• 7 months later...
  • Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
*stealths in* Please please let Vector survive the expansion! *stealths out*

Hear hear!

Hands down best guy / man-bug-colony to romance, and I'll happily say that in direct contradiction to this thread's title!

Let's compare:

- Aric Jorgan: has issues expressing his feelings, but ultimately one of the better ones

- Corso Riggs: jealousy and control issues,

first tries to proposition you while drunk

- Doc: constantly masks insecurities by puffing up his own ego and acting sleazy

- Iresso: Honestly seems like a decent guy - my issue was feeling a lack of chemistry built

- Torian: Another of the better ones, though young and comes with daddy issues

- Quinn: Stiff, hesitant, questionable loyalty....fun romance to play, but ultimately full of issues

- Andronikos: "reformed" bad boy - even if he grows attached, he puts himself first.

- Vector: Diplomat by profession, strong communicator, poetic, supremely empathetic by nature and circumstance, never jealous, yet capable of mature love and romance.

In the real world, it is the qualities Vector shows that I actually find most attractive and romantic.

• 7 months later...

I ended up actually liking Vector's romance. It's not my favorite(that is a tie between Andronikos and Torian), but it was cute and it fit the lady Agent pretty well.

The Agent I'm currently(trying) to level won't romance him, but I feel they'll still get along very well.

Hear hear!

Hands down best guy / man-bug-colony to romance, and I'll happily say that in direct contradiction to this thread's title!

Let's compare:

- Aric Jorgan: has issues expressing his feelings, but ultimately one of the better ones

(CAVEAT: I'm a guy, not a girl. I play mostly female characters in games because I'd rather look at pixels of women than pixels of men. There, I said it. I'm lame, and I like ogling pixels. Are you happy that I admit it?)

I was initially conflicted about the cyborg-human/cathar aspect, but it worked out well in the end. Pity about the cheesy line you open the whole thing with, but OK, it amused me.

- Corso Riggs: jealousy and control issues,

first tries to proposition you while drunk

And are you saying that never, ever happens in real life? No guy ever propositions a girl when he's drunk? (Come to think of it, no girl ever propositions a guy when *she* is drunk?)

- Doc: constantly masks insecurities by puffing up his own ego and acting sleazy

Sure, Doc is a lounge lizard, but he's a likeable lounge lizard.

- Iresso: Honestly seems like a decent guy - my issue was feeling a lack of chemistry built

This is one of those romances where two people tucked up tight in their respective shells learn to emerge into the light. And yes, he's a good guy hampered by a difficult history.

- Torian: Another of the better ones, though young and comes with daddy issues

I haven't played the BH story this far on a female.

- Quinn: Stiff, hesitant, questionable loyalty....fun romance to play, but ultimately full of issues

I haven't played the SW story this far on a female. It will be interesting to see how it compares to romancing DS Jaesa.

- Andronikos: "reformed" bad boy - even if he grows attached, he puts himself first.

I think "reformed" is the wrong word. I'd also call him a bad *man*, for the difference that makes to the connotations of "bad". His post-romance letter (not the KotFE Chapter II letter, my SI isn't that far in her story) shows that in that head of his there's a pirate *and* a philosopher. I liked his story.

- Vector: Diplomat by profession, strong communicator, poetic, supremely empathetic by nature and circumstance, never jealous, yet capable of mature love and romance.

In the real world, it is the qualities Vector shows that I actually find most attractive and romantic.

This is another one where I haven't got a female character far enough to see the romance.

Girl gamer chiming in - there is literally nothing appealing about this guy. He is an ant. He only ever talks about ants, the hive or finding other hives, and if I leave his armor piercing combat stance on then he stands in the storeroom of my ship pumping out a nasty green pheromone cloud.

Whoever wrote this particular romance - why is the only option for a female Imperial Agent a dehumanized bugman? The flirt options are so ridiculously contrived, he sits there nattering away about his ants and all of a sudden I come out with "HOW ABOUT SOME ALONE TIME WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE" and he's all "that would be nice, also THE HIVE IS CALLING ME I HEAR THE SONG OF THE UNIVERSE!"

