why is the deserter lockout still present in regs?

abhaxus

I used to play on harbinger, which was a server on the west coast and still never had a problem with connections unless it was something strictly on BW's end with the server going down. So ya, ya'll need to stop over exaggerating the issues.

And I also didn’t have many problems playing from Australia on Harbinger. The problems of desync have been getting worse ever since they moved the servers and every time they add new abilities or content the desync keeps getting worse. Honestly, I don’t think it can get any worse without it totally breaking the game.

What ever Bioware “supposedly” did when they removed the HB maps to “fix” them has had zero affect on the desync. It actually looks worse than it was before. So I’m assuming they gave up trying to fix it.

You only need to look at the current state of the ranked maps to realise what ever Bioware are doing in the back ground to improve performance is having a negative affect on the game. We went from one broken map that needed fixing to nearly every arena map being broken (except tats as far as I know).

Bringing back Quesh and Vandin in their current states and also adding an extra slow buff when you have the ball is ridiculous. They should be removed from the game again until they are fixed properly, if they can’t fix them, then IMO, they should look at how they can change the format for those maps to make them death fights without the ball.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gotta say, Ive had a few matches in QB, the D-Synch is horrendous in there, nothing was fixed. BW has really proven to be a joke of a company. Wallet voting time again.

Sadly they don’t care if we vote with our wallets or not. They would let everyone unsub because they can’t admit a mistake.

That is your opinion. One I vehemently oppose.

Only because you want to abuse the system and just leave every time a match isn't going your way. Before the lockout timer it was extremely common to have the merry-go-round of people joining and leaving a match. That almost never happens now. I'll gladly advocate for keeping the lockout timer.

Only because you want to abuse the system and just leave every time a match isn't going your way. Before the lockout timer it was extremely common to have the merry-go-round of people joining and leaving a match. That almost never happens now. I'll gladly advocate for keeping the lockout timer.

Not everyone who hates the lock wants to abuse it. This is what’s wrong with this discussion. Anyone who disagrees with you must be doing the wrong thing or doesn’t matter in the big scheme of things because only you count. Apparently only your opinion matters because you go after people’s intentions instead of discussing the merits of a system. Anyone would think you are trolling cause you don’t seem to want add any substance to discussions anymore.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I gotta say, Ive had a few matches in QB, the D-Synch is horrendous in there, nothing was fixed. BW has really proven to be a joke of a company. Wallet voting time again.

it's much worse in the pit. it's weird b/c the entire quesh map is vertical, but you only deal with hyper movement buffs in a couple places. in other words, quesh is actually the flattest of the three HB maps. the elevation changes in the pit, although less precipitous, are far more regular and game-breaking. it starts with the first ramp right after the acid pit, and by the time the "de-sync" event clears up, the op is already rolling across the final fire plate. meanwhile, during the event, the in-game experience shows him in various places. the most frustrating of which is that he dropped down into the pit and actually shows him running down there for a couple seconds (just long enough to make you think he may actually be down there, imo!).

my experiences with de-sync in quesh are related primarily to warrior leap, which is broken beyond recognition in the WZ anyway.

fyi: my ping in spawn is 10-15ms, and my average ping in combat is 25-40ms, spiking to 75ms. nothing that should be so disastrous.

Edited by foxmob

my experiences with de-sync in quesh are related primarily to warrior leap, which is broken beyond recognition in the WZ anyway.

This is where i seemed to experience it the most, getting leapt to, anywhere on that map and trying to force speed away turns into an IG loop filter, just rubber banding like crazy.

Not everyone who hates the lock wants to abuse it. This is what’s wrong with this discussion. Anyone who disagrees with you must be doing the wrong thing or doesn’t matter in the big scheme of things because only you count. Apparently only your opinion matters because you go after people’s intentions instead of discussing the merits of a system. Anyone would think you are trolling cause you don’t seem to want add any substance to discussions anymore.

The large majority do. The handful of people who worry about lockouts because of disconnects have more problems on their hands than a lockout timer if their internet is that unstable.

