresome.
Hayhá - Lethality/Engineering Hybrid Sniper
Lolzcatz - pr0smash

Eutoxis
04.07.2012 , 08:07 AM | #502
Quote: Originally Posted by sugarnails View Post
I think someone either had Vector confused with Malavai Quinn or blew the Cortess thing way out of proportion. I wouldn't even consider that a real betrayal since

Spoiler
No. Not confused. Just intolerant of betrayal.

He pretends to help you on Alderaan while the hivemind plans their invasion of House Cortess. When they all show up to "assimilate" House Cortess he both signals his intention to help the bugs and denies ever having betrayed the Agent. He only agrees to side with the Agent if the Agent puts his/her foot down and forces a choice between Hive and Empire-- and that's because you are going to be forced to accept him as a companion.

He's a traitor, he gets caught at it, and we're forced to accept him anyway. If he hadn't been forced onto the ship, my Agent would have shot him in the face.

Quinn's betrayal I can understand-- it's a Sith thing, supplanting your superiors, and I'd have been disappointed if he hadn't tried.

Vector's treason comes from outside the Empire, betraying it for an alien hivemind. He is placed on the Agent's ship as a distraction while the events of Chapter Two were being set up.

erei
04.07.2012 , 11:07 AM | #503
Quote: Originally Posted by Eutoxis View Post
No. Not confused. Just intolerant of betrayal.

He pretends to help you on Alderaan while the hivemind plans their invasion of House Cortess. When they all show up to "assimilate" House Cortess he both signals his intention to help the bugs and denies ever having betrayed the Agent. He only agrees to side with the Agent if the Agent puts his/her foot down and forces a choice between Hive and Empire-- and that's because you are going to be forced to accept him as a companion.

He's a traitor, he gets caught at it, and we're forced to accept him anyway. If he hadn't been forced onto the ship, my Agent would have shot him in the face.

Quinn's betrayal I can understand-- it's a Sith thing, supplanting your superiors, and I'd have been disappointed if he hadn't tried.

Vector's treason comes from outside the Empire, betraying it for an alien hivemind. He is placed on the Agent's ship as a distraction while the events of Chapter Two were being set up.
More a double agent. And since in the end he choose to stay with the agent, and kill the bugs inside house cortess if you choose so, it seems he have more loyalty to the empire than the kiliks.

Anyway, back to topic, the romance is really bad. Didn't make it, wish there is same gender romance to choose Kalyio (even if I'm playing lightside IA). And when I turned him down, I still had him talking like we were together. And even then, when I turned him down AGAIN, he keep sending me mail....

CloudCastle
04.07.2012 , 11:40 AM | #504
Quote:
I didn't quite see it this way. He does legitimately help you achieve your mission on Alderaan, so it's not a ruse. The only thing he's guilty of here is not telling you in advance what he hoped to get in return. You get the chance to call him on it and he tells you "fine" and that his first loyalty is to the Empire.

I interpreted the real betrayal to be:

Spoiler

Story-wise though, I felt it made for a compelling plot and really emphasized the paranoia and trust issues that characterize the agent storyline.

I don't think my agent decided that Vector could be trusted until:

Spoiler

P.S. Just saw erei's post and I think the "double agent" interpretation is another good way of looking at it. When you first meet Vector, you can get him to tell you a little bit about why he became a joiner and it's apparent that he did it solely for diplomatic reasons. "It was necessary" he says.

CloudCastle
04.07.2012 , 12:06 PM | #505
Update on my thoughts on the Vector romance...

Just did the "One People" quest last night. They got this one so very right. Actually, the last few quests with him have improved, so that it feels like my agent and Vector are supporting and being respectful to each other. Much better.

What ever happened to the OP of this thread I wonder? Did she get this far? I find it hard to imagine not being moved by last night's quest. It was powerful. Yes, this was the one where he asks you to clear the ship so you can be alone.

And. That. Voice. Oh. My.

Just wrap him up and I'll take him home, thanks.

Current verdict - Vector is not for the faint of heart, but the patient will be rewarded.

One question though:

Spoiler

chuixupu
04.07.2012 , 12:11 PM | #506
Quote: Originally Posted by CloudCastle View Post
I didn't quite see it this way. He does legitimately help you achieve your mission on Alderaan, so it's not a ruse. The only thing he's guilty of here is not telling you in advance what he hoped to get in return. You get the chance to call him on it and he tells you "fine" and that his first loyalty is to the Empire.

I interpreted the real betrayal to be:

Spoiler
Yeah, I saw it more this way too. Later on in his quests he seems to have "learned" from this (actually, regardless of what decision you make there on Alderaan). I never question Vector's loyalty to the Empire. I honestly trust him more than anyone else on the ship at this point.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Flaminica
04.08.2012 , 03:57 PM | #507
Quote: Originally Posted by Eutoxis View Post

But this assumes that denying House Cortess to the Killiks is the only possible reasonable choice. Based on feedback here and on the cutscenes uploaded to YouTube, this seems to be overwhelmingly the choice most players pick, even the otherwise dark-side players.

My Agent is light-sided, but when presented with the same choice it was a no-brainer to me. The Killiks offered their help in achieving my goal, an objective that I could not have achieved without that help. In return they asked for a price. I granted that price. My Agent looked at Vector (his heart went pit-a-pat because he couldn't say "no" to Vector over anything) then I said to the Killik Queen "Sure thing, it's all yours" turned and walked away. No fight, no fuss. I've never regretted it.

What I do regret is that the phasing in the game doesn't reflect my choice. I'd like to return to Alderaan, cruise past what once was House Cortess and see a fresh hive there where mansions once stood.

Crezelle
04.08.2012 , 06:03 PM | #508
Quote: Originally Posted by CloudCastle View Post
And. That. Voice. Oh. My.

Just wrap him up and I'll take him home, thanks.

[/SPOILER]
theres a spare vector up for grabs?! youll have to fight me for him >:3
Crezelle De'Chimera, of the Shadowlands
" Secret Agent Blue Booty, at your service. You Lead the way; I bring the kolto. "

AWorldofHerOwn
04.09.2012 , 08:12 AM | #509
I am currently playing a Sith Marauder with a male friend who plays a Sniper... I am all kinds of jealous of him having Vector and I get Quinn. So far watching the IA storyline I enjoy it very much and am secretly lvling up an IA so I can have the Vector romance. Of course my feelings towards Quinn maybe because I know how his storyline runs later on.

Dolcia
04.09.2012 , 02:07 PM | #510
Quote: Originally Posted by lunabaguna View Post
Go sith warrior, Quinn is dreamy
Okay, yes. Capital Y-E-S, I thank'ya. For a pixel man, he has pretty sexy lips. He is a little bit of a dutiful stick in the mud, nothing like Andronikos in that regard, but compared to creepy, gas bag, bug man, I am much more inclined to overlook that.

Anyway, yeah, I am a girl gamer and I dig that there are female romance options in the game. I come from an RP background and the more immersive the gaming world is the more I personally enjoy it, but I do wish nearly all of the companions were romanceable (whether you are a male or female character). I would love to get my hands on Talos Drellik - I don't care if he looks twenty years older than my Inquisitor, he's dorky cute and super funny.

I also dig that sort of Matthew McConaughey vibe I get from Corso Riggs.
Evil is a word used by the ignorant and the weak. The dark side is about survival. It's about unleashing your inner power. It glorifies the strength of the individual.