The whole point of a good romance subplot is the object of your character's affections is meant to have some likable qualities. This dude is repellent, it's like trying to flirt with a rock. A rock covered in ants. I'm keeping up with the romance sub-plot purely because I keep thinking "There's GOT to be something that saves this from being completely awful...right?" and like a car accident, I just can't quite look away.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying romance sub-plots should be lovey-dovey cuddlefests, but this guy kind of makes me throw up in my mouth a bit.

You haven't romanced Corso, have you? :D Now that guy is repellent. I actually like Vector, outside of the whole bug thing he's quite sweet. He has the type of personality I would go for in real life (diplomatic, smart). Torian is my favourite however.

Now Corso... I can't deal with the guy and his jealousy issues or his chauvinism ("Hur, I know best than those silly women"), he ends up alone in my ship. Haven't tried the other romances so I can't comment on those, but Jorgan has good chemistry with my trooper... if only he wasn't a cat man.

Edited by Maevena

• 1 month later...
I am a guy who prefers playing female characters for the obvious reasons. That said, I romanced Vector Hylis on my Imp Agent because I have always been fascinated by the concept of the "Hive Mind" ever since the Borg from Star Trek were debuted. I personally think that Bioware did an incredibly good job depicting what a romance between a normal person and a character who is part of a hive mind would look like... but that is just my opinion.

I love that this thread keeps popping up :)

Vector Hyllis is probably my favorite romance of the game. He's so sweet, albeit a bit strange... which for me only adds to the air of mystery around him. I'm a sucker for tall, dark, handsome and mysterious.

(For statistical purposes, actual female gamer here. In my 40's, married for a quarter century :cool: )

Edited by Lunazen

• 5 weeks later...

Out of my characters (all female):

Warrior: Slept around some until Lana (What? From the start, this toon was bi.)

Trooper: Monogamous with Aric, Married (Amusingly, I don't check stories before I played so the Trooper being a Cathar was a coincidence.)

Inquisitor: Sex and relationships is for lesser beings. Power is all that matters. (Revel is really creepy because of this and is going out an airlock when they meet in KOTFE.)

Smuggler: Flirt if it'll make the job more profitable but don't give up the goods unless there's major gain. Doesn't really want to be tied down while there's new places to explore and more money to be made. (Oddly, I didn't have Corso flirt with me. To me, he comes across as the good friend who wants to be the good ol' boy uncle to any rugrats I would squat out.)

Agent: Would have gone with the Chiss officer on Hoth in a second. Whether it's because he's another Chiss and, after the events of Chapter 2, her faith in the Empire has been severely shaken or because she is genuinely into him would have been fun to explore as a romance plot. (Vector....On one hand, very dreamy and, after the events in the second chapter, he would be a good match as a supportive if strange partner. If the connection with the hive was only mental, she could probably work with it. But....he literally has a colony of bugs living in his skin. I feel like that would end in an awkward gynecological appointment and that just goes a little too far.)

Edited by Thepyrethatburns

• 8 months later...
I love that this thread keeps popping up :)

For you then. :p And for the thread that is pure gold.

Vector being mentally an insect doesn't bug me as much, because I'm fascinated by the idea od human hive mind. But. Here's the thing: I only just met him, placed him on board,

he wanted to take a leave for some killiks research so I let him and he took a break (Black screen). When he returned, he smiles and goes "is our relationship becoming unproffesional?" My cipher freaked out and the dialogue kept turning stranger and stranger. Something like:

V: I want to know if there is something between us

C: Well if you don't know it, we have nothing to talk about (turns back xD )

V: But I'm not sure you would...

C: Figure it out yourself.

V: *sigh*

xD But he keeps on trying from that time, and I'm wordering when he gives up.

I enjoy crpg romances, but this character's just doomed to be single :D She's too much a workaholic and a total Empire servant to bond with anyone. And her beloved minister is already taken. Sigh. Maybe she could fall for Watcher X, but he disappeared. Sigh again.