As a counterpoint, I've had consistently more enjoyable matches since the deserter buff went in. Yes, I've had losses -- losing happens with PvP. The lopsided matches because someone just bails without trying is a thing of the past. That's really nice. Again yes, people do leave, but that's rare.

I'm amused that a few forum posters are still ranting about this. Making claims about the 'community' reaction is just silly. Your 'evidence' is just as anecdotal as mine. The only folks who know what the community is doing is BioWare and they aren't sharing their data.

Only because you want to abuse the system and just leave every time a match isn't going your way.

The arrogance of that statement is remarkable given that we are only just barely acquainted. You're willfully fabricating my objections (plural) to fit your perception. I suppose you'd like to tell my what my favorite color is, while you're at it? Perhaps you could instruct me on my favorite movie and why it is so memorable? My favorite food? I have spelled out my complaints in numerous posts, but do continue to ignore what is inconvenient because yours is the only opinion that seems to matter.

You, who frequently quit the game.

I have loathed the deserter debuff from the moment my connection was first severed, through no fault of my own, and I was forced to wait as a result. Before that, I was actually in favor of it...or more accurately, I did not object to it. But when I began to notice that it did not prevent people from deserting, that premade teams who care nothing for winning were on the rise, and a host of other issues that detract from enjoyment of the game, I concluded that the deserter debuff was a lazy, draconian response to a problem that was not that important in the totality of PvP problems.

The deserter debuff is a response to a symptom, not the overall problems of PvP.

Before the lockout timer it was extremely common to have the merry-go-round of people joining and leaving a match. That almost never happens now. I'll gladly advocate for keeping the lockout timer.

I have had more backfills than before and witnessed nearly as many deserters now as before. It was never as bad as "...you like to exaggerate it to be."

The arrogance of that statement is remarkable given that we are only just barely acquainted.

Doesn't make it any less accurate.

You, who frequently quit the game.

I frequently unsub, but I never uninstall. I still log in weekly to do some pvp as a f2p. I only resub on occasion to do other things and to get access to my credits etc...or in my current sub for double exp because I enjoy running through the vanilla story content. My toons are now all maxed out and I have no reason to continuously sub when all I do is some reg pvp.

I have loathed the deserter debuff from the moment my connection was first severed, through no fault of my own, and I was forced to wait as a result.

Oh no, you got a random DC and have to wait a few minutes to queue!!! Say it aint so!!!! :rolleyes: Use that time to take a break, go do dailies or run crew skill missions on your alts. Its only like 15 minutes, big whoop. If you're frequently DCing maybe you should stop queueing. Did you ever consider the impact you're having on the other 7 players with your poor internet? Call your ISP and fix your internet instead of blaming BW for implementing a legitimate lockout system.

I have had more backfills than before and witnessed nearly as many deserters now as before. It was never as bad as "...you like to exaggerate it to be."

And yet I and the poster before you Pallais have had complete opposite experiences as we are seeing less leavers and afkers and I never see anyone complain about it in game. Really its just you and like 3 other people on a pretty much dead forum that BW doesn't even pay attention to. Most of us here just post here to kill time in between queues.

Edited by Raansu

Doesn't make it any less accurate.

But it is. It is categorically false. I have only ever voluntarily left quesh.

I frequently unsub, but I never uninstall. I still log in weekly to do some pvp as a f2p. I only resub on occasion to do other things and to get access to my credits etc...or in my current sub for double exp because I enjoy running through the vanilla story content. My toons are now all maxed out and I have no reason to continuously sub when all I do is some reg pvp.

Which means your opinion should mean less than mine as I have never unsubscribed. Subscriber opinions should hold more weight.

Oh no, you got a random DC and have to wait a few minutes to queue!!! Say it aint so!!!! :rolleyes: Use that time to take a break, go do dailies or run crew skill missions on your alts. Its only like 15 minutes, big whoop. If you're frequently DCing maybe you should stop queueing. Did you ever consider the impact you're having on the other 7 players with your poor internet? Call your ISP and fix your internet instead of blaming BW for implementing a legitimate lockout system.

The system is draconian and addresses ONE symptom, not the actual problems...or did you miss that part? You must also have missed the part where I explicitly stated that I did not object to it at first.

