Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?

MamaSok
03.02.2012 , 12:43 PM | #971
Ashara, with a Sugar Glider! I can very easily visualize that.

Kioma
03.02.2012 , 12:45 PM | #972
Quote: Originally Posted by Galbatorrix View Post
Ok, so this will be my last post in this thread, because honestly, I'm being made out to be some sort of bad guy just because I wanted a "toggle" (note that I have no problems with SGR for the people that want it.. yet I'm still being attacked).

So, what if the default for ALL flirt option was "off". You would then have the option to turn on "opposite sex flirtation", turn on "same sex flirtation" and a third option to turn on both.

That seems about as fair as you could possibly get for all parties involved. Does that sound fair to you guys/gals?
In all honesty I would find such a toggle to be unnecessary. It's really not that hard to just not choose flirt options. However if a toggle were to be implemented I'd expect it would filter all forms of romance. Whether there would be separate toggles for same sex or opposite sex is another matter, of course.

So yes, I'd consider that more fair. But not having any toggles would be just as fair.

ProfessorCaprion
03.02.2012 , 12:47 PM | #973
Okay, not going to reply to any specific post because I'm sure it'll probably be deleted for being offensive before I can even finish typing this line. That's good, because it really WAS offensive! But anyway...

Something I've seen a few SGRA detractors throw out as an excuse to ban the content is the "guy playing a lesbian to get his kicks" argument. As if most of us were basement-dwelling loners who have to get jollies by seeing two girls together in a brief cut-scene, because clearly you can't find things any racier than that on the internet!

Even if that were the case and every single person fighting for SGRAs was just a guy wanting to see some Mako-on-Vette action...

... so what? Again, you're not forced to see this content unless you take the obviously labeled options that lead to it.

Furthermore (and again, we're living in hyperbole world where the game is played by nothing but lesbian-fetish men), this is still the addition of content! When BioWare adds PVP content, I don't fanatically oppose it or try to limit it so I can't see it. I don't argue that "PVP content? That's only added for a bunch of guys trying to make up for some inadequacies in their real lives!" Even though I do find PVP personally offensive, I don't feel the need to explain why I hate PVP and use my personal beliefs for any reason to limit in-game content.

Added content means more happy players. More happy players mean more money for the game. More money for the game means more resources to improve the parts YOU like.

I'd really like to believe that most of the player base is rational, and won't get upset at just seeing the possibility of something they don't like existing, of course.

Kioma
03.02.2012 , 12:47 PM | #974
Quote: Originally Posted by Galius View Post
Is asking for the removal of all flirt and romance options offensive?
Not offensive, but it is a bit silly. The developers put romance into the game intentionally and seem very proud of their decision to do so.

Quote:
Just checking... guess I'll know if my post remains.
Please take this issue to the moderators. We still can't help you with moderation issues.

Uluain
03.02.2012 , 12:49 PM | #975
Quote: Originally Posted by Galbatorrix View Post
So, what if the default for ALL flirt option was "off". You would then have the option to turn on "opposite sex flirtation", turn on "same sex flirtation" and a third option to turn on both.

That seems about as fair as you could possibly get for all parties involved. Does that sound fair to you guys/gals?
No.

How about including same-gender content with exactly the same mechanism as currently exists for opposite-gender content already - which no one objects to in that context - and you learn to get along just like everyone else does.

THAT is fair.

natashina
03.02.2012 , 12:52 PM | #976
Quote: Originally Posted by ProfessorCaprion View Post
Okay, not going to reply to any specific post because I'm sure it'll probably be deleted for being offensive before I can even finish typing this line. That's good, because it really WAS offensive! But anyway...

Something I've seen a few SGRA detractors throw out as an excuse to ban the content is the "guy playing a lesbian to get his kicks" argument. As if most of us were basement-dwelling loners who have to get jollies by seeing two girls together in a brief cut-scene, because clearly you can't find things any racier than that on the internet!

Even if that were the case and every single person fighting for SGRAs was just a guy wanting to see some Mako-on-Vette action...

... so what? Again, you're not forced to see this content unless you take the obviously labeled options that lead to it.

Furthermore (and again, we're living in hyperbole world where the game is played by nothing but lesbian-fetish men), this is still the addition of content! When BioWare adds PVP content, I don't fanatically oppose it or try to limit it so I can't see it. I don't argue that "PVP content? That's only added for a bunch of guys trying to make up for some inadequacies in their real lives!" Even though I do find PVP personally offensive, I don't feel the need to explain why I hate PVP and use my personal beliefs for any reason to limit in-game content.

