Question about PVP in 7.0

dreckwurst

Will i still have a valid progression item based system so i can feel a progress in getting better gear ?

Does farming gear makes my hits more ouchi in pvp with better gear ?

Or everyone now has the exact same stats because of stupid gear scale and it does not make any difference if i go in pvp with item rating 250 or max item rating in 7.0 ?

Thank you in advance.

Thankfully scaling is still here so swtor pvp will remain enjoyable unlike the disaster that is WoW's gear based pvp where people with max gear have huge advantages and 2-3 shot new people with low gear

Swtor does it right, max gear and max augments give you a small advantage but nothing enormous so you still need to be good in order to win rather than rely on having max gear.

Edited by ralphieceaser

The two main concerns with pvp in 7.0 are modable gear and pvp balance.

Modable Gear:

Some class require certain breakpoints to really get the most out of with crit and alacrity. So far it seems that the pvp gear will not have this feature thus resulting in unoptimized builds. Now if everyone is in the same boat then it won't matter but I don't see that happening as certain classes have bonus crit/alacrity ratings as passives.

PVP Balance:

Based on what we have from the PTS some classes are getting gutted while others remain largely untouched. The ones that are getting gutted are not the overperforming classes. This has me worried that DPS Juggs and Mara's are going to get the huge shaft in terms of power level. Right now we know based on pts testing Sorcs, PT's, Snipers, and Mercs are still strong. The melee classes Juggs Maras and Ops have been underperforming a bit. I think OPs are actually fine its just a playstyle adjustment back to 2.0 era. Juggs are incredibly weak right now. Maras are in the same boat but not even close to Jugg level of awful.

Thankfully scaling is still here so swtor pvp will remain enjoyable unlike the disaster that is WoW's gear based pvp where people with max gear have huge advantages and 2-3 shot new people with low gear

Swtor does it right, max gear and max augments give you a small advantage but nothing enormous so you still need to be good in order to win rather than rely on having max gear.

I assume you're talking about bolster?

I hate to break it to you, but min/maxing is quite important in pvp atm (6.3). there's a huge difference to be found for stacking crit and dropping acc. base sets tend to default to more acc than most DPS specs want. BW wants players to use augs to tweak their stats in 7.0, which is fine, but you cannot drop and replace stats like acc/alac that are caked into the shells. this means instead of replacing largely useless stats (the extra acc), you're sacrificing mastery/power, which is a flat increase in the magnitude of every attack/heal.

as usual, BW takes a good idea (gear progression/scaling) and botches it (mixing gear progression scales across content). this assumes that BW will allow modable Ops gear sets into PVP instances. I cannot imagine them NOT doing this, though. so you'll almost certainly see min/maxed modable gear sets in PvP against unmodable shells.

the only hope is that there will be a large selection of shells to choose from so as to find an appropriate min/max combo for your spec. but that seems unlikely. and then there's the issue of "set bonuses" (or the equivalent. it's not quite the same in 7.0...not sure why they're taking their cues from Shadowlands, which seems to be one of WoW's least successful xpacks).

TL; DR: min/maxing is a huge difference in 6.x. even without amps to mess with, adding the right augs and dropping unnecessary alac and acc, thus stacking crit, makes a palpable difference. worries that players will be bringing min/maxed modable gear into PVP, which doesn't provide such gear, are legit concerns.

I assume you're talking about bolster?

If you ve played a game like current WoW's you ll realize my point, WoW has scaling only in name in pvp, people who are geared are 2-3 shotting undergeared players.

The same is not happening in swtor, plus the fact of all those dcd and immunities many classes have make that even harder.

I agree that gear has an advantage, it is just not as game breaking as you see in games like WoW where if you are undergeared, you are a free kill and cant kill anyone with half a braincell and mythic gear.

If you ve played a game like current WoW's you ll realize my point, WoW has scaling only in name in pvp, people who are geared are 2-3 shotting undergeared players.

The same is not happening in swtor, plus the fact of all those dcd and immunities many classes have make that even harder.

I agree that gear has an advantage, it is just not as game breaking as you see in games like WoW where if you are undergeared, you are a free kill and cant kill anyone with half a braincell and mythic gear.

:rolleyes:

the only hope is that there will be a large selection of shells to choose from so as to find an appropriate min/max combo for your spec. but that seems unlikely. and then there's the issue of "set bonuses" (or the equivalent. it's not quite the same in 7.0...not sure why they're taking their cues from Shadowlands, which seems to be one of WoW's least successful xpacks).

:rolleyes: yeah. I'm well aware of how SL plays.

the argument against 7.0 is legit if you're allowed to bring in bonuses or higher ilvl stuff from other content areas. it's not just a min/max complaint. WoW allows that (in both directions, you actually gear up faster in SL through pvp, but yeah...it requires doing stuff that has nothing to do with pvp). bolster only accounts for ilvl discrepancies. not set bonuses (most important) or min/maxing (the later two accounting for about 15%-20% difference in my experience in 6.3).

on the other hand, this isn't exactly a new thing with mmos.

Edited by CheesyEZ

bolster only accounts for ilvl discrepancies. not set bonuses (most important) or min/maxing (the later two accounting for about 15%-20% difference in my experience in 6.3).

On top of the concerns you've raised, we also just have to hope that their new bolster actually works properly. It was badly bugged on one of the pts builds. I'm sure that one will be fixed, but almost every iteration of bolster has had exploits of varying degrees.

On top of the concerns you've raised, we also just have to hope that their new bolster actually works properly. It was badly bugged on one of the pts builds. I'm sure that one will be fixed, but almost every iteration of bolster has had exploits of varying degrees.

Was it even active during the PTS, watching some pvp videos there was a tank with 80k health clearly with starter gear.

Then 3 of the team members were around 200k while the entire enemy team were 240k health so I am assuming scaling might not even seriously function with such huge gear disparities on PTS based on gear health levels alone.

Was it even active during the PTS, watching some pvp videos there was a tank with 80k health clearly with starter gear.

Then 3 of the team members were around 200k while the entire enemy team were 240k health so I am assuming scaling might not even seriously function with such huge gear disparities on PTS based on gear health levels alone.

A form of it certainly was, and there was a certain gear configuration that gave people 12 milliion health lol