Constructive Criticism: The Most Important Change We Need In 7.2

septru

None of the issues mentioned will make any difference to ranked as long as wintraders aren't getting banned. I'd still like to know why Mike B stopped his monthly posts and stopped monitoring the pvpreports email. I'm assuming Bioware made the calculation that expending any resources policing ranked was a waste and stopped entirely. They literally don't even read the reports, let alone do any investigations or hand out any punishments.

As a result, blatant wintraders with video evidence and/or screenshots as proof are getting top 3 rewards. Not to mention Bioware botched handing out top 3 rewards worse than they ever have before.

And for those that inexplicably think wintrading isn't a big deal (whether due to apathy, self-interest, or some other garbage reason), Bioware also stopped banning blatant throwers that more directly ruin the ranked experience for everyone.

Nothing else matters until these issues are appropriately addressed. Bioware has banned wintraders in the past, usually slower than people would like, but they did at least take action, proving that it is indeed possible. There should be no feasibility concerns here.

Edited by JediMasterAlex
  • Like 1

None of the issues mentioned will make any difference to ranked as long as wintraders aren't getting banned. I'd still like to know why Mike B stopped his monthly posts and stopped monitoring the pvpreports email. I'm assuming Bioware made the calculation that expending any resources policing ranked was a waste and stopped entirely. They literally don't even read the reports, let alone do any investigations or hand out any punishments.

As a result, blatant wintraders with video evidence and/or screenshots as proof are getting top 3 rewards. Not to mention Bioware botched handing out top 3 rewards worse than they ever have before.

And for those that inexplicably think wintrading isn't a big deal (whether due to apathy, self-interest, or some other garbage reason), Bioware also stopped banning blatant throwers that more directly ruin the ranked experience for everyone.

Nothing else matters until these issues are appropriately addressed. Bioware has banned wintraders in the past, usually slower than people would like, but they did at least take action, proving that it is indeed possible. There should be no feasibility concerns here.

Yeah wintrading is lame but so is Huttball. I would rather a map vote filter so I can never see Huttball on my screen again then worry about 8 people wintrading TR late at night while I am asleep.

Yeah wintrading is lame but so is Huttball. I would rather a map vote filter so I can never see Huttball on my screen again then worry about 8 people wintrading TR late at night while I am asleep.

A map filter is the only thing we can be reasonably sure will be included in 7.2. It'll probably be just about the only thing if we're being realistic.

Also, 5am wintrading in team ranked (or even in solo ranked like Educated Squad did), is only part of the problem. Bioware also didn't ban blatant speedhackers and throwers (with video evidence). The only thing Bioware occasionally bans people for is account sharing and using slurs in chat. They stopped monitoring ranked entirely for cheating and throwing. That's why I'm saying any changes to ranked are meaningless without proper moderation. And if they refuse to do that, they should just remove ranked as a whole.

I think it may be time to completely revamp the maps and the team sizes. And yes give the duelers their wet dream and let them pick death dueling maps, Id even accept a 8 man arena for that. However for death duels Id say make it so no rewards unless you get at least 1 kill and are on the team that wins, basically timed and the team with most kills wins. The trick is no mat rewards, farming in pvp is bad and has been for quite a while. I think once you allow the death duelers their choice the "rage quitting" ends both cause the duelers get what they want and stop ruining the teams with those who want to play objectives. For the map changes I think the maps should be revamped at least yearly and for the love of god the fact we can get hutball or voidstar for 6 rounds straight means the coding is borked. fix that.

Outside of that Id like to see some balance changes so its no longer possible for 1 sorc or 1 sniper to guard a door against 5 players or roll through fire or toxic goo without any damage that truly needs to stop. Otherwise remove those "barriers" because its obvious certain players have figured how to get around that which gives them an unfair advantage.

And my dream wish, just get rid of ancient hypergate or completely revamp its scoring it has exploits(will not say what but BW you know Ive told you never fiixed by the way) ..if one map was built for win trading this is it.