The solipsism of your overarching argument is as incredible as your cherry picking. Yours is the only valid opinion and you never address the real challenges issued, only the low hanging fruit. You argue in bad faith and that is...well, not surprising honestly. :cool:

...and I never see anyone complain about it in game.

Again, not surprised. The evidence is in the continued desertions, the increased backfills, the players who don't contribute rather than desert...but ignoring the evidence makes it easier to argue your case.

Which means your opinion should mean less than mine as I have never unsubscribed. Subscriber opinions should hold more weight.

lmao ok buddy. Maybe blame BW for making the subscription unappealing to pure pvpers like me instead of running around with the ridiculous opinion that what you say holds more weight just because you maintained a subscription. I stayed subbed non stop from launch all the way till the introduction of the galactic command crap and the removal of pvp gear. After that nonsense I never felt the need to maintain a sub, and ironically I'm willing to bet I probably still log in and play more hours than you.

The system is draconian and addresses ONE symptom, not the actual problems...or did you miss that part? You must also have missed the part where I explicitly stated that I did not object to it at first.

There's nothing draconian about it and I didn't miss your other complaints I just ignored them considering things like premades are not even remotely an issue.

The solipsism of your overarching argument is as incredible as your cherry picking. Yours is the only valid opinion and you never address the real challenges issued, only the low hanging fruit. You argue in bad faith and that is...well, not surprising honestly. :cool:

I argue in facts. If the lockout was actually a problem they would have removed. Fact is Chris has come out and said that there's more people playing pvp now. I'll take his word over yours.

Again, not surprised. The evidence is in the continued desertions, the increased backfills, the players who don't contribute rather than desert...but ignoring the evidence makes it easier to argue your case.

What evidence? You got a spreadsheet recording how often that happens? Because my experience is that people rarely leave now and I can't remember the last time I've gotten a backfill recently. Before the lockout people leaving in mass was common because they couldn't get carried. Now people stick around and actually try instead of just leaving or afking in a corner.

The lockout timer and the win requirements for the daily/weekly has been the best thing they have done recently. Now they just need to bring back the 4.x legacy warzone comms and pvp gear and everything would be great again.

Edited by Raansu

The system is draconian and addresses ONE symptom

don't really wanna get involved in you guys kindergarten drama but the system is working pretty well, having players, even if it's only one, regularly leave warzones to cause they think the game is lost will have a negative effect on the other 15 players experience and enjoyment in that warzone. Looking at it purely from a single-player perspective I can agree with you that the system is suboptimal, hopefully, the map preferences option that is planned will help with some of that, but devs have to look at the general gameplay experience and from that point of view the system is working well

that doesn't mean there can't be improvements, one interesting suggestion i read based on how other MMO games work is that there is a scaling lockout timer, initially it's two minutes and then scales to 15/20/30 with an account bound timer. if you dc or something that's out of your control you only have to wait two minutes, but if you regularly decide to leave then the timer is more significant

Edited by RikuvonDrake

don't really wanna get involved in you guys kindergarten drama but the system is working pretty well, having players, even if it's only one, regularly leave warzones to cause they think the game is lost will have a negative effect on the other 15 players experience and enjoyment in that warzone. Looking at it purely from a single-player perspective I can agree with you that the system is suboptimal, hopefully, the map preferences option that is planned will help with some of that, but devs have to look at the general gameplay experience and from that point of view the system is working well

that doesn't mean there can't be improvements, one interesting suggestion i read based on how other MMO games work is that there is a scaling lockout timer, initially it's two minutes and then scales to 15/20/30 with an account bound timer. if you dc or something that's out of your control you only have to wait two minutes, but if you regularly decide to leave then the timer is more significant

The system as it’s setup is draconian, not the actual lockout. The idea itself isn’t the problem, it’s how it’s implemented as a stand alone system that doesn’t address any of the reasons people may want to leave or leave by mistake or DC.

Add the win only requirement and you can be in a situation where an hours worth of game time feels like you’ve not accomplished anything if you have teams (beyond your control) who don’t play to win. There are already a list of things that need to happen to the improve the pvp experience (like fixing Desync and broken maps) and there are lists with suggestions on how to make the lock out work better.