Btw let's start a guild, The Mums. ;)

Forgive my English. Doing my best. :3

Edited by wheresexit

Jumping on this as I've just finished my Agent storyline quest. (Go 250% XP! And for statistics, I'm also a girl gamer, in my late 30s, total Star Wars fangirl since childhood.)

I've tended to stick close to Force sensitive characters and enjoyed my Knight and Inquisitor thoroughly. I didn't romance anyone on either my Knight or Inquisitor until Lana and Theron. My super lightside JK fantasized about "forgetting" Doc on some planet somewhere while my SI barely noticed that Andronikos was even on her ship.

I hadn't read anything about the IA storyline at all so I didn't realize that Vector would be a companion for my female agent. When my agent first met him, she thought that Vector was strange but incredibly sweet, helpful, and naive, all of which my agent found quite endearing. When I realized he'd be a companion, I happily switched to him because I was *that* ready to get rid of Kaliyo.

But then I realized he was the romance option, which was kind of conflicting because as sweet as he was, he was still a bit... weird. Okay, a lot weird. I had never romanced a companion during the class story before, I decided to go for it, simply because Vector was the only male romance option (aside from Theron) whose personality I actually liked.

As a player, I found Vector to be quite well written. He is understandably off-putting because of his ties with the Killik and bugs aren't exactly something that most people like. The hive-mind aspect of his character was probably the most interesting. It took awhile to get used to the fact that he uses "we" as his pronoun.

All in all, I didn't expect to like Vector as much as I did but he ended up becoming one of my favorite companions, right up there with Lana, Theron, and Kira. Reading through this thread, I know some people really saw him as creepy but I didn't see that at all. I ended up playing my IA gray, leaning toward light. To my IA, Vector was very much something she really wanted to be but no longer could be completely: sincere, honorable, patriotic and wholly dedicated to the Empire. She thought his dedication to both his role as the Dawn Herald and as part of her crew was admirable.

After playing through all the IA companion missions, Vector is easily the most noble and honest of all the people on the ship. The duplicitousness of Kaliyo, Scorpio, Lokin and even Raina at the end was insane. The Vector romance was somewhat slow but incredibly sweet. I hadn't planned on playing my IA through KOTET but I may do just that for the eventuality that Vector will come back since all the romance companions will supposedly be back. My IA loves her sweet, strange protector.

Edited by Temprienne

there's no way in hell that you didn't do that on pourpose

Not at all. :jawa_angel: But Vector romance is bugged.

After you reject his marriage proposal, which does not work, next time they talk, there's a line "you are my husband".

And why can't you tell him he was just for fun after you slept with him? (what kind of romance is that? ;D )

I'm thinking of an alt. LS. Not political, just a do-gooder. Undecided between JK and JC. It would probably be my last character. Opinions?

In my opinion, all the romances suck. i was more drawn in by characters that the game did not allow me to romance.

Here are the categories all romances fit in.

. Juvenile

. Possessive

. Creepy.

. Clingy.

. Ultra Clingy

. Mega Ultra clingy.

. Player character clingy

Edited by cool-dude

• 2 months later...

Dear everyone,

I am the OP of this thread. I recently decided to revisit this charming little game to see how the story had progressed.

I regret to inform you all that after five and a half long years, Vector - quite unlike cheese, wine and whiskey - has not improved with age. As I finished the romance and thus far he has had exactly nothing further to say on the topic, I took a walk down memory lane via YouTube and can only reconfirm that his flirtation dialogue and the agent's responses drop woodenly into conversations previously exclusive to the extermination aisle of your local hardware store. The only cheer his presence has caused me is amusement at his standing idly behind me as as I flirt shamelessly with both Lana and Theron; I assume because communing with the hivemind is more important than reading the NUMEROUS. SIGNS. of an actively disinterested girlfriend or wife or whatever it is I ended up being. I am looking forward to his eventual departure, hopefully via the X-70B Phantom airlock.

