Do you support a Mac OS X client in Star Wars the Old Republic?

Pencilvania

Not really, first it's success on the PC, if it's big enough a Mac version will come, like every other "greedy" company does or has done in the past.

I don't get what there is so greedy about it, it's more a question of playing your cards safe, but I guess your not much into business strategies?

If it was me I will natively support mac, and ask Apple to do some publicity , everyone knows Apple owners are utter foolish and will buy anything you throw at them , given some publicity with it.

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL. My Mac plays every game I want to play - natively.

... and my Windows PC plays more games than your Mac will ever play, Natively... and the Windows OS is optimized for gaming far more than OSX is. GG

Besides only a competitive or professional gamer would purchase their computer based on game availability. LOL.

Fixed that for you.

Also, I buy my machines based on their capabilities, price, and available software - which Windows has much more of. This is why developers support Windows over OSX; they make more money.

Plus, the Mac "fan base" is not appealing to me. I've worked in IT for 15 years and I find that 95% of them are clueless technology posers.

Edited by -Kraxis-

... and my Windows PC plays more games than your Mac will ever play, Natively... and the Windows OS is optimized for gaming far more than OSX is. GG

Fixed that for you.

This is not a Mac Vs. PC thread.

Don't make assumptions, please.

I said we're not currently working on a Mac client. That doesn't rule out the possibility of a Mac client in the future; as various interviews have stated, it's always possible.

However, currently, there are no development efforts directed towards a Mac client. Unless it's being done in an underground bunker far from here by stealth-suited developers.

Erm... isn't that what he said? Your team leads don't think it's worth doing right this second compared to anything else they could be doing... so they aren't doing it.

If you (or really one of the producers or presidents) thought you'd be making money on it right now, you'd have a mac client. Whatever the crossover number is for when it becomes worth investing in either you (or simutronics) didn't expect it to be at that point yet, and it might not be. I don't have any idea what your ROI targets are, last I heard bioware was churning about 12k/month per employee in canada, but that doesn't meaningfully contribute to a discussion of a mac client cost because it's not clear from the outside who would need to do what to make it happen. Simutronics has more hero engine customers than just EA, they certainly could see value in a mac client but that completely changes the question of what it would cost for EA-Bioware to do it if Simutronics will do half the work on their own (and what would they charge for it?).

You must be doing the same basic question for every feature. Hero engine supports vivox, so you could invest developer time into integrating a voice chat system into the game itself from a version of hero engine. Is that going to generate enough revenue to warrant the time invested, is it going to make the game more fun per dollar than some other investment you could do, is it going to ever be used given that most everyone uses some other VOIP chat application that inherently works better by not being part of the game client. Mac is the same question, if you do one how long will it take to do well, how much will it cost, will it be enough more 'fun' for mac users than a mac user rebooting into windows etc.

In general though no, I wouldn't think it worth the effort to build a mac client, unless simutronics will cough up a translation layer in hero engine for free (most of your game is written in hero script right, so you can merge with things they add? Good...) you're likely to just cause endless synchronization issues. It would be one thing if it was architected from the ground up for it, but from what I can tell there would be a huge amount of programming time required, and even then it might still break things constantly.

BioWare is a business that is owned by a greedy sumbatch of a business called EA. If they believed there was profit to be made by supporting Mac, they'd support Mac. It's really that simple.

I've been saying this, but Lethality thinks he knows the market better than an army of EA beancounters.

I would really like to see a native Mac client.

Reason is... I _don't_ want to boot into Windows.

The Mac client of the Hero System is almost there, so it's just a matter of time to get a compiled client for Mac.

If you knew how the Hero System framework works, you'd know that it compiles client by itself, so as long as the framework support an OS, you can simply click&deploy.

This is the commercial reason why using Hero System is always better than write your own code.

Ah, and by the way... also Eve Online has a Mac client.

And also... Gametree Mac is already deploying a lot of games for Mac.

This is possible thanks to special features Mach micro-kernels have, which is the possibility of using compatibility layers (or "abstract layers") to "translate" native calls of a given OS to the Mach kernel.

The most famous is Wine, of course, but people like Cedega and Gametree Mac have found that it is a lot better to pre-compile the abstract layer into the App, rather than relay on personally tuned Wine instances.

Now, make yourself a favor and avoid replying talking of "simulation".

Because it's completely a different topic: "simulating" is about faking some specific hardware via a binary software for a given kernel.

Abstract layers is about translating calls from a kernel to another, in run time (= execution) environment.

It is a feature of a set of numbered and named kernels and OSes.

As soon as the Hero Engine gets full OpenGL support, native Mac client for SW:tOR will be there. :)

It's just a click.