I do like the idea you proposed that it starts much smaller (for regs), like 2 mins and then accumulates if you keep leaving. That is certainly better than it is now.

But there are other things they can do as well to eliminate a few other reasons people leave.

1. Give players some sort of choice feature for maps. It doesn’t need to be full choice and many people have offered up ideas here and on discord of ways this could work. Adding this would eliminate the most legit reason people have for leaving, “they hate x map”

2. Allow gear to be put on and off before a match starts as well as change utility points. I know you can do the utilities in ranked, but it doesn’t work in some 8v8 maps and if you forget to swap a gear piece before you accept a pop, you can not swap from pve to pvp setup.

3. The game can already tell when you DC or have connection problems. So if you DC, you shouldn’t be penalised. Sure you may get one or two clowns who will pull out their network cord, but the vast majority of cases will be legit DCs and they shouldn’t be punished.

4. Change the win requirement back to a points system, but with a higher ratio of 3:1 or 4:1. That way if you get multiple matches with people who don’t try, you don’t feel like you’re wasting your time.

5. Incentivise players to play to win with better rewards based on the medal system (that would need a revamp to work).

6. Better matchmaking

I don’t think any reasonable player agrees with people rage quitting because they aren’t ahead or winning a match. And I don’t think anyone reasonable thinks it’s fair when they leave the team in the lurch.

But it’s also reasonable to have teams who try to win and not farm numbers cause they’re bored, don’t like the map or epeening. So there needs to be a pressure valve for players who are now forced to stick around when people waste their time by not trying.

Fair is fair. If 1 player leaving is unfair for the team and they need to be punished, then any team members who don’t try and win are equally being unfair to the team.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Only because you want to abuse the system and just leave every time a match isn't going your way.

No, it's because I don't want a repeat of what happened Saturday when I'm in a WZ for less then 15 seconds, got booted out of it (why I don't know) and couldn't queue for 15 minutes to do my one WZ for the Daily PO.

lmao ok buddy. Maybe blame BW for making the subscription unappealing to pure pvpers like me instead of running around with the ridiculous opinion that what you say holds more weight just because you maintained a subscription. I stayed subbed non stop from launch all the way till the introduction of the galactic command crap and the removal of pvp gear. After that nonsense I never felt the need to maintain a sub, and ironically I'm willing to bet I probably still log in and play more hours than you.

There's nothing draconian about it and I didn't miss your other complaints I just ignored them considering things like premades are not even remotely an issue.

I argue in facts. If the lockout was actually a problem they would have removed. Fact is Chris has come out and said that there's more people playing pvp now. I'll take his word over yours.

What evidence? You got a spreadsheet recording how often that happens? Because my experience is that people rarely leave now and I can't remember the last time I've gotten a backfill recently. Before the lockout people leaving in mass was common because they couldn't get carried. Now people stick around and actually try instead of just leaving or afking in a corner.

The lockout timer and the win requirements for the daily/weekly has been the best thing they have done recently. Now they just need to bring back the 4.x legacy warzone comms and pvp gear and everything would be great again.

Taken as a whole, the deserter debuff is draconian because it comes with class imbalance...I won't type out the rest, because you will ignore it. Premades are an issue when they do not play objectives. They frequently don't, as you observed in another thread. You seem to believe desertion hurts the other 7 members of a team. What about the premades that don't care for winning and don't try?

You don't argue in facts. Or rather, you don't argue just in facts, you lace those facts with whatever supposition suits your case to make your point. It's called poisoning the well. Let's not forget the game flaws that happen and reward a player with a debuff (accepting a match only to be debuffed because the game engine failed).

The only point on which we agree is that legacy warzone commendations and PvP gear should return.

Edited by Sappharan

Oh no, you got a random DC and have to wait a few minutes to queue!!! Say it aint so!!!! :rolleyes: Use that time to take a break, go do dailies or run crew skill missions on your alts. Its only like 15 minutes, big whoop.

