Iokath - Empire or Republic

Humbe

Having fun playing SWTOR again after having been away for a long time.. Fun to experience the various stories and new expansions having come..

While there are many places in the story, where you pick 1 of 3 chat options, you realize that the option you picked wasn't what you expected it to be, the first one that has really annoyed me is this on Iokath where you have to pick Empire or Republic.

I get that they don't want to implement a 3rd path for the Iokath story just because it takes time, but they could have written this better if they want to limit to two options. I want a third option to tell both sides to yield to the eternal alliance, and neither of them gets the superweapon. If both side yields, we should be all good. If neither side yields, I'd want that third option of saving the superweapon from either, but if they only wanted to implement 2 stories, then have a neutral option, but let one side accept it and the other not, so we're forced to pick sides based on that.

Ended up picking Republic with my Jedi just because I was afraid of what the long term effects would be picking the other side.

Edited by Humbe

Of course, as a light side Jedi, I won't join the Empire to crush the Republic.. But with new leadership in the Empire that seems better than before and the recent alliance, I'd like to keep the peace between Republic / Empire if I can and give them a chance to see if they can improve/behave. I wouldn't expect it to work. So I'd like an option to not be the one that declares war on them, but trying to meddle peace until they prove they won't have it.

If they didn't want a third path in the story, they could have just added a 3rd peacekeeper option, and followed up with the republic falling in line and the Empire refusing right after, forcing you to choose the Republic or go dark.

I feel picking Republic works best, just because Empire was your allies and they invaded you. Why stay with the allies who betrays you the first chance they get other than "I want to be Empire!"

Yes buuuuut... Acina also explains that the reason she went to Iokath was to make sure the Republic didn't get the superweapon - to protect the Empire AND the alliance (yes it's a dialogue at some point, if you pick certain options). Considering her history, it's very possible that she wouldn't have used it on the Alliance too.

The good thing with Iokath is that you can justify both choices with every character - so it's really up to how you play those specific characters. Some of mine were still very sore about the whole Saresh thing and the lack of support from the Republic against Vaylin as well. Heck my first LS Jedi character aligned with the Empire on Iokath...