And as for the "cost" of it, it's just the same. Because you pay the Hero Engine use by a share of your revenues.

So selling 10 millions Win clients or 7 millions Win + 3 Milions Mac won't make any difference as a matter of "cost".

As a general hint: don't talk of stuff you don't know / don't understand.

It's way better for your online popularity :D

Im running the game in a 2009 Macbook using bootcamp, it actually surprised me how well it ran 20-30 fps solo 25-17 fps in huttball, and 7-15 in alderaan. Yea alderaan is the one thing I can't really do :\ but hey good that im imperial and 50% of the matches are huttball :D

(Doing top dmg in all of the warzones so mind you it IS playble, and the settings are low, not very low, as very low just takes away WAY too much..)

Guys on this note anyone know the performance in the new Macbook 13"??? I have tried researching how well it would run, but to no avail. Do you think I would be able to play in anything but low? or rather do u think ill be able to use fraps with it?

Please don't waste precious resources on a Mac client telll those Mac lovers that they should of thought about their system before going to a crappy PC alternative.

Let them learn a lesson about short cuts.

If you give in to these Mac lovers

ur screwing the PC gamer as those said resources could be used to increase the game for the current players who are pleading for more from BW.

Please don't waste precious resources on a Mac client telll those Mac lovers that they should of thought about their system before going to a crappy PC alternative.

Let them learn a lesson about short cuts.

If you give in to these Mac lovers

ur screwing the PC gamer as those said resources could be used to increase the game for the current players who are pleading for more from BW.

You're too selfish , lol

and what makes you think that by giving Mac support it will screw with PC gamers ?

Edited by Lasani

You're too selfish , lol

and what makes you think that by giving Mac support it will screw with PC gamers ?

Guess you didn't read it so i'll copy and paste it:

This saddens me.

Fully 100% of the technical problems I have had to negotiate to play this game have been Windows/Bootcamp related (I rarely use my Windows partition except to play SW:TOR).

I would gladly buy another game box for a native Mac client.

Yes but only after bugs, game optimization and missing MMO features are added and the game is running smoothly! I would rather have the development team spending the time on that stuff first.

Mac users know that when they purchase a Mac that not all software is going to be available on their machines. Just like Linux users know that most software and drivers are officially unavailable for that platform.

I've never been able to understand why though? You pay 2x more for the EXACT same hardware, usually worse specs. The only way to jusify it is to actually believe the MAC OS operating system worth that insanely inflated cost. Which it isn't.

Apple seems to be able to convice the near-retarded computer users that Apple is some magical OS that never crashes and never get viruses (why write virsues for an OS no on uses... thats the real reason). Most people with a brain laugh and go buy a real machine.

Being in the IT industry I cannot bring myself to buy an Apple computer, I feel like someone is stealling half my money when I do so.

Your stereotyping doesn't help your credibility. As an IT person, you should understand that from a percentage of the user-pool standpoint, more Mac users are actually more savvy than their Windows counterparts.

There are plenty of reasons why some people choose a Mac over a Windows box or a Windows box in addition to a Mac. It is quite obvious that you have very little clue what you are talking about.

I am also in the IT industry--have been for decades. My platforms of choice are MacOS, UNIX and then Windows, in that order.

By your logic, iPhone and the iPad are trash, because they sell so many of them?

Run for 20 minutes, I dont even understand that comment? The ENTIRE E-commerce world runs on Windows... I am pretty sure if it was a un-useable, unstable, unreliable platform the business world would be unable to funcation. It is amazzing how well the Apple brand brian washes people.

That would be quite untrue. Linux and UNIX have the leg-up in that department lol.

Edited by Onyx

BioWare is a business that is owned by a greedy sumbatch of a business called EA. If they believed there was profit to be made by supporting Mac, they'd support Mac. It's really that simple.

Intel is a business for profit. If they thought the could make money selling hot pockets, they would sell hot pockets. It's really that simple.

(You sounds just as illogical)

Edited by lexiekaboom

Don't make assumptions, please.

I said we're not currently working on a Mac client. That doesn't rule out the possibility of a Mac client in the future; as various interviews have stated, it's always possible.

However, currently, there are no development efforts directed towards a Mac client. Unless it's being done in an underground bunker far from here by stealth-suited developers.

Although I'll forever consider Mac users as being unable to tie their own digital shoes, and I'll laugh in the face of any "Mac Genius", these people will spend 2-3 times the value of something if it has a Mac logo on it, and gives them a number to call where someone won't treat them as being stupid as they truly are when they need help.

It'd make a hell of a lot better investment to make a Mac OSX client than it would to keep paying whoever you've got working your crafting/itemization systems. Please excuse my bluntness :)