Added content means more happy players. More happy players mean more money for the game. More money for the game means more resources to improve the parts YOU like.

I'd really like to believe that most of the player base is rational, and won't get upset at just seeing the possibility of something they don't like existing, of course.

Here's a hug! Come hang out on the couch. We've got puppies and kitties and sugar gliders! Trust me, it's better than feeding the trolls. Do you have any ideas about the possiblity of pets as a way to introduce new SGR and OGR content? I think it would help all those that are already 50 to have the chance to open up a romance arc. Say, buy it in the Fleet(the security key vendor idea is awesome!). Next to it, there would be a little note that says, "for romance" next to the pet. That way, you don't buy the wrong item and romance the wrong toon(i.e Getting Vette a kitten instead of an Underworld Good. Love Vette, but she's my lil sis) Then, I could romance DS Jaesa away and my poor SW won't be so lonely in her ship.

Edit: These "romance" pets would be purchasable by all people lvl 10 or up. That way, new toons(once they get their affection up with the companion to unlock flirts) can buy them up and start their romance too. No toggles, keep flirts to the left and a quick/easy way to start romances.

AquaSky
03.02.2012 , 12:54 PM | #977
Quote: Originally Posted by Uluain View Post
No.

How about including same-gender content with exactly the same mechanism as currently exists for opposite-gender content already - which no one objects to in that context - and you learn to get along just like everyone else does.

THAT is fair.
Except that lots of LGBT players have voiced sentiment (in this thread and others) along the lines of "I hate having to deal with hetero flirts, why can't I have an experience that I can tailor how I want ?", and that's acceptible while those who say they don't want s/s flirts for the same reasons are skewered and called hateful or bigoted. If it's okay for someone to want only s/s flirts, why isn't it okay for someone to only want o/s flirts ?

ProfessorCaprion
03.02.2012 , 12:56 PM | #978
Quote: Originally Posted by natashina View Post
Here's a hug! Come hang out on the couch. We've got puppies and kitties and sugar gliders! Trust me, it's better than feeding the trolls. Do you have any ideas about the possiblity of pets as a way to introduce new SGR and OGR content? I think it would help all those that are already 50 to have the chance to open up a romance arc. Say, buy it in the Fleet(the security key vendor idea is awesome!). Next to it, there would be a little note that says, "for romance" next to the pet. That way, you don't buy the wrong item and romance the wrong toon(i.e Getting Vette a kitten instead of an Underworld Good. Love Vette, but she's my lil sis) Then, I could romance DS Jaesa away and my poor SW won't be so lonely in her ship.
Actually, I would love to see pets in the game expanded on, in general. Giving one as a "companion to the companion" would be a good addition for ALL romances.

Yes, I saw the reference to Leliana and her nug earlier in the thread. I LOVED that whole arc, and Leliana was the only character in that whole game I could romance, no matter what gender my Warden was. When Morrigan was asking me what I saw in her, I wanted to throttle the witch! What's NOT to love about Leliana? She's an adorable redhead assassin-bard that loves animals.

And the accent... gracious me...

But anyway! I think, actually, giving a particular romance gift would be a better way to start ANY companion romance than looking for a "Flirt" option in their dialogue; that way there's no possible way you could even accidentally initiate one.

sparklecat
03.02.2012 , 12:57 PM | #979
Quote: Originally Posted by AquaSky View Post
Except that lots of LGBT players have voiced sentiment (in this thread and others) along the lines of "I hate having to deal with hetero flirts, why can't I have an experience that I can tailor how I want ?", and that's acceptible while those who say they don't want s/s flirts for the same reasons are skewered and called hateful or bigoted. If it's okay for someone to want only s/s flirts, why isn't it okay for someone to only want o/s flirts ?
Source, please.

People have said they hate having to deal with hetero flirts as a reminder of what they can't have. Not that they have a problem with them on their own merits.

natashina
03.02.2012 , 01:02 PM | #980
Quote: Originally Posted by AquaSky View Post
Simple matter of equality.

Fact: Bioware has said this is going to be in the game.

Fact: We're not saying that we want to remove o/s flirts and just leave in s/s flirts. We'd like the same opportunites that OGR always has. I'd like the romance options to be equal, not to prefer one over the other.

Fact: While some people are uncomfortable with being hitting on the o/s, that isn't the crux of the matter. They just want equal chance to romance companions that they already care for.