There are many, many, MANY people who only play this game for PvP. Not being able to do that for 15 minutes when that’s all you want to do is frustrating. Imagine you were craving a specific sandwich from a store that was fifteen minutes away from house. You manage to buy that sandwich, and then when you get home and take a bite out of that sandwich, it suddenly crumbles to dust in your hands. How irritated would you be?

If you're frequently DCing maybe you should stop queueing. Did you ever consider the impact you're having on the other 7 players with your poor internet? Call your ISP and fix your internet instead of blaming BW for implementing a legitimate lockout system.

SWTOR has a notoriously bad engine, especially in PvP. There are folks with computers that could launch a space shuttle and military-grade internet who get disconnected. And even if the person’s internet connection isn’t great, it’s clearly good enough in general to play SWTOR, otherwise they wouldn’t have bothered downloading the game. It’s a touch hypocritical that the person who unsubs to avoid spending money on the game is recommending that another person spend even more money to upgrade what I’m assuming is a perfectly fine internet connection.

There are many, many, MANY people who only play this game for PvP. Not being able to do that for 15 minutes when that’s all you want to do is frustrating. Imagine you were craving a specific sandwich from a store that was fifteen minutes away from house. You manage to buy that sandwich, and then when you get home and take a bite out of that sandwich, it suddenly crumbles to dust in your hands. How irritated would you be?

SWTOR has a notoriously bad engine, especially in PvP. There are folks with computers that could launch a space shuttle and military-grade internet who get disconnected. And even if the person’s internet connection isn’t great, it’s clearly good enough in general to play SWTOR, otherwise they wouldn’t have bothered downloading the game. It’s a touch hypocritical that the person who unsubs to avoid spending money on the game is recommending that another person spend even more money to upgrade what I’m assuming is a perfectly fine internet connection.

If they are getting disconnected constantly there is clearly an issue on their end, point blank. DC's are not a common thing.

If they are getting disconnected constantly there is clearly an issue on their end, point blank. DC's are not a common thing.

Just because it doesn’t happen to you, doesn’t mean it’s not uncommon. The US internet is rubbish and most people understand this. You can lag enough that it can make you disconnect from a WZ but not the actual game. I’ve tracked when and where this can happen.

And yes, it can be on your end and if it is, the player needs to discuss options with their ISP. But it can also be anywhere between your ISP’s infrastructure and the server, it doesn’t need to be the server or your own home connection causing disconnects.

The US backbone is fraught with issues and so is the EU. Just last week, people on spectrum were DCing or had massive red x spikes. Everyone on the forums was blaming the server and Bioware, when it was infact the ISPs peering path to the server causing the issues.

Then on a seperate note, I was having issues myself tonight with the connection between the west coast and the east coast that was causing massive red X spikes. It wasn’t my connection or the pacific cable to the US having the issue, it was a router on the east coast, that was the closest to the server farm.

I was able to steer around the problem router with WTFast using some trial and error testing. But in that time I got DCD’d from 2 matches and I couldn’t play for 30 mins.

Anyone without WTFast and going through that hop would have had to stop playing. That’s not the players fault and it’s not the game servers, but it is Bioware’s fault if players are locked out of playing pvp for 15+ minutes at a time because they have setup a system that doesn’t take disconnects into account when applying a lock out timer that’s designed to only punish rage quitters.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Just because it doesn’t happen to you, doesn’t mean it’s not uncommon. The US internet is rubbish and most people understand this. You can lag enough that it can make you disconnect from a WZ but not the actual game. I’ve tracked when and where this can happen.

And yes, it can be on your end and if it is, the player needs to discuss options with their ISP. But it can also be anywhere between your ISP’s infrastructure and the server, it doesn’t need to be the server or your own home connection causing disconnects.

The US backbone is fraught with issues and so is the EU. Just last week, people on spectrum were DCing or had massive red x spikes. Everyone on the forums was blaming the server and Bioware, when it was infact the ISPs peering path to the server causing the issues.

Then on a seperate note, I was having issues myself tonight with the connection between the west coast and the east coast that was causing massive red X spikes. It wasn’t my connection or the pacific cable to the US having the issue, it was a router on the east coast, that was the closest to the server farm.

I was able to steer around the problem router with WTFast using some trial and error testing. But in that time I got DCD’d from 2 matches and I couldn’t play for 30 mins.

