Announcing Legacy of the Sith, the next expansion for Star Wars: The Old Republic!

DanielSteed

• Dev Post

Hey everyone!

We are thrilled to announce the next era for Star Wars: The Old Republic! The year-long celebration of our 10th anniversary kicks off with Legacy of the Sith, a new expansion that marks the starting point to a full year of galactic intrigue, conflict, and mystery. Legacy of the Sith will send players to the darkest depths and farthest reaches of the galaxy and unlock the ability to choose your personal combat style, allowing for more options than ever before when it comes to living and breathing your own Star Wars fantasy. To read more, you can check out the article we published here.

If you would like to watch a recording of the livestream, along with a pre-show hosted by members of the team, you can find links below.

Twitch - Livestream VoD

YouTube -

The YouTube video also has timestamps in the description for each section!

Edited by JackieKo

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and unlock the ability to choose your personal combat style, allowing for more options than ever before

Awesome. Truly excellent news, assuming it means more of a return to the old pre-4.0 'skill trees' style. :D

p.s. Nothing announced for GSF though, huh? ugh :(

---

To read more, you can check out the article we published here.

uhh, where ...? ( no see any clicky yet? ) :confused:

--

*EDIT: here's the clicky for ya ---> https://www.swtor.com/legacyofthesith (and for anyone else reading) :ph_great_update:

Edited by Nee-Elder
hyperlink clicky https://www.swtor.com/legacyofthesith ...for Daniel's OP ?

Does this mean we'll be able to make a single Jedi character who can fight in all the ways Obi-Wan Kenobi does?

• Single lightsaber (Guardian)
  • Two lightsabers (Sentinel)
  • Force Crush (Warrior)
  • Blaster Pistol (BH/SM)
  • Sniper Rifle (Sniper)

Does this mean we'll be able to make a single Jedi character who can fight in all the ways Obi-Wan Kenobi does?

• Single lightsaber (Guardian)
  • Two lightsabers (Sentinel)
  • Force Crush (Warrior)
  • Blaster Pistol (BH/SM)
  • Sniper Rifle (Sniper)

No force and tech will be kept separate

I think this game has great potential, especially its story, it is wat attracted me the most, and this expansion lacks a lot in this department, you have hole patches with no story at all or just a small sequence when they add a companion, and even that some times is anti-climatic, but when you do a story patch is cool like when you defeated the emperor or you chase Malgus in the dungeons, so what I really really hope is for good and more regular content drops in the aftermath of the launch this time. Use this gold mine don't let it go to waist.

Not sure if you can answer this, but

with the new char customisations, are they going to have a 'free' period, where people can change old chars to the new ones.

I've 90+ chars on SF, it would be a shame not to be able to use the new system to improve them :) (without paying ludicrous amounts of cc's )

My guess is no one will notice. Which is a shame. I want some NPCs to notice if my Jedi Consular starts using Force Lightning. I want Nadia to become alarmed. I would love Scourge to congratulate him on becoming a sith and welcoming him tp the Empire (my shadow is a republic saboteur after all().

This has got my attention

Return to the Underwater Depths

The Sith Empire has invaded Manaan to seize its abundance of kolto, a vital medical resource on all sides of the war. Battle through underwater facilities for control of the planet with separate Imperial and Republic Storylines. Completing the Manaan storyline will unlock a new base of operations for your faction, along with a new daily area!

Now can you expand our stronghold to include some underwater areas pretty please. You don't need to increase the hooks (at least not for me) as I am not even using all the hooks right now as it looks too crowded.

Please tell us that we'll finally get payoff for being double agents, and be allowed to change factions?

I'd love to use a blaster pistol on my agent, but please don't give her a lightsaber...

I am SUPER HAPPY about Alignment restrictions on certain class choices (at least cross-faction!).

Edited by Xina_LA

Why so many "DARK" undertones? I get light vs dark but shouldn't that be 50/50 or close to it. Dark descent, Legacy of Sith and the whole 2022 with a Dark Galactic Season2?

Can we do "Legacy of the Jedi"? and "Light ascend" or "Shadows of Light" ....yikes just got tired of being in the dark already :D

Edited by Christie_Swift

This has got my attention

Return to the Underwater Depths

The Sith Empire has invaded Manaan to seize its abundance of kolto, a vital medical resource on all sides of the war. Battle through underwater facilities for control of the planet with separate Imperial and Republic Storylines. Completing the Manaan storyline will unlock a new base of operations for your faction, along with a new daily area!

Now can you expand our stronghold to include some underwater areas pretty please. You don't need to increase the hooks (at least not for me) as I am not even using all the hooks right now as it looks too crowded.

My thoughts exactly. Our Manaan stronghold always felt rushed and half fnished. Now is the time to expand the underwater portion!

I was VERY excited until I have seen 5 new levels... I say no new character levels. Please leave our level as is. At the end game level, so many people are crying everything is too hard. Its because they are not prepared for higher levels. Plus I just don't want to grind for higher gear again...

Combat styles.

I'm curious to know more on what abilities will be managed and how Dark & Light requirements play into Combat Styles.

1. Will we be locked only to re-spec into Imperial-side force classes if we have mostly DS? and vice versa

2. Will entire abilities be swapped upon re-spec from Republic -> Imperial or just unique core abilities of the Advance classes? or will we be able to select from a large pool of abilities... individually & available? i.e Blade Storm -> Force Scream. Ideally, I would like to be able to use Guardian animations + inquisitor lightning animations together

3. Will Defensive abilities be affected too? (Tank Jedi Guardian using Force Barrier + Heal)

4. How severe will Dark & Light req play into abilities? i.e We can never use any Imperial/DS ability without any DS and vice versa?

5. How will ability resource be handled? Guardian using sith lightning (Force points vs Combat focus)

6. How will legacy abilities be affected? Heroic Moment? Family Tree? (i.e my character's mother was a sith and was taught how-to use lightning :rak_03: lol)

I'm really intrigued by this new Combat Styles system and hope more will be revealed later on

Very curious on how combat styles will work. FOr example, is the weapon type tyied to the style? If so, then a Vanguard who wants to use a pistol will be fire based powertech. I think this will be the case because the animations for advanced class abilities (at least for now) are specific to the weapon type. FOr example, shadow and assassin animations for the most part assume a double bladed saber.

Im assuming they aren't going for a total revamp here so just making it so a force user can pick any advanced class assuming light/dark requirements are met. I don't think we are getting a Flame based pyrotech using a sniper rifle.

Edited by Viraxis

I think I get it. You pick your story, ie: Smuggler then you pick your playstyle, ie: Sniper. You are essentially a sniper on the Republic side with the Smuggler's story. I thought you were changing weapons like say Scrapper with a rifle with whole new animations.