Given the nature of my OP I am somewhat perturbed by how this thread morphed into a shrine dedicated to the very object of my displeasure. I can only say that clouds of formic acid generally do not feature in my idea of a desirable relationship and arguably they should probably not feature collectively in yours.

If my agent could have traded Vector out for Saganu on Hoth I think her life would have improved immeasurably. Alas, Theron will have to do.

Edit: Although actually, Theron's not that great so far either - playing on the Empire side, I've had barely any opportunities to flirt with him and then suddenly my agent is like "HO HO LIKE ME SO MUCH YOU'RE SENDING ME AWAY RIGHT" and he is like "THAT IS ABSOLUTELY THE CASE, WOMAN I BARELY KNOW." I assume it flows better when you're on the Republic side.

Edited by Reluctance

Edit: Although actually, Theron's not that great so far either - playing on the Empire side, I've had barely any opportunities to flirt with him and then suddenly my agent is like "HO HO LIKE ME SO MUCH YOU'RE SENDING ME AWAY RIGHT" and he is like "THAT IS ABSOLUTELY THE CASE, WOMAN I BARELY KNOW." I assume it flows better when you're on the Republic side.

There are definite signs that the writers really, really like Lana Beniko, but aren't so enamoured of Theron. That said, the character I'm finally going to KotFE-romance Theron with (for real, this time, honest)(1) is ready to start KotFE (Shadow in tank spec who, for once, didn't romance her romance-target companion, nor flirt with anyone else except The Pacifist), but I'm having serious "do I want to go on with this train wreck" issues about the whole game.(2)

(1) I planned this on my Commandogirl main, but for reasons previously documented in these very forums, it didn't happen that way.

(2) I'm not super pleased about the Galactic Command thing, but it's OK,(3) I guess. However, the War on Iokath story is bugged for me, and doesn't offer me the obviously-missing third choice to tell both the Republic and the Empire to haul their sorry a*ses off my turf.

(3) I've built good enough gear using it to challenge the notionally better-geared tanks in my guild's Ops group for aggro generation, and to save a wipe against the hovertank bosses in Explosive Conflict. It was really fun finishing these two enraged monsters (maybe 3-5% health left each, but still) by myself without getting killed, with the whole group cheering me on in Discord.

• 1 month later...
Dear everyone,

I am the OP of this thread. I recently decided to revisit this charming little game to see how the story had progressed...

...Given the nature of my OP I am somewhat perturbed by how this thread morphed into a shrine dedicated to the very object of my displeasure. I can only say that clouds of formic acid generally do not feature in my idea of a desirable relationship and arguably they should probably not feature collectively in yours.

I have been slowly making my way through this 78 page, 6 year-old thread (talk about staying power) and about half-way through I wondered what OP would think of what it had evolved into. So, getting to this was pure gold. Granted, I'm with the dissenters here, as I love Vector so far, but... It still made my day. :D

While I've only played a male agent (at least, far enough through the story to reach Alderaan), I will say Vector is one of my favorite Agent companions. Kaliyo has some funny moments, but I was really just wondering why my Agent hadn't ditched her yet - having a history of backstabbing everyone you partner up with is a bit of a turn-off for him, you see. Dr. Lokin was a cool sort of mentor character for my Agent (I do like how he's always friendly and helpful, but is not remotely trustworthy), but I felt like nothing really came of his conversations. I wanted to like Raina, but I found her boring and my Agent didn't like how she handled the situation with her father at all, so that romance path kind of crashed and burned on two levels (oh, and the dialogue-says-you're-married-even-if-you-shut-them-down bug/oversight happens with Raina, too). I like SCORPIO, but much like Kaliyo, I don't see why my Agent didn't space her at the first available opportunity.

That leaves Vector, who's:

A: A decent guy.

B: Not a spy.

C: Not a chronic backstabber.

D: Loyal (I guess this is the same thing as point C).

E: Actually interesting.

I have two low-level female Agents, and when I get around to them, I'll probably have one romance Vector and the other be totally grossed out by him.