Anyone without WTFast and going through that hop would have had to stop playing. That’s not the players fault and it’s not the game servers, but it is Bioware’s fault if players are locked out of playing pvp for 15+ minutes at a time because they have setup a system that doesn’t take disconnects into account when applying a lock out timer that’s designed to only punish rage quitters.

Australian internet is even worse. If I have ping less than 300 it's a good day. I've lost connection so many times for unknown reasons then copped a 15min lockout each time. I've also started using WTFast which seems to be reducing the random DCs and brings my ping down to 270 which is nice.

Australian internet is even worse. If I have ping less than 300 it's a good day. I've lost connection so many times for unknown reasons then copped a 15min lockout each time. I've also started using WTFast which seems to be reducing the random DCs and brings my ping down to 270 which is nice.

The Australian NBN back bone is excellent. It’s actually better than a lot of the EU or US because it’s all one system.

The problems arise based on what type of connection you can have in your area and also which ISP you choose.

If you have fibre to the home, fibre to the curb or cable, then you have the best connections. If you have Wireless broadband, fibre to the node or Satellite, then you have the potential for much worse connection.

The ISP is important too because some won’t pay for enough bandwidth provisioning and try and squeeze as many people onto the service as possible. Telstra, Optus, Vodafone, iinet, Dodo, etc are some of the worst at doing this. Also any ISP that uses the Telstra international peering arrangements will have 30-50ms more than those that don’t.

I’m in rural NSW on fibre to the home. I get 150ms to the west coast of US and 90% of the time it’s rock solid. Where as 90% of my connection issues to the servers are US problems between the west and east coast.

Where are you connecting from? If you are in NSW, QLD or VIC, you should be able to get 150-160ms speeds to LA. If you can do that, choose one of the LA WTFast hops as your first and then pick one of the Atlanta Georgia hops as your last. That should give you between 210–230ms to the server if you have a good ISP.

But I have a sneaking suspicion that you’re with Telstra or an ISP that uses Telstra’s international sub cable and peering to the US. If so, look at an ISP called superloop. They use their own sub cable and peer with Zayo in the US.

The Australian NBN back bone is excellent. It’s actually better than a lot of the EU or US because it’s all one system.

The problems arise based on what type of connection you can have in your area and also which ISP you choose.

If you have fibre to the home, fibre to the curb or cable, then you have the best connections. If you have Wireless broadband, fibre to the node or Satellite, then you have the potential for much worse connection.

The ISP is important too because some won’t pay for enough bandwidth provisioning and try and squeeze as many people onto the service as possible. Telstra, Optus, Vodafone, iinet, Dodo, etc are some of the worst at doing this. Also any ISP that uses the Telstra international peering arrangements will have 30-50ms more than those that don’t.

I’m in rural NSW on fibre to the home. I get 150ms to the west coast of US and 90% of the time it’s rock solid. Where as 90% of my connection issues to the servers are US problems between the west and east coast.

Where are you connecting from? If you are in NSW, QLD or VIC, you should be able to get 150-160ms speeds to LA. If you can do that, choose one of the LA WTFast hops as your first and then pick one of the Atlanta Georgia hops as your last. That should give you between 210–230ms to the server if you have a good ISP.

But I have a sneaking suspicion that you’re with Telstra or an ISP that uses Telstra’s international sub cable and peering to the US. If so, look at an ISP called superloop. They use their own sub cable and peer with Zayo in the US.

I'm in VIC. We have no kind of connection to our home. I'm tethering my phone at the moment. All the houses around us have NBN but due to screw-ups in the rollout they skipped us. We contacted NBN and long story short we're probably going to have to go to the TC Ombudsman.

Thanks for your advice, I'll give superloop a call and see what they say. I've never ever had ping less than 240 but I've always used Telstra, iinet, Optus or TPG. WTFast seems to help stop the random DCs but it hasn't improved my ping much.

It would be good if there was some way the devs could tell when someone has left a match early due to internet issues. Maybe they're worries people will abuse it? For example pulling the internet cable out of their PC to pretend they dc'ed so they can just log back in and re-queue.