I think it may be time to completely revamp the maps and the team sizes. And yes give the duelers their wet dream and let them pick death dueling maps, Id even accept a 8 man arena for that. However for death duels Id say make it so no rewards unless you get at least 1 kill and are on the team that wins, basically timed and the team with most kills wins. The trick is no mat rewards, farming in pvp is bad and has been for quite a while. I think once you allow the death duelers their choice the "rage quitting" ends both cause the duelers get what they want and stop ruining the teams with those who want to play objectives. For the map changes I think the maps should be revamped at least yearly and for the love of god the fact we can get hutball or voidstar for 6 rounds straight means the coding is borked. fix that.

Outside of that Id like to see some balance changes so its no longer possible for 1 sorc or 1 sniper to guard a door against 5 players or roll through fire or toxic goo without any damage that truly needs to stop. Otherwise remove those "barriers" because its obvious certain players have figured how to get around that which gives them an unfair advantage.

And my dream wish, just get rid of ancient hypergate or completely revamp its scoring it has exploits(will not say what but BW you know Ive told you never fiixed by the way) ..if one map was built for win trading this is it.

I don't even know where to start with this...... Like what? Has to be a troll.

Edited by TmoneyTime

I don't even know where to start with this...... Like what? Has to be a troll.

See its insane ramblings like that when the devs actually do decide to spend 45 seconds looking at the PVP forums just have them scratching their heads like, "Yeah so uhm lets nerf something I guess?" or "another Huttball map?"

Edited by CretinUseelad

On 9/25/2022 at 10:44 AM, CretinUseelad said:

See its insane ramblings like that when the devs actually do decide to spend 45 seconds looking at the PVP forums just have them scratching their heads like, "Yeah so uhm lets nerf something I guess?" or "another Huttball map?"

This is a bought and sold account ^

swtor-pvp-pve-account-timed-runs-and-gol

I think we've lost track here as to "the most important change we need in 7.2" is here. If you ask me the very tippy top of the priority list should be increase in populatuon and queue pops. In 7.0 we saw an increase in pops due to increased rewards which was nice. Those rewards have since been whittled down because they effected the economy.

So the question needs to be asked "what can be added to PvP as incentives"? More tech frags etc isn't it. The answer may just be right under our noses with "ranked rewards".

Fact is there are players out there who casually play PvP either queuing for Ranked or interested in queuing for Ranked solely for the cool stuff they see in the vendors. So why is it that all the "Unranked" PvP vendors all have such outdated items in it still after all these years with terribly low "Valor requirements" on them for purchase with a handful if credits? Look at Galactic Seasons popularity for instance or the Nightlife Event. Players will do just about anything (even the most mundane) for nice looking in-game rewards. If you want a simple solution to the "PvP population" problem rewards beyond items that can be bought and sold for credits is where the answer lies.

Update the vendors with some really cool looking stuff exclusive to PvP with varying degrees of difficulty to obtain and make them Legacy Bound, with Account Unlocks available, purchasable with BRAND NEW "Unranked tokens" as well as differently skinned but similar items available for "Ranked tokens". Perhaps even implementing "seasons" for Unranked as well. Instead of focusing on punishmenments the devs and we as players should be focussing on incentives and rewards. Get players at least as excited about queuing for PvP as they they are for logging in...

Edited by TyrFoge

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/20/2022 at 4:16 PM, septru said:

So a while back when they first announced "ability purge" a couple of us were really really excited. There are a lot of high movement abilities that cause extreme fps drop, dsync, and other graphical issues. We were hoping that some of these abilities would be purged. They include:

• 80% predation
  • 75% hydrolics
  • 50 and 75% countermeasures and entrench
  • the several utilities/legendaries that reduce the cooldown of force speed,
  • phantomstride
  • holotraverse
  • rocketout
  • nimble master

Every single one of these abilities increases the movement speed of each class significantly. Quick changes to movement speed on the z axis is one of the direct causes of dsync. And they also cause a bunch of graphical lag. If BioWare removed or nerfed these abilities from their game, their game performance in pvp would increase significantly.

But that's not all. Notice how each class has their own speed boost. This has created a speed increase arms race. Each class needs its on movement speed increase to beat the other classes movement speed increase. If the other player is moving at +50%, I need to move at + 70%. It's absurd.

You're 4th point was about creating more class diversity and class identity. Every class feels like its playing the same and missing out on some key identity. This would be the starting place. Not all classes need to have speed increases. If BioWare removed or nerfed these abilities from their game, their class diversity in pvp would increase significantly.

Yeah actually why do we have any abilities besides rotational\attacking abilities in the game? We should only have 4 rotational abilties right? and we could fight other players like they re a dummy. Go zombie mode, then even a monkey could be a good player.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2022 at 6:30 PM, TmoneyTime said:

It's a trap in mmo development that continues to happen. Adding power/gear is not content/good for the game. I think the entire pvp community would agree that if we still had everyone at level 50. With tons of maps, no deysnch issues, semi balanced classes, seasonal rewards (actual seasons with definitive start and end dates for both arenas and 8s), Some type of pvp guild system. The game would be far better off from a PVP perspective. I mean you could do that with PVE as well. A leaderboard for fastest raid clears etc with rewards for the top guilds.

If an mmo wants to truly become S tier it has to get rid of the power creep mentality and make a solid foundation. With actual content. Not power creep because bigger number omg, New gear omg.

Nailed it.  I say this all the time, the game was so much nice at Vanilla 50, with every role being useful.  

Arena complicated things not by little....

On 10/1/2022 at 9:09 AM, TyrFoge said:

I think we've lost track here as to "the most important change we need in 7.2" is here. If you ask me the very tippy top of the priority list should be increase in populatuon and queue pops. In 7.0 we saw an increase in pops due to increased rewards which was nice. Those rewards have since been whittled down because they effected the economy.

So the question needs to be asked "what can be added to PvP as incentives"? More tech frags etc isn't it. The answer may just be right under our noses with "ranked rewards".

Fact is there are players out there who casually play PvP either queuing for Ranked or interested in queuing for Ranked solely for the cool stuff they see in the vendors. So why is it that all the "Unranked" PvP vendors all have such outdated items in it still after all these years with terribly low "Valor requirements" on them for purchase with a handful if credits? Look at Galactic Seasons popularity for instance or the Nightlife Event. Players will do just about anything (even the most mundane) for nice looking in-game rewards. If you want a simple solution to the "PvP population" problem rewards beyond items that can be bought and sold for credits is where the answer lies.

Update the vendors with some really cool looking stuff exclusive to PvP with varying degrees of difficulty to obtain and make them Legacy Bound, with Account Unlocks available, purchasable with BRAND NEW "Unranked tokens" as well as differently skinned but similar items available for "Ranked tokens". Perhaps even implementing "seasons" for Unranked as well. Instead of focusing on punishmenments the devs and we as players should be focussing on incentives and rewards. Get players at least as excited about queuing for PvP as they they are for logging in...

Good lord do I regret posting this now... (Even though I'm certain I personally had 0 effect)

But as I've said in other posts as well players want MORE things not less. Adding new rewards to regs? Great! Spectacular! Wonderful! Should have been done. How exciting right!? But this doesn't/didn't mean get rid of Ranked entirely or offer Ranked rewards for Regs matches ffs...

What I can't wrap my head around is why the decision to remove Ranked entirely was even made. Ok so it's population suffers because of a misconceived notion of extreme toxicity. Well that's fine. Honestly that's Ranked players problem not anyone elses. "Don't like it don't queue it".

If the devs had announced that there wasn't going to be separate "rewards" for Ranked and Unranked play (same cosmetics, same tokens etc.) except for a leaderboard being kept in Ranked I STRONGLY suspect they would have been met with 1/3 (or less) of the vehemence they have so far. Sure Ranked players liked their toys, flairs, and cosmetics but I don't know a single one that participated in Ranked for them. That's like saying Quarterbacks only want to win the Superbowl for the ring. I certainly don't think Ranked players would be quitting if they didn't receive separate cosmetic rewards. No?

With this in mind I don't get how "hard" it would have been to add all the new changes and just leave Ranked alone and say: "Titles for Rankings TBD" and start the season with the Unranked one. If no one queued? So be it. If only a handful did? Fine. I'm sure just "having it available" wouldn't cost a tremendous amount of resources. I'm just baffled. New queues and rewards are great for Regs. Just "keeping Ranked around" shouldn't have been that hard. So why not walk this decision back? 

Give more take less

Edited by TyrFoge